Wipfli

3.5

Rick Dreher

Great place to work

I have been working at Wipfli

Pros

Flexible scheduling, beautiful offices, good benefits.

Cons

Communication from the top can be slow. Sometimes the various offices don't work together as well as they could.

Keep associates up to date with the long-term plans for the firm.

There is a reason less than half of reviewers would recommend this company to a friend...

I worked at Wipfli

Pros

Flexibility
    Most team members are great and on point
    Offices are clean and professional looking
    Numerous internal trainings
    Opportunities to gain CPE credit
    Education reimbursement to further advance your degree

Cons

Training is extensive, but not well directed
    Resources are abundant but scattered
    Meetings lack an A-Z plan on how to accomplish future goals; lots of repetitive talk and no action
    Poor benefits (increases each year)
    Disconnection between various departments in the firm
    Poor internal communication
    Blatant favoritism
    Some management has a "Jump when I say jump AND guess exactly how high I want you to jump each time!" mentality that sets staff up to fail
    HR is far removed from a lot of internal discord which is an area they should be spearheading
    Company culture and values would be great if properly executed by all employees

Work with your employees instead of against them
    Don't professionally discriminate based on personal differences
    Hold other people in positions of management accountable
    Learn to be impartial to all staff AND take responsibility for your own shortcomings
    Stop intentionally setting team members up to fail

Great people, great culture, and great opportunities

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wipfli full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wipfli has people that are amazing to work with. They have a culture that encourages transfer of knowledge and helping people achieve goals, as well as just making Wipfli a fun place to go to work everyday. The work is both challenging and rewarding and Wipfli helps you achieve your career goals by letting you choose your career path based on your experience, expertise, and interest that mutually benefits you as the firm.

Cons

I haven't experience many cons while working at Wipfli. One area that could use improvement is our approach to campus recruiting as I think we could do a better job being more visible to prospective student candidates and I believe we need to be on universities. Also, I think at times we are still perfecting then one firm concept as some of the ways we do things can vary from office to office.

Continue perfecting the one firm concept, increase campus awareness, and I think there is room for expansion and purchase other firms in new regions to expand this great firm.

Supportive Environment!

Current Employee - Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at Wipfli full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great flexibility in my schedule as I have small children who need attention. I appreciate the continuing education opportunities as I have progressed throughout my career!

Cons

Benefits are sub-par and seem to "benefit" very few people. Seems to be a breakdown in helping all associates understand the direction of the firm and what we are working toward.

Better communication and viability of firm leaders.

Opportunity for career advancement, training, and responsibility

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wipfli full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic career development, work-life balance, limited travel. Leadership open door policy and opportunity to have an impact on strategic direction. Great advancement opportunities if you are willing to push yourself.

Cons

Limited presence in large metropolitan areas but growing. Benefits could improve. Some managers are there based on years of service not leadership skill.

Continue to invest in employee engagement and development. Expand to larger markets.

I was hired as a seasonal tax preparer an it was a very rewarding and educational experience.

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at Wipfli full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees were very friendly and helpful. My supervisor was also very professional and willing to teach you.

Cons

I was going to school full time so I worked opposite of a lot of people so I wasn't able to connect with some employees.

There were times when positive or negative feedback would have been beneficial.

Management lacking

I have been working at Wipfli full-time

Pros

Profit sharing to all employees, benefits OK, flexible work schedules

Cons

A lot of lip service about values, growth and training but no followup by if management does nothing; require long hours

Get upper management and partners out of their silos and focus on integrating all niches

It's a good place to work

I have been working at Wipfli full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary. Work/life balance is the best that I have heard of in the industry. You are still required to get the number of hours your contract specifies but for the most part you are respsonsible for when and where you get those hours in, aside from client related deadlines.

Cons

The benefits package isn't the best, but it is still better than nothing. It is hard to get into the specific industry you want to work in but if you are flexible and open there is a spot for everyone here.

Let people form their own career paths, and not force them to "try" something they don't want to do.

very good.

I have been working at Wipfli

Pros

flexibility is the first thing that comes to mind

Cons

too many meetings, phone calls, etc.

Audit Associate

Former Employee - Accounting Associate
    Former Employee - Accounting Associate

I worked at Wipfli full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have one day set aside for community involvement by the employees, but only if your supervisor approves your attendance.

Cons

I was salary but by the time you factor in the hours worked, my hourly wage was $10.00 per hour. Sad for and accounting degree and CPA. Directors talk bad about past and current employees, behind their back. Very unprofessional atmosphere. No bonuses for hard work, only by "who you know".

Look at professional personalities when promoting to Director and Partner level.