Wireless Advocates

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
2.5

Carol Criner

Pros
  • Great pricing and being inside Costco beats the competition (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay if you know how to sell, good benefits for full timers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Just whatever upper management wants to place them at (in 14 reviews)

• Most people work very long hours and have bad work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Kiosk manager

Current Employee - Kiosk Manager
    Current Employee - Kiosk Manager

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay not great.
    Member base is great because of costco.
    Nothing else good to say but I need 20 words minimum.

Cons

Work/personal life balance is terrible.
    Manager not only has to sell majority of the phones but do the paperwork, recruit.. etc etc.
    Often obligated to go recruit off the clock and no help is provided from upper management.
    Very backwards company on how they operate. From training to sales model to everything.
    Stupid kiosk binder is worthless and waste of time and paper.
    NO INCENTIVE given to tenured employees to stay.
    Company doesn't focus on field level employees that do the hard work at all.
    I can go on and on but I will rest my case. I think the only reason this company is in business is because they are inside of costco. Without costco, wireless advocates won't be around for long.

Go out and look at other companies to see how they run their business. Start caring about your tenured employees so you won't have such high turnover. Stop lowering commissions every chance you get.

Unsatisfied to the extreme.

Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Wireless Advocates part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working inside Costco usually offers exposure to great people and a great environment. Decent commissions IF you are at a good location.

Cons

Unforgiving if you have a bad month. Not very flexible if you get saddled with hours that have weak traffic flow. Also, I disclosed I have learning disabilities at my time of hire. The manager, who left within a few weeks, never passed this to upper management and the new manager completely ignored this information and wrote me up despite my requests for farther training.

District Manager Terrible stay away

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much. If you can bonus it is decent.

Cons

Outdated management & coaching model. Extreme micro management. Always whats wrong not whats right. Zero work life ballance. No control over budgets and no rhyme or reason to how they are made. They operate without a long term strategy and try and fix things as they go. Ask a ton of kiosk level employees with low pay.

Get a president. Change the way we recruit an pay our field teams and thank them for what they do. The entire way we operate needs a new look.

I learned valuable skills here but the company is going downhill fast.

Former Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - WIRELESS SALES EXPERT in Portland, OR

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time

Pros

Dealer Lines are nice
    OK Commission Structure
    Costco has some good members
    It could have been worse
    I'm trying to reach the 20 word minimum

Cons

Commission Structure changes often and for the worse.
    Extremely poor work life balance.
    Micro Managers.
    Poor selection(no iPhone)
    NO LOYALTY to longtime employees
    Abysmal Infrastructure(Citrix went down constantly)
    Archaic sales tracking
    Reversed commissons for lousy reasons
    POOR communication
    Crummy insurance

Communicate not only the changes you make but why. Offer raises and more job security to tenured employees. Carry iPhone. Lead by example not by trying to instill fear.

Former Kiosk Manager

Former Employee - Kiosk Manager (Sales Manager) in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Kiosk Manager (Sales Manager) in Portland, OR

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great place for young kids to get their start in the wireless industry, as once you leave this company, you will have the knowledge of at least three carriers and a TV service.
    The products offered are slim, but competitive so we had what we needed to sell.
    Benefits start for employees at 30 hours (32 in some states), and Wireless Sales experts have decent bonus structures.
    Paid time off is granted at the beginning of every year for full time employees.
    Sales skills learned can cross over to less consumer oriented sales.
    If you have a good District Manager, you can develop a great work relationship that can help you move up.
    Company supports their employees in doing the right thing, as does Costco. This is a fairly good working relationship.
    Great springboard to bigger and better things.
    Met a lot of great people.
    Relaxed environment (depending on who you work for)
    Costco built in market/traffic makes things easier.
    Costco has built much of the rapport with the customers already, and you are assumed to be a part of that rapport.

Cons

For Kiosk Managers, work balance is ever increasing with no increase in pay aside from yearly performance based increases which max out at $0.29/year.
    Company still pays Full and Part time employees slave wages to compete in a highly saturated market.
    Pay does not increase whatsoever for long term employees who show loyalty and/or great results.
    Depending on District, the culture cultivated can be rather complacent. People tend to stay here as a short term investment, or languish in complacency for years.
    District managers are responsible for distributing budgets, and budgets can be based on favortism rather than results.
    As stated above, if your DM does not like you, you may get a disproportionate amount of the Districts budget which is inequivalent to the trends and capacity of your store.
    Company does not always understand that retail cycles ebb and flow not just seasonally, but also perenially. Just because last year was great, does not mean every year after that MUST be.
    Does not factor into budgets anything but past results and rolling average. Door counts are seen as tertiary concerns, and stores with low door counts often get disproportionately high budgets because of short term success.
    Turnover is far too high, even for the retail world.
    Company has posted 75% turnover rates in the past.

Look into increases in cost of living wages for long term employees who show exemplary results.
    Increase pay for Dish reps if you are going to expect the impossible out of them, you cannot hire quality employees who work at slave wages.
    Hire a CEO who has time to run the company instead of letting the owner (Dan Brettler) run the company into the ground because he has insufficient time to handle the business.
    Don't cut hours for training employees just to save a buck, your results stink when your employees are untrained baffoons.
    PROPERLY train KMs so they know how to train their employees if you are going to stick with limited to nil training hours for new reps.
    PROPERLY train DMs to be active in their districts and send them on sales seminars so when they do need to take over a kiosk for a short period of time, they don't look like incompetent.

Good place to start

Former Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in Austin, TX

I worked at Wireless Advocates part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is OK.
    Easy job to do; repetitive but consistent.
    Lots of flexibility.
    Great working environment.

Cons

The tools for you to get your job done are old and sometimes do not work as needed.
    You have no control on the phones available.
    Little room for climbing up in the professional ladder.
    No control. You gotta do what you gotta do, in order to get things done!
    Somewhat unrealistic goals.
    Poor and small selection of devices.

Get in touch with the sales people on the floor and find out from the people who experience it...how can we get better at what we do?... There seems to be two different worlds out there.

No complaints

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Wireless Advocates

Pros

Great manager & district manager. Gain a lot of knowledge and relaxed work environment.

Cons

Nothing really at the moment

Pay hard workers more than minimum wage.

WSE

Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - WSE Wireless Sales Expert in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Wireless Advocates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent money
    flexable hours
    easy going
    commision based
    bonus'

Cons

low hourly
    quotas
    not career worthy
    hard depending on locaton

Amatuers

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No pros, see cons for more details.

Cons

Pay and benefits are very poor. False promises made about compensation structure. Communication is poor. Etc, etc.....

Ensure corporate calls have more structure and are prepared. Make sure all senior management when placed is fully trained and selected properly. Increase compensation. Work on retention. Survey for engagement.

Antiquated and Backwards

I worked at Wireless Advocates full-time

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here. This place is not leading edge, what passes for a database is a clunky monster of fake pivots that hasn't been serviced since 2003. Work here if you want to regress to using software from the previous decade. There are no financial statements from the unit level so it is very hard to derive how the company actually makes money. Every month you will receive a mixed message "Things are great, moving towards growth, followed by cut the budgets by 10% and travel is restricted. In short a specialty retailer that is actually on the short bus to doom rather than on the internet super hghway to prosperity.

Cons

Antiquated software
    No reporting systems
    Dis-engaged leadership
    Duplicitous double speaking pyscho-bable

Look at the big picture
    Stop dwelling on the minutia
    Get a professionally built data warehouse

Wireless Advocates Photos