Winthrop-University Hospital

2.6
John F. Collins

1. Registered nurse

I have been working at Winthrop-University Hospital

Pros

Good benefits and vacation time

Cons

heavy workload on nurses
    need to hire more staff

Advice to Management

reduce workload on nurses by hiring more staff

2. Great place to work when your starting out after school

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in North Babylon, NY
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in North Babylon, NY

I have been working at Winthrop-University Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are amazing, so many different walks of life. There are always stories

Cons

Administration is very tough and micro manage everything. And when they are wrong they will not admit to it

Advice to Management

Take a day and work in those same positions that got you in to management. I think a lot of you have forgotten what it's like to work at the bottom again

3. It's 50/50

Current Employee - A/R Billing Clerk in Glen Oaks, NY
    Current Employee - A/R Billing Clerk in Glen Oaks, NY

I have been working at Winthrop-University Hospital (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love the hours, the benefits are good, and my job tasks keeps me busy doing the day!

Cons

they micromanage too much to the point that there are days you don't enjoy the atmosphere.

5. Awful

Current Employee - Medical Secretary
    Current Employee - Medical Secretary

I have been working at Winthrop-University Hospital (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro at Winthrop is the benefits

Cons

Winthrop does not care about their patients OR their employees. The only care about their numbers

Advice to Management

Get new management

6. One of the most disorganized hospitals I have ever worked in.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mineola, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mineola, NY

I worked at Winthrop-University Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family environment. Friendly. Great balance of work and personal life. Makes you feel comfortable. Lastly, allows you to work at your own pace. Tuition reimbursement

Cons

Lack of promotions. Instability in Senior Leadership. Not much pay. About 50% of employees don't use emotional intelligence in their daily jobs which has resulted in a failure of the organization attempting to thrive. Instability to keep potential employees with advanced degrees. A lot of turnover at senior level executive management.

Advice to Management

It's one thing to pay for your homegrown talent for education but why pay for them, if you aren't even going to promote the good ones. There are many managers in this organization, that are immature in their position of power and have emotional intelligence issues due to their in-stable personal lives. And as a result, it is detrimental to other departments attempting to do work since these "managers" decline to allow work to progress. There needs to be more filtering of the good and bad managers that are holding this organization back.

Friendly place to work

I have been working at Winthrop-University Hospital

Pros

Health insurance benefits, friendly Co workers, safe place to work, lots of activities to become involved with, new research building

Cons

Kronos time clock is a complete waste for people. not involved in clinical work, stopped giving annual raises, they became cheap

Advice to Management

Listen when people complain about kronos and don't put up a new multi million dollar research center if you can't afford to keep employees

8. Could be great but held back by lack of respect for the common employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mineola, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mineola, NY

I have been working at Winthrop-University Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, Given a chance to provide care and compassion for people on a daily basis, good manager and job stability.

Cons

After being at the hospital for five years full time, I've noticed an increased focus on money and a decreased focus on quality patient care. Higher levels of administration have little to no concern for the average employee despite constant attempts to provide constructive information to improve working conditions. Poor working conditions/environment negatively impacts patient care and quality of treatment.

Alongside its poor treatment of lower level employees, the hospital has gotten progressively worse as it struggles to keep up with the changes brought about by new CMS guidelines. I try not to complain in my daily life and I don't write this review to speak poorly about the hospital. My main aim in writing this is to steer a hardworking capable applicant away from a job that treats low level employees like voiceless cogs in a machine. My other motive would be that someone from a higher level of administration comes across this review, recognizes the issue facing the common worker and attempts to remedy the very serious problems facing the hospital.

Working in this environment has not only left me feeling devalued as an employee but as a human being. Co-workers have come to me crying several times in the last few months but despite my best efforts (speaking to superiors etc.) I am powerless to help them without bringing further scrutiny upon myself or my office manager (who is great). I sincerely hope Winthrop takes note of the all issues that must be remedied and rises up to become the hospital is its capable of becoming, not just for the sake of employees but for the patients who are the ones who ultimately suffer.

Advice to Management

The hospital is capable of being great but the people on top must consider the people on bottom when making decisions. Value the opinion of your employees regardless of their job title.

9. Racist disgusting management

Former Employee - Nursing in Mineola, NY
    Former Employee - Nursing in Mineola, NY

I worked at Winthrop-University Hospital

Pros

Free parking and cozy local restaurants.

Cons

Racist CEO, racist management, racist staff.

Advice to Management

Be more accepting of people who do not look completely like you. Take from the cultural diversity class that was required to take in order to work here.

10. Great place to work

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Mineola, NY
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Mineola, NY

I worked at Winthrop-University Hospital

Pros

Young friendly co-workers, very professional, great learning experience

Cons

this job was great, I have no complaints

Good customer experience

Current Employee - Registrar in Mineola, NY
    Current Employee - Registrar in Mineola, NY

I have been working at Winthrop-University Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great to meet new people and help patients. Great benefits if you go to the hospital

Cons

Are not appreciated for your work

Advice to Management

Not good

RSS Feed </> Embed