Wishabi Reviews

Updated June 11, 2014
Updated June 11, 2014

4.2

Wehuns Tan

Culture drives the success of Wishabi

I have been working at Wishabi full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Executives are accessible, visible and have a contagious passion
    2. Wishabi is on a high growth trajectory and is leading the retail technology industry
    3. Culture is focused on growth of myself and others - I love to mentor, coach, learn and contribute
    4. Family-like atmosphere is genuine and comfortable
    5. Great effort and achievement is recognized across the company

Cons

1. Dynamic industry and environment - you need to be adaptable and on top of the changing retail landscape. This is actually one of the aspects I enjoy most about my job, but it's not for everyone

Exec team is visible and accountable - keep it up. You are a key part of fostering the great culture here and as Wishabi grows, don't lose touch with employees.

SW Developer

Current Employee - SW Developer  in  Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - SW Developer in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Wishabi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic environment to work. The team has been very helpful and fun to work with. Always get challenged and work on new technology. Never a doubt moment.

Cons

Sometimes the tight deadline and the chaos could be a bit much. Since the company has grown a lot, our personal space could be limited. Fortunately, the company recognizes that and we are getting more space.

Keep up the good work. Be fair and be upfront.

I don't have a huge amount of experience, but this company is the best I've worked for

Current Employee - Project Lead  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Wishabi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Personal Growth:
    The entire Wishabi team, from my initial coach right up to the exec. team and the CEO, is interested in the growth of both the company and individual team members. The culture of the company is amazing. Notwithstanding the foosball & ping pong tables, the PS4, the company lunches each Friday, and the fully stocked snack bar, it's really the people that make this an amazing place to work. I know our recruiters work extremely hard to make sure each candidate is right for the job, and it shows. The Wishabi team is brought even closer together by semi-annual company trips (the bill of which is footed by Wishabi), weekly sports outings (basketball, volleyball and badminton! - plus in the summer we do tennis and soccer)

Structure:
    Wishabi promotes a flat structure and a meritocracy. This keeps everyone on the same page - you get what you put in. Vacation/Time off is structured really well also - giving high performers the option to take a longer leave. Work hard, play hard! Work-from-home is always an option if needed, for any number of reasons.

Since I started I've grown within the company in a few ways; a few months after I was hired, myself and another newbie were both selected to head up our department's efforts at launching a new product and we got to work with the CEO personally. I could tell from working with Wehuns that he expected effort and he expected results, and I think it's not anything more than he would expect from himself or another team member - to give it your best go, learn from your mistakes, and grow because of it.

Since I started at Wishabi, I got married, and I'm happy to say that many team members joined my wife & I at our wedding. It's the type of team that I want to have around and be around during and after work hours.

Cons

It's important at Wishabi to realize that the team is there to help you. It's sometimes easy to take on a mountain of responsibility all to yourself, and sometimes that means that you have to sacrifice some work/life balance. I had this issue for a while, until I changed my own attitudes on ownership and responsibility. There is always help available if needed. Speak up and you will be heard.

The coaching structure works - and while we all work hard I think it's important for coaches to make it known that the team is a great resource. Some of us came from extremely corporate environments, and it's unusual to have the work freedom to do *more* than you've been asked to do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Legit best workplace in Canada

Current Employee - Quality Control Analyst
    Current Employee - Quality Control Analyst

I have been working at Wishabi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love this company, I have worked for many other companies before and Wishabi is the best by far, no comparison. Its cool cause the people who run it (CEOs) really set the tone for everyone and the company. They strive to make it a fun place to work like Google, and HR only hires good people, so we never have any office drama here either. And they value people's opinions too so you feel like your apart of the big picture, people make suggestions to help and often we implement them. I started at this company thinking I was only going to stay temporarily but its so awesome here, I found a career, I have been here 3 years and I have gotten regular raises and I was able to move up the ladder to where I am now. And Wishabi just got the "Best Workplace in Canada in 2014" and "Best Workplace in Canada in the Camaraderie dimension in 2014" awards - honestly I think we would have won the best workplace in North America award if Google was not North American, haha. Honestly I feel sorry for people who dont work here, all my friends have crappy jobs and unfortunately their education does not align with the positions available here. Whenever they ask me how work is going, I start to brag a little, haha, and this is what I brag about to them normally:

- I can work from home whenever I feel like it
    - I can call into meetings - you don't need to physically show up for them most of the time
    - fun company trips we go on - complements of Wishabi
    - great people at work - great to hang out with too
    - the benefits (health, dental, free phone & plan, even stuff like homeopathic doctors and massages are covered)
    - can change positions if desired - just wanna try something new - and training will be provided! - growth is encouraged always
    - Never a dull moment at Wishabi - always changing, always got stuff to do, and you can take pride in your work, people recognize that you have done a good job
    - my regular raises & bonuses as I keep up the good work

I know, I know, it sounds too good to be true (thats what I thought before I got my 1st paycheck - it was fo rlz after that, haha), but if you get hired here and you work hard, you deserve this. The problem with most companies is they don't value the people, they just treat people like crap and then wonder why everyone quits, is so miserable and their company is not doing so well. But thankfully that's not the case for at least one company.

Cons

- You should not consider working here if you want a job where you just wanna coast through work without much work to do, you always have work to do at Wishabi
    - If you are a person who does not like to have fun, is not looking to make friends, and is looking for more of a corporate culture where for example you will be fired for being 5mins late more than once, you should also not work at Wishabi. We actually had someone who left Wishabi after 3 days of working here because they didn't like how chill everyone here seemed, and the fun culture. Apparently some people like corporate culture, if you are one of those, Wishabi is not for you.

Best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Bilingual Quality Control Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Bilingual Quality Control Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Wishabi part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great work culture
    - Friendly coworkers who are always helpful
    - Opportunities to work as a team
    - Flexible work hours
    - Free Friday lunches
    - Summer events i.e. kayaking, camping

Cons

- Must remind management for reviews as the workplace is busy
    - No other cons, this is an excellent work environment

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Wishabi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing culture
    Really smart people.
    Flexible work hours
    A place that actually has a working coach/mentor system
    Transparency

Cons

The pros listed above are what I actually care about in a company and hence I don't think this company has any cons.

Keep up the good work.

Work Hard, Play Hard.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Wishabi full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wishabi employees genuinely work hard for the overall success of the company, and they also gain many benefits in return! Wishabi offers full benefits, flexible work hours, many company events, and much more--they take good care of their employees. In addition to all those benefits, the atmosphere at Wishabi is definitely notable. All employees are friendly, energetic, and have a strong work ethic, which yields an exceptional team!

Cons

The workload can be heavy at times, but this isn't foreign in workplaces. At least the people here enjoy what they do--they meet all their deadlines, and have fun in the process!

Great People, Challenging and Fun Work Environment

Current Employee - Business Development  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Development in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Wishabi full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a fantastic place to work. The people are friendly, the work is exciting and everyone is approachable. The leaders of the company genuinely want everyone to grow in their careers and personal happiness.

The company is run like a professional sport team. People who enjoy working with very high performers will excel at this company.

Twice a year the entire team goes on a company sponsored trip (summer/winter).

Cons

The company culture is not for everyone. For those who do not wish to be challenged, to be held accountable or wish to grow personally and professionally should not join the company.

Work Hard, Play Hard

I have been working at Wishabi full-time for less than a year

Pros

- You are encouraged to grow by taking on projects that will help facilitate your professional growth
    - Your ideas and feedback are always welcome; management is always willing to listen to your suggestions and implement them
    - Great team events to take part in to help grow team spirit and the whole family feel to working with coworkers who become great friends
    - Friendly and helpful team environment that is focused on team growth/success
    - Friday lunches
    - Two amazing trips per year for the entire team (Blue Mountain in the winter and a trip in the summer)
    - Sports night every Thursday (basketball, volleyball and badminton)
    - Work flex options
    - Full benefits

Cons

- Lots of overtime, but no overtime pay

- Need better method of compensating employees for the amount of hours they put in

Good people and a great place for people who want more

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Wishabi full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been at Wishabi for just over a year now and while we have all of the fun things such as fooz ball, ping pong and playstation the big thing that I've seen that is different compared to my other friends in startups is the culture and also some management system that I've seen. We have a big meeting every week where we get info on the ins and outs of the business and I also find it interesting that management sends out the meeting minutes of their management meeting to the entire company to review. I actually feel like I'm part of the team and involved in the decisions and it's so refreshing compared to my prior employer.

As it relates to personal growth and training I have weekly coaching sessions with my mentor and we get to problem solve together. It's really collaborative and open.

Cons

There aren't too many cons but one thing that can be improved is the office space as we're busting at the seams. I know we're taking over the 4th floor in the next few months but I guess this is a growing pain for the company.

Continue to listen to your employees and don't lose this as we grow. I know we've taken investment from US investors but we need to stay true to who we are.

Worked for Wishabi? Contribute to the Community!