Wireless Advocates
www.wirelessadvocates.com Seattle, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Wireless Advocates Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Carol Criner

Pros:
  • "Relaxed atmosphere, inside of Costco"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Good pay if you know how to sell, good benefits for full timers"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work/life balance, benefits are too expensive"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper management elicits feed back from the kiosk level"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Former Kiosk Manager

Kiosk Manager (Sales Manager) (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is a great place for young kids to get their start in the wireless industry, as once you leave this company, you will have the knowledge of at least three carriers and a TV service.
The products offered are slim, but competitive so we had what we needed to sell.
Benefits start for employees at 30 hours (32 in some states), and Wireless Sales experts have decent bonus structures.
Paid time off is granted at the beginning of every year for full time employees.
Sales skills learned can cross over to less consumer oriented sales.
If you have a good District Manager, you can develop a great work relationship that can help you move up.
Company supports their employees in doing the right thing, as does Costco. This is a fairly good working relationship.
Great springboard to bigger and better things.
Met a lot of great people.
Relaxed environment (depending on who you work for)
Costco built in market/traffic makes things easier.
Costco has built much of the rapport with the customers already, and you are assumed to be a part of that rapport.

ConsFor Kiosk Managers, work balance is ever increasing with no increase in pay aside from yearly performance based increases which max out at $0.29/year.
Company still pays Full and Part time employees slave wages to compete in a highly saturated market.
Pay does not increase whatsoever for long term employees who show loyalty and/or great results.
Depending on District, the culture cultivated can be rather complacent. People tend to stay here as a short term investment, or languish in complacency for years.
District managers are responsible for distributing budgets, and budgets can be based on favortism rather than results.
As stated above, if your DM does not like you, you may get a disproportionate amount of the Districts budget which is inequivalent to the trends and capacity of your store.
Company does not always understand that retail cycles ebb and flow not just seasonally, but also perenially. Just because last year was great, does not mean every year after that MUST be.
Does not factor into budgets anything but past results and rolling average. Door counts are seen as tertiary concerns, and stores with low door counts often get disproportionately high budgets because of short term success.
Turnover is far too high, even for the retail world.
Company has posted 75% turnover rates in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into increases in cost of living wages for long term employees who show exemplary results.
Increase pay for Dish reps if you are going to expect the impossible out of them, you cannot hire quality employees who work at slave wages.
Hire a CEO who has time to run the company instead of letting the owner (Dan Brettler) run the company into the ground because he has insufficient time to handle the business.
Don't cut hours for training employees just to save a buck, your results stink when your employees are untrained baffoons.
PROPERLY train KMs so they know how to train their employees if you are going to stick with limited to nil training hours for new reps.
PROPERLY train DMs to be active in their districts and send them on sales seminars so when they do need to take over a kiosk for a short period of time, they don't look like incompetent.

No complaints

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wireless Advocates

ProsGreat manager & district manager. Gain a lot of knowledge and relaxed work environment.

ConsNothing really at the moment

Advice to Senior ManagementPay hard workers more than minimum wage.

Good place to start

WSE Wireless Sales Expert (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Wireless Advocates part-time for more than a year

ProsPay is OK.
Easy job to do; repetitive but consistent.
Lots of flexibility.
Great working environment.

ConsThe tools for you to get your job done are old and sometimes do not work as needed.
You have no control on the phones available.
Little room for climbing up in the professional ladder.
No control. You gotta do what you gotta do, in order to get things done!
Somewhat unrealistic goals.
Poor and small selection of devices.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with the sales people on the floor and find out from the people who experience it...how can we get better at what we do?... There seems to be two different worlds out there.

Highest paying cellular job

Kiosk Manager (Current Employee)
Goleta, CA

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey pay the best commissions I have seen in 14 years of cellphone sales.

ConsManagement is very harsh and do not give compliments at all. I was #2 in the district in sales over 2 years and was only shown my faults which caused me to resign to another company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to your district managers get in touch with your kiosks and find out what is really going on at other levels.

WSE

WSE Wireless Sales Expert (Current Employee)
South San Francisco, CA

quotas
not career worthy
hard depending on locaton

Resume Building Oppourtunity

Kiosk Manager (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI liked the pay at the time. The job is made by the people you work with. In this case I really enjoyed my manager, most of the time. He taught me things that I have been able to leverage in other interviews and moving forward in my life. He added value to my personal as well as professional growth. As a manager you are tasked with great responsibilities you can speak to in your later endeavors.

ConsIt is can be a little trying on your nerves. All of these kiosks are located within a Costco warehouse. Costco members can act entitled, demanding that you bend the rules for them. No time off because of the limitations on staffing. Goals are not based on factual numbers. Just whatever upper management wants to place them at. They make it really hard to hit your number and give you very little accountability options for your staff. I held the position of Kiosk Manager for 3 years and experienced the same conditions, year after year. New responsibilities are added, pay is not increased.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease find a foundation on what you base sales goals on. It is unfair to pull a number out of speculation, not based on facts. It is hard to motivate people by saying, "We have a coupon this month, so we are doubling your goal" It is also hard to show up, with only two people working within 10 hours and be expected to sell 30 phones, provide great customer service, sell insurance, set up phones, and suggest other solutions like direct TV and dish network, oh and don't forget the air card!. All while keeping in mind that you cant be too pushy, because the Costco philosophy is against it. I have worked in other Cellphone retail locations where the customer is the number one priority, with adequate staffing, and I sold much much more effectively.

Good coworkers bad managers.

WIRELESS SALES EXPERT (Former Employee)

I worked at Wireless Advocates part-time for more than a year

ProsCommission isn't bad, coworkers are nice

ConsThe company as a whole are more interested in people who will tow the line rather than those with ideas, commission goes down every year like clockwork, unattainable goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect things to get fixed overnight. The company is far to reliant on quick fixes rather than fixing their foundation.

Disappointing waste of a great customer base.

WIRELESS SALES EXPERT (Former Employee)
Mount Prospect, IL

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time for less than a year

ProsGood place to gain sales experience, and improve your communication skills with customers. Access to Costco's customer base and deals with membership.

ConsLong days, little or no accommodations, light staffing, Kiosk sales, Low pay, and little or no real benefits for your efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove kiosk design to allow employees and customers to converse in less of a BIG BOX setting, improvement of activation systems and equipment would also help employee sales by reducing the need to call customer support to activate devices.

It was an okay experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Wireless Advocates

Proscomission based
okay hours
always something to do

ConsNot enough hours
high quotas
pay isnt great

It was a great company to gain sales experience with.

Wireless Sales Expert (Current Employee)
Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time for more than a year

ProsGood commission and bonus plan. Fun work atmosphere. Good benefits. I liked working inside of Costco stores, a lot of foot traffic and sales opportunities

ConsThere were a lot of required meetings that were very repeatative and boring. I also did not like to have to work weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be equal commissions on upgrades as there are for new lines for the sales reps.

Worked for Wireless Advocates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wireless Advocates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wireless Advocates CEO Carol Criner. All 140 reviews posted anonymously by Wireless Advocates employees.