Wireless Advocates Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
199 reviews filtered by

1. A ten year old start-up... what?

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Young demographic, always changing, opportunity for growth. Free parking or free bus pass.

Cons

So much work, not always enough hours in a day. Benefits are expensive.

Advice to Management

Match the 401k. Pay attention to the signs that people are over loaded and adjust.

Promotions are based on longevity.

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time

Pros

Very easy to get a job here on your own without their recruiting department.

Cons

Compensation and recruiting department is not professional.

Advice to Management

Several current managers are not qualified.

3. A Good Stepping Stone Towards a Real Career

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Extremely outdated systems. Were still using a DOS based POS when I was there.

Advice to Management

Spend more money on infrastructure (IT) and move into the 21st century. Need to focus more on employee retention and work-life balance. CEO should stop using the company as his own personal ATM.

5. My experience has been fun and a learning experience.

Current Employee - Wireless Consultant in Chino Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Wireless Consultant in Chino Hills, CA

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Personal growth and sales experience.

Cons

I would just say if anything the area we had to work with.

Advice to Management

N/a

Terrible, Greedy Company. The Polar Opposite of Costco.

Former Employee - Kiosk Manager
    Former Employee - Kiosk Manager

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- If you are in a high-traffic store (which I was fortunate enough to be in), you CAN make pretty good money (will touch on this later).
    - You can make many connections OUTSIDE of Wireless Advocates employees
    - Costco employees and management are fun to work with
    - The store itself is an easy going atmosphere (will also touch on this later)

Cons

I worked there starting part time, and got promoted to full time, and then manager. This took place over the course of 5+ years.

Within the first year, I thought the work required was a bit steep for the commission payout, but hey, I made pretty good money considering I was in a high volume store. Then... Paycuts.

Year 2: Pay cuts.
    Year 3: Pay cuts.
    Year 4: Changed 401K plan from a quarterly match to a yearly match. I would assume this is because this company has over 70% turnover year-over-year, and they figure they can save a truckload of money by not doing a 401K match for those employees who burnt out and quit. THEN, at the end of the year they decide NOT TO PAY OUT THEIR PROMISED 401K MATCH. Why? I guess going over 100% to GPD budget as a company is not a good enough performance. Apparently they don't make enough money.

And no, I'm not kidding about the 70+ percent turnover every year. They say it themselves every year in a performance update email. That number is probably higher now.

Year 5: Started carrying iPhone (finally), and also started hitting heavy into financed equipment. Which lead to yet another pay cut disguised as an "opportunity" to make more money. Right. If I sold exactly what they wanted me to push, in the exact quantities they wanted me to, yes, I theoretically COULD make more money. But it's a very poor, greedy, and insulting tactic.

Let me remind you that Costco is a company that wants to unbiasedly inform the members of EXACTLY what they are buying. Let me also remind you that Wireless Advocates is NOT Costco. Upper management has become so overwhelmingly aggressive on pushing financed equipment, that they have developed misleading strategies to lead customers into a personal loan, whether it is or isn't the best option for them. My point isn't that financed devices are bad (they are not for everyone). My point is that this company wants to push employees to the brink to get the most profitable sales out of them.

They don't care about service. I took pride in my service, and I had returning customers for years. I never got an award for that. No bonus for being a quality employee. And I'm not asking for one. But how about a little respect? I was in one of the few stores where Costco upper management respected my team and I because we ran a tight ship, and we understood the Costco business model. In comparison, I received many, MANY, complaints over the years from customers that visited other stores and dealt with their shady, pushy, & disrespectful sales crew. Guess what, they got away with it as long as the numbers were satisfactory!

There are three things Wireless Advocates cares about:

1- Numbers
    2- Numbers
    3- Numbers

Do you know what the most frustrating thing about this whole operation is? The kiosk is housed in Costco. Yes, Costco. The same company that fights for employee rights and fair wages. The same company that LITERALLY provides the best healthcare benefits in all of retail. The same company that has guaranteed raises, and multiple, multiple opportunities to be promoted within the system. As bad as Wireless Advocates is, shame on Costco for allowing this company to sink to this level. I am appalled. I think Costco contracts work with Wireless Advocates because they don't want to get their hands dirty in the very controversial business that is the mobile phone market.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter, they never listened. If I felt bullied by my boss and complained to his boss, they would just smooth it over until everyone calmed down. The next month rolls around, and guess what? Nobody is doing their job well enough, and welcome to the same blame game.

Let me try to wrap my head around upper managements strategies for a second:
    Have a bad month? Let's RAISE your budget next month. What's that, you lost an employee that couldn't take the terrible work life balance? Let's shift your ONLY REMAINING EMPLOYEES to another store! Because that makes sense! What's that, your printer is down and can't be repaired for a week? Let's keep the budget THE SAME! It's not our fault you can't do your job, GO CALL THE PRINTER TECHNICIAN!

The ONLY way Costco could provide a better customer experience in-store is to terminate the contract with Wireless Advocates, rip down that pathetic kiosk, and run the show themselves.

What a joke.

7. Decent, but draining.

Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in Westbury, NY
    Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in Westbury, NY

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The bonus structure was decent back in 2009, not sure now. Improve communication skills.

Cons

Costco customers are insanely cheap. Long hours for insufficient pay.

Advice to Management

Stop firing district managers every three weeks.

8. Disappointed with the Recruiter for the explanation of benefits of the company.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The managers seem to have turned things around and I was impressed in meeting with them. The company paid for my parking at the headquarters. The people I met with were very respectful. There were two rounds of interviews and both were professional and fair.

Cons

The benefits package is not comprehensive and up to par as compared to other companies. I wish the company would have taken stronger consideration since I have a good number of years of industry experience for the hourly rate they were offering. The salary was not the main reason I declined the offer letter.

Advice to Management

In your offer letters to candidates you have to do a much better job in providing more detail about the benefits so candidates can make a more informed decision whether to accept the position.

9. Middle management is full of empty promises and doesn't know what they are doing!

Former Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good way to get your foot into Telecommunications. Pretty decent commission on good months. And you have the ability to get vacation time fast.

Cons

Outrageous sales goals for the amount of traffic that was actually in the store. All of the customers thought that we were Costco workers so that's all that they would ask about. Middle management doesn't know what their doing. And they don't even have decent training its all "you learn it on the job" but that doesn't work for some people.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate the workers that go above and beyond for you guys! And take more time to study the traffic in Alaska compared to the traffic down south so that you don't have such a high turn over rate!

10. Experienced Candidates need not apply, this is for first job ever employees

Former Employee - District Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

location in Belltown
    access to metro
    great restaurants

Cons

struggling leadership
    lack of transformational leadership
    lack of plan toward execution
    doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome

Advice to Management

hire new leadership at many levels who are up to the job
    coaching is not possible due to disorganized pace of work
    too many meetings, not enough work
    IT is very behind
    add structure, incentives and follow through with consequences to missing deadlines/ goals
    have the guts to pull the trigger to make changes
    fire underachievers
    hire strong leaders to take the business to the next levels
    interim president [Car Toys CEO] is oblivious of transformational leadership

HQ Manager -- Company focused on the bottom line and only short term goal

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company environment - I like that. I got to work on a lot of cross-department projects. Leadership doesn't make any investments into the company (systems, employee programs, etc)

Cons

Work like balance was poor and compensation was below pare. Leadership doesn't make any investments into the company (systems, employee programs, etc) and breeds a toxic culture. Owner and Sr Exec also owns Car Toys. Seems like Wireless Advocates is his person ATM.

Advice to Management

Treat Wireless Advocates like a sustainable company and build a long term strategy. Invest in the talent you have and in company systems and programs. Stop hiring talented managers & leaders and then ignoring their ideas and strategies.

Wireless Advocates Photos