Wine Rack

Updated January 12, 2015
1.9

CEO

Don't work for Wine Rack

Current Employee - Wine Enthusiast in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Wine Enthusiast in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Wine Rack part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Wine Rack is learning about the wine. That being said, our online training hasn't been available for over a year because the powers that be don't seem to be able to get it up and running.

Cons

No consideration for the staff. They expect you to score 100% on Mystery Shops all the time, but don't give you the proper training to achieve it. They book your shifts just long enough that you don't qualify for a break. They ask for your availability then book you for whatever the store needs anyway.

Have some consideration for the Wine Merchants and the managers as well. Don't shake them up by transferring them to areas that are too far from home. It's a pretty awful way to treat your employees.

A very unhappy work environment.

I worked at Wine Rack

Pros

Very few. A discount on wine which will only make you drink more.

Cons

The great divide between management and part time staff. No full time shifts, minimum wage and an expectation that you will excel in a toxic culture with little in return.

Start behaving like you believe the company mantra. There is a very clear perception that front line workers are less than worthy of respect. Stop pretending that you are any better than the people you ask to represent the company. They put you to shame when they do their best and you belittle them for it.

Not bad, not good either.

Current Employee - Wine Merchant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Wine Merchant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Wine Rack

Pros

You get 3 free wines (usually whatever is one sale) per month

Cons

Everything else.
    -Minimum wage
    -Rigged performance reviews which they use to increase your salary
    -Have to be a clown butler for poor pay. They make your shove wine samples in people's faces and shake around a stupid sign to get people to sample their wine. Just plain cheesy marketing and salesmanship.

Get with the times with marketing and promotions if you really want to make a profit. Handing out wine and wasting much of it in the process will onlyl get your so far. Treat your employees like real people to avoid your high turn over rate.

Poor planning and empty promises.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Wine Rack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wine allotment was great, annual conference was insightful and enjoyable, and some of the customers could really brighten your day. Their employee stock purchase program is excellent.

Cons

Promised training never materialized, communications regarding performance incentive and annual merit increases were irregular and misleading, and definitely not transparent. The prospect of advancement is routinely dangled in front of you in order to spur on improved performance but they always seem to be filling the positions above you with external candidates. This is highly discouraging and a great way to let your company's best assets stagnate. The benefits package extended to Assistant Store Managers is paltry, especially when compared to full-fledged Store Managers. Oh, and Assistants don't report to a Store Manager but to the Area Manager in the same manner and with the same oversight as Store Managers - they just happen to run slightly lower-volume stores.

Pay your managers what they deserve. Get your message straight and stick to it. Provide employees with an actual path to advancement. Spend a week or two working full days at store-level and understand the reality of our jobs.

Cancerous upper management, mediocre retail tactics, no chance of moving up unless you're a dehumanized yes-man.

I worked at Wine Rack

Pros

The free wine you get once in a while, and even then they're never that great. The hours are also very flexible.

Cons

When I started at the Wine Rack I expected a bit of a classier job where I got to learn a lot about wine and be able to have rapport with regular customers. It didn't take long for me to realize that upper management couldn't care less how much you knew about wine, they just care about how much of an automaton sales dummy you can be. They rely on buzzwords and cheap corporate tactics to get as much as they can out of a customer. You're expected to go out on the street with a cardboard sign and try to get people into the store. A lot of the time this happens at midday, so all you get are dirty looks from people telling you it's far too early to be out on the street offering alcohol to passing families. Despite being told over and over again that this method of "fishing for customers" doesn't work, upper management just does not listen to you. It's gotten to a point that people avoid the store, and equate it with being a cheap, desperate, mediocre establishment.
    On top of this, there is a horrendous culture of blaming that goes on in management. When upper management sees that the ridiculously envisioned targets are not being met, they find a scapegoat in store managers and chew them out over inconsequential things, even though they have no control over the problem. This leads to making merchants stand outside in grape suits and wave around the cardboard sign like a dehumanized retail dummy.

You're supposed to be selling a classy product, and it isn't exactly the hardest product in the world to convince people to buy. If people want wine, they will come in to buy wine. If someone does not want wine, no amount of sign waving or dancing in grape suits will convince them to even come near the store.
    Start appreciating your wine merchants, and realize that rapport with customers is a much better base to build on than using cheap ploys that alienate customers.

Worst run company on the planet

Former Employee - "Assistant Manager" in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - "Assistant Manager" in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Wine Rack full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free wine, secure job after 3 months

Cons

As others have pointed out, upper management is a total disaster. These are people with zero ability, vision, product knowledge or general management skills. They have no concept of how to run a sustainable business and are 100% reliant on cheap gimmicks and scripted interaction to drive their sales. They seem unwilling to comprehend that a customer may someday return and would rather alienate them with abrasive, aggresive and transparent customer service techniques reinforced by a bizarre and vindictive mystery shop program.

I was very enthused going into this job and excited about running my own store but Wine Rack soon beat that out of me. There is a viscious blame culture in this company that comes straight from the top. They pay their employees the bare minimum and then treat them like horrible criminals that need to be punished. As management has no concept of how to actually run a business, I assume this is how they pretend to know what they're doing. The negativity is almost always unnecessary and unwarranted and results in intelligent, valueable employees fleeing while only those who can achieve nothing else stay put.

As a Wine Rack employee you will be routinely bullied to wear costumes, dance publicly and harass passersby with a bit of cardboard. This company is either too lazy or too stupid to consider any negative ramifications that could ever result from this in the long term and would prefer to bury their heads in the sand while they gain a reputation as desperate and aggressive. It is astonishing that upper management would force this policy on 165 stores without first trialing it or doing any research whatsoever for more than an hour. Store Managers who do not wish to humiliate themselves will be ruthlessly bullied while minimum wage Wine Merchants will have their hours reduced to nothing. Keep in mind that there are zero incentives for Wine Merchants to actually do this other than maintaining a thankless, minimum wage job.

I was constantly pressured to come in on my days off and Managers in my area are not allowed to take two days off consecutively. I made $15 an hour to manage a retail store, achieving huge profits while barely being able to pay my rent.

As I know Wine Rack is too arrogant to acknowledge the overwhelmingly negative sentiments of their employees I would like to address The President Of Constellation Canada, Ben Dollard. Ben, I understand that Wine Rack is a very small part of the company as a whole but not only is it terribly run in itself, it is tarnishing the image of your products. If you allow this behaviour to continue, the people of Ontario will forever equate the man/woman in the grapesuit that harrassed them in a shopping mall with Jackson Triggs and Inniskillin. It will affect your restaurant sales as these products will be seen as classless beverages that are not fit for any special occasion and will certainly prove detrimental to your LCBO sales as well. Wine Rack is deservedly earning a reputation as a horrendous place to work and they'd do well to read some of the other reviews here and reflect on what kind of company they'd like to be. Good riddance.

Seriously

Current Employee - Wine Rack Employee
    Current Employee - Wine Rack Employee

I have been working at Wine Rack part-time

Pros

Customers are great to talk too.

Cons

This company has huge potential. However, senior management's approach is all wrong, and is very unprofessional. Management lacks professionalism, leadership skills, customer service skills.
    No respect for frontline staff.
    No incentives for frontline staff.
    Management micro manages, however no rules for them, this includes their dress code (which is appaling).

The culture is very negative. Management loves to point out what you are not doing (for got to take out battery of small display) instead of watching the important things ie- your sales, impeccable customer service. Lets be honest....that's why they are still in business isn't it?
    Treat your staff right..........watch your sales soar. Pay us a compliment for a change, show us you noticed we met our targets, maybe we will then be more motivated.

It didn't take me long to see how disfunctional this place is.

Friendly and Positive Place to Work

Former Employee - Wine Merchant
    Former Employee - Wine Merchant

I worked at Wine Rack part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience with my managers. It was a friendly place to work and I really enjoyed learning about all the different wines. We were taught a great deal about going the extra mile with customer service.

Cons

Only paid .25 cents above minimum wage with no commission incentives. Decisions made by upper management often negatively affect front line staff.

Treat your retail sales associates better - Incentives are only offered to managers when it is the retail sales associates doing the work to get them to their sales targets.

Souless place to work!

Current Employee - Wine Merchant in Windsor, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Wine Merchant in Windsor, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Wine Rack part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Customers are awesome, and wine issue when they feel like giving them!

Cons

The Going the Extra Mile program is a waste of money that they paid some Little Migit to teach and he scamed them for and they just don't know when to let it die! They want you to be avaiable seven days a week but only give you 8 to 10 hours a week for which they think you should kiss their a__ for! And heaven forbid if they call at home and you don't answer the phone, it is held against you even when it is your day off and you are tending to your life and family. The pay sucks, you max out at 12.45 an hour no matter how long you have been there. Myself almost fifteen years. The new Bozo is a huge Liar! Sean Taylor has been around over a year and we learned anything that comes out of his mouth expect the total opposite. The first thing he said was he didn't want big turn overs. Well guess what that is exactly what he has accomplished!!!! I have never seen so many people come and go! The new hires don't last because they don't want to put up with the crap we have to do on a daily basis.They want us to wear grape suits and hold signs and dance around like idiots. We are told if ee don't are hours will get cut or fired . We are constantly harrassed or bullied into doing things we are not comfortable with, constantly introducing contests that only the store managers get the prize for. Why would I want to bust my but to send the Manager on a trip? Daddy did not raise no fool.Store managers tend to be good most times but there is loads of favoritism within the stores and even if a manger starts out good they (area managers and up to head office) beat them in to submission and they become monsters.the only way you will enjoy working for this company is if you become Souless and be a puppet with no brain and no life.I could go on and on about what is wrong with the place but there will not be enough space.Why do I stay? Because I do enjoy selling and chatting with customers and selling wine is pretty cool! But I am planning on leaving because they have just made doing the job I enjoy most the hardest and most difficult to do and really just is not.!

Actually listen to the salespeople. Pay better wages. Stop hiring so many people for the stores when the people there are begging for hours. Let signority actually mean something. Stop trying to re- invent retail. It is not that hard! Let the salespeople be themselves not the drones you insist they be.All a customer wants is to be treated nice, helped when needed and provide friendly real not scripted service! Get rid of the worthless people at head office who have no idea of what they are doing unless bad ideas and bad decisions are what you were hired to do .Then they would be perfect! Actually make the salespeople feel like they are doing a good job and stop with all the threat tactics and bullying. You can catch more worker bees with honey than vinegar!

Upper management is a nightmare

Current Employee - Wine Merchant
    Current Employee - Wine Merchant

I have been working at Wine Rack part-time (less than a year)

Pros

15 percent Discount on wine
    Free wine for employees to try at home
    Depending on location, customers can be a delight to interact with
    Flexible schedule for wine merchants

Cons

Upper management is completely incompetent and routinely lies to store level employees
    Forces employees to follow a script that alienates some customers
    Pay is abysmal for store managers and minimum wage for merchants
    Health and safety is violated by unsafe working conditions in some stock rooms
    Uniform and key were not provided after months of employment

Treat your low level employees with respect or the quality of the company will fall when you can't find competent employees willing to put up with your crap. This company could be amazing to work for