Wireless Advocates

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
2.5

Carol Criner

Pros
  • Great pricing and being inside Costco beats the competition (in 14 reviews)

• You can make pretty decent money here while working very few hours (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Just whatever upper management wants to place them at (in 14 reviews)

• Most people work very long hours and have bad work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

WSE

Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in San Dimas, CA
    Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in San Dimas, CA

I have been working at Wireless Advocates part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun and laid-back environment, most of the time. Costco bubble. Selling three different carriers, gives you an edge.

Cons

Lack of training would improve the quality of sales associates hired.

Focus on training and hiring quality sales associates. Show appreciation to the top quality cells associates.

District Sales Manager

Former Employee - District Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Wireless Advocates

Pros

Working with Costco leaders and developing relationships with all the Account Managers in different wireless companies.

Cons

Need a higher level of training for new hires. Too much time is spent on keeping the kiosks on the isle when the kiosks have no control on where costco places them.

Make the best of it.

I have been working at Wireless Advocates

Pros

The pay is ok working part time during college, and this is also a good job to work right after you graduate for experience. The biggest benefit in my opinion is that if you put your own effort into it, while having a positive outlook, you can gain great sales experience.

Cons

long hours, inefficient tools, inefficient work space, little communication throughout the company.

Great for experience but you have to make the best of it.

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Has a laid back environment for the most part, you learn as you work. With the right coworkers can be very pleasant.

Cons

Having to be aggressive with sales may be great for some but challenging for many. Also if you work at a location with lots of potential(members with money to spend) you will do fine.

Unacceptable

Current Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT

I have been working at Wireless Advocates part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The job was extremely easy if you have experience in wireless sales. Located in Costco so their were many benefits for members that helped sales.

Cons

PAY! This job pays MINIMUM WAGE! I asked if there were ever any raises, and I was told you get a raise by raising your sales. I worked in the wireless industry for years and this pay was actually somewhat belittling. Granted you can make commission, but if your only scheduled 18 hours a week it becomes increasingly difficult to attain a reasonable commission check. Costco management treated us like we didn't belong there and that we were a burden, granted that may have just been this location in particular, but I never felt welcome by most of the employees. I am lucky I had experience in wireless because if I hadn't I would have failed miserably. My second day working in the kiosk the manager tried to leave me alone 5 hours before closing. I literally had to threaten to leave as well because I didn't have a clue as to how to work the systems. The training is a few online training courses that you are limited in time to take so the company doesn't have to pay you as much. Their were no benefits unless you were management, not even for full time. I asked if I could get some extra hours but was told I would have to go to different locations and the cost of gas outweighed the benefit of maybe getting a few sales. At one point I was told I would have to travel to a different city that was over an hour away and as a bonus I could get a $50 Costco cash card if I really wanted the extra hours. At the time of hire I was told I would average 30 hours a week which is now laughable. I should have gotten the hint to stay away when I was told during the interview that they don't discuss hourly pay. I honestly felt like I was hired under false pretenses. I was told that if our DM visited our kiosk I couldn't have my lunch there. The Costco employees didn't care for you to be there so putting things in their fridge was all but out of the question. Your not allowed to sit and the fatigue mats inside the kiosk do very little for support, while the Costco cashiers all had multiple mats to stand upon. I could go on and on, I have high expectations for my work space and expect a certain level of professionalism that was non-existent with this company. I wouldn't recommend this position to anyone who is used to making more than 20K a year, have a family to support, or are used to working with professionals.

Consider a pay raise for your employees. Although you motivate people to sell more when they make minimum wage it does nothing to boost morale.

This was the most frustrating company I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Wireless Sales Manager

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Because it was located on a military base, inside an exchange store, the customers were not typical mall types and were normally polite and considerate. Although I did have to spend considerable time and energy fixing 'reputation' issues when I took over, it was easier because it was a military environment and people were level headed. There was also the added bonus of being within a military host store that we could offer the customers the option of paying with their military credit card. The upper management were nice and personable, just did not do enough to make it a profitable and positive working environment. Tech support was awesome (trust me, you get to talk to them often). If you are working for a kiosk located on a large base that has family housing and a busier exchange, you can potentially make a decent income.

Cons

Lack of training or support. I had 5 hours of shadowing manager at a different kiosk and some inefficient online simulations to take over and manage an already struggling kiosk with no staff. After figuring out the many different systems to sell, trouble-shoot and activate devices on 4 different carriers; I was able to hire and train another sales rep. It is next to impossible to get people to work for you - pay and hours are unpleasant and it is very difficult to get base access. My employee and I typically worked open to close shifts, many of them alone so that one of us could get a day off. The upper management is not very available (I did not see my DM for several months after starting). There is little advertising or signage to even build a customer base (and it is limited to who can get on the base), and nothing happens when you ask upper management for these things. At the host store where my kiosk was located, the average day saw 10 customers (I would coax as many to my back corner location as possible); so the promised pay of $60k per year was a joke, I barely made 1/3 of that. Which was a serious drop from what I was accustomed to from working in mobility for a few years. Not allowed to sit, no place to put your things (because you are in a host store). The attire was very unprofessional for wireless sales, it was the same as Walmart.

Have REAL and ongoing training (not just computer simulations that are not effective). When a manager asks for training or assistance, find a way to get it to them. Also, when it is brought up that signage is needed (there was none) and advertising, help find solutions don't just give lip service! With a new manager coming into take over a bare and struggling kiosk, introducing them to the host store management and it's environment is needed. I had to try to introduce myself and had no idea who was supposed to be my 'contact manager' (it is extremely difficult when the company you work for has already burned it's trust and credibility with the host store). Do not just expect a new manager to be able to just take the store keys and know how to make money for the business with that limited of training of the systems,etc. Even an organized, seasoned professional will falter with no resources or guidance.

Changes every week

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MI

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Something new to learn and do everyweek
    Fast paced environment.
    fun people
    customer interaction

Cons

Company is constantly changing, new programs,
    Very Stressful
    Lots of trainings...

the trainings dont really go over anything important.

Quick money but terrible management

Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast money for those who can pick up on the different offers by each carrier

Cons

upper management is terrible. Too busy micro managing via text messages rather than speaking to people face to face or even over the phone. Schedule is not flexible if your location is under staffed which is the case 90% of the time. Unrealistic expectations are set for everyone. Pay scale sucks and never benefits WSE's but always the managers.

Base pay should be more than minimum wage and metrics need to be tweaked all across the board. Upper management needs to spend more time in the field and not at home behind a keyboard. Also, more in house promotions should happen rather than hiring new managers from outside and having WSE's train them.

ok

I worked at Wireless Advocates

Pros

good product pricing and values over competitors
    small team

Cons

base pay is minimum wage
    have to stand all day

ok company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, free bagels and bus pass

Cons

No room for growth, poor management

Better training, room for growth

Wireless Advocates Photos