Winners Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.1

Winners CEO The TJX Companies, Inc. Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Fast paced, always something to do, room to grow, benefits, get schedules in advance, nice staff (in 5 reviews)

• people that you work with are great, training very easy and understandable, co-workers are friendly (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate (been there 6 years and have seen way too many people come & go) (in 5 reviews)

• I get paid quite a bit more (they start you off above minimum wage and give you raises every year) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Winners part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people
    fast paced environment
    Cooperative workers

Cons

Understaffed
    sales floor gets messy very quickly

Schedule more people on floor

Great Entry-level experience

I worked at Winners for more than 3 years

Pros

You will be able to learn a great set of skills which will be put to use in future jobs.

Cons

Very repetitive tasks and the work is not very fulfilling.

The worst experience related to retail where a large store is understaffed and the staff are overworked.

Current Employee - Store Associate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Winners part-time for more than a year

Pros

You will find many friendly co-workers - hopefully as you stay with the company for a while. Managers tend to be pretty nice for the most part and seem like regular people at times; they can be a little pushy at times; this really becomes a bummer if you are a full-time student and they try to make your life difficult. Discounts aren't too special but at times employees get 20% off regularly marked down merchandise.

Cons

If you think Winners will be a professional store then forget it. The company literally overworks you. Some locations seem like two storey factories and in them, you have only 6 people working two floors. Managers tend to be pushy and try to get maximum work out of you. Pay is ridiculously low for the amount of work they make you do - not to mention the nonsense you have to deal with in terms of some management and customers.

A store associate is made to adopt various positions that would normally be unheard of in mainstream retail. In Winners, your sales associate becomes the cashier/ fitting room attendant/ merchandise processing coordinator among many things. What's worse is that they receive little to no training in their roles and the managers expect too much from them (often jeopardizing their safety). Associates get tossed around in different departments regardless of their competency in the respective sections. Little effort is put on placing associates in the departments they prefer/ specialize in so that this may maximize revenue; home is your department regardless of how horrible you are at it and so can be the kids department.

Winners is the best at playing by the customers' rules. I mean, safety matters once they see us but not so much if they do not (many cases). Customers turn into wild geese (metaphorically of course) once they notice a lack of regulation in maintaining store integrity; merchandise can be ripped open (underwear packages/ shirt packages) without any repercussions. It is almost as if we are relying on customers to do this so that they may return - knowing that we have loose policies. The company emphasizes shrink goals whereas much of the depreciation in stock comes from the practices mentioned. Oh yeah, employees are treated like potential criminals while customers do whatever they want (for the most part); yeah, that is fair.

Scheduling is horrible. You get hours when you do not need it and don't when you do. People do not get to climb the corporate ladder easily; I knew people working there for a long time and they were not even made supervisors. Managers come in and out like laundry; there are so many new managers that you sometimes lose track of the names. Associates have a great turnover thanks to the brilliant policies and lack of support they receive during their job. Did I forget to mention that the job is stressful? That is a huge factor for students; we do not need more stress on top of our studies rather need something to soothe all the other stress down.

I apologize for the rant. If I had a corporate button, I would have completely overhauled the company. I mean, they do not even know their target marketing audience; they try to sell to as many people as they can and this comes as random to many customers. Why try to sell everything when you can focus on selling awesome clothes with really good service? Perhaps this is what gives Winners an edge in some respects. However, it takes a lot more to get into the league of mainstream retailers.

Sorry for the huge rant - its good to let all of this out =)

Chill out. Hire more people and train them. Pay them right and appreciate them. Focus on your marketing audience and narrow them down. Don't look for mercy shoppers - those who come back because you let them wreck your merchandise. Managers - stop switching them around. Stop shifting the look of the store every time; it confuses the shoppers.

Fix yourself TJX Canada. Stop being cheap.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

survivor job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Winners part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Flexible working hours
    -Good cultural Values
    -Store Discounts

Cons

-Chipper Salary
    -Low compensations & Benefits
    -Never give you lay off ,so you can not apply for E.I
    -If they don't want you , they just don't give you hours until you quit

Hard work

Current Employee - P/T Sales Associate  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - P/T Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Winners part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly staff, 10 percent discount, can take time of when you need to.

Cons

Low pay, hard work, no overtime, no full time opportunities

Reward the hard workers. Equal work loads for all. Lazy workers should be demoted. Work life balance would be great if pay was higher. We have to work as much as possible to pay rent and buy food.

Work environment is alright, but people are great

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Winners part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people. I have worked at Winners during school and management is very flexible with my schedule.

Cons

If you're an associate you get paid very little, but from what I have heard the AM's and managers get paid quite well. Stressful work environment. Time limits enforced.

I have worked with some great managers, but I have noticed that every manager has a different policy about what is wrong and what is right, so it becomes frustrating to hear different things. Some consistency would be great.

Winners Sales Associate

I worked at Winners

Pros

Good hours, understanding of schedule

Cons

management tends to change quiet often

Great atmosphere

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Winners part-time for more than a year

Pros

-good people
    -finding great deals
    - merchandise and organize if that's what you like
    - fun atmosphere
    -approachable management
    -good diversity of people
    -flexible work hours

Cons

-not enough hours
    -can be stressful when busy
    -not much room for advancement

-better discount
    -more hours
    -more staff at busy times

Loathed working at Winners

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator  in  Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I worked at Winners part-time for less than a year

Pros

Initial training is very helpful. It introduces individuals to the work ethics and what is required of the individual once he joins Winners. Individual get hazard training as well.

Cons

Unprofessional environment. There is camaraderie between the employees. The trust factor which is so important between the employees lacks at all levels.

Stop acting like a Big Brother

How did they place 38th on Canada's Great Places to Work??

Current Employee - Part Time Store Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Store Associate

I have been working at Winners part-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff and sometimes the management are nice people. The staff helps each other out in stressful situations. If you are a part timer, your schedule is very flexible and as long as you give the schedule manager advance notice, it's easy to get time off. The 20% friends and family weekends are a nice perk and it needs to be done more often.

Cons

As a part timer, you hardly get any hours (especially if the managers want to play favourites when creating the schedule). The only people that are guaranteed hours are the full timers (which are only 2 people in my store), shift supervisors (aka co-ordinators) and management. So the majority of the staff hardly gets any hours. The pay isn't very good due to lack of hours.
     It's annoying when the management doesn't want to spend the money to properly train you in different areas of the store but they complain that you are not properly cross trained or they throw you into a new position and get mad when you don't do your job properly.
    I'm trying to get into a position at head office and the managers don't make if easy to move up if they don't like you. Managers have to give an employee an endorsement before submitting the application. Without the endorsement, your application is dead in the water.

Appreciate your staff, try to be more impartial, invest in cross training employees and reduce the amount of red tape involved in trying to move up or around in the company.

Worked for Winners? Contribute to the Community!