WiseTech Global

Updated December 8, 2014
4.1

WiseTech Global CEO Richard White
Richard White

CargoWise is a fun place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at WiseTech Global

Pros

The CargoWise Chicago office (which is located in Schaumburg) has an extremely friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Everyone gets along well and we are like an extended family here. I've made some great friends while working here including some good friends in our Australian and UK offices. Our benefits package is fantastic! I've compared with some friends and it really does beat most of their plans as far as medical, dental and 401K are concerned. We have fresh fruit delivered each week which makes for great breakfasts plus things like donuts and coffee cakes are brought in for us from time to time. We have Chicken and Cake day once a month, as well as Beer O Clock with Wings every Friday. This truly has been the best company I've worked for!

Cons

Most management is based in our Sydney office which can cause occasional communication issues. This varies depending on which team you are working with.

Work on improving communication between some of the upper management and the people reporting to them would be the best advice I could give. Also, bonuses would be an amazing way to increase morale at the office.

Plateau

I worked at WiseTech Global full-time

Pros

Free food, beer, occasional trips to customers. Loose atmosphere. Good if you are a developer or sales, bad if you are not. Programmers welcome as long as you have the same ideas as the CEO.

Cons

Poor management. No path for personal growth. Not being a developer limits how far you can go in the company.

Listen to customers and qualified employees, hire experienced people who did real work in the freight forwarding industry, not office managers, people who answered phones, or people from other industries that have no relation to freight forwarding or customers. Your way is not the always the right way. Accept faults and weakness to make things better instead of ignoring them and sweeping them under the rug.

Autocratic, stifling and demoralising

I worked at WiseTech Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The founder and CEO is great at painting the positive picture and laying out where he wants the business to go. Yes, there is food available, yes, there is beer o'clock every Friday, so drink and eat - it's one of the few merry times in this workplace.
    There are plenty of staff from many differing backgrounds so there will be support from like minded people there to help you into the business and once you are there.
    If you are a shareholder, you will benefit as EVERY decision is related to the impending IPO.
    If you are a customer, you have a great product; learn how to get the most out of what you are paying for now, because in the absence of any real competition, your fees are going to keep going up.

Cons

The founder and CEO controls everything to the point your work will not proceed without his approval, which is ironic as he wants a scalable business and a flat hierarchy!
    If you have an opposing opinion, you risk being ostracised and reduce your chance at any career progression, so you have long term employees who have become "yes men" and seem to lack the confidence to challenge the thinking and create something they truly believe in.
    Statements are frequently made about "immediate changes" in the business without prior notification to those that the changes effect, and without the required structures to support those changes in place, resulting in a demoralising and debilitating work culture where you can be unsure about your role.
    Their is a strong focus on keeping the brand in a very positive light (formerly CargoWise -look it up) due to a proposed and imminent listing (IPO) of WiseTech on the Aust Stock Exchange.
    If you are considering a customer facing role, be VERY aware that customers are not happy with changes in the prices and license behaviour.

Practice what you preach! - allow your people to be outcome focussed, let them make mistakes without fear of reprisal and let them proposer, because without these principals in operation, your company Credo is a meaningless.

The kind of company you read about

Current Employee - Senior Developer/Product Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Developer/Product Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at WiseTech Global full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at WiseTech Global for more than 10 years. It's the kind of company you only hear about in books and stories.
    The culture, freedom, energy, intelligence and innovation of virtually everyone in the company is immediately captivating when you enter the building.

I am given the freedom to decide what I believe adds value to the company (within reason). I have direct access to the CEO and Founder (as does everyone else) and have regular technical and innovative discussions with him, and with many other people.

The culture is amazing - fitness consultations, free breakfast, fruit etc - flexibility in terms of your hours - all of this just results in a company that you feel home at and don't want to leave.

Never will you find a company that actually LIVES what it says. Not just empty promises and words on a website. We truly live what we say. We enjoy it. We are passionate. 'Changing the world' is not just a statement - it is what we strive to do every day.

Cons

As you become more senior, the expectations on you obviously increase - however I think this is realistic and expected, rather than a 'Con'. There are times when frustration increases because of the very open plan office and constant communication - but again, this also results in a highly open culture - so again, not a 'Con'.

Keep doing what you are doing. Reward your best people, focus on innovation. Don't change!

A growing company with a bright future

Current Employee - I T Professional in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - I T Professional in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at WiseTech Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

WiseTech Global is an organization that has had a very high growth rate for several years and it looks likely to improve its growth rate in the future.

One thing that I particularly enjoy about working at Wise Tech is that it is a large company in terms of resources but has preserved some elements that make a small company dynamic. That is advantageous if you dislike corporate bureaucracy and like to get things done but it will be a challenge for the company to maintain this advantage as it grows further.

For those technical it offers the chance to gain allot of experience fast. This is particularly true for young software developers who are surrounded by extremely talented colleagues. For those in non-development roles the company offers an environment in which processes are constantly refined to work smarter. If you enjoy change and challenges then WiseTech Global will suit you.

Perks to your working day:
    • Sports teams at lunchtimes (Soccer, Basketball)
    • Company hosts gym classes at lunchtimes (Yoga, Fitball, Stretch, Get Lean!, Core Strength, 20 minute AB Tone, Pilates & Toned Arms Buns & Thighs)
    • Weekly beer O'Clock
    • Monthly cake day
    • Other Events (Melbourne Cup Party, Well funded festive Party)

Compensation:
    I believe that the compensation rates are competitive across job roles. In my experience it takes a while to prove your worth at Wise Tech Global so those expecting to work at the company for a short period of time to further their career may find their time spent here unsuccessful. I believe this is due to the nature and history of WiseTech Global which is that of shareholders who are also employees driving the business forward.

Cons

Some managers are not living by the Company Credo in their management of staff. A stronger emphasis on ensuring people are gaining experience, skills and are happy in their role is missing in a few teams.

There was a major bottleneck on getting things done in the past with a few key people being required to get projects moving however work on the process management has reduced this blockage greatly

A greater emphasis on the responsibility of those who have persons reporting to them to manage according to the Company Credo

Continue to reward hard work with creative freedom but try to expand and empower a larger section of the staff

Clearer communication about the direction and value of projects so that even those not directly involved can understand the company's focus and vision.

Great place to work - I'm always learning and love how productive we are

I have been working at WiseTech Global full-time

Pros

The open culture is great - I'm not restricted from talking to others in the business about problems I see, even if those issues aren't directly related to my area. I learn a lot about our business this way and help to solve real issues.
    The perks are very good - breakfast, Friday drinks & food, fitness classes and educational assistance for postgrad studies (including leave for study). We're also encouraged to use postgrad studies to improve the business, generally working with the CEO.
    The most rewarding thing is the amount of work we get through at the level of quality we do it with. The volume of work and change is very challenging, but very rewarding.

Cons

There are pockets of negativity around the company about various changes (past and present) - we can do better at bringing people with us on changes in the business.
    Many people also complain about the CEO being a bottleneck. I rarely find this to be an issue.The company has invested in training courses to help managers overcome these kinds of problems and clarify their concerns, so action is already being taken here.

'Management' can always continue to communicate more often and more openly - the monthly birthday gathering is improving a lot in that regard, so that's good to see. Keep it up!
    Seeing more public recognition of project successes (with customer stories) and people 'going beyond the call of duty' would be nice too.

A great opportunity.

Current Employee - Associate Developer in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Associate Developer in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at WiseTech Global full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- The work environment and atmosphere.
    Very genial, with a flat organisational structure that encourages everyone to help each other out.

- Support from peers.
    Despite all your difficulties, you can count on those around you to perk you up, or help you out if they've the time.

- Extremely experienced supervisors and employees
    There are some programming wizards within the company, and it's always an enriching experience to tap into their vast expertise.

Cons

- The learning curve.
    Getting used to the large proprietary code base is quite the challenge.

- More formalised tuition or instruction for new comers.

But that's really nit-picking. My introduction was really better than I could have expected, and the pros really do outweigh the cons.

Working at WiseTech

I have been working at WiseTech Global (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at WiseTech has been challenging, especially not having an IT background. None the less it has been enjoyable, the people here are friendly and I have made some life long friends. The perks of cake day and celebrating events such as Melbourne cup, also create a unified and pleasant culture. Every day is different and you are faced with new challenges, although times may get frustrating, there is always someone around willing to help. No workplace is absolutely perfect right??

Cons

Higher management decision making process may take longer then expected. (Try and get in as early as you can)

Communication is key!

A great company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at WiseTech Global full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Here I finally found what I was looking for. In my team people are really highly skilled and everybody is really kind. The focus is to continuously achieve results and improve what is already in place. The company has plenty of benefits but the most important I found here is the freedom to express my way of working. What matters in this company is the result.
    Another great thing about WiseTech Global is the diverse culture mix we have, its an important element that helps to build an environment where all the people can compare their own culture to the other ones which is one of the easiest ways to improve yourself.
    Before working here, I don't remember the last time I woke up in the morning feeling excited to go to work.

Cons

Hard to find something wrong in this company.

Hard to compare...like no other company I have worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at WiseTech Global full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its strange to describe an organisation where anything is possible. Rarely do you find a company where you are limited only by your own boundaries and encouraged to expand your mind to benefit not only the company but yourself.

No Hierarchy and the open door policy absolute. Richard White is an inspirational leader who makes time to listen and share ideas. The culture is unique and hard to define; however low staff turnover is result of a positive culture.

The H/O in Alexandria is a great place to work and currently under renovation. The office has everything you need from a gym, showers, personal grooming products to food - inc breakfast daily & fresh fruit and well catered social events.

Cons

No company is perfect as is no individual . My personal experience so far has only been positive.