Winmark Reviews

Reset
2.5
Winmark Chairman and CEO John L. Morgan
John L. Morgan

1. Loved the open door culture!

I worked at Winmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I liked being a part of the team at Winmark and felt the open door culture for asking questions and sharing ideas was unique. It was rewarding to have executive management available and present at the office. I enjoyed working for a company where value is placed on taking on challenges, hard work, speaking up, and contributing to the team.

Cons

You can't hide! You will be noticed and expected to take on more responsibility. If you want to be invisible or work a mundane routine without being held accountable...look elsewhere. I enjoyed this, so not really a con for me.

Advice to Management

I found Winmark to be a great company to work for and great team of people to work with.

Good 'ol boys club

I worked at Winmark full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great medical benefits. Great co-workers.

Cons

Management want you to keep silent. I witnessed bullying and sexual harassment. I also saw people who tried to bring attention to it, were fired or pressured to quit. Substandard performing employees treated same as hard workers. Hard workers were given even more work, while lazy people continued being lazy.

Advice to Management

Don't treat people the same....they aren't. Reward and recognized hard workers and stop coddling non-performers. Put your ego in check and really listen to the opportunities in the company. There are great ideas but employees know what will happen if they speak up

Live your job

Former Employee - Field Operantions Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Field Operantions Management in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Winmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional co-workers. Great parking and well maintained office environment.

Cons

You will not be able to start a family or have a balance of family and work. Benefits were reduced and increased in cost. Micro management allows senior level managers to drop their workloads on lower management. You must be in agreement with senior level management at all times. Major travel and they were looking to reduce benefits.

Advice to Management

You can't give advice to a group that doesn't want it.

Looks great from the outside

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Winmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great medical and dental, not much else.

Cons

Besides the poverty level wages and treacherous hours, this company NEEDS to invest in its infrastructure and people more. All of the software is sorely outdated and the infrastructure is sad. The store owners know it, the employees, know it, everyone knows, yet nothing is being done. If you're reading this and thinking of employment, just don't. Don't make the mistake I did and walk away.

Advice to Management

Invest in your company's infrastructure.

6. Great experience!

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Winmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is responsive to industry/market changes. A family friendly environment, exciting new sales VP, great training, great compensation, I see a long-term future with this company

Cons

You work hard, but you can make a great living, wish I could work from home one day a week.

Advice to Management

Continue with the current strategy, new VP of sales is great!

Well managed organization with much promise.

I have been working at Winmark full-time

Pros

Company is a good sized organization where employees have opportunity to be involved in many initiatives (if they show interest in doing so). Employees are cared for - especially when they may be going through tough times. Leadership decisions are well thought out.

Cons

Lean organization which can lead to employees wearing mutliple hats but this offers opportunity for experience.

Frustrating job where egos rule over common sense

I worked at Winmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great medical benefits Great brands

Cons

Does not get rid of lazy or incompetent people. Views employees who questions (even respectfully) management as troublemakers. "Good 'ol boys club including bullying and sexual harassment

Advice to Management

Put your ego in check and listen to the people that question, they are bringing up concerns to make company better

Pass on working for this company, will never compensate for effort. No Incentive

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Winmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good HealthCare. Other than that this company will just use and discard you. The building looks nice from the outside. Not really any pros which is quite unfortunate.

Cons

Everything Else. Salary is far below standard, Life\Work balance is awful. Wear far too many hats at this company. No Growth potential. Zero appreciation.

Advice to Management

Listen to your Staff and stand up for them. When everyone is disgruntled that should waive a red flag

Fast-paced, high stress, and in need of stronger employer to employee communication.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Winmark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits package, specifically, health insurance and 401K

Cons

Work/life balance, Advancement opportunities, Company Culture is in need of review/ change

I did not enjoy working for Winmark, it was my worst employment experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Established Company Great Concept for Stores

Cons

Winmark is a company that is doing well, yet still does not give the proper financial recognition to it's employees. I overheard one of the executives take pride in the fact that they were a low paying company! Also, there is a glass ceiling that can be felt, and a good ol' boys mentality at the top.

Advice to Management

Diversify and share.

RSS Feed </> Embed