Wiser (Tennessee)

Updated September 22, 2014
Updated September 22, 2014
2.3

CEO

Company that cares about you

Current Employee - Geospatial/Imagery Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Geospatial/Imagery Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wiser is a company that believes in growing from within. Communication is open and honest and the company cares about the individual employees.

Cons

Who doesn't want more/better benefits? I think this goes for every company-especially in this economy.

Continue to be open and honest about job security during this uncertain economy.

Good for short term

I worked at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was great to get into the door, and the medical insurance wasn't bad.

Cons

Seemed under appreciated and easily discarded

I would never recommend this company to any GIS Professional. Very very poor outlook for the future.

I have been working at Wiser (Tennessee)

Pros

Benefits are fair but this does not make up for the fact that their management is enept and uncaring.

Cons

I have worked for Wiser for over six years and am seeking new employment with a company that is more stable and professional. Management has no clue how to manage deadlines and therefore constantly asks employees to work unreasonable amounts of overtime and tells them "They are expendable and will be replaced if they can't do the work." This has resulted in shoddy work being done by overworked employees, which in turn has resulted in the contracts they do receive, being very menial digitizing tasks. In addition, they make their employees, people with Master's Degrees, mop floors, vacuum floors, take out the trash for the entire building, on a daily basis. Very very unprofessional atmosphere.

Treat your employees with respect.

Poor management, below average pay, no chance for advancement, and no continued education.

I have been working at Wiser (Tennessee)

Pros

Benefits are fair but the future outlook for this company is very very grim.

Cons

I have worked at Wiser in Murfreesboro for over six years and am seeking a position with a more professional company that actually values their employees. Wiser has burned so many bridges and done such shoddy work that the only contracts they are able to secure now are simple digitizing projects. No actual spatial analysis is done in this company. Managers inquire as to when your project will be done every 3-4 hours daily. They actually require all GIS Analysts to take out the trash in the entire building, mop floors, and do other menial cleaning duties EVERY DAY....!!!!!. They ask their Analysts to work unreasonable amounts of overtime frequently and threaten to fire them if they do not. Most unprofessional company I have ever worked for.

Treat your employees with respect and courtesy.

BIG CHANGES HAVE HAPPENED- A much better place than before

Current Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The management team now listens to analyst. A cooperative/ team environment has been created. I am happy with my experience and pay here at Wiser. The past was mucked up by completely inept managers that were motivated by their own success. Now the team is focused on success as a whole. Fostering an environment where all can grow and succeed seems to be a priority now. Wiser is a great place NOW- NOT so much a year ago.

Cons

In this business there are waves of work encountered by all.

Keep up what you are doing.

Inability to manage a workload and keep contracts coming in

Former Employee - GIS Technician in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - GIS Technician in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I do not honestly have any real pros. They bought us some lunches every once in a blue moon?

Cons

They are not very capable at keeping a constant workflow of contracts in for GIS and more or less use college graduates and lure them in and then dispose of them when they don't have work for a little while. Their business model is to get likely the a medium bid price and leverage a fast turn around time by creating a culture expecting you to work 50+ hour weeks.

Understand your employees would enjoy having a life, enjoy getting paid somewhere close to the median income of entry level GIS and feel work on the feeling they have of being disposable. When I was there everyone used their breaks to search for their next job on the unclassified computers. From what I understand from people there instead of working on that they just banned job search sites.

Worst Professional Experience In My Life

I worked at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great production staff, Decent benefits

Cons

Terrible Terrible Management, totally out of touch!!!!
    Management walks around like the company is solid and growing, when really things are not going well. Not at all a family oriented place! Not at all financially sound! Massive layoffs are the norm. Terrible planning, very poor management who treats employees very poorly. I would stay far far away from this company!!!!!! All the good people have come and gone...wonder why???

Manage, empower and care about the employees. Make sound financial decisions! Communicate with the employees. Manage a business

A foot in the door, but that's it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time

Pros

Wiser provides a great start for entry-level employees with Master's degrees, but that's it. The health insurance is pretty decent, but the dental insurance isn't the greatest.

Cons

There are good people left there, but they have all been taken from management roles. The new management cares only about building their own resumes. If you come to Wiser and only care about yourself, you will fit in fine. If you believe in treating others with respect and kindness, you will be pummeled into the ground. There have been two major rounds of layoffs with 33% of the workforce in 2011 and then another 50% in 2013. The pay leaves a lot to be desired and they will spring mandatory overtime on you on a moment's notice. If you have a family or expect to settle down, Wiser is not the place for you.

Micromanaging is not the most effective technique to get maximum performance from your employees.

Great for entry level in a bad economy.

I worked at Wiser (Tennessee) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-They offered a job during a bad economy
    -Provided a secret-level clearance
    -Gain experience

Cons

-TERRIBLE management.
    -Terrible planning, it's either feast or famine. This isn't uncommon for the industry, but most companies plan for it - Wiser does not.
    -Repetitive, boring work.
    -Information is not shared
    -Employee morale is really low.

Work on treating your employees like assets and you might keep some of them. Plan your finances responsibly and you'll be surprised where it can get you. STOP advertising yourself as a 'family oriented' company when you are not.

Great entry level job, that's about it.

Current Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Wiser (Tennessee)

Pros

Friendly work environment, lots of people hired out of college, I made a lot of friends there.
    Very flexible schedule.
    Great benefits (if you're single)

Cons

Very low paid compared to similar positions with other defense companies.
    Management flip-flops on big ideas on a daily basis.
    Terrible communication with employees.
    Management boasts about its open door policy then punishes those who use it.
    Acts as though every thing with the company is on the up-and-up until they suddenly lay-off 1/3 of their employees.
    Absolutely no incentive to do anything other than just meet your deadlines, but they will try to push you, and if you still meet your deadline but didn't excel you will be spoken with about how you need to work harder.

Treat your employees with respect, and either actually allow the open-door policy to do what it is supposed to, or remove it entirely.