Winegardner & Hammons Reviews

J. Erik Kamfjord

Assistant General Manager

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Winegardner & Hammons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very loyal and honest company. Straight forward and do what they say. They are true to their word and take care of their staff to the very end. Very good training and want you to succeed with them or competitors.

Cons

Not many hotels. Not a lot of growth in the company portfolio.

2. Great company

I have been working at Winegardner & Hammons full-time

Pros

Smaller management company still growing though. Very focused on customer service Great coworkers

Cons

Smaller company makes growth elsewhere a bit limited.

3. Weird Company Culture and not very nice people

Former Employee - DOS
    Former Employee - DOS

I worked at Winegardner & Hammons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They paid better that the competition hotels. My first GM taught me a tremendous amount about Catering and, most importantly, a Good Leader.

Cons

The GM I worked for was a racisit and routinely used the "N" to describe hourly employees when the Department Heads of COlor were not in the room. I reported it and no action on Winegardner & Hammons part was ever taken. The Property Level HR was more concerned about getting a better office. They had a lot of rules but not much common sense.

Advice to Management

I would not help them, even if I could. Dreadful people on the Property and Regional Level.

5. Guest Service Representative

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative

I worked at Winegardner & Hammons full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer benefits, medical, dental, and vision. They also offer vacation time. The people they hire are a great group of people and their guest service standards are much higher than their franchise brands they own.

Cons

While they offer benefits, the out of pocket expense to most hourly employees is a good chunk of change out of your paycheck. Career advancement is difficult because most management positions are filled by outside applicants as opposed to promoted from internally. Upper management expects their hourly and property management to work wonders in the ways of ratings with outdated properties.

Advice to Management

Pay more of a living wage to hourly employees so that the benefits package isn't so burdensome and offer incentives to employees to stay and grow with the company by offering more opportunities for advancement within the company. Employees will be more than happy to support the brand when they feel the brand supports their professional growth. Invest in your older properties and understand that guest satisfaction can only be built to a certain degree when the front lines people have no control over the dated facilities that they work in.

This is where the greener grass is...

I have been working at Winegardner & Hammons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They care about their employees, they have high expectations, leaders in the industry for wages/salary.

Cons

So slow to change, technology-phobic, poor PTO plans.

Advice to Management

Its okay to save some trees and start allowing employees to use technology to be more efficient. Also, if you're looking for talented people, you may need to lower your educational standards for managers, the policy hurts more than helps.

7. Good company, managers care about you

Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Lansing, MI

I worked at Winegardner & Hammons part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

$1 employee meal, paid training and orientation. Nice people.

Cons

Low pays but increased after I left...

8. I loved them!

Former Employee - Bartender in Fairborn, OH
    Former Employee - Bartender in Fairborn, OH

I worked at Winegardner & Hammons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company was great! Great upper management that knew what they were doing and good benefits with great 401k. If you are willing to work hard you will be rewarded! Gallup would weed out losers and while there always though it was dumb but see the importance now!

Cons

Wish the pay was higher, could be seen as all boys club! A lot of managers , GM and AGM are men.

Advice to Management

Our hotel was sold and bought by different owners and now managed by a different company. Everyone at the hotel misses WHI and the perks of working for the company. Just be careful what you wish for. The grass is never greener on the other side!

Great to work for

I have been working at Winegardner & Hammons full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

fair compensation, great benefits, schedule flexibility, coworkers care about doing well, supportive management, many hotels in Eastern US for advancement or change

Cons

Difficult to advance, several roles are combined for heavy workloads, sales commissions calculated oddly, lots of pressure to make budgets which can lead to cutting corners for cost control

Advice to Management

With the changes that have been going on in ownership/upper management, I'm hoping to see some more growth opportunities become available

Great Company

Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Winegardner & Hammons full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very fair compensation, excellent growth potential, stable leadership, great values, always know where you stand, will teach you how to run a hotel correctly, people held accountable/grown based on results

Cons

Limited number of hotes in the portfolio

Advice to Management

Keep growing

Working here gives you no opportunity for advancement and you are underpayed for the amount of work that is expected.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Ash, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blue Ash, OH

Pros

Laid back company Hard to get fired

Cons

Computer systems outdated No opportunity for advancement Very low pay Benefits are poor More work expected without more pay

Advice to Management

Pay better to get more work and loyalty from employees Hire more to lessen workload on certain departments

RSS Feed </> Embed