Wipro

4,706 Reviews

Wipro CEO IT Business, Executive Director, and Director T. K. Kurien
T. K. Kurien
2,005 Ratings

Pros
  • Lot of onsite opportunities after a certain experience, good work environment (in 251 reviews)

• Good work culture, good opportunities to work on new business domain (in 245 reviews)

Cons
  • Wonderful Work-Life Balance culture with very friendly employee benefit program (in 203 reviews)

• Very less compensation, No work life balance, Promotions take a very long time (in 62 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

I have been working at Wipro

Pros

Good infrastructure,Good learning for freshers,MS for BS candidates

Cons

Less Salary,Not much to expect from annual hike

Good head start for beginners

I worked at Wipro

Pros

Project has supporting team and managers.

Cons

Expectation to work late nights and weekends.

Good learning experience

I have been working at Wipro

Pros

there is good learning oppurtunity

Cons

salary is very low and needs market coorection

make market correction

Do not work for

I have been working at Wipro full-time

Pros

process oriented, values driven, hierarchical

Cons

depressing work culture, worst work-life balance

Project Manager

I have been working at Wipro

Pros

It's a Great company lots of opportunities. Very good clientele.

Cons

Salaries are average though its not bad.

Architect

Current Employee - Architect in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Architect in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Wipro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good client project with lots of challenges

Cons

Only people is cry and very important get the benefits

Joining them in US on H1B; Beware; Read the review

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Wipro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Earned leaves or Paid time off
    - Big name in Indian IT circle
    - Some long term projects
    - Pays on bench(without project) for some fixed number of days

Cons

- Experienced professional please don't join them. This is not Google Or any other employee eccentric company. Half of the managers are from commerce background (CA etc) and have not idea about software delivery. They are concerned about revenues and billing and you are the hen that lays golden egg. You can be asked to lay 1000 eggs each day, even if your capacity is only 1.
    - It went downhill even before I joined. Recruiter wanted me to resign, even without giving offer letter. She said "you should resign now,so that I can meet my quarterly recruited numbers". The red flags were there when H1 transfer took 4 months in premium processing. I had personal obligation, hence joined.
    - Join them on H1b and welcome to hell. You can be sent back to India, if your project comes to abrupt end. If you come on bench, even if you are an onsite direct recruit, you will be threatened that you can be sent back. No one will help you in finding next project.
    - If you join a horizontal, then you will have two managers. One Horizontal and One project manager. it may happen, none of them work in your project and will be oblivious to your situation. Each one passes the ball onto other, whenever manager interaction/interjection is required. I had 6 managers in 2 plus years of time wastage here.
    - Support teams - Visa( OOC), HR, Salary , Benefits. Just pray, you don't interact with these teams. All of them sit in India and there is no US counterpart. Any issue, send an email and go to sleep. Next day check your emails, if some one has responded, well thank god else endless follow up is required.
    - Benefits team could not start the health insurance for 20 days!!! On escalating, I was informed there is a technical glitch. For Christ's sake, you are an IT company, Don't come up with an excuse about IT related problems for starting the health insurance. Get it fixed. We are expected to wake up at 2 am, if there are issue in the client project, but our own firm cannot fix the technical issues in 20 days. Great!
    Since these teams sit in India, they don't understand the cost of a normal checkup in US. When I asked them, what if I meet with an accident or fall ill and need to go to the hospital, who will bear the cost. I was told - "Keep the bills, we will try to get it reimbursed". LOL
    - Visa processing team or OOC team is the worse of the lot. They provided an expired SOW, a day before I was supposed to go for Visa stamping. Since the documents were given at 7 p,m and the Visa stamping interview was the next day, I prayed that the consulate officer didn't ask for the documents and the prayers went fine. OOC team did another crappy job, once again. Earlier, The H1 transfer took 4 months under premium processing.
    - Promotions or willful transfer is something, which you should forget. No amount of effort can get it done. Even after the resignation, during the notice period, HR behaved as IF I was joking about leaving the company. On the last day, My account manager called me to express surprise that I was leaving , even after serving a full 2 weeks notice period. He tried level best in putting the hurdles by not accepting the resignation letter till the last day, with 2 hours remaining in the day.
    - HR team - They are the dummy team. They don't have any say in day today working. Have issue with client- talk to manager. Have issue with Manager - Talk to some manager. Don't bother them. They just come to office, collect the paycheck and go home. All the issues are handled by the Managers, who don't have any people management skills
    - No exit interview. I was surprised, when there was no exit interview held. HR never bothered to contact me. They had resigned to the fact that employees are going to leave crappy environment. They never made any effort to retain. All I was told "if you stay for X more days, we will do things for you".
    - QPLC or quarterly performance linked compensation. It is added on monthly basis, provided every 4 months, yes not end of a quarter, but a month after quarter has ended. Wipro makes a lot of money from this. With people leaving in middle of quarter, QPLC is not paid to them. Even if it is paid, they already had made lot of interest on the money from 130k employees.
    - UCF or exams supposed to be taken every year. Don't clear the exam, you can be fired. Mess up the project, but clear your UCF.
    - Have any issue with the client manager - suck it up! yes, you read it right - suck it up. Wipro management doesn't have the spine to defend its own employees. They can throw you under the bus, if they see losing billing.
    On the other hand, if client even suggest , not complain, that you require help in delivering the project. Then you will be court martial-led. Managers from all around the globe will call you to demean you,
    - This is not a company for laterals. Promotion is for those, who have spend 10 plus years in Wipro. Hardwork is not valued here.

- No amount of advice is sufficient for changing the rotten environment.
    - Large scale layoff of useless higher management is required. They are making the environment toxic.

Great people but hard to be effective without support resources

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager

I have been working at Wipro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dedicated and highly capable technical staff, for the most part
    Extremely flexible in terms of working hours
    Excellent benefits

Cons

Grossly understaffed for the work load
    No incentive compensation program to reward individual or team performance
    Lack of training opportunities
    Lack of advancement opportunities for remote staff

Hire more people and retain the ones you have -- you know what the issues are
    Invest in infrastructure BEFORE it's needed
    Stop pinching pennies

Enterprise Solution Architect

Former Employee - Enterprise Solution Architect in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Enterprise Solution Architect in Dallas, TX

I worked at Wipro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am not sure of any pros with this company, compensation is ok and time off policies at par with other indian based consulting firms.

Cons

This is more of an Indian shop, too much political and not very professional organization

Need to add some cultural mix by recruiting local employees and increase professional value at client

BI Architect

Current Employee - Senior Architect
    Current Employee - Senior Architect

I have been working at Wipro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

More opportunities to learn and develop skills.

Cons

Should be willing to relocate and willing to work some times in odd hours

Confusing organization matrix structure.