Wireless Advocates

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.6

Carol Criner

Pros
  • Great pricing and being inside Costco beats the competition (in 14 reviews)

• You can make pretty decent money here while working very few hours (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Just whatever upper management wants to place them at (in 14 reviews)

• Most people work very long hours and have bad work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

ok company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, free bagels and bus pass

Cons

No room for growth, poor management

Better training, room for growth

Its all about Financing Now

Current Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Commission and hourly based pay, Off on Holidays because of Costco, good on contract pricing if you decided to do a two year contract

Cons

Time off is few and far between, bad management, no room to grow unless you decided to want to be a manager, they want you to push for services that sometimes arent in the best interest for customers.

Hire better managers who arent pompous and take their staff for granted

Location Is Everything

Current Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. Full time is 33-35 hours so it leaves time for other things.
    There's generally only 4 people working at one kiosk so not a whole lot of over site. Costco workers are generally friendly. By the end of my career there I'd made friends with just about everyone and could do whatever the hell I wanted it felt like.
    You can play around with all of the newest phones. Not a whole lot of responsibility because you're a 3rd party retailer.
    If you are in a higher traffic store you make pretty decent money.

Cons

Location is everything. WA pays per unit out so if you are in a slow store you aren't going to make very much money.
    They don't give raises at all. From what I've seen it's not super hard to get promoted to manager but from there it's pretty hard to move up from there.
    If you end up with someone you don't like at your kiosk it can get pretty bad because you're stuck in a 8 foot box with them for hours a day.
    It's really hard to get fired from here so some really irritating people just hang around forever.

I would advise maybe considering raises for people who hang around over a year or two. You'd get more loyalty.

Good Pay, not that great work environment

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Wireless Sales Representative

I have been working at Wireless Advocates part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Made 3 grand average every month was recognized as one of the top sales people in the company and in my region

Cons

management easily overlooks people for promotions.
    strict work professionalism
    mystery shops
    requirement to greet

ease up let people do their thing and look more at people who are excelling for promotions

Good job while in college.

I worked at Wireless Advocates part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, hourly plus commission, Easy to use point of activation systems, if full time employee you benefit from good perks.

Cons

Sometimes there is simply no room for growth, in order to move up you need to suck up to the bosses a lot not based on work productivity alone.

Consider discussing better time off policies

One of the worst experiences ever

Former Employee - Kiosk Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Kiosk Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

lots of traffic
    Decent training
    Good opportunities to make sales

Cons

horrible, dishonest managers many of them do not know or simply do not do their job and blame those below them when they miss their bonus. High sales goals, no inventory and they expect you to sell things to customers that they do not want. Demand you be on the sales floor yet require a lot of busy work that is useless. If you try and stand up you get screwed by your district manager who is most disrespectful and talks negatively to others even when smiling in your face and telling you how great you are. The atmosphere is toxic, and they are constantly messing with commission. They also say goals are based on door count, and then raise the goals just because a new device becomes available.

hire true managers not just alleged sales people. With things I saw, this company is a huge law suit waiting to happen. I.e selling phones is like dating you keep talking until you get her panties down. Real class and professionalism. And if DM puts his team in place they can make excuses and not meet deadlines just because they follow him like blind idiots no matter how wrong his actions are. Check reports managers file. You have secret shoppers to check your staff. Call your field managers and ask questions about site visits. I have seen lies about conversations with store management where there was no conversation at all. Yet this same person is writing people up, questioning people's integrity , and firing people, when he is a poor leader who does know this business.

Easy (and decent) money but bad management

Former Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the amount of work you do you can make pretty good money. Flexible schedule. Would make an excellent 2nd job, or job in between jobs... Just not something you can count on long term... Fun people to work with!

Cons

Commission was constantly being changed, usually meaning a pay cut. Bonuses for FT/PT was very difficult to hit for a mid sized store in Midwest, and usually resulted in only $1-200. Due to constant commission cuts and cutting my hrs by the time I quit after 1 yr, 9 mos) I was losing on avg 35% of what I started out making monthly... Money I had come to rely on to survive

After nearly 2 years of employment and steady sales, I should make similar, if not more, money than when I started. Not take massive pay cuts. Also doesn't hurt to keep an eye on management attendance...

Company could do Better.

Former Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT
    Former Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT

I worked at Wireless Advocates part-time (more than an year)

Pros

No quota to hit, to get Commission. Also get paid hourly.

Cons

Minimum Wage. Commission Cut over the years to get the employees to focus on selling more MIFI Hotspots, when its difficult to do that when all carriers offer Free Hot spot now on all Data Plans. The company is always the last ones to get the New Phones as well at Costco compared to the Corporate Wireless carriers. Cannot sale phones out right to customers.

The worst employer in the Seattle area

I worked at Wireless Advocates

Pros

the only plus is that they are located inside Costco

Cons

Where do I start? The executives are greedy, the pay is terrible, the benefits are awful. This company is full of uneducated people who started in the retail stores (even without a high school diploma) then worked their way up through the ranks. Not necessarily a bad thing but there comes a time in any company's lifespan where you need to add outside talent into your company. This includes people who have both education and experience in other organizations. unfortunately, those people don't last long at WA. they are seen as a threat and quickly moved out. This company values loyalty (often ignorant/blind) above ability. They are ruining any potential this company had. Both Car Toys and WA are failing because of poor talent management. And don't turn your back on anyone there. I can't count the knife wounds in my back I left with.

Management doesn't listen anyway so I'm not going to bother posting anything.

Lack of leadership and antiquated systems cause more heartache than good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free Orca pass for corp employees Nice people.

Cons

Dictatorship style of leadership. High employee turnover (especially in IT). Old non-supported systems with multiple weekly outages causing a great deal of heartache in retail locations. IT Personnel carrying the blame.

Take full ownership of internal problems rather than blaming employees.

Wireless Advocates Photos