Winn-Dixie Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
2.6

Winn-Dixie CEO Randall Onstead
Randall Onstead

Pros
  • Nice people to work with flexible schedule (in 19 reviews)

• They offer flexible hours so you can make the job work for you (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Only 2 people in each department can be considered full time and get 40 hours a week (in 24 reviews)

• Unrealistic expectations from upper management and corporate (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience at Winn Dixie has given me a chance to explore the retail world of employment.

Current Employee - Floral Associate in Eustis, FL
    Current Employee - Floral Associate in Eustis, FL

I have been working at Winn-Dixie part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that I work with are friendly and I have accomplished a great clientele.

Cons

The challenges of working for Winn Dixie is that I can not get over 25 hours a week and the pay is low.

Worked 32 years for the company.

Former Employee - Location Director in Meridian, MS
    Former Employee - Location Director in Meridian, MS

I worked at Winn-Dixie full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was a good company when it was family owned.

Cons

Fired for making too much money

Quit firing the people who made you what you are today

It was ok

I worked at Winn-Dixie

Pros

Meeting new people, helping customers

Cons

Not enough hours, not able to advance

None at the moment

Good starter job

Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Spring Hill, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Spring Hill, FL

I have been working at Winn-Dixie part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, Decent hourly wage, good starting out job

Cons

Not much room for advancement unless you're a favorite

no comment

Aug 27, 2014Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition & Workforce Planning

We want you and every associate who works hard and provides great customer service to find the right fit with the company. I would recommend sitting down with your manager and talking about your ... More

good company for first time job

Current Employee - Cashier in Gulf Breeze, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Gulf Breeze, FL

I have been working at Winn-Dixie (less than an year)

Pros

The company has a good training plan they work with you to give you the confidence you need. There is room for growth in the management positions

Cons

Their schedules were hard to follow if you did not get enough hours with them you could not except another job because you never had the same schedule

It seems if the part time jobs were consistent with certain days or hours that employee that needed more hours could seek more work elsewhere .

Aug 27, 2014Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition & Workforce Planning

Unfortunately, schedules have to be made when customers are in the store not when the sun is shining on the beaches in Gulf Breeze, FL which would be awesome but not realistic with business needs.

A job worth avoiding

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Saint Augustine, FL
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Saint Augustine, FL

I have been working at Winn-Dixie part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Close location to my home makes it a walking commute. Customers were friendly most of the time.

Cons

The management is very rude. They go out of the way to make sure you know they are the boss, and what they will not do, that you must do. They make you feel like a disposable commodity. The pay is as close to minimum wage as they can get it. They like to work people on very short shifts. They ask you be there 4-5 hours in the middle of the day and take a lunch. They do not allow you to exceed 25 hours a week. So you end up working 23.5 hours after lunches are taken out. Its about them, and the needs they have. They will not promote, but when they hire you they make false promises.

No Time for Employees

Former Employee - Guest Service Lead in Brunswick, GA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Lead in Brunswick, GA

I worked at Winn-Dixie part-time (more than an year)

Pros

What I liked best was how close it is to my home and that I see lots of people I know, which means I was able to help a lot of them. Especially the older people who went there to shop. I like the cleanliness of the store also.

Cons

I didn't like how they kept cutting our hours, but kept hiring new people. Even though I was a Guest Service Lead, for the last few months of my employment there, they kept putting on as a cashier. When I went and asked why, they would tell me that the hours were cut and working as a cashier was the only way to get me hours. But yet, I would see new people working where I was hired to work! They never told me I did anything wrong, but kept cutting my hours. Also, a manage would be talking with me about nothing in particular and after they walk off, one of my co-workers (they, as I, were in the position to give such information) would tell me that the manager told her to tell me thus and so. I never understood why the manager wouldn't tell me themselves! .

Talk with your employees and let them know what is going on!!!

Seeking a career? Don't go here.

I worked at Winn-Dixie full-time

Pros

flexible work schedule for those in school, easy to get a job as a cashier or bagger

Cons

Office culture is atrocious and employees are vindictive. Managers do little to discourage favoritism, and fail to adhere to codes of conduct.

Horiible

I have been working at Winn-Dixie

Pros

There aren't any, stay away.

Cons

This is a very cheap company, who only thinks of the bottom line.

do better

This was not for me

Former Employee - Center Store Manager in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Center Store Manager in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Winn-Dixie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company’s administrative level management strives in a positive direction and remains customer service focused. The training you receive is slightly dated but they are faithful in following monthly computer based training scenarios. The benefits are okay and if you buy your prescriptions, its best to get them with the company’s pharmacy because of the price savings.

Cons

I cannot speak for all Winn-Dixie retail outlets but at some store levels are a certain number of long term management that keep an “old school” mentality which includes berating workers while some store directors may have an untouchable attitude that generally bully lower management in some stores. You do have a job to do, but there are times when you will feel like this is not the job for me and want to move on to a more organized retail store chain. As a former manager, I had to manage my subordinates while remaining under an “iron thumb” on how I can manage them. Meaning I was micromanaged to death and had very little room to apply my team building techniques until I figured out how to work around this problem. As far as pay goes, don’t get low-balled. You can expect to make about 12.00 to 15.00 per hour as an assistant store manager even with experience and you will not get raises like you are told when you are hired. Slow to issue pay raises, slow with change, slow to react to employee needs but quick to save their job by playing the blame game on others.

I have the point of view that you must earn your pay every day and do right by your subordinates and customers every day. I have been in a Winn-Dixie location since I left and notice that (slowly) you are trying to make the changes you need to make your company successful. Keep cleaning house because the fine people I have had the honor of knowing deserve better managers and store directors.

Aug 27, 2014Sr. Manager, Talent Acquisition & Workforce Planning

I am sorry this wasn't for you, Retail can sometimes be extremely fast paced and very demanding but for those of us who this is for, we love the challenge. Everyone leads differently and everyone ... More

Winn-Dixie Photos