Wintergreen Resort

Add Photos

Hank Thiess

Ski Instructor

Ski Instructor (Former Employee) Wintergreen Resort, VA

ProsGreat co-workers. Respectful and professional atmosphere.

ConsStarting cutting back on job perks, i.e. lift tickets, employe discounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementEach year I had all new Management and all new directions. Work on having more constant Management and directions for year to year

Great Summer Internship

Golf Intern (Former Employee) Wintergreen, VA

ProsIt's a beautiful place to be for the summer, especially when surrounded by dozens of other wonderful interns your age! I met so many people from countries all over the world, and made lifelong friends. The perks of being an employee, free golf, discounted meals & access to the pool are great! I highly recommend a summer internship there!

ConsThe apartments aren't free unfortunately, but they are relatively clean and very close to work. The rules are strict sometimes and you have to be really careful about drinking since you are living on property.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep treating the interns with respect and they will do just fine!

Management does same thing over and over and expect a different result

ProsRecreation Benefits, OK health Benefits, beautiful scenery

ConsSalaries for majority below area average while other way above
    Wear and tear on car driving up and down mountain daily
    Lodging below par
    Restaurants expensive for service and quality of food
    Too concerned about bottom line profits to care about guests and employee satisfaction and same management for to many years

Advice to Senior ManagementActions speak louder than words!!! For years the GM Hank Thiess has stated transparency is the most important part of the company but his actions say otherwise. In the event of any news that all associates should be informed about have all been learned from the news media. Then over a week later each time finally management says something and we also learn they knew days before the media knew. Respect your associates and not always try to cover yourself only with media relations.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No one notices the hard work and effort you put in and hate change.

ProsFree skiing
    Discounts in the stores and restaurants
    Decent benefits

ConsSame senior leadership for 10+ years (it's not working)
    Fight tooth and nail against change
    Everything is outdated
    Customer service is nonexistent in upper management
    Employee appreciation is also through the window
    Horrendous pay

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. It's not working. That's what other resorts do when they go bankrupt and get bought out, they clean house of all upper management. Stop placing the blame on everything else and start looking at yourselves.

Old school and closed minded

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Roseland, VA

ProsSome pros are the amenities that come with the job, such as free skiing and able to use the spa and fitness center for free. Also resort discounts are nice.

ConsHours aren't great and good luck getting the weekend off. Plus gas is crazy having to drive up the mountain every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is very closed minded and not up to date. They are not willing to change. Also I've noticed there is a lot of favoritism in most departments. This will influence raises and promotions. The management is driving that place into the ground.

A wonderful experience

Lounge Manager (Former Employee) Wintergreen, VA

ProsAwesome perks including free skiing and golf. An amazing place to go everyday. Your work is surrounded by one of earth's beautiful natural settings. Laid back, friendly team of people. Everyone gets along and truly become friends in and out of the workplace.

ConsVery seasonal work. As a restaurant worker you really live or die by the season. It is a little removed from the closest town, so there can be a little bit of a commute through country, mountain roads to get to work

Advice to Senior ManagementA little better pay would most certainly help to attract qualified applicants that would be willing to stay on the job longer. There is a lot of turnover at the resort.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, opportunity for career advancement, good company atmosphere, management understands the need for work and home balance, relaxed business settting

ConsThe salaries are below what other equivalent companies are paying for the same positions. You have to sacrifice a little on salary for the atmosphere and environment you get to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to departmental managers, organize staff more effectively, and pay employees competitive salaries to attract more capable and experienced workers.

Worked for Wintergreen Resort? Contribute to the Community!