Wingspan Portfolio

Updated October 11, 2014
Updated October 11, 2014
2.5

Steven Horne

The Titanic. Get off while you can.

Former Employee - N/A in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - N/A in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people in the site. My former co-workers including employees and peers and immediate manager and her peers. I'm trying to think of more positives and the coffee was decent and the bathrooms cleaned several times a day.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. "Power, Corruption & Lies" is an album from New Order and I really can't think of a better quote to describe this company. I promised myself I will stick to the facts and avoid the innuendo.

In February, 2013 Wingspan took over the site in Melbourne from Chase. They, being Wingspan, inherited the TOP performing site in all of JPMorgan Chase. We are talking about the largest bank in the United States. 200,000+ employees worldwide. Regardless of your opinion of Chase, they are the 800 pound gorilla in the room and to be the top site in lil' old Melbourne, Florida is quite an accomplishment.

Many employees had been through the WAMU days as the top performing site in that now defunct Saving's and Loan Company. Then five years ago many made the transition to Chase. It was a "Decade of Excellence," not to be confused with Motley Crue's greatest hits LP, "A Decade Of Decadence." This excellence and I should add it is due to the excellent knowledge and service provided by the front line associates, continued through out the last 18 months and included every metric that JPMorgan Chase looked for. Customer satisfaction was at an all-time high. Production and SLA's were being met consistently. QA and most importantly Reg. X and Reg. B violations from the Melbourne site were FAR lower than the rest of the other Chase sites.

Even with these outstanding credentials Wingspan lost the contract with Chase. Now either Wingspan Sr. Management is clueless on how to keep a top performing site OR (see first example.) Facts are facts and the fact is that Wingspan makes money on their hourly charge for their clients. Performance does not mean anything, apparently. There was a "unit based pricing" format that was presented to JPMorgan Chase which would have raised the rates they were being charged, even higher.

Regardless of what actually happened, the facts are that Chase decided to take their business 'in house' even with the added benefits and other costs they would incur. That and the fact that the groups that took over the business were far less experienced and customer satisfaction has in fact suffered only adds salt to the wounds.

Hundreds of excellent employees have in turn lost their jobs even though their performance as a third party vendor far surpassed the others in the company they were servicing. One can only point to total incompetence at the Sr. Management Level at Wingspan.

There are many other reviews which point to anything ranging from incompetence to outright nepotism and even racism at Wingspan. The events which led up to this loss of now almost 500 jobs in two sites is symptomatic of the the ineptitude of Wingspan's management as well as their skewed vision. People are not numbers. They matter. We matter. Hiring someone off the street with a high school education to fill these shoes is an insult to whatever company is supported. This is a house of cards that will fall and very soon.

The fact that the disease is top down essentially means that there is nothing that can really be done to change this culture. Steve Horne, the CEO, will most likely take the money and run within a few years and what happens after that is speculation. Very large contracts have been lost recently with B of A and Chase and one may wonder if there will be any substantial business at all for Wingspan in the near or far future.

FHA Claims Project

I have been working at Wingspan Portfolio

Pros

No pros, did have some awesome team members

Cons

Not permanent position, temporary until you find something else

Title varies

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Frisco, TX

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not too many Pros about this company other than the Location, and overtime when available since the pay was low with no promotions offered.

Cons

Not a place for educated and/or employees with extensive work experience. Highly Unethical, disorganized, inexperienced managers hand picked based on how a person is favored by upper management. Very low wages for educated adults and employees with families. A disregard for employees personal time outside of business hours. Use unethical tactics to threaten employees job security. HR is useless and allow the unethical behaviors to occur.

Hire mature, responsible, experienced and/or educated individuals to manage and pay employees based on merit not on popularity with management.

Unorganized unethical leaders

Current Employee - Mortgage Servicing in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Mortgage Servicing in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Wingspan Portfolio full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation was about the only highlight

Cons

Constant training changes, daily. No realistic vision for the future, the more unstable it became the more unpredictable and irrational plans became. Employees were able to see the writing on the walls with the demise of the presence in Texas.

With the current wind down of the Frisco Location, I am not sure there is any viable management. If there is going forward don't hire brother, sisters, aunts, uncles, mothers and children.or best friends.inbred staff. It does not allow for critical thinking, accurate planning. And above all do not hire any HR staff with a criminal record, how can they be an example ?
    Also there is no company that "works" the same staff until midnight, with nothing to do, just gouging your vendor.

Constant feeling of stress if you will have a job

I have been working at Wingspan Portfolio

Pros

Not many that I can think of- except for the phrase we hear almost every day. You should be greatful for your job. Hmmmm

Cons

Every single day you are in fear that you will not have a job. Benefits are VERY expensive. They take away paid holidays at the drop of the hat and at the last minute. No increase in pay but new employees brought in make $25k more a year from right off the street. "Furlough" folks all the time

Treat your employees at the very least like human beings. Not to be used as leverage for contracts. We are not a sweatshop country - take care if your employees like they mean something to your success and don't try to just use and abuse them

Horrible Company to Work For

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Payed me very well
    They do offer High Hourly and in certain positions you can make monthly bonus

Cons

Benfits are very expensive

All this company care's about is making money. They do not care about their empoyees. They are constanly loosing contracts because of the poor quality of work they produce.

Just because someone has a college degree, does not make them mangagement material.

Stay away if you have any other option

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio

Pros

It was a full-time job

Cons

Poorly managed, terrible benefits, lack of direction

Look for opportunities elsewhere

DSCR Customer Advocae

Former Employee - DSCR Customer Advocate in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - DSCR Customer Advocate in Frisco, TX

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people on the team that I worked with. They were awesome and I got to know them pretty well. There is some exposure to the mortgage industry, but don't count on "in-depth" industry knowledge like they market the job to be.

Pay wasn't bad.

Cons

Where do i start...
    - Most of the upper management team at DSCR were fairly incompetent. A lot of them seem to think they know what they're doing just because they have a title to a position.
    - Management does more talking than doing.
    - I've been around similar people enough to recognize when management talks a good talk but never follows up. When asked a question, no one in management seems to be able to give a straight forward answer. They'll take you around in circles about a bunch of unrelated things (usually bringing up company history or recent achievements), and think that at the end they've given a satisfying answer. In reality, they just strung together some corporate jargon and drizzled in a little company performance.
    - Management has "meetings" all the time. With the exception of layoffs, no one ever see the results of these "meetings".
    - Projects are contract based. As far as I know the company has not been able to maintain a contract consistently with their clients.
    - Mentioned this earlier, but don't expect any "in-depth" knowledge about the mortgage industry. You won't learn how to amortize a loan, you won't learn how to underwrite a loan, and you most certainly will not being learning industry trends. You'll learn about the various facets of loan mod programs, but you're still erring on the side of customer service than loan structuring. Please don't be fooled by any attempt to market the job as "gaining real experience in the mortgage industry". Honest description would be "writing letters to customers about loan issues".
    - With the exception of a few individuals, most people in management would not be able to provide you any assistance with your every day job.

Stop assuming you know what you're doing. Stop making a sales pitch every time you're addressing you're employees. Address the issues that your employees are worried about, not the issue that you think are important. Your employees don't care about where the company has been or where the company is headed. They care about whether they're still going to have a job the next day. If you can't give an honest answer to a basic question like that, you have no business in being in management.

You should also consider more carefully who you're keeping around. I don't even have to look at the books and I know some managers/people are there draining company revenue. They provide absolutely no value at all but are there because of whatever relationship they have.

Mr. CEO, take a good honest look at the management you've hired. Do they really have the qualifications to be doing their jobs as senior management.?You and I both know, for most of them, the answer is a resounding "no". Sure it's hard to let your friends go, but it sure as heck doesn't get easier when they've lost a contract and all they have to say is "well...there was this issue to consider, and this person didn't perform to our standards, and in this month this other issue came up..." I know you are smart enough to recognize when a person is full of BS when you hear one.

FHA Claims Anaylst

Former Employee - FHA Claim Analyst in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - FHA Claim Analyst in Frisco, TX

I worked at Wingspan Portfolio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

eco friendly they provide you with a tumbler and coffee mug

Cons

frequent layoffs, changing job titles to fit company needs

Very unprofessional work environment. Management is disrespectful to employees thru the way they communicate to them.

Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Wingspan Portfolio full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay and the benefits.

Cons

Micro management, worker bee, slavery environment.