Wizards of the Coast Reviews

Reset
2.6
Wizards of the Coast President and CEO Greg Leeds
Greg Leeds

Pros
  • Supportive of work-life balance, several fun employee appreciation events every year (in 9 reviews)

• Half day Fridays - the company as a whole works '4-9s' and a half day on Friday (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some senior management are difficult to work for and some key teams are understaffed and under-resourced (in 4 reviews)

• This used to be a great place to work I had several managers I truly respected and a team that was inspiring to work with (in 3 reviews)

Best kept secret - Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate about our brands. Successful business. Short and long term growth plan. Excellent work:life balance. Ethical. Motivated.

Cons

Office space could be improved but company is actively addressing.

Advice to Management

Hire the most talented people available. Pay them well. Don't micro-manage.

Most Joyless Toy Company on Earth

Former Employee - Kept Changing By the Week in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Kept Changing By the Week in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast (More than a year)

Pros

Half day Fridays. Lovely grey cubes as far as the eye can see. Nobody notices when you come in at 10am. Free product you can sell later. Your future interviews won't ask why you left WotC…they already know.

Cons

Toxic management with no vision. No connection to gaming community. No career path. Corporate culture is poison. If you're reading this, you think it will be different for you. It won't. Just run the other way.

Advice to Management

Sell your titles to an actual game company. Apologize to the community for destroying an amazing legacy.

I wish them well

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast (More than 3 years)

Pros

Half day Fridays, free product, getting to play Magic and D&D at work, relaxed hourly schedule. and lots of free food. The technical team working on the non-game systems and the Magic Online business team is run rather well and cares about the player experience. R&D is the unsung heroes of the company as they keep making Magic a fun game. Customer Service fills in all over the company to their credit.

Cons

-Lack of empathy in the executive team and very little understanding of technology -Unprofessional behavior accepted from senior leaders -Tons of politics and backstabbing -Office dating all over the place causing tension -Completely risk averse -Dire fear of change or losing job or title -Very little collaboration -Many of the directors were simply good at "playing the game" -Lots of win-lose scenarios, blaming and finger pointing -Managers who intimidate their employees and anyone who disagrees with them (especially in the Magic Online technical group)

Would've stayed with them forever, were it not for some wretched management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be the people, but with each year, more and more cautious, corporate drones would arrive, at the expense of the passionate, committed people who built the company. 1/2 day Fridays year round. Onsite daycare, and gym. Reasonable benefits.

Cons

Little room for advancement. Salary is a bit on the low side, at least for the same job titles/functions in other companies. Politics reign, starting at the top and filtering down. Being on a manager's good side is imperative to your survival. Many employees fearful for their jobs. Leadership needs to become visionary and inspired, and be able to act upon trends. Far too many meetings, which take up too much time, and accomplish far too little. Labored, committee-based decision-making bogs down processes and is wearying.

Advice to Management

Behave with greater integrity. Actually "think outside of the box" instead of pretending to. Encourage true leadership, inspire innovation, and give employees a greater sense of authorship in the process.

I enjoy working here, even with the cons.

Current Employee - Game Designer in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the brands, and the enthusiasm for our products within the building. It's easy to love what you do here.

Cons

I am constantly worried about being laid off, and I'm constantly shifting my focus due to changing expectations from above.

Outstanding place to work.

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast

Pros

Great atmosphere and coworkers. Collaborative environment.

Cons

IT support a little lacking.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology.

Toxic, Abusive Management, No room to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast (More than 3 years)

Pros

The games and creativity is amazing. The actual product is the only truly enjoyable part of working with this company.

Cons

Territorial, aggressively domineering, "I'm right and you're wrong" mindset from pretty much all executive management (and most mid-level) makes being anything but a desk jockey with this company an exercise in frustration and futility.

Advice to Management

Hire someone to teach you how to communicate and be actual leaders; you're driving people away almost as fast as you hire them.

Sr Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relax environment with excellent work life balance

Cons

Slow and not be able to move fast enough to meet demand customer.

Some great people, fun company but wrong leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Work/life balance - Technology vision and leadership - Some great people

Cons

- PMO leadership is unprofessional, adversarial and obstructionist - Marketing is rewarded by being a bully and destructive - Majority of the VPs and the CEO are old and have no understanding of technology nor do they support it - Terrible office location - Lack of recognition - If you try to bring to life some of the issues that have existed for a longtime, know that it will be swept under the rug and HR will try to punish you for it

Advice to Management

There is a huge potential, you had great talent but you haven't been able to retain any of them. Mass exodus and yet, HR doesn't do a thing. CEO could care less. Hasbro is supportive of Wotc and the changes needed, but CEO is the reason why nothing is happening. Get a new CEO, retire your old VPs, bring in some technologists across the board to support the only leader who is trying to do something. Magic paper is great, but to compete, you need to finally understand leadership in technology and fully support the vision.

It's what you make it to be

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The work-life balance is great, you get lots of time off and the hours, compared to a lot of other places, are very reasonable. The office atmosphere is very casual and laid-back. If you're a geek, or at least have geeky proclivities, you'll feel right at home here. The place is one of the Meccas of Geekdom. Smart coworkers, generally a good sense of humor pervades throughout the building. Lots of free product given away as an employee perk.

Cons

You will not be challenged in your profession and will soon find your skills becoming outdated. Wizards doesn't push the bar or take risks of any kind, I eventually found myself needing to leave or else risk become completely obsolete in my craft. As a tabletop company owned by a giant toy company, Wizards fundamentally doesn't understand the digital space and seems incapable of attracting or retaining the kind of talent that could right the ship.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive in identifying bad managers and get them out of your organization. When I was there, I watched as one particular director completely ran a team into the ground and no one could or would do anything about it. Either commit to technology or get out of the game. The tepid half-in, half-out approach taken for the last decade has seriously eroded consumer confidence in your products and morale within the building.

RSS Feed </> Embed