Wirtz Beverage Group

Updated December 2, 2014
2.8

Rockwell Wirtz

Sales and opperations

I have been working at Wirtz Beverage Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing family to work for. The organization is working hard to create a great culture. Fun environment representing the worlds best known Wine, Spirits and craft beers. The family also owns The Chicago Blackhawks, part of United Center, Insurance, Banks, Media and Realty companies. Great to be part of a family own and family run organization.

Cons

Retirement benefits are not competative.

Wirtz Salespeople, Why are you making less than you/we did in 1996?

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Wirtz Beverage Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid company with good basis values and work ethics. Hard working Salespeople, Merchandisers, Office and Customer Service Staff. Great opportunities for a new Salesperson to learn skills that cannot be taken away.

Cons

Middle management is allowed too much freedom to harass and threaten Professional Sales People.
    The largest share of the pie has shifted away from those who are required to make all of the quotas.
    Once upon a time, the Salesperson could earn a wage that was above average for many industries.
    Suddenly, annual income of 40K is ok? That is what Beverage Salespeople were making in the 80s
    and 90s with a lot less stress. The Industry should be easier now as the cost of goods has risen 100%+ since then.

The Preplan for a professional comes as second nature and does not need to be micromanaged or turned into
    busy work that results in a lack of energy and or productivity. Put simply, forced t choose between utilizing limited amounts of time to sell or, to do paperwork, which would a competent individual prioritize as most important?

Mr. Wirtz should understand that his people are hard workers that will only accept a finite amount of negative feedback before they move into a mode of only doing what is necessary. That is a lose lose formula for all concerned.

Will Rocky Wirtz ever see the negative reports posted on sites like this?

It was a great launch platform for my professional career

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Cicero, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Cicero, IL

I worked at Wirtz Beverage Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I liked the ability to run my own territory

Cons

Some of the busy work was frustrating

Recognize hard word

Ownership is awesome, regional management is not.

I worked at Wirtz Beverage Group full-time

Pros

Co workers, and suppliers drive the business.

Cons

Regional management unwilling to to follow ownerships directives. Do as I say and not as I do mentality. Local management living of the corporate name.

Transparency is a good place to start. Get on board with ownership and good things will happen.

two years at wirtz

I worked at Wirtz Beverage Group

Pros

great connections and overall company vision

Cons

promotions were hard to come by because favorites were played

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Wirtz Beverage Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Money,Money,Money. 401k, Insurance, Bonuses, Pension

Cons

Micro managing.Work Life Balance, Don't listen to employees.

Worst decision of my life

Former Employee - Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Merchandiser

I worked at Wirtz Beverage Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed working with most salesmen and the accounts I serviced. Benefits were good

Cons

Right from the hiring process nobody seemed to know what they were doing. Had to resubmit application and paperwork a few times. Not very good communication on daily basis!!!! Insurance paperwork was lost and had to wait a few months to finally get insurance. After accepting position they wanted me to quit a Managerial position i had held for over 20 years without giving notice. Very unprofessional! Told countless times what a great job I was doing and a day before my probation period was up they let me go. No other reason other than my probation period allows them to do so. Some salesmen trying to make a name for themselves and move ahead shift blame to you and throw you under the bus. Seems like they are cutting costs anyway possible after letting go someone who had been with them for over 20 years and not able to find him another position with the company.

If an associate isn't working up to expectations of WIRTZ BEVERAGE you should let them know of what they aren't doing or need to work on. Alot of us depend on these jobs to live and when you just let someone go without reason other than "because we can" it isn't good enough. Especially when the accounts sing praises of your work. It's ridiculous at how much "the suits" think they know but in reality they don't have a clue as to what the little people that are out doing the grunt work actually do and how well they do it. Get out in the field and listen to what the sales people are saying and merchandisers. Most of it is not good I can tell you that much.

We were what was up and coming, on top of the industry, to be turned into a experiment that proved failure!

Former Employee - Delivery in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Delivery in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Wirtz Beverage Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You couldn't find a more hard working dedicated group of fellow employees that didn't just show up to work to cash that check at the end of the week. But to be proud of the product(s) that we all got to introduce, promote, and eventually rise to the top or go down swinging weather we personally cared for it ourselves or not. Dedication at its finest.

Cons

Mismanaged employees, customer praises or complaints,(Customers in general), an overall nihilists of commonsense or decency to a job well done.

Most of all the people and positions that were eliminated in the pursuit of maximizing year end profits, will be the overall failure of the company itself, in a market that they were already clinching in customer service and relations. Basically to the very fall of there main product that sold its very self to ruining a brand thats very name is known and recognized worldwide. Im sorry guys but somehow you have received the intolerable D- when it was a open book test.

Worst place to work

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Cicero, IL
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Cicero, IL

I worked at Wirtz Beverage Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing about this place was that you got paid weekly and you get to try new samples of beverages.

Cons

You don't get any car or cell phone allowance. Pretty much all the money you make goes back into expenses. The warehouse never get the orders picked in time. So you sometimes have to wait around for hours before you can take out the order. At the sales meetings, all the bosses do are complain that sales aren't high enough no matter how you do.

Start rewarding employees that work hard and give allowances since employees use their own phone and car.

Let Down

I worked at Wirtz Beverage Group

Pros

Good company when I started in 2004

Cons

Did not allow my 5 point veterans preference when being considered for a promotion.

Don't say you support veterans when you ignore the law.