Winn-Dixie Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
2.6

Winn-Dixie CEO Randall Onstead
Randall Onstead

Pros
  • Nice people to work with flexible schedule (in 19 reviews)

• They offer flexible hours so you can make the job work for you (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Only 2 people in each department can be considered full time and get 40 hours a week (in 24 reviews)

• Unrealistic expectations from upper management and corporate (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people

Former Employee - Center Store Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Center Store Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Winn-Dixie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement with hard work

Cons

Long hours, understaffed, more personel time needed.

Managers need family time too.

Getting worse all the time!

Former Employee - Bakery Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Bakery Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Winn-Dixie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With so much work you don't need to pay for the gym.

Cons

The company had lost focus on the costumer. And by that they treat their employees like crap. Too much work too little time. They expect the department managers to work 3 times harder than anybody... but don't you dare going overtime.

Be aware of the needs of each individual department. Don't generalize and don't based the hours on sales.

Very unprofessional management.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Winn-Dixie part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have many locations in Florida so you have multiple locations to choose from. Decent pay for not having to drive too far.

Cons

Management was severely lacking in professionalism. For a while, we were not even allowed to have water bottles at our registers, but the assistant manager would stand on the front line daily enjoying a donut & coffee. Another assistant manager refused to attempt to learn names. We would be called by incorrect names with no attempt to correct the mistake.

Center Store Lead - 10 years

Current Employee - Center Store Lead in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Center Store Lead in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Winn-Dixie full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Winn Dixie for 10 years now. It was my first job that eventually became my career. I see a lot of people complaining about hours but I'm sure these are the same people that are lazy and not very beneficial to the stores. Thus they are expendable. Since the merger, I see it as a positive step for the company. Not only are they buying more stores across the board but they are cutting the "fat" out of the company. Which in turn will allow for advancement, if you put in the work and make yourself known.

Cons

They really need to focus on who our lazy Store directors and upper managenent is and weed them out. It's time for a new era of management to take over in our stores. This being said, how do you ever expect to move forward with growth and continued opportunity if we keep these old, tired store directors that have been with the company for over 20 years? They are set in the old way and can't adapt very well to the new ways. They are also the ones that are the most lazy. I'm not saying that all the store directors are like that, but the last 3 that I had were only at the store long enough to send some emails or see if the district manager was going to stop by. Other than that, they were gone by 1 pm! Not really there to direct or give guidance but more interested in getting back to their bike week festivities.

Really need to start weeding out the old, tired management. They are simply riding company payroll and serve no beneficial purpose. This coming from a 10 year veteran of the company that has seen and worked in lots of different stores over the years.

OK, I guess

Former Employee - Cashier in Dunedin, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dunedin, FL

I worked at Winn-Dixie part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They help out with your scheduling. The management is usually pretty nice. They try to foster a feeling of being on a team among employees. Gas perks. 5% off of your shopping there. Other employees are usually pretty nice.

Cons

Overworked for low wages. Retrieving carts can be tedious when there's more outside then one person can get a lone. Injuries can result as overworking yourself. As a cashier, customers are sometimes extremely rude, and let you know it.
    When you receive a lot of praise from customers, sometimes management will look away, and give promotions to another employee. The work can be monotonous at times. Intelligence of the employee is overlooked for their physical ability to get carts.

Don't overlook your best workers. A lot of customers continuously told management I should receive a promotion, or pay raise. Nothing was done, and the managers didn't care.
    Make sure everyone knows their work times.

Service team member

Current Employee - Service Lead in Valdosta, GA
    Current Employee - Service Lead in Valdosta, GA

I have been working at Winn-Dixie part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, room for advancement, feel valued

Cons

Pay, management, unprofessional environment, and favoritism

A friendly environment to begin spreading your wings in.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Martinsville, VA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Martinsville, VA

I have been working at Winn-Dixie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job is good with young and inexperienced workers. They are willing to teach and cross train you. They offer flexible hours so you can make the job work for you.

Cons

They mostly hire part time workers which they did not offer insurance to and it proved difficult to get a full time position.

Please consider hiring more full time employees or offering part time employees benefits.

My experience has been great!

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Brooksville, FL
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Brooksville, FL

I have been working at Winn-Dixie full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've always enjoyed the Winn Dixie family at my current store! I get a long with all employees within and without the pharmacy! Everyone is kind and has personality! I'm full time and glad to get 40 hours a week! I get great and cheap benefits!

Cons

The only compliant I really have is how the company has downgraded since bi lo took over!

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Produce Associate in Pinellas Park, FL
    Current Employee - Produce Associate in Pinellas Park, FL

I have been working at Winn-Dixie part-time (less than an year)

Pros

flexible hours and friendly co workers.

Cons

only willing to give you 20 hours a week

Appreciate your employees more.

Unappreciated

Current Employee - Store Director
    Current Employee - Store Director

I have been working at Winn-Dixie full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Regular paycheck, work with some good people.

Cons

Not enough hours to run store. Having your job threatened by corporate level people who don't care about anything but lining their own pockets. CEO is detached and cold towards the people that are making money for the company.

Stop looking at tenured people as just someone to get rid of. Winn-Dixie used to be a great place to work. Now you hope you still have a job on the drive home.

Winn-Dixie Photos