Wintergreen Resort Reviews

2.4
Hank Thiess

1. Decent experience at Wintergreen

I worked at Wintergreen Resort part-time

Pros

Good benefits, fun people to work with, get to snowboard for free, golf for free, make a lot of friends

Cons

Low pay, bad drive up the mountain, rarely get pay increases, no promotions, bad management, overwork you, must work on holidays

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunity to advance

2. Supervisor

I have been working at Wintergreen Resort (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have met some amazing people working up at Wintergreen. Decent benefit package. Beautiful location.

Cons

The mountain will probably kill your car unless you live on the mountain, and even then it is just a matter of time. Wintergreen was run as a non profit organization for over 20 years. Eventually they ran themselves into ground due to corrupt practices by the management including embezzlement and not justifying their expense reports. 6 years ago the resort was on the brink of bankruptcy due to over spending, poor cost control, and a couple warm winters eliminating their ability to make snow. However I was hopeful that after the purchase of the resort by Jim Justice who owned The Greenbriar that there would be a house cleaning by the new owner. There wasn't. The archaic way of thinking of upper level management clearly demonstrate their incapabilities of being socially responsible towards their employees wellbeing. They profess to promote internally, but in fact that is hardly the case. The salaried employees are not required to clock in or out giving them the ability to hide the fact that they aren't even working 40 hours a week. The salaried employees get a increased benefit packages allowing them to use the slopes whenever, the spa whenever, and golf whenever and everyone else is told they can not do things on certain (Volume) days. No spa on the weekends, no skiing on certain days or on certain times. I have bleed for this company for years, and came back three years ago hopeful that my over 15years of experience in the F&B industry and college degree would give me the ability to help the changes get made that were needed. I created menu guides for the j-1 students and the head chef stole the recognition and claimed it was his idea, after initially refusing to even help me with its creation claiming it was a stupid idea. I spent 8 months putting it together only to have it presented as someone else's idea and work. I also spent a significant amount of time restructuring their entertainment program and after all the wonderful things I did when the time came for my review and for them to move me into a salaried position. My general manger claimed it was my fault that I wasn't getting salary because I had gone to the HR office and asked a question regarding my bosses using my PTO time without my permission. Because I did that everything that I worked so hard on was swept under the rug and I was told better luck next year and given a minimal hourly increase instead of giving me salary as promised when I took the job. The upper management is complacent in their laziness and does not want and feels threatened by educated experienced people. The pay rates are a joke. They will pay an international j-1 student more than they will pay a local who has been doing the same job for over 3 years. There is no equality amongst staff. The marketing department does little to nothing other than to turn down every single idea brought to the table. They dont advertise locally, they do not go to local community college job fairs to look for staff. This place is falling apart at the seems and the upper management is responsible for the majority of it. This place needs fresh management with a desire to be great instead of dragging along each year. The company was sold again this past year and still no major management changes have been implemented. The resort is out dated, the staff is unmotivated due to poor management, and the only people who are happy are the Select Few higher ups who are controlling the ever building chaos and distrust of the company. Good employee's who quit are more or less quitting because Wintergreens current management system is so terribly flawed. People need to be motivated and rewarded and instead they are overworked ridden hard and put away wet. The high rate of turnover here speaks the truth that the management has absolutely no idea how to retain good workers. Employee retention is the only way to develop a highly trained staff. Losing good people due to their own ignorance is killing them slowly. This year alone I have watched 80% of the senior staff leave the mountain to pursue their career elsewhere due to not being compensated for their hard work and completely looked over for their beneficial aspects toward achieving the organizational goals of earning a dollar. IF YOU WANT TO BE LIED TO, OVERWORKED, UNDER APPRECIATED, UNDER PAID, AND FED A BUNCH OF LIES THIS IS A PERFECT JOB FOR YOU. Smart people beware of this place they will lie to you to get you here and then the real fun begins as they use up every ounce of ambition you might have to help their bottom line while every single full time, part time, and seasonal employee is worked like a mule for pennies.

Advice to Management

Do yourselves a favor and just quit. Don't allow favoritism to control your promotions, pay raises, schedules, etc. Shine the light on staff members who are going above and beyond for the company. I highly suggest conducting post employment interviews with the people who are quitting to find out why they are leaving. Take responsibility for the destruction of the resort due to YOUR laziness. Allowing this to happen for so many years and allowing the conditions to get this bad is directly YOUR FAULT. Stop hiring anyone that walks in the door and start scrutinizing and reaching out to the local community more. Hold yourselves accountable for why the resort is the way it is, and open your eyes to the fact that if changes aren't made this place will fail despite who owns or is running it. Base Level Employees make the money for the resort not the ridiculously overpaid management staff. Get you act together you make everyone look stupid when we continually provide terrible experiences for guest because that is what we have been trained to do by our management

3. Needs management remodeling

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Wintergreen Resort, VA
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Wintergreen Resort, VA

Pros

The people were friendly and easy to work with. I enjoyed my job as a lifeguard and the atmosphere.

Cons

Upper management needs a serious overhaul. They are trying to run as both a country club and a resort. You cant service the public and still want exclusivity.

5. Poor management, demotivating/negative environment, & one of the worst companies to work for overall

Former Employee - Supervisor in Wintergreen, VA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Wintergreen, VA

I worked at Wintergreen Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to none except for maybe the recreation benefits. Yet they are cutting back on those as well folks.

Cons

I can sum up in one sentence what working for this company is like. Think Walmart. This is an organization that is run so poorly and with so little respect for their employees that working at Walmart may actually be better. They have no clue about truly looking to cultivate and keep employees that would actually add to the bottom line. In fact they do just the opposite and focus exclusively on the bottom line above all else. This is also apparent in how they treat their guests as well. Rather than show some class and do whatever is necessary to rectify complaints, this place will argue with guests, refuse to give refunds to make things right, etc. etc. This is an organization that truly thrives on embracing the status quo. They would rather keep the same old sub par management and employees than ever actually have people with real skills employed. You would think that their HR department would have some shame and actually try to improve things. They have so much trouble hiring and filling positions because their reputation proceeds them most of the time. There really is a true reason why this company always has so many job openings fellow job seekers. This is not a place worth pursuing unless you like no appreciation, no respect, a negative work environment, and lousy pay. This applies to the lower end and even the higher positions. Unless you are one of the top handful in this company, don't expect to be fairly compensated here. They are also full of false promises to get people on board. Bottom line on this company ------- Pass and keep looking.

Advice to Management

It is not even worth trying to tell this management team anything because they would never listen anyway. There is a reason they have been on the brink of bankruptcy and it is not all due to the outside factors they feed the media. When your upper and middle management team is highly inferior and incompetent it is hard for any company to be successful. If someone could buy them all for what they are really worth and sell them for what they think they are worth, they would be a billionaire. Wintergreen management is an absolute disgrace.

6. Ski Instructor

Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Wintergreen Resort, VA
    Former Employee - Ski Instructor in Wintergreen Resort, VA

I worked at Wintergreen Resort part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Respectful and professional atmosphere.

Cons

Starting cutting back on job perks, i.e. lift tickets, employe discounts.

Advice to Management

Each year I had all new Management and all new directions. Work on having more constant Management and directions for year to year

Management does same thing over and over and expect a different result

I have been working at Wintergreen Resort full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Recreation Benefits, OK health Benefits, beautiful scenery

Cons

Salaries for majority below area average while other way above Wear and tear on car driving up and down mountain daily Lodging below par Restaurants expensive for service and quality of food Too concerned about bottom line profits to care about guests and employee satisfaction and same management for to many years

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words!!! For years the GM Hank Thiess has stated transparency is the most important part of the company but his actions say otherwise. In the event of any news that all associates should be informed about have all been learned from the news media. Then over a week later each time finally management says something and we also learn they knew days before the media knew. Respect your associates and not always try to cover yourself only with media relations.

No one notices the hard work and effort you put in and hate change.

Pros

Free skiing Discounts in the stores and restaurants Decent benefits

Cons

Same senior leadership for 10+ years (it's not working) Fight tooth and nail against change Everything is outdated Customer service is nonexistent in upper management Employee appreciation is also through the window Too concerned about bottom line profits to care about guests and employee satisfaction Horrendous pay

Advice to Management

Clean house. It's not working. That's what other resorts do when they go bankrupt and get bought out, they clean house of all upper management. Stop placing the blame on everything else and start looking at yourselves.

Old school and closed minded

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, VA

I have been working at Wintergreen Resort full-time

Pros

Some pros are the amenities that come with the job, such as free skiing and able to use the spa and fitness center for free. Also resort discounts are nice.

Cons

Hours aren't great and good luck getting the weekend off. Plus gas is crazy having to drive up the mountain every day.

Advice to Management

Management is very closed minded and not up to date. They are not willing to change. Also I've noticed there is a lot of favoritism in most departments. This will influence raises and promotions. The management is driving that place into the ground.

10. A wonderful experience

Former Employee - Lounge Manager in Wintergreen, VA
    Former Employee - Lounge Manager in Wintergreen, VA

I worked at Wintergreen Resort full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome perks including free skiing and golf. An amazing place to go everyday. Your work is surrounded by one of earth's beautiful natural settings. Laid back, friendly team of people. Everyone gets along and truly become friends in and out of the workplace.

Cons

Very seasonal work. As a restaurant worker you really live or die by the season. It is a little removed from the closest town, so there can be a little bit of a commute through country, mountain roads to get to work

Advice to Management

A little better pay would most certainly help to attract qualified applicants that would be willing to stay on the job longer. There is a lot of turnover at the resort.

11. Great

Pros

Good benefits, opportunity for career advancement, good company atmosphere, management understands the need for work and home balance, relaxed business settting

Cons

The salaries are below what other equivalent companies are paying for the same positions. You have to sacrifice a little on salary for the atmosphere and environment you get to work in.

Advice to Management

Listen to departmental managers, organize staff more effectively, and pay employees competitive salaries to attract more capable and experienced workers.

RSS Feed </> Embed