Wizards of the Coast

Wizards of the Coast President and CEO Greg Leeds

Greg Leeds

Fun, fast-paced

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time for more than a year

ProsHalf day fridays and generous vacation. Fun, great products. Passionate, creative, smart coworkers. My manager is great. Good Wizards employees often get hired away, if you're looking for a stepping stone.

ConsMany employees are overworked and get paid too little. Technology is a mess. Typical corporate politics. Feels like the ones doing the all the work don't get enough of the rewards.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix technology. Bump up salaries please; if we are going to be located in lower-cost Renton and work as hard as we do, then please pay us more! Or let's hire a more people. I can't keep this up.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Very cool experience tainted by lack of opportunity

Renton, WA

I worked at Wizards of the Coast as an intern for less than a year

ProsPlaytesting so many well-known IP's is exhilarating, laid-back atmosphere, creative environment

ConsCompletely incompetent at implementing any kind of digital media. I was tossed into a web design team even though I had no experience in and was not hired for coding. Had to deal with contracted web app companies that could not care less. I was placed almost exclusively in teams that had little to do with the job I'd been hired to perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you hire someone and put them under a manager, make sure that manager doesn't shove his extraneous/unwanted teams onto the new hire with no explanation.

A lot of fun, good until your not deemed worthy.

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFun work, the best project you will ever work on. The opportunity to advance your favorite game. Some of the countries best Art Directors, graphic designers, and production staff.

ConsSlow/ no promotion track. Stagnant salaray - raises or increases in salary very very rare.

Advice to Senior ManagementInexperienced managers. Know the business, but bad with people and troubleshooting problems that many arrise with staff.

Toxic Corporate Environment with Little Regard for Individuals

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time

ProsIf you want to work on the pinnacle brands for RPGs or CCGs, this is your only choice. There are other companies that do these games, but none that occupies the top slot.

If your department is meeting expectations, you can expect a satisfying work environment.

ConsIf your department is not meeting unreasonable expectations set by a parent company that doesn't have a clear understanding of the product or consumer environment, you can expect a harsh, critical work environment that sheds employees with annual or twice-annual layoffs with few emotional or financial rewards.

Anyone above you in the hierarchy knows how to maneuver through corporate politics, appeasing those above and encouraging those below, while letting blame slip past when it comes time to fire someone. I saw people maneuvered into positions of blame to excuse their firings more than once, and one truly awful case of firing someone for false cause.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand your products better. Learn how to respect your employees.

ok to work here if you like waterfall and no advancement

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time for more than a year

Proswork 4 9 hour days and get a half day Friday is nice

Conscompensation is very east coast and way below industry standards

Avoid

Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast as a contractor

ProsCool Factor is pretty high

ConsThere's not a manager there who knows what they're doing

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit changing your minds & quit cheaping out on employees

It's a fun nightmare

I worked at Wizards of the Coast full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWonderful IPs that excite fans and employees alike.
Casual work environment.
Good stepping stone to other organizations.

ConsBrand/Marketing departments on the D&D side of the house are ignorant of their products and show no signs of wanting to learn. Completely ineffectual.
People in the Technology org are making their entire careers on software that is over budget and behind schedule.
No room for growth without being part of an executive manager's inner circle.
No recognition of or compensation for strong work ethic or results if you are not in middle management or higher.
More managers than actual individual contributors. This sounds cynical. This is true, however.
Technology department is wholly dependent on mediocre work from contractors and outside vendors.
Non-compete clause is extremely strict.
New ideas are not encouraged. For a company that lives and dies by its IPs, they are remarkably resistant towards encouraging innovation or new products.
Pay scale is well below market.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking credit for the hard work of the people you manage.
Learn about your product from a ground level.
Gut your middle management and marketing teams, particularly on the D&D side. Nothing good is being done there outside of the R&D org.
Consider providing actual career paths for hardworking and invested employees instead of cold hiring managers with no understanding of or appreciation for the product.
ENCOURAGE CREATIVE GROWTH.

Your first stop on the road to Microsoft

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast

ProsCasual work environment. Some employees are extremely passionate and are a treat to work with. Work on the best RPG and TCGs in the world.

ConsPoor managers drive away talented individuals, and don't recognize good or hard work. Incompetency is often rewarded with promotion. Lower-than-market salaries often makes this place a stepping stone to other companies that care more about their talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace the digital age. Hire talented individuals. Cull toxic managers.

Looks good from the outside - then I got to know you

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood vacation package and you get points to use in the employee store. Products are visually appealing. Half day Fridays in most departments (you work 9 hours the rest of the week)

ConsLOW moral. Upper management doesn't know whats best for the people who are actually doing the work. There is a lot of talent but people get stuck in positions with little to no career advancement. People will throw you under the bus for personal gain. A lot of egos. Yearly grading system on a curve. Deserving people do not get what they deserve. High turnover. lower than average compensation. Most employees are overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees fairly

Great potential...wasted away.

Designer (Current Employee)
Renton, WA

I have been working at Wizards of the Coast as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsGreat and visually appealing Products. Nice to know that there are lots of people that do appreciate your hard work. Half day Fridays... if you can.

ConsLack of balance, Serious attitude and ego issues. LOW moral, inconsistency, lack of communication and commitment, childish behaviors and politics. Those that DO work are OVERWORKED. You get to the point where you have to let got of your love for the product in order to live a personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust stop trying to fix what you do not understand and listen to what the people that do the actual work NEED. You give too much power to those that do not consider others, yet do not pay attention to those that CARE about the product and their fellow co-workers.

Worked for Wizards of the Coast? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wizards of the Coast reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wizards of the Coast CEO Greg Leeds. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Wizards of the Coast employees.