Wipro Reviews in United Kingdom

4,330 Reviews

Wipro CEO IT Business, Executive Director, and Director T. K. Kurien
T. K. Kurien
1,843 Ratings

Pros
  • Good work culture, good opportunities to work on new business domain (in 212 reviews)

• Good work environment if you are lucky to have good managers (in 207 reviews)

Cons
  • Wonderful Work-Life Balance culture with very friendly employee benefit program (in 171 reviews)

• No Work Life Balance culture, Compensation is less (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

88 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You couldn't pay me enough money to work there again

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Wipro as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

some nice colleagues in the US

Cons

Everyone starts off with energy and enthusiasm for Wipro - it doesn't take long to realise its a company shackled to its Indian routes. Never have I worked for a company that was so disrespectful to its employees - openly disregarding non Indian opinion and expertise. Everyone works in fear of their Managers - most of which are also Indian who will shout at you in front of others. Horrible atmosphere - everyone is rude to each other - and the only way to get stuff done is to raise your voice. I had to wait 3 months for my first pay cheque - you get lied to regularly - they don't trust anyone.

Stop being racist.

The bureaucracy and the related politics can be stifling and counter-productive.

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wipro full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good amenities at most delivery locations (even outside India). Fairly well respected in the marketplace. Relatively good day-to-day IT support. Large size allows for moving within the company. Relatively good work-life balance (but this also depends a lot on your level and the kind of role you are in). Those who are deputed to overseas roles (especially in US/UK) from India are paid a good 25-30% less than the market rate for the same role.

Cons

Heavily bureaucratic. 'Red tapes' exist almost everywhere you look.
    The HR function is almost a joke. I don't remember seeing even one C-SAT survey rolled out by the HR teams during my tenure of close to 8 years, and I guess thats because they themselves may be aware that their existence is merely a formality since every company should have a HR function.
    The other internal support functions aren't effective and (almost not at all) employee friendly.
    Not all divisions are growing as fast as they should.
    Meritocracy & 'Wipro Values', though constantly implied a lot on paper, aren't really applied. The appraisals are more of a 'tick in the box' than actual quality dialogue between a manager and his team.

You have a lot of long timers (10+ years) who aren't as effective as they used to be. Importantly, they seem to have become very territorial (especially if they are CEMs placed onsite with the same client for too long) and start indulging in cheap politics to safeguard their position at the cost losing some good talent, which in turn may affect C-SAT, etc in the mid-long run. At least for this reason, rotate them at least every 4-5 years or risk having fiefdoms all over.

Not a right company to work

Former Employee - Architect  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Architect in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wipro full-time for more than a year

Pros

I did not saw anything positive thing during my tenure with Wipro.

More important is fair and commitments . Which is no way part of Wipro culture.

Cons

Very bad experience with wipro. No respect for technical staff. Managers work culture is like hitler treatment.
    No work life balance. Managers are always expecting you to work on weekend and off hours. Policies are not transparent to employees. All depends upon your manager and assignment.

The focus is only to bill employee no matter profile is matching or not. Once you joined Wipro will realize unfair and all false statement made by HR during your joining / selection period

Even after left company very bad experience with full and final process. Its not a professional company to work.

I never saw this type of Bad company in my career life so far.

Too many managers and every one has different world.

Managers needs some training to work with professionals . Most of the managers are coming from India location where they have experience to handle only RUKIES ( students ). They need some training to work with professionals and in different geographical location and multi culture environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay but not great

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Wipro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable company with lot of business and has well established structure. Well known name within IT Business and has projects running in various locations throughout the world.

Cons

You can get stuck in a role unless you play organizational politics. Growing in UK is extremely difficult and there are no regular increments despite good performance and being in billable role, which is demotivating. There is lot of disparity in money paid to local hires recruited from UK based on your negotiation skills rather than what value you are bringing to company.

Please look after loyal employees in UK rather than dishing out high entry level salary to new hires with no proven value, encourage organic progression.

The worst company I have worked for

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Wipro full-time for more than a year

Pros

None - oh ok... so it's IT services and BPO so always needed even if quality is very poor, or seems that way anyway! And there are a few good people around as in every company

Cons

Low quality workmanship, middle mgt who generally do not care for their customers or people; horrible processes and systems internally yet these are more important than the people; more time spent managing internal politics than facing the market....

Walk the talk, not set out new process.
    Get rid of the hangers on - they are no adding value

Miss alignment of expectations and no responsibility to perform task optimally

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wipro full-time for more than a year

Pros

remuneration is aligned or slightly above market rate

Cons

- Poor management
    - Very bureaucratic
    - Hierarchical
    - Indian centric
    - lack of demonstrable capability
    - no work life balance. if you invest heavily in your people treat them as assets

- If you hire high calibre experienced personnel allow them more free reign and empower them and be supportive, "Rome was not built in a day"
    - Listen to your people and put in place actions to address their concerns
    - Focus on core competency

Good company for early career professionals

Former Employee - Consulting Manager
    Former Employee - Consulting Manager

I worked at Wipro full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Variety of projects across multiple industry verticals

Cons

Can be quite bereaucratic at middle management levels

Don't underpay the best guys out of the company in the pursuit of short-term results

overall experience is good

I worked at Wipro full-time for more than a year

Pros

good training, workspace facility, transportation, career opportunity

Cons

Annual appraisal, UCF, free pool, diversification

Good people, horrible bureaucracy

Current Employee - Principal Analytics Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Analytics Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wipro full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are generally good both professionally and as human beings. There is the usual politics but generally no nastiness. Huge Indian placid and pacifist cultural influence. Being not an offshore employee, allows me to have great freedom. There is no micro management from my boss. Very flat org if you are not in the delivery organisation.

Cons

Really horrible bureaucracy. A company ran as civil service, everything has a process and a procedure. Some of the treatment of our offshore colleagues is terrible. Very little lateral thinking ensue from such a culture. Investing in the business is next to impossible without the support of some sales team who generally are clueless. The matrix org is a nightmare and teams compete against each other. Some prefer teaming up with external partners to working internally.

Get off your high horses, fix the bureaucracy and make the company leaner. Spin off businesses that do not fit the low cost model and are content driven into stand alone lean long term ventures (e.g. analytics).

A company to NOT WORK FOR. The biggest mistake I ever did was to accept an offer from them.

Former Employee - Solutions Architect  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wipro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Even if I try hard I cannot find any pros for this company.

Cons

People management is poor, the career progression it is not based on your skills and experience but on the area you're coming from.
    They want to hire non indian professional but in the meetings they all speak they own language.
    They also have a poor sales team, poor project management and an attitude to make calls not to fix issues but only to annoy the reporter (is this a strategy to avoid issues?)

Try to to some actual work. Management is not only pushing people to work harder but to motivate and inspire.
    If you want to work globally you must understand that there are different cultures an not only the Wipro way (that is a dead end).
    I will remove this company from my CV.

Worked for Wipro? Contribute to the Community!