Wireless Advocates

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
2.4

Carol Criner

Pros
  • Great pricing and being inside Costco beats the competition (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay if you know how to sell, good benefits for full timers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Just whatever upper management wants to place them at (in 14 reviews)

• Most people work very long hours and have bad work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a great job going into sales.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Wireless Advocates

Pros

The best reasons to work there is just getting experience. Being able to setup network opportunities.

Cons

Commission seems to change a bit but it's challenging work.

Focus in structure.

Great start for management.

I have been working at Wireless Advocates

Pros

Great Work environment, easy sales inside Costco, learn tons of communication skills.

Cons

Pay plan changes for commission annually.

Need to structure a middle position between KM and DM. Also consider higher hourly wage to keep high quality sales persons, as this job is fun and you can grow your knowledge on many facets for the work industry.

A ten year old start-up... what?

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Young demographic, always changing, opportunity for growth. Free parking or free bus pass.

Cons

So much work, not always enough hours in a day. Benefits are expensive.

Match the 401k. Pay attention to the signs that people are over loaded and adjust.

My experience has been fun and a learning experience.

Current Employee - Wireless Consultant in Chino Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Wireless Consultant in Chino Hills, CA

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Personal growth and sales experience.

Cons

I would just say if anything the area we had to work with.

N/a

Promotions are based on longevity.

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time

Pros

Very easy to get a job here on your own without their recruiting department.

Cons

Compensation and recruiting department is not professional.

Several current managers are not qualified.

A Good Stepping Stone Towards a Real Career

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Extremely outdated systems. Were still using a DOS based POS when I was there.

Spend more money on infrastructure (IT) and move into the 21st century. Need to focus more on employee retention and work-life balance. CEO should stop using the company as his own personal ATM.

Terrible, Greedy Company. The Polar Opposite of Costco.

Former Employee - Kiosk Manager
    Former Employee - Kiosk Manager

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- If you are in a high-traffic store (which I was fortunate enough to be in), you CAN make pretty good money (will touch on this later).
    - You can make many connections OUTSIDE of Wireless Advocates employes
    - Costco employees and management are fun to work with
    - The store itself is an easy going atmosphere (will also touch on this later)

Cons

I worked there starting part time, and got promoted to full time, and then manager. This took place over the course of 5+ years.

Within the first year, I thought the work required was a bit steep for the commission payout, but hey, I made pretty good money considering I was in a high volume store. Then... Paycuts.

Year 2: Pay cuts.
    Year 3: Pay cuts.
    Year 4: Changed 401K plan from a quarterly match to a yearly match. I would assume this is because this company has over 70% turnover year-over-year, and they figure they can save a truckload of money by not doing a 401K match for those employees who burnt out and quit. THEN, at the end of the year they decide NOT TO PAY OUT THEIR PROMISED 401K MATCH. Why? I guess going over 100% to GPD budget as a company is not a good enough performance. Apparently they don't make enough money.

And no, I'm not kidding about the 70+ percent turnover every year. They say it themselves every year in a performance update email. That number is probably higher now.

Year 5: Started carrying iPhone (finally), and also started hitting heavy into financed equipment. Which lead to yet another pay cut disguised as an "opportunity" to make more money. Right. If I sold exactly what they wanted me to push, in the exact quantities they wanted me to, yes, I theoretically COULD make more money. But it's a very poor, greedy, and insulting tactic.

Let me remind you that Costco is a company that wants to unbiasedly inform the members of EXACTLY what they are buying. Let me also remind you that Wireless Advocates is NOT Costco. Upper management has become so overwhelmingly aggressive on pushing financed equipment, that they have developed misleading strategies to lead customers into a personal loan, whether it is or isn't the best option for them. My point isn't that financed devices are bad (they are not for everyone). My point is that this company wants to push employees to the brink to get the most profitable sales out of them.

They don't care about service. I took pride in my service, and I had returning customers for years. I never got an award for that. No bonus for being a quality employee. And I'm not asking for one. But how about a little respect? I was in one of the few stores where Costco upper management respected my team and I because we ran a tight ship, and we understood the Costco business model. In comparison, I received many, MANY, complaints over the years from customers that visited other stores and dealt with their shady, pushy, & disrespectful sales crew. Guess what, they got away with it as long as the numbers were satisfactory!

There are three things Wireless Advocates cares about:

1- Numbers
    2- Numbers
    3- Numbers

Do you know what the most frustrating thing about this whole operation is? The kiosk is housed in Costco. Yes, Costco. The same company that fights for employee rights and fair wages. The same company that LITERALLY provides the best healthcare benefits in all of retail. The same company that has guaranteed raises, and multiple, multiple opportunities to be promoted within the system. As bad as Wireless Advocates is, shame on Costco for allowing this company to sink to this level. I am appalled. I think Costco contracts work with Wireless Advocates because they don't want to get their hands dirty in the very controversial business that is the mobile phone market.

It doesn't matter, they never listened. If I felt bullied by my boss and complained to his boss, they would just smooth it over until everyone calmed down. The next month rolls around, and guess what? Nobody is doing their job well enough, and welcome to the same blame game.

Let me try to wrap my head around upper managements strategies for a second:
    Have a bad month? Let's RAISE your budget next month. What's that, you lost an employee that couldn't take the terrible work life balance? Let's shift your ONLY REMAINING EMPLOYEES to another store! Because that makes sense! What's that, your printer is down and can't be repaired for a week? Let's keep the budget THE SAME! It's not our fault you can't do your job, GO CALL THE PRINTER TECHNICIAN!

The ONLY way Costco could provide a better customer experience in-store is to terminate the contract with Wireless Advocates, rip down that pathetic kiosk, and run the show themselves.

What a joke.

Decent, but draining.

Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in Westbury, NY
    Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in Westbury, NY

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The bonus structure was decent back in 2009, not sure now. Improve communication skills.

Cons

Costco customers are insanely cheap. Long hours for insufficient pay.

Stop firing district managers every three weeks.

Disappointed with the Recruiter for the explanation of benefits of the company.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The managers seem to have turned things around and I was impressed in meeting with them. The company paid for my parking at the headquarters. The people I met with were very respectful. There were two rounds of interviews and both were professional and fair.

Cons

The benefits package is not comprehensive and up to par as compared to other companies. I wish the company would have taken stronger consideration since I have a good number of years of industry experience for the hourly rate they were offering. The salary was not the main reason I declined the offer letter.

In your offer letters to candidates you have to do a much better job in providing more detail about the benefits so candidates can make a more informed decision whether to accept the position.

Experienced Candidates need not apply, this is for first job ever employees

Former Employee - District Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

location in Belltown
    access to metro
    great restaurants

Cons

struggling leadership
    lack of transformational leadership
    lack of plan toward execution
    doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome

hire new leadership at many levels who are up to the job
    coaching is not possible due to disorganized pace of work
    too many meetings, not enough work
    IT is very behind
    add structure, incentives and follow through with consequences to missing deadlines/ goals
    have the guts to pull the trigger to make changes
    fire underachievers
    hire strong leaders to take the business to the next levels
    interim president [Car Toys CEO] is oblivious of transformational leadership