Winrock International

Updated November 22, 2014
Updated November 22, 2014
3.8

Rodney Ferguson

Transition but still a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Program Officer
    Current Employee - Senior Program Officer

I have been working at Winrock International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work on many different tasks, good colleagues, good salary and benefits, improving systems, friendly environment, Fridays off sometimes, fun Halloween and Thanksgiving shows morale going the right direction. I don't know when changes will be over but think new staff so far are good. They are trying to create career paths.

Cons

Changes mean staff reorganized and some staff are being made redundant. This is sad. It is hard to know what is going on.

Tell us the plans. What is happening to programs? Other NGOs are also laying off so it is hard to know what to do.

NEW BELTWAY BANDIT

Current Employee - Program Officer
    Current Employee - Program Officer

I have been working at Winrock International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I joined Winrock years ago because I believed in the mission and I trusted the senior leadership. I also admired the legacy of the Founder and how the past leadership worked hard to create a positive working environment. While there was always room for improvement, there was always a basic level of trust and commitment from staff that made Winrock unique and not the typical Beltway Bandit.

The Pro is that I've found Winrock benefits better than most.

Cons

The Con is that I find it truely sad Winrock just become another BELTWAY Bandit when it laid off a bunch of experienced junior staff and kept building office space for more new Bosses in the DC Office. Laying off and forcing a bunch of experienced staff to leave so we can hire new Bosses, consultant buddies, and hold Board meetings at lavish locations - REALLY - THINK WE DON"T NOTICE?

Hire some new bosses that have actually been successfull a the executive level leading an internatinoal development company.

Hire Board members who can see through smoke and know what is needed to lead an international development company.

BIG TRANSITION

Former Employee - Director in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Director in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Winrock International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The last 7 years were very exciting with Winrock doubling in size with growth in all three program groups. Winrock gives staff 10% for pension and vests after one year. Life insurance is 3x salary. All staff get 4 weeks vacation after 2 years and the work schedule for US staff gives you every other Friday off because the normal work day is 9 hours. The Little Rock office is the HQ and has about 75 staff while the other office is in Crystal City with about 75 staff. Most of the Little Rock staff are long-term and truly care about the mission of helping others help themselves. Medical benefits are also very generous and the monthly cost is based on your salary so the higher paid staff pay more. Lastly, the people working in the field and dedication of US staff to support them is great.

Cons

As a guy who spent 20+ years with large "for profits", I was as attracted to Winrock by the fact the prior CEO and COO wanted to run Winrock like a for-profit but keep its unique values and culture. They were successful and doubled the size of Winrock and then retired. The new CEO of 16 months never ran a company but did a great job of listening to staff and making everyone feel comfortable. Since his background is in marketing and communication consulting, he brought in a several consulting companies to help create a strategy and strengthen project management. I've been through these exercises many times before and my main concern was the lack of transparency, time lines and details. From a distance it looks ok but when you get closer ask what was actually accomplished and how is the organization actually performing, it gets kind of iffy. Right now the organization is kind "Chilled" and many staff are in a wait and see mode.

My concern is that there has been a lot of talk and money spent on consultants but nothing has really impacted the staff. For example, another INGO I know started the change process at the same time as Winrock and they have already created and are almost done training their staff in a "project management certification" tailored to their company. They also tend to tap the resources from within the company before they hire consultants. My advice is to hire a Sr. Program VP or COO who has successfully led a large Development INGO for more than 5 years. They will know how to standarize processes and create a career path for young staff that allows them to cross program silos.

Great Company in the Past - not sure about Future

Current Employee - Program Officier
    Current Employee - Program Officier

I have been working at Winrock International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and most supervisors are very supportive of work/life balance. Almost every employee is on a schedule where you get every other Friday off so you have a long weekend. Lots of long term employees who really care about the people they serve. Offices are very open and company is committed to being "green".

Cons

Not much training or opportunity to advance. Not really a con but I'm not sure what the new CEO who was hired over a year ago plans to do. He was a communication consultant in the past and had never been a CEO before. He has brought in a bunch of consultants and we've completed a bunch of surveys. He is a very good talker and seems nice but we don't see many specifics.

Most people won't say it but we feel like we are on a train in a tunnel and we don't know who is driving (consultants or ?), don't know what track we are on, and don't know if the light is another train or the promised land.

I'll be patient but I don't want to be in the engine.

Excellent learning experience . Love the overall mission of this organization.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Winrock International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great work environment, great co-workers, family oriented

Cons

Low pay, little room for career advancement, poor training

Invest in training.

Backstopper

Current Employee - Senior Program Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Winrock International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work, travel opportunities, ability to apply my skills, learn from others. I like that I can talk to my peers and go to external meetings.

Cons

Workload is different depending on your project and how strong the field is. Also the different groups sometimes get in the way of what is best for our field staff.

Help program managers more. Make the changes deeper. Share information so we can help.

Executive Assistant

I have been working at Winrock International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The organization continues to support, provide natural resources and assist the disadvantage in over 60 other countries across the world. In addition to the work we do in those countries, we also have a stellar health insurance package and other benefits that allow employees to prepare for their future. In some cases, employees have the option of telecommuting and/or flexible working hours. The office culture is different from what I'm use to, however I am still learning about what we do and the people I work with.

Cons

Currently have no cons --- I love my job. I have only been here a little over a year and I couldn't have asked to be apart of a better organization.

Communicate effectively across the board. Continue to promote within. Provide support to staff and training.

The Future

I have been working at Winrock International

Pros

The organizational culture is very friendly and collaborative. Employees are committed to and passionate about the work. The new leadership is infusing a more business-minded and more structured/operational approach to the business side of development work.

Cons

Staff who have been here a long time are sometimes committed to how things were done in the past vs. looking forward and understanding why we need to have more and improve operational standards and practices.

More resources to staff development and training, project management training, USAID rules and regulation training, cost principles, etc.

So much better - keep up changes

Current Employee - Program Associate II in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Associate II in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Winrock International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I think that people who like working at Winrock need to say so. Only people who are upset in a minute post here. There are a lot of good changes going on finally. The increased number of contracts is a good thing which means more work and more opportunities to contribute and travel. I like the new people and new focus on strategy . Nice people and enough resources to do the work.

Cons

History of complaining all the time.

Update the systems. Keep doing what you are doing. May even need to change a few more senior managers who still act the old way of not sharing and letting their staff collaborate

Great people doing great work

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Winrock International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to do meaningful work. From top down, people are easy to work with. Great mission. Very inclusive with opportunities to participate in implementing projects but also to help with the organization's efforts with strategic planning, developing internal processes, etc.

Cons

Some internal turbulence with the growth period during the last few years but the turbulence is abating with the new senior management.

Senior management is heading in the right direction. Focus on efforts that define Winrock as a unique organization above the rest.