Wireless Generation, Inc.

www.wirelessgeneration.com

Wireless Generation, Inc. Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014
Wireless Generation, Inc. – Brooklyn – “View from office deck”

Wireless Generation, Inc. CEO & Co-Founder Larry Berger

Larry Berger

People are Passionate about education here

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsAs a father, feels great knowing that my code is helping classrooms around the country. Cool people, growing company, awesome view of the Brooklyn Bridge from the office.

ConsThey can't keep up with the growth. Everyone in the company is busy working.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people

Wireless Generation is a great company need to pay employees what there worth

ProsBenefits, People, great locations good pay if you are in a certain Dept.

ConsHard to advance, bad pay for good positions.

An overall awesome experience

QA Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsAwesome Location. Really amazing people, some of the brightest I've ever worked with. I learned so much there it's unimaginable. WGEN treats their employees incredibly well and the atmosphere and energy is very positive and productive. Wireless will bring out the absolute best developer in you because they give you all the tools and incentives you need to make it as easy as possible at writing the most elegant, beautiful code you can. You build cutting-edge technology USING cutting-edge technologies and all of your coworkers are geniuses to boot. Not to mention the location (Dumbo) is UNBELIEVABLE nicer than Tribeca and has a ton of amazing shops, restaurants, and bars. Overall an incredible company to work for.

ConsThe culture is a bit stagnant, or "corporate", at times, but that's expected in a company of that size and it's certainly not like that ALL the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture is not something that can be taught in a presentation. Give your employees an awesome work environment and the culture will manifest itself.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are going to work in the HR department do your homework on who is in charge before accepting an offer.

Human Resources (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThe company is doing great things with bringing technology and education together.

ConsThis was the worst micro management and hostile treatment I have ever experienced. Has a very bad reputation in the local market for high turnover in HR/Recruiting.

Advice to Senior ManagementC level executives need to investigate on what the real reason is for everyone leaving.

Was with company for a long time... until one person didn't want me on the team... so I was out

Various (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsPleasant surroundings and co-workers. Nice place to go to work.

ConsYoung company, young management. Has little to no tolerance for middle aged employees.
    Too many unqualified/untrained "chiefs"

Solid, but waning dev shop

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThere is a solid developer community at Wireless. Enjoy the feel-good nature of building the next generation of educational software.

ConsThe NewsCorp acquisition is diminishing company values and culture.

This is a great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThe culture is that of a smaller company

ConsLet me thing about this

Great company if you don't work in HR

Human Resources/Recruiting (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsA company with a great mission to promote better K-12 education in the US. You get to work with talented and intelligent people (for the most part) who truly care. Good neighborhood. Overall the atmosphere in the office is friendly and cordial - of course there are the terrible people too.

ConsHR is a mess, it continues to bleed recruiters and no one in upper management (not HR upper management - upper, upper management) seems to notice/care about the situation. It's a difficult work environment for HR employees and most HR people quit without even having a new job lined up. People have been promoted to the point of being incompetent (and horrific to deal with). Tons of redundancies that waste time from being productive - we are forced to report on the same metrics over and over again on an ongoing basis. HR is held to a different standard than the rest of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at what's going on in HR - without (non-miserable) recruiters you can't grow the company.

Workplace of the future

Literacy Writer (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a wide open space, mellow atmosphere, monthly meetings that acknowledge new faces. There are many product managers, and lots of things going on simaltaneously. One problem is that each division is often in the dark about what's going on across the company. What's nice is that all employees can feel free to meet and greet Larry Berger, who is a really nice person.

ConsIf you are a geek, you've got it made here. The other jobs in writing, education, and curriculum planning are not as wonderful. They are often contract jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the curriculum writers. Treat them as part of the overall team. Give them a feeling of ownership.

My work at Wireless Generation, helping to better education system is important and fullfilling.

Designer (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsBeing part of a company that cares and put everything they've got to better education in this country is a great experience.

After a long day, or a long week of work, I can look back and think of teachers I helped to be better teachers, and the students they have prepared for life, it is rewarding.

Working with a group of smart, dedicated, and passionate people at this company continues to inspire me to learn and be on top of my game.

ConsThere are few challenges here and there, but mostly growing pains.

Worked for Wireless Generation, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!