Wireless Advocates

www.wirelessadvocates.com

Wireless Advocates Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Carol Criner

Pros
  • Great pricing and being inside Costco beats the competition(in 13 reviews)

• Good pay if you know how to sell, good benefits for full timers(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Just whatever upper management wants to place them at(in 13 reviews)

• Most people work very long hours and have bad work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

Not much upside for career, change commission structure too frequently.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pricing and being inside Costco beats the competition. Was able to push the best phones and make commission. Interact with different types of people to build social skills as well as communication with different vendors. Great starting job for college student.

ConsCommission dropped significantly over the two year time period I was there. Unorganized and the training is decent, but it entirely depends on your manager and how efficient they are. I experienced several managers who should not have been the leaders of the kiosk and took advantage of their employees by taking sales/switching shifts suddenly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a clear strategy plan and communicate to the kiosk. Changing the commission values steadily over the last two years pushed the senior employees away. Take more time to analyze your manager staff rather then just trying to put a body in there. Hiring just Radio Shack employees is not the answer....

I enjoy my job but some things could be way better.

Wireless Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI work in the military channel and I really enjoy the atmosphere. I think the new General manager Dewayne Carter is doing a good job making improvements.

ConsThe commission pay changes too often and the focus on operational nonsense is too great. We should be focused on growth. The lack of labor hours to have adequate staffing is horrible. The technology used to run the business is unacceptable.

Quantity of sales over the quality of service.

WIRELESS SALES EXPERT (Former Employee) Winter Park, FL

ProsThere is an opportunity to sell a lot of products due to the access to a wide variety of mobile products.

ConsDue to the desire of the constant sales, they will push for numbers instead of quality service. Additionally, they reward most methods of selling mobile devices, good or bad. Because of this mentality, some substandard managers are hired over people who are more likely to ensure customers are taken care of (which is important, since the customers are COSTCO members).

Advice to Senior ManagementDecrease high turnover and sometimes low morale with better pay and benefits, especially for the lowest position, the actual Wireless Sales Experts (WSEs). Also, improve the ease of managing the kiosks including updating the antiquated store opening and closing procedure.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company has potential

WIRELESS SALES EXPERT (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGain experience working on a commissioned sales. Often work independently or with little direct supervision.

ConsLack of basic functioning work tools and inventory. Commssions are getting smaller each year, and occasionally get taken away, seemingly at random for "improperly completed paperwork". Little to no growth, in the 2 years I worked for this company there were no promotions, and commissions were getting smaller, so we all technically are paid less. Ordering systems often go down on busy days causing us to lose sales. No customer management software, so sales often get stolen by co-workers. No APPLE PRODUCTS.

Advice to Senior ManagementProductivity is not properly tracked, so there is no way to properly reward the best employees. A consistent schedule or having work schedules made a week in advance would be helpful. I felt that my life was in disarray because I never knew my work schedule until a day or two in advance sometimes. Sell accessories.

Not the same company it used to be...

WSE Wireless Sales Expert (Current Employee)

Pros-Decent Money
    -Discounts on personal account
    -Fast Paced
    -Great clientele

Cons-Little room for advancement
    -Little training (must learn as you go)
    -Corporate seems more interested in the money made than the employees needs

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They are the ones in the field, and are the heartbeat of your company.

Great company overall

Mobile Consultant (Former Employee) Stratham, NH

ProsCompensation was great and the district manager was one of the nicest I have ever had.

ConsTurned into a short term position because company dissolved partnership wit Staples.

Wireless Sales Expert

WIRELESS SALES EXPERT (Former Employee) Garden Grove, CA

ProsGood Prices because it is inside Costco
    Good traffic during weekend

ConsBad management
    You never know u will get fire
    Strong sales quotas to meet

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees

Kiosk manager

Kiosk Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDecent pay not great.
    Member base is great because of costco.
    Nothing else good to say but I need 20 words minimum.

ConsWork/personal life balance is terrible.
    Manager not only has to sell majority of the phones but do the paperwork, recruit.. etc etc.
    Often obligated to go recruit off the clock and no help is provided from upper management.
    Very backwards company on how they operate. From training to sales model to everything.
    Stupid kiosk binder is worthless and waste of time and paper.
    NO INCENTIVE given to tenured employees to stay.
    Company doesn't focus on field level employees that do the hard work at all.
    I can go on and on but I will rest my case. I think the only reason this company is in business is because they are inside of costco. Without costco, wireless advocates won't be around for long.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo out and look at other companies to see how they run their business. Start caring about your tenured employees so you won't have such high turnover. Stop lowering commissions every chance you get.

Ok for part time with

ProsDecker lines are great.
    Get first access to new cellular technology.
    Carry 3 different carriers so you have a solution for everyone.

ConsPoor corporate management.
    Minimum wage, Plus commission that gets cut yearly,which results in Turnover extremely high even for retail.
    Field level management is non existent.
    New district level management,from outside the company, every 8 to 16 months.
    Do not promote from with regardless of results.
    0 cost of living adjustments, and 0 raise for sales reps ever.
    Unrealistic goals every month. Raise goals on a percent they want to hit not on actual results.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuite pulling budgets out of thin air, and pay your employees. Listen to your employees and treat them like people and maybe your turnover will drop below80%.

interesting

WIRELESS SALES EXPERT (Former Employee) Chandler, AZ

Pros-costco hours
    -hourly plus commission
    -good for college job
    -advocate for 3 wireless companies (and directTV when I was working there)
    -no push selling

Cons-hourly plus commission
    -sometimes slow days and cant meet company goals
    -commission isnt much
    -politics (like every job)
    -redundant training

Advice to Senior Managementmanagers are allowed to work and sell with their employees, they already make salary and they get a bonus from whatever the kiosk makes, so they should just manage and NOT sell.
    it takes away from the sales experts who rely on the commission alone.

Worked for Wireless Advocates? Contribute to the Community!