Wizards of the Coast

Updated February 25, 2015
2.5

Wizards of the Coast President and CEO Greg Leeds
Greg Leeds

Pros
  • Supportive of work-life balance, several fun employee appreciation events every year (in 9 reviews)

• half day Fridays, benefits package, generous 401k matching, tuition reimbursement, paid holiday between Dec 24-Jan2 (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some senior management are difficult to work for and some key teams are understaffed and under-resourced (in 4 reviews)

• This used to be a great place to work I had several managers I truly respected and a team that was inspiring to work with (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A Great Company To Work For But Advancement Challenging

I worked at Wizards of the Coast

Pros

Great work environment, competitive salary, has very nice perks

Cons

Very hard to advance from one position to the next. Once you are in a particular role, you may need to leave the company to try new opportunities.

Making job shadowing a supported program would help. I don't mean recognize that it is possible but to create baselines for it and track it across the enterprise.

Great place to go nowhere.

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time

Pros

Co-workers are great. Probably the only reason people stay around. Very devoted and intelligent people working there. Company is understanding you have a life outside work.

Cons

Very low chance to advance, you will be told you can, but what you need to do changes all the time so you will not succeed at it.

Marketing is a joke, they have no idea what they are trying to sell and won't learn. IT is old and out of date.

2 trick pony. Magic and D&D. If it isn't named that it's not going to fly. Don't get your hopes up about a new game you made. Even if they like it, and say they want to do it, it won't get published. But they will own your idea from then on.

So many layers of managers, it's hard to know who someone has to talk to. Marketing is a joke, find someone better. The employees are smart, listen to them, they have good ideas and good games. Maybe find something other than magic and D&D to make.

Great staff, Marquis products, Worth the experience

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast

Pros

Wizards has a phenomenal work environment. The company is vested in doing what's right for the products short & long term.

Cons

Risk Adverse
    Slow

Not much else, except maybe for below average comp.

Fun products but bad management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wizards has great products and some of the newer folks are trying to make improvements
    Nice schedule option to work longer Monday - Thursday then half day on Friday
    The regular employees are good people

Cons

The long term employees protect each other even when it is bad for the company and other workers
    The executives keep saying how they need to change, but nothing changes
    Managers who are ineffective and terrible to their people are rewarded while folks who try to make things better are quickly pushed to the side

Stop rewarding and protecting the folks that cause your problems
    Replace the entire project management group
    Replace technology engineering leadership
    Stop talking about what needs to change and make the changes

Wizards is a great place to work!

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time

Pros

I've never worked anywhere with a more passionate, creative group of people. People also care a lot about our players, and are willing to go above and beyond to make our products and experiences special for those players.

Employees get samples of most of our products. If you're a fan of D&D or Magic: The Gathering, that's a huge benefit. If you're not, there's still a great benefits package, half-day Fridays, and pretty amazing creativity put in to Halloween week (this year, one floor was turned in to the bridge of the Enterprise, another Thunderdome).

The company has grown leaps and bounds in the last 5 years. It's an exciting time to be at Wizards, and there have never been more opportunities to contribute.

If you love gaming and are a creative and hard worker, Wizards can be a very rewarding place to work.

Cons

Things aren't perfect. There are some areas of the business that Wizards is struggling with, but the senior management is aware of the issues and is committed to shoring up these areas of weakness.

Keep listening to your people. I've been really encouraged by the amount of effort that has been put in to identifying what makes employees happy or unhappy. This year's Christmas party was the best I've ever been to, and it's clear that more effort is being put in to showing how much employees are valued.

Terrible company

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast

Pros

- Flexible work schedule
    - Laid back

Cons

- You'd be hard-pressed to find a more poorly managed company
    - Better make friends. Managers and above will become petty and retaliatory if they don't like you
    - Don't worry about doing a good job. Nothing is based on merit. You'll be judged on who likes you
    - Nothing is organized. Nothing is on time. Everything is on fire
    - You will work well over 40 hours a week and not be compensated in any way for that
    - Don't take holidays for granted. You'll work some of them

Not a place you want to be like Hasbro the parent company

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast (more than 5 years)

Pros

The offices are nice with many art pieces and dragon in the lobby. You get the Christmas week off.

Cons

Upper IT leadership is lost and threatened by new ideas and talent. They make sure those people are diminished until they leave or find a way to get rid of them. It is very clicky within the organization and don't tell HR anything as they are part of the problem! I noticed that many of their job postings are under Hasbro to mislead you into thinking its a great place to work, but Wizards is NO Hasbro and you will find out soon enough

Get rid on your Top IT leadership as they have been at Wizards so long, they have no idea what the rest of the IT world is doing. If you want to be a top contender in this area, you need new blood!

Good associates, poor management

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good group of colleagues to work with,

Cons

Management ready to throw anyone under the bus to avoid their own inability to motivate and be a part of the team.

Stop blaming your direct reports for your own failings

Best of Both Worlds

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wizards is great for young go getters. They come in, get to work on cool technology that’s mostly less than 10 years old, build up some nice resume bullet points. Then they leave since pay is better everywhere else in this area.

But what about the rest of us? The real people. I’ve been here a few years now. I checked out years ago. How’s Wizards for the majority of us?

It’s FANTASTIC. My manager checked out years ago too. Beyond that? No one cares!

You never meet your skip level manager. Never. You never meet your director, or VP, or anyone above your direct, every day manager. And there’s about 10 layers between me and the local CEO. I’m closer to Kevin Bacon than him!

What about the skip level manager - worried that he’ll catch my manager being checked out? There’s no worries there. Just recently had a group meeting with him. He has four reports, and manages four products. He messed up the name of one of his direct reports and one of his products! And when called on it he responded “Everyone calls him [incorrect pronunciation]”!! Is there any clearer way he can say “I don’t care about you or your product”? This is a 100% true example of every day life at Wizards.

There is no better place for the 15 minute a week workers. There’s so many of us I don’t worry about losing my job, even if the managers cared. But they so obviously don’t care that it’s one less thing to worry about.

Cons

No upward mobility. But if you're basing your career at this company, you've got bigger problems.

Keep up the good work! Not being recognized by any manager will keep me collecting paychecks from you!

Outdated organization and outdated technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance is good
    Comp is good in certain groups
    Hasbro 401k plan is stellar if you're able to contribute

Cons

Health benefits are awful, with massive out-of-pocket costs
    Vacation time is a bit low for the area and industry
    Company culture is very weak
    Career development is extremely difficult

Flatten your org structure. The current model of silos upon silos upon silos doesn't work and breeds inefficiency; so much so that you needed to create a massive (and near useless) PMO group to try and navigate it all. Nobody's bosses boss should have three bosses.

Use just a tiny piece of those massive profits to treat your employees like they matter. Update the hideous 1980's office. Treat them to some fun events (hint: letting people play Magic doesn't count). Go visit other local game studios and see what those environments are like...maybe you'll realize why recruiting is so difficult.

Bring in technology experts and engineers with experience in modern systems. The people who've been at Wizards for 10+ years are as out-of-date as the technology they're trying to fix.