Winter Park Resort Reviews

Gary De Frange

1. Big mountain resort in a small mountain town

Current Employee - Administrative in Winter Park, CO
    Current Employee - Administrative in Winter Park, CO

I have been working at Winter Park Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are friendly, approachable, and down-to-earth. Honestly, it's pretty refreshing to work someplace where most everyone *wants* to be there. Or at least it seems that way. Everything here revolves around the outdoors (skiing, biking, rafting, community sports like softball, etc). What really matters to other people here is what you genuinely like to do for fun, and the outdoors is pretty universal. As a business Winter Park seems to strongly prefer to hire and promote from within -- there are real opportunities to take next steps if you decide this is someplace you want to be. On the admin side even entry-level people often get to work on some really big, cool, complex stuff.

Cons

It's a big mountain resort. Holiday weekends and Spring Break are huge. On the other hand, for most of us there are some low seasons (May, October) during which there might not be much work available. It's a small town. You're close to Denver (60 minutes to C-470, 90 minutes to downtown) but you won't find big box stores on this side of Berthoud Pass.

Advice to Management

Loved seeing the Ski Train back this year. Hopefully there's more service where that came from!

2. Lodging I have worked here a year- getting worse fast

I worked at Winter Park Resort full-time

Pros

Pass to alot of resorts in Colorado.

Cons

My supervisor is sneaky. At first she liked her full timers. Since she has taken us in private, tell us its safe to speak and it will be kept between us. The information has circulated throughout the business and everyone knows our business. She treats us as sneaky when we haven't given her a reason to. There has been alot of animosity that she brings from her manager getting down on her. It all trickles down. Everyone complains about the corporate structure at the resort and alot of people are out strictly to enhance their career and move forward regardless of who they step on. Not everyone but a good chunk of people do. Be ware this is not a place to stick around or trust in people. Shady people are lifers here.

Advice to Management

Start over

3. Manager

I worked at Winter Park Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great lifestyle promoted, get to keep skis at your office to get out on your lunch break... If you have time. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Low pay, bad insurance options, low 401k match that takes 5 years to become vested. They also require management to take one week off at half pay each year... On bad snow years they may ask for more, in 2012 they required 2 weeks off for all management.. No pay! A lot is required from management and if an employee quits director level does not fill open positions quickly.. I.E. 6 months of the rest of the team filling in for the missing position.

Advice to Management

Director and above level management needs to treat management better, and recognize their value to the team. Compensation should be at least average for comparable jobs around the country and it falls way short at winter park resort.

Manager

Pros

Amazing place to work and play! I had an amazing supervisor and really enjoyed my time at Winter Park Resort. Like they say "you come for the winters, but stay for the summers".

Cons

Health benefits are less than impressive. You do not pay a ton up front, but when you need to use insurance, you realize what you really do not have.

Advice to Management

Resort management is too focused on financials, which is understandable, but they should remember why people love this place and what keeps bringing in the money.

6. Summer Program Attendant

Former Employee - Summer Program Attendant in Winter Park, CO
    Former Employee - Summer Program Attendant in Winter Park, CO

I worked at Winter Park Resort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, great group of people, awesome management.

Cons

Sometimes it rains in the afternoon so they send you home early resulting in less pay.

7. manager

Current Employee - Manager in Winter Park, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Winter Park, CO

I have been working at Winter Park Resort full-time

Pros

It's a job. You will have to get a second or 3rd job to compensate

Cons

over work employees, low pay, long hours if you are salary, no help from superiors.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and help out every now and again

8. Race Crew

Pros

Loved the work and all co-workers. Great spirit.

Cons

The head of the department has a short temper.

9. Great place to be!

Former Employee - Ski Patrol in Winter Park, CO
    Former Employee - Ski Patrol in Winter Park, CO

I worked at Winter Park Resort full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee season pass... Enough said! It's great being able to spend so much time on the mountain, getting to know all the 'secret' powder stashes.. If you love to ski or ride, it's well worth it.

Cons

Most jobs don't pay very much, and positions are VERY seasonal. Seems to be a lack of promotion from within the company.

Advice to Management

Let employees that are 'in the know' with the mountain's culture have more input on some ideas for business/programs having to do with the on-mountain experience. Mountain management doesn't ski, and is severely out of touch with today's skiing culture. Poor investment decisions have been made in this regard.

10. Free ski pass but not much else

Former Employee - Guest Services in Winter Park, CO
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Winter Park, CO

Pros

The free ski pass is a nice perk. My immediate supervisor was great but barely made more than I did at entry-level.

Cons

After a short time there, it was easy to see that Intrawest works everyone to the bone if you're on salary. You get a free ski pass to a multitude of mountains, sure, but you probably won't have enough time off to travel to those other mountains and use it. I've never worked for a company that cared less about its staff. It seems like there's more turnover than restaurants.

11. Loved it

Former Employee - Bartender in Winter Park, CO
    Former Employee - Bartender in Winter Park, CO

I worked at Winter Park Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee ski pass comp package, discounts on food and gear, very personable staff, and an excellent work environment, lower and day-to-day management engaged with employees.

Cons

No benefits for full-time seasonal employees, poor hiring processes and limited upward mobility, management can be somewhat inconsistent, upper-management disconnected from day-to-day operations. I would have loved to stay and grow with the company but outgrew my role and found limited opportunities after completing my education.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for promotion and upward mobility may help turnaround.

RSS Feed </> Embed