Wireless Advocates

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014
2.4

Carol Criner

Pros
  • Great pricing and being inside Costco beats the competition (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay if you know how to sell, good benefits for full timers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Just whatever upper management wants to place them at (in 13 reviews)

• Most people work very long hours and have bad work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience has been fun and a learning experience.

Current Employee - Wireless Consultant  in  Chino Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Wireless Consultant in Chino Hills, CA

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Personal growth and sales experience.

Cons

I would just say if anything the area we had to work with.

N/a

Decent, but draining.

Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert  in  Westbury, NY
    Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in Westbury, NY

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The bonus structure was decent back in 2009, not sure now. Improve communication skills.

Cons

Costco customers are insanely cheap. Long hours for insufficient pay.

Stop firing district managers every three weeks.

Disappointed with the Recruiter for the explanation of benefits of the company.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time for less than a year

Pros

The managers seem to have turned things around and I was impressed in meeting with them. The company paid for my parking at the headquarters. The people I met with were very respectful. There were two rounds of interviews and both were professional and fair.

Cons

The benefits package is not comprehensive and up to par as compared to other companies. I wish the company would have taken stronger consideration since I have a good number of years of industry experience for the hourly rate they were offering. The salary was not the main reason I declined the offer letter.

In your offer letters to candidates you have to do a much better job in providing more detail about the benefits so candidates can make a more informed decision whether to accept the position.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Middle management is full of empty promises and doesn't know what they are doing!

Former Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT  in  Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time for more than a year

Pros

A good way to get your foot into Telecommunications. Pretty decent commission on good months. And you have the ability to get vacation time fast.

Cons

Outrageous sales goals for the amount of traffic that was actually in the store. All of the customers thought that we were Costco workers so that's all that they would ask about. Middle management doesn't know what their doing. And they don't even have decent training its all "you learn it on the job" but that doesn't work for some people.

Learn to appreciate the workers that go above and beyond for you guys! And take more time to study the traffic in Alaska compared to the traffic down south so that you don't have such a high turn over rate!

Experienced Candidates need not apply, this is for first job ever employees

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time for less than a year

Pros

location in Belltown
    access to metro
    great restaurants

Cons

struggling leadership
    lack of transformational leadership
    lack of plan toward execution
    doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome

hire new leadership at many levels who are up to the job
    coaching is not possible due to disorganized pace of work
    too many meetings, not enough work
    IT is very behind
    add structure, incentives and follow through with consequences to missing deadlines/ goals
    have the guts to pull the trigger to make changes
    fire underachievers
    hire strong leaders to take the business to the next levels
    interim president [Car Toys CEO] is oblivious of transformational leadership

Not much upside for career, change commission structure too frequently.

I worked at Wireless Advocates

Pros

Great pricing and being inside Costco beats the competition. Was able to push the best phones and make commission. Interact with different types of people to build social skills as well as communication with different vendors. Great starting job for college student.

Cons

Commission dropped significantly over the two year time period I was there. Unorganized and the training is decent, but it entirely depends on your manager and how efficient they are. I experienced several managers who should not have been the leaders of the kiosk and took advantage of their employees by taking sales/switching shifts suddenly.

Have a clear strategy plan and communicate to the kiosk. Changing the commission values steadily over the last two years pushed the senior employees away. Take more time to analyze your manager staff rather then just trying to put a body in there. Hiring just Radio Shack employees is not the answer....

HQ Manager -- Company focused on the bottom line and only short term goal

Former Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Small company environment - I like that. I got to work on a lot of cross-department projects. Leadership doesn't make any investments into the company (systems, employee programs, etc)

Cons

Work like balance was poor and compensation was below pare. Leadership doesn't make any investments into the company (systems, employee programs, etc) and breeds a toxic culture. Owner and Sr Exec also owns Car Toys. Seems like Wireless Advocates is his person ATM.

Treat Wireless Advocates like a sustainable company and build a long term strategy. Invest in the talent you have and in company systems and programs. Stop hiring talented managers & leaders and then ignoring their ideas and strategies.

Was happy but...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time for more than a year

Pros

hmmmm too exhausted from working from the past month without a day off to think of any pros...tired of 12 hour days...need a break

Cons

Was happy but then they changed our commission significantly and the fact that if you lose 1 person you are stuck working every day 12 hour days.

let the kiosk hire a 4th because you will lose good managers because you work them like dogs.

Quantity of sales over the quality of service.

Former Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT  in  Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is an opportunity to sell a lot of products due to the access to a wide variety of mobile products.

Cons

Due to the desire of the constant sales, they will push for numbers instead of quality service. Additionally, they reward most methods of selling mobile devices, good or bad. Because of this mentality, some substandard managers are hired over people who are more likely to ensure customers are taken care of (which is important, since the customers are COSTCO members).

Decrease high turnover and sometimes low morale with better pay and benefits, especially for the lowest position, the actual Wireless Sales Experts (WSEs). Also, improve the ease of managing the kiosks including updating the antiquated store opening and closing procedure.

This company has potential

Former Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Wireless Advocates part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gain experience working on a commissioned sales. Often work independently or with little direct supervision.

Cons

Lack of basic functioning work tools and inventory. Commssions are getting smaller each year, and occasionally get taken away, seemingly at random for "improperly completed paperwork". Little to no growth, in the 2 years I worked for this company there were no promotions, and commissions were getting smaller, so we all technically are paid less. Ordering systems often go down on busy days causing us to lose sales. No customer management software, so sales often get stolen by co-workers. No APPLE PRODUCTS.

Productivity is not properly tracked, so there is no way to properly reward the best employees. A consistent schedule or having work schedules made a week in advance would be helpful. I felt that my life was in disarray because I never knew my work schedule until a day or two in advance sometimes. Sell accessories.

Wireless Advocates Photos

Worked for Wireless Advocates? Contribute to the Community!