Wipro

4,714 Reviews

Wipro CEO IT Business, Executive Director, and Director T. K. Kurien
T. K. Kurien
2,010 Ratings

Pros
  • Lot of onsite opportunities after a certain experience, good work environment (in 251 reviews)

• Good work culture, good opportunities to work on new business domain (in 245 reviews)

Cons
  • Wonderful Work-Life Balance culture with very friendly employee benefit program (in 203 reviews)

• Very less compensation, No work life balance, Promotions take a very long time (in 62 reviews)

More Highlights

Female employee turned down due to pregnancy discrimination

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Boston, MA

I worked at Wipro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Do not know how, but they have really good projects and clients
    Excellent opportunities to explore
    Does this go in Pros or Cons:? No Project Managers, you are responsible for the project from dev to delivery. I put this in pros because it was easy for me to showcase my talents and it was a good experience for me directly working with clients.
    They give good experience and training and you are free to leave anytime for a better job.

Cons

very bad values and ethics
    Beware, managers are not trust worthy
    Exit Interviews??? procedure is there, but you need not attend it, managers themselves will close it for you... done.
    No personal life

Pregnancy discrimination is illegal
    Teach managers some work ethics and values

Overall Experience was ok.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Wipro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Joining formalities were so awesome. So many in build process and Online system for Non Immigrants workers.

Cons

- Fake promises, Upper management have bunch of lier (PM an SPM ) .. in front of client as well, They just want their side to be saved
    HR make polices to employee harassment. If you leave wipro they wont give u services certificate (though u r a onsite hire or offshore)
    No GC (Perm) Filling *

Improver you HR polices.
    Management folk stop doing racism between south and north indian.-

Low ball the price, deliver late and over budget

I worked at Wipro

Pros

Front line employees, programers nice people.

Cons

Middle & project management promises everything to the customer, always delivers late, short of the quality and over budget. Everyday crisis reactionary management to make up for missed milestones.
    Work-life balance is way out of balance.
    Weekends, nights, 12 -18 hour days. For no extra compensation.

When defining policies, processes, target milestones stick to them and do not change processes on day by day basis.
    Slavery is suppose to illegal in the Western world. This Indian company needs to treat the employees like human beings with families.

Joining them in US on H1B; Beware; Read the review

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Wipro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Earned leaves or Paid time off
    - Big name in Indian IT circle
    - Some long term projects
    - Pays on bench(without project) for some fixed number of days

Cons

- Experienced professional please don't join them. This is not Google Or any other employee eccentric company. Half of the managers are from commerce background (CA etc) and have not idea about software delivery. They are concerned about revenues and billing and you are the hen that lays golden egg. You can be asked to lay 1000 eggs each day, even if your capacity is only 1.
    - It went downhill even before I joined. Recruiter wanted me to resign, even without giving offer letter. She said "you should resign now,so that I can meet my quarterly recruited numbers". The red flags were there when H1 transfer took 4 months in premium processing. I had personal obligation, hence joined.
    - Join them on H1b and welcome to hell. You can be sent back to India, if your project comes to abrupt end. If you come on bench, even if you are an onsite direct recruit, you will be threatened that you can be sent back. No one will help you in finding next project.
    - If you join a horizontal, then you will have two managers. One Horizontal and One project manager. it may happen, none of them work in your project and will be oblivious to your situation. Each one passes the ball onto other, whenever manager interaction/interjection is required. I had 6 managers in 2 plus years of time wastage here.
    - Support teams - Visa( OOC), HR, Salary , Benefits. Just pray, you don't interact with these teams. All of them sit in India and there is no US counterpart. Any issue, send an email and go to sleep. Next day check your emails, if some one has responded, well thank god else endless follow up is required.
    - Benefits team could not start the health insurance for 20 days!!! On escalating, I was informed there is a technical glitch. For Christ's sake, you are an IT company, Don't come up with an excuse about IT related problems for starting the health insurance. Get it fixed. We are expected to wake up at 2 am, if there are issue in the client project, but our own firm cannot fix the technical issues in 20 days. Great!
    Since these teams sit in India, they don't understand the cost of a normal checkup in US. When I asked them, what if I meet with an accident or fall ill and need to go to the hospital, who will bear the cost. I was told - "Keep the bills, we will try to get it reimbursed". LOL
    - Visa processing team or OOC team is the worse of the lot. They provided an expired SOW, a day before I was supposed to go for Visa stamping. Since the documents were given at 7 p,m and the Visa stamping interview was the next day, I prayed that the consulate officer didn't ask for the documents and the prayers went fine. OOC team did another crappy job, once again. Earlier, The H1 transfer took 4 months under premium processing.
    - Promotions or willful transfer is something, which you should forget. No amount of effort can get it done. Even after the resignation, during the notice period, HR behaved as IF I was joking about leaving the company. On the last day, My account manager called me to express surprise that I was leaving , even after serving a full 2 weeks notice period. He tried level best in putting the hurdles by not accepting the resignation letter till the last day, with 2 hours remaining in the day.
    - HR team - They are the dummy team. They don't have any say in day today working. Have issue with client- talk to manager. Have issue with Manager - Talk to some manager. Don't bother them. They just come to office, collect the paycheck and go home. All the issues are handled by the Managers, who don't have any people management skills
    - No exit interview. I was surprised, when there was no exit interview held. HR never bothered to contact me. They had resigned to the fact that employees are going to leave crappy environment. They never made any effort to retain. All I was told "if you stay for X more days, we will do things for you".
    - QPLC or quarterly performance linked compensation. It is added on monthly basis, provided every 4 months, yes not end of a quarter, but a month after quarter has ended. Wipro makes a lot of money from this. With people leaving in middle of quarter, QPLC is not paid to them. Even if it is paid, they already had made lot of interest on the money from 130k employees.
    - UCF or exams supposed to be taken every year. Don't clear the exam, you can be fired. Mess up the project, but clear your UCF.
    - Have any issue with the client manager - suck it up! yes, you read it right - suck it up. Wipro management doesn't have the spine to defend its own employees. They can throw you under the bus, if they see losing billing.
    On the other hand, if client even suggest , not complain, that you require help in delivering the project. Then you will be court martial-led. Managers from all around the globe will call you to demean you,
    - This is not a company for laterals. Promotion is for those, who have spend 10 plus years in Wipro. Hardwork is not valued here.

- No amount of advice is sufficient for changing the rotten environment.
    - Large scale layoff of useless higher management is required. They are making the environment toxic.

Worst Outsourcing Firm Yet

Current Employee - Level II IT Support in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Level II IT Support in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wipro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary....maybe but you have to fight for it and they still use stall tactics and offer you wrong amounts hoping you'll just give up on the negotiation

Cons

If you are a U.S. Citizen... everything. They spell your name wrong then you have to contest with Homeland Security that you are a U.S Citizen, even though you provided MORE proof than was necessary when hired. Deceptive offer practices including shady negotiation and mis-information. Lack of response regarding salary disputes, benefits and PTO questions. They are disorganized and lack the competency and understanding of U.S. work culture. If you're an IT professional and your department gets taken over by Wipro, watch out. If you're lucky enough to switch over to Wipro, your colleagues will not know how to do anything. If you're salary, you're expected to work more than 40 hours a week for the same pay, but when your client company has designated holidays that aren't on the Wipro calendar you're forced to use your PTO to cover that, or come in to work for no apparent reason. STAY AWAY FROM WIPRO...OUTSOURCING DOES NOT WORK!!!

When you take over a large company's IT department...make sure you are prepared and know what you're doing.
    Don't promise a seemless transition then send the few retained IT people through the ringer just to make sure they get paid on time.

Great people but hard to be effective without support resources

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager

I have been working at Wipro full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dedicated and highly capable technical staff, for the most part
    Extremely flexible in terms of working hours
    Excellent benefits

Cons

Grossly understaffed for the work load
    No incentive compensation program to reward individual or team performance
    Lack of training opportunities
    Lack of advancement opportunities for remote staff

Hire more people and retain the ones you have -- you know what the issues are
    Invest in infrastructure BEFORE it's needed
    Stop pinching pennies

Best buy contract

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Wipro full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A paycheck and that is not always on time

Cons

a step above a sweatshop

best buy has a contract with wipro, they hire pregnant women,no education,, drug users, older workers not because they are a diversified company, but because most of these are desperate and will tolerate the sexual harassment and threats of violence to keep a job Bestbuy has gotten in bed with the devil

Manager

I have been working at Wipro

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

Hr dept. unorganized and does not do a good job of responding to people

Hire more hr folks And provide more employee attention

Job satisfaction and employee satisfaction

I have been working at Wipro

Pros

Working conditions,
    peer group
    ,infrastructure
    ,facilities
    ,people
    Overall average company to work.The main important thing is the name of wipro.

Cons

Salary,
    management
    ,hierarchy,
    job satisfaction,
    growth
    Overall an average company with low employee satisfaction due to low payout and low job satisfaction.

Increase in salary ,employee engagement programs,growth opportunities

Software Engineer

I worked at Wipro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Had a good leaning experience.

Cons

Could high the salaries for experienced employees