WiredTree

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
2.6

Zac Cogswell

Great opportunity to grow admin skills in a challenging environment

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at WiredTree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will be surrounded by skilled admins and shift coordinators who are willing to extend their knowledge when asked; The experience you gain will be extremely useful to better your career as a systems admin; The range of tasks you take on don't stop at console work (ie, hardware and data center work will be a part of your day-to-day); Communication skills, critical thinking, and focus will be sharpened in order to complete your tasks as an admin here; Management is very experienced and professional, and are excellent trainers in acclimating someone to the work life of a web hosting admin; compensation is fair and is open for growth if you keep with it multiple years.

Cons

The shifts are long (12 hours) and the customers aren't always in a great mood or great communicators. Be prepared to take on a night shift if you are getting worked into the schedule (this could be a plus for some); The size of shift teams seem a bit light on shifts that get very busy; The vacation hour policy is stingy if you haven't worked there for multiple years; Some issues may be above your skill level and there may not be an immediate superior available to help sort the issue out quickly.

Better cohesion or positive reinforcement to admins would be helpful and encouraging during long periods of time where communication between employee and manage does not exist or is difficult to have regularly (ie, night shifts). It may be beneficial to offer quarterly or half-year salary reviews to help keep employees dialed in to the company...which is also good for feedback on skills/admin status.

Sep 19, 2014VP of Customer Service

Thanks for your review of WiredTree and for your hard work while you were with us! We are glad that you found the on the job training and overall experience here to be a positive one. We are trying ... More

Completely Tricked

I worked at WiredTree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Up to date technology and you get to take your laptop home with you. There's a bar literally downstairs and across the street. Good places to eat. Train drops you off a block away. Chairs are comfortable.

Cons

Management yells at you, talks behind your back, and prevents you from eating lunch. HR is the owners wife which if you ask me is completely unprofessional and a conflict of interest. HR also doesn't seem to have a clue on how to answer any questions you may have. Management even talks behind managements back A LOT. The infrastructure there is terrible. Cable management in non-existant. 12 hour shifts are very trying especially when you don't get a real lunch break. The turn around rate is about a year. They either fire you after that time or you will quit. There are employees there merely to snitch on others. The promises they make when you are first hired become mere dreams. Senior Admins have a god complex and almost laugh at you when you have a question. Training is terrible. Training was a workbook while the trainer surfed the internet not even helping with the queue. Floor manager is a nice guy but he is probably the one you want to watch what you say to the most. Many false misleading things have come from him too often. It seems like management is overworked just like everyone else. Pay isn't great and receiving a raise is almost impossible. Even if you are approved for a raise, they make sure to wait 3-6 months before actually giving you a raise. Employees have been fired unjustly with no warning or reason. You cannot eat at your desk so you starve until management leaves even though Management and other senior eat at their desks. Prepare for coats and gloves all year around. Even when people complain about numbness in their hands from the cold it is disregarded without even a simple compromise. If you increase the heat when management leaves they yell at everyone for electricity cost when all the employees are trying to do is stay a little warm because the temperature is set to 60 degrees.

Listen to your admins, stop yelling at them, actually give people raises and make room for shift changes and employee needs. LET YOUR ADMINS EAT!! depriving employees from lunch breaks regardless of if they're salaried is LAW not an option to contemplate about.

Oct 22, 2014VP of Customer Service

I am sorry you felt tricked. That is the last thing we want people to feel. It sounds like you were with us a while back based on your pros listed and we have changed and improved a lot of things ... More

Worst company in Chicago to work for!

Former Employee - Linux Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Linux Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at WiredTree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

there is nothing positive I can say about this company - not one. I take that back. The company is very easy to get to by the CTA or Metra. There really isn't any perks I can think of. Those that don't know to much about Linux at least they will give you a chance but if you screw up they will fire you immediately! If you aren't mentoring then you are not leading!

Cons

Screamed at on a daily basis! Extremely unprofessional management! They either love you or hate you. Very high turnover rate. The managers MUST have some type of personality disorder. I've never worked in such a horrible place in my life.

treat your employees like an asset. I tell all my friends to avoid your services. Your reputation eventually get out and your business will go under.

Sep 29, 2014VP of Customer Service

I am sorry you feel that there is nothing positive to say about your time with us here at WiredTree. That is the last thing that we want anyone that parts ways with us to feel. I can say that we try ... More

Wretched little sweatshop

I worked at WiredTree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

WiredTree is an awful place to work, but it is a place to work. It's pretty easy to get hired there, if you seem to know your way around linux they'll give you a chance. And the people who survive more than a few months are quite remarkable, smart and hard-working and funny without exception, and somehow they deliver a high quality of service in spite of everything.

Cons

Severe, chronic, almost criminal understaffing. They're trying to compete against larger companies with a skeleton crew and the workload and stress level are off the charts. Every single day you feel like you're skirting the edge of disaster, and nothing ever gets better.

Upper management is cheap, dishonest, erratic, unprofessional and almost comically disorganized. I think they're smart nerds who got picked on a lot and grew up to be frightened, angry and mean. They seem to be unaware of, or unconcerned with, the constant frustration faced by employees and refuse to take responsibility for anything. Their solution to every problem is to "push harder", "dig deeper", "go the extra mile".

Training is minimal and largely irrelevant. Documentation consists of the google and a hit-or-miss wiki. Support policies are ill-defined, usually ex-post-facto and sometimes contradictory. There is no solutions database, no issue tracking, no trends analysis. Admins are constantly re-inventing the wheel.

Back-end infrastructure is held together with chewing gum, velcro, and ebury worms. Like everything else about the place, it was thrown together in great haste and without a plan.

Pay is very low and benefits almost non-existent.

Bottom line, everybody, and I mean everybody, eventually gets fed up and quits.

If they don't realize there's a problem by now, they never will. At some point the revolving door will turn into a mass exodus and that will be the end of it.

Jun 23, 2014VP of Customer Service

Thanks for your review of your time here at WiredTree. I can say that that we have been working hard on fixing any pain points that our staff may feel. I wish you would have provided this feedback in ... More

Interesting way to learn things

Former Employee - WiredTree in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - WiredTree in Chicago, IL

I worked at WiredTree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You'll learn a lot and work with other great admins. A really diverse amount of skills and environments

Cons

Most of the management doesn't care if you learn or not; only that you know and don't let down customers

Jun 23, 2014VP of Customer Service

Thanks for your feelings about working with us here at WiredTree. I am sorry you felt that management doesn't care about your personal growth as a Linux Systems Admin. We are always trying to improve ... More

Be prepared to work towards what you want, don't expect handouts.

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WiredTree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities to gain experience where you may not have had any, or the credentials on your resume to get you the opportunity in the first place.

Lots of room for growth within the company if you work at it. This isn't a place where you can come to work, do the minimum, and expect to get ahead. If you work hard you will. Pretty simple.

Lots of support from senior admins and managers available.

Cons

It's not going to be an easy ride. The first year is going to be tough for some people. Be prepared for some bumps along the way, especially if you are inexperienced. There are plenty of people to ask for help, but it can still be very stressful until you get the hang of things. Keep at it and get through this period, and you'll be fine.

Keep hiring. Every employee who has been with the company for an extended period of time knows the opportunities that are available, they just may not be obvious to everyone.

Lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Linux Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Linux Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WiredTree full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like to work in this field, this place will keep you busy. Wide variety of work. Challenging work.

Cons

Hard work if you are not pursuing a career with Linux and hosting.

No advice. Keep up the good work!

No easy rides here, be prepared to work and be held accountable.

Current Employee - Billing Department in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Billing Department in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WiredTree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open work environment, casual attire, many employee perks (free lunches, refreshment, holiday parties), great environment to learn a lot about Linux even if you don't have much knowledge coming in. Employees are held accountable for their actions, poor performance and poor attendance is not permitted.

Cons

If you are not prepared to be held accountable for your actions / attendance, you will not have a good time.

Keep weeding out the people that aren't ready for a real-world job, lazy people with chips on their shoulders only drag others down.

Get paid to learn!

I worked at WiredTree full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The biggest upside is that you will learn a lot in a very short time (if you work hard). Web Hosting is a fast paced environment, so expect to learn new things every day and even gain a niche in the long run. Also, the managers at WiredTree (Joe/James/Adam/Alexis) are hard working, understanding, and easy going people. They will work from home if you need assistance in any given situation, and most are a call or Instant Message away. They will teach you new things everyday so absorb all that you can. Zac is also a great boss. If you work hard, listen and put in a 100%; he will notice and will reward you. In regards to the staff, you will work with a diverse and brilliant group of individuals, who each have their own knack or specialty. You will learn a lot from your fellow admins, as WiredTree has a tendency to hire team players. Never be afraid to ask questions. It will make working at WiredTree a smooth ride.

Cons

Hard work (if you are lazy). Seriously, if you are looking for an easy check and a place to slack off, this place is not for you. Yes, there will be moments of downtime, but even then you should be working on something proactive. With that said, WiredTree is a great place to work at if you are hard working and motivated. Dress attire is casual, the environment is laid back, and the rewards and play times(Christmas/holiday parties, and in-house pinball tournaments) are just terrific. But you must put in effort to be rewarded. Hard work will not go unnoticed. If you are a new staff member, bring your A game and you will be golden.

Keep up the good work. Only real advice I could give is to keep hiring! WiredTree is twice as busy compared to when I started, so you are going to need a bigger staff soon :-)

If you want to be overworked and have your spirit broken, work at WiredTree.

I worked at WiredTree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will meet some super smart admins. A lot of big brains and big hearts. Only reason I can see why people stay.

Cons

I will begin with the fact that management likes to squeeze the most out of you. They know that the turnaround for admins at WiredTree is huge, so they will make you grind for 12+ hours straight. No one, and I do mean no one, lasts longer than 2 years. Once you hop a year, almost everyone will be new, except maybe 1 or 2 that has gotten promoted or moved around to replace someone else that has quit. Admins and developers, who know their worth, will walk within the first few weeks. They just can’t keep themselves fully staffed. I feel that the biggest reason why people walk has to be the lack of structure and team work. Management preaches team work, but they favor the admins who they buddy up with, and take advantage of the ones who don't know how to say no.

WiredTree has some very smart admins and shift leads, and it is sad and insulting when you see a person that doesn't deserve it or leaches off of others to make themselves look good, get promoted. Every company has one, so in general, beware of these kinds of people, they will throw you under the bus for self-gain. I believe the one I encountered at WiredTree still works there, so I warn future admins, she will throw you under the bus to cover up the fact that she has little to no knowledge of Linux and scripting. I don't have to give names; you'll sniff out this person(s) once you start working there. Don't bother talking to management, because they will look the other way. As a matter of fact, they already have by promoting this person. Also, I don't know what they are talking about in regards to bonuses and free lunches. Yes you have endless access to energy drinks, but no free lunches and bonuses are only given when Zac (CEO) is in a good mood or doesn't forget. Months will go by without bonuses, and the system for rewarding people is a joke.

Once you are on shift, make sure you have a big breakfast because expect to not eat for 12 hours. Managers take lunch early between 11-noon, eat in front of you, and don't bother to offer to take over your work so you can take a short break. They simply do not care. They have it set in their minds that it is up to you and the other 2 admins to figure it out, which means you will need to grind harder so one of you can run out and shove some food in your mouth. Noobs in training, developers and management, will take their lunch break in groups, while the 2 to 3 admins on shift just keep grinding for 12+ hours straight. There are just too many clients for 3 people to handle, yet if you fall a bit behind you will get verbally scolded. Some clients need extra attention, and there simply isn't the man power and time to help them all out 100%. In addition, you will get flack if you only hit a lesser amount of replies a day against others that might hit a 100+. The problem with that is some of the admins who have a lesser count, are sometimes the ones who pick up the harder work and put in more time to help fix the ACTUAL problem, yet that is never considered. It really sucks to come into work and pick up a ticket that has 40 replies because the admin before is off base, doesn't know what they were doing, or has been giving the customer the wrong solutions/answers over and over again. Going back to the lunch breaks, I can believe no has filed a complaint with IDHR.

Admin work at WiredTree is no better than an assembly line, and trust me, after some time it will start to break you down. All this combined can even begin to break your spirit and mentally decapitate the notion that you can do better elsewhere. In regards to Zac, I wouldn't approve of him as a CEO. He has temper tantrums and flips like coin so often that the other managers are constantly apologizing for him. I have heard them say this out loud, as most things that should be private are said out load often at WiredTree. You can't verbally abuse an employee and expect for them not to quit or become a bit jaded. You don't treat another adult like they're less than you only because you own your own business. It's unprofessional and downright appalling.

It was also mentioned that in a previous review that the bad reviews for this company are dissatisfied ex-employees who were fired. That is a false statement. I for one walked away and can honestly say that about 9 out of 10 employees at WiredTree walked away as well. Out of probably 15-20+ employees that I have seen go, only about 2-3 of them were fired. So take that to consideration when reading these reviews. I'm just warning you an advance. Also, notice that almost all of the good reviews here are employees who are still there. You don't really grasp how bad it is/was until you leave and you are treated fairly elsewhere. You leave so traumatized and burnt out, that at times, you can't grasp the concept being treated fairly at another company. But I guarantee, there is better places to work at than WIredTree. 40K is not worth it.Think about that.

I could go on and on, but this should suffice for anyone who wants a REAL perspective on what it is to work for WiredTree.

Take these reviews as a wake up call rather than getting upset or attempting to have bad reviews removed. Leave the arrogance behind and take employee complaints and advice into consideration rather than take it to heart or as a personal attack. Just because you run/own a company doesn't mean you know everything, or know how to manage people properly. Rather than saying "that guy/gal was crap anyway" you should take the progressive route and say "what could I have done better as a manager?" Another tip, management should take some kind of leadership and/or sensitivity classes. .