Winrock International

Updated August 5, 2014
Updated August 5, 2014

4.1

Rodney Ferguson

Excellent learning experience . Love the overall mission of this organization.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Flexible schedule, great work environment, great co-workers, family oriented

Cons

Low pay, little room for career advancement, poor training

Invest in training.

Executive Assistant

Pros

The organization continues to support, provide natural resources and assist the disadvantage in over 60 other countries across the world. In addition to the work we do in those countries, we also have a stellar health insurance package and other benefits that allow employees to prepare for their future. In some cases, employees have the option of telecommuting and/or flexible working hours. The office culture is different from what I'm use to, however I am still learning about what we do and the people I work with.

Cons

Currently have no cons --- I love my job. I have only been here a little over a year and I couldn't have asked to be apart of a better organization.

Communicate effectively across the board. Continue to promote within. Provide support to staff and training.

Backstopper

Current Employee - Senior Program Associate  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Associate in Arlington, VA

Pros

Challenging work, travel opportunities, ability to apply my skills, learn from others. I like that I can talk to my peers and go to external meetings.

Cons

Workload is different depending on your project and how strong the field is. Also the different groups sometimes get in the way of what is best for our field staff.

Help program managers more. Make the changes deeper. Share information so we can help.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Future

Pros

The organizational culture is very friendly and collaborative. Employees are committed to and passionate about the work. The new leadership is infusing a more business-minded and more structured/operational approach to the business side of development work.

Cons

Staff who have been here a long time are sometimes committed to how things were done in the past vs. looking forward and understanding why we need to have more and improve operational standards and practices.

More resources to staff development and training, project management training, USAID rules and regulation training, cost principles, etc.

So much better - keep up changes

Current Employee - Program Associate II  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Associate II in Arlington, VA

Pros

I think that people who like working at Winrock need to say so. Only people who are upset in a minute post here. There are a lot of good changes going on finally. The increased number of contracts is a good thing which means more work and more opportunities to contribute and travel. I like the new people and new focus on strategy . Nice people and enough resources to do the work.

Cons

History of complaining all the time.

Update the systems. Keep doing what you are doing. May even need to change a few more senior managers who still act the old way of not sharing and letting their staff collaborate

Great people doing great work

Current Employee - Director  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

Pros

Lots of opportunity to do meaningful work. From top down, people are easy to work with. Great mission. Very inclusive with opportunities to participate in implementing projects but also to help with the organization's efforts with strategic planning, developing internal processes, etc.

Cons

Some internal turbulence with the growth period during the last few years but the turbulence is abating with the new senior management.

Senior management is heading in the right direction. Focus on efforts that define Winrock as a unique organization above the rest.

Winrock International - excellent place to work

Current Employee - Program Officer  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Officer in Arlington, VA

Pros

Diverse portfolio, opportunity for staff at all levels, flexibility, global focus, secure funding and nice office space. There is a lot of opportunity to work on proposal,s travel, work with staff in other countries and to learn new areas of focus. Winrock has grown a lot and is implementing new systems to support the needed changed as a result of the growth.

Cons

Need to build new systems faster. On the right track with strategic planning and operations reviews.

Sipped up change, promote equity. Some staff work a lot more than others

organization on the move!

Current Employee - Director  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

Pros

Deep technical expertise, motivated and smart staff, energized and some new senior leadership, healthy balance sheet, flexible work schedules, solid benefits, wide range of program areas, flexibilty to perform and many opportunities to contribute. Fun place.

Cons

Processes are catching up with growth. Work life balance is good with some staff exercising more flexibility than others due to supervisors-HR needs to work on this.

Keep up with the changes. Keep involving the staff.

Lifelong passion and commitment to the unique mission

Pros

Winrock has a broad technical mission that includes everything from economic growth and production to empowerment. These can be applied broadly to accomplish important development and human objectives. If you can dream it, connect it to the mission, find the funding then you can do it!

Cons

Like any organization Winrock has developed layers of administrative processes and controls all aimed at compliance. This is important to insure all donors that $ is spent appropriately. Unfortunately this contributes to inefficiency and frustration in the implementation of programs. Things move too slow. Winrock has also been reluctant to embrace organizational change that allows us to refocus and promote career path in the organization particularly upward in management. However I sense this is changing.

Prepare for a changing environment. Listen to lower and middle staff. The youngsters are incredibly gifted and focused.

Wonderful place to work, solid colleagues, interesting work, minimal drama, high mutual respect.

Current Employee - Program Associate  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Associate in Arlington, VA

Pros

Genuinely good people to spend your days around, little gossip, talented and dedicated colleagues, international travel for those on the programmatic side, beautiful office with lots of natural light.

Cons

Unclear what the advancement opportunities are. Individuals' experience seems to be linked directly to who they work under. Long(er) hours are the norm. Inefficient internal processes that needlessly slow things down.

Help the younger ambitious people see a path for advancement. Clear up needlessly inefficient internal processes.

Worked for Winrock International? Contribute to the Community!