Wize Commerce

Updated November 30, 2014
3.3

Jeffrey Katz

Don't go there

I worked at Wize Commerce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros I can think of.

Cons

Poor culture, management, product, everything.

Wonderful Experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Wize Commerce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High Salary, Flexible Working Hours, Good team

Cons

Coordination, Extra curricular, Food/Snack options

Plan before execution

Unclear future direction, but great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Wize Commerce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits at Nextag/Wize Commcerce aren't exceptional, but in general, it wasn't a terrible place to work. I personally liked my manager (although he was somewhat ineffective and probably was promoted to a high-level position prematurely), and my team was for the most part dedicated to a good product and intelligent. Other departments were staffed by people I also enjoyed seeing on a daily basis, and HR made a very strong effort to grow morale in an authentic manner.

Cons

There is a lot of over-leveling at this company; far too many VPs and people in senior roles who are not qualified to hold them. There is also a large amount of empire-building which is not discouraged; for example, the platform team routinely would block all front-end development without any meaningful backlash. Most of the development has been off-shored to India, and while the India team is very capable, the communication between them and the US team is not as rigorous as it should be.

From a managerial perspective, the messaging from and skills around the management teams here is not impressive. Any efforts to improve people who are considered "key" are often squashed in order to keep them from leaving. Repeated large layoffs have hurt morale. Finally, the company direction is unclear, since the market surrounding CSEs has fallen away so sharply.

Great company for business learning, technology stack and work life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Wize Commerce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Technology stack, work life balance.You will learn a lot in short amount of time. Also the gurgaon campus is next to DLF cyberhub which is one of the most happening places in the town.

Cons

No mentoring, hidden decisions, career path is not visible.

Think of a career path for the employees along with appropriate mentoring.

Wize Commerce India

I worked at Wize Commerce

Pros

Good technical learning
    Satisfactory package
    Flexibility in timings

Cons

Loads of work
    No process
    Bad work culture

Should concentrate on employee satisfaction

To The Board And To Those Considering Employment

Current Employee - Janitor in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Janitor in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Wize Commerce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is making a good attempt to fix the problems that were created by previous management, which thankfully has been let go.

Now to list every perk they deliver

- Massage Chair

-Ping Pong Table/Break Room

- Snacks: Soda, Sparkling Water, Chips, Granola Bars, Bagels,Bread, Cereals, Oatmeal and an occasional lunch.

- Healthcare is amazing

- Pay is Average-Con or Pro how you look at it

- Good Work Life Balance

-New CEO, He is cool and humble and all the power to him- This is the general consensus

Cons

-No matter how you look at Wize Commerce...there is little job stability

- A few people in the company are hermits and never come out of their office like a shell. No matter how horrible it sounds, having a open office setting (No Offices) sets a mood of unity and synergy to your workforce. Look at Jack Dorsi, CEO and Billionaire of Square...no office...they are insanely successful and he has Glassdoor rating of 92%. If he can do it you can do it.

Last but not least, .......still after trudging a political agenda for multiple years, damaging the company financially and risking it's future, Jeff Katz(The Old CEO, Glassdoor rating of 29%) is still apart of the board (At The Present Moment).
    There is the SEO drop to blame, we can all agree to that, but the lack of direction and experience exercised during his tenure was almost juvenile when compared to the talent he was in charge of leading. I was a personal witness.

In Summary, Wize Commerce is working toward a new goal and does have somewhat of a evolving plan on how to improve the company and make a better working environment for their employees. Yet, we will believe it when we see it. Changes still need to be made and promises need to be kept. If you are given a job offer, try your best to ensure that the job is vital. If you are adventurous then accept. If you not, then look elsewhere.

Human Resources: We all appreciated the most recent lunch to address any of our questions. However, it is widely thought that it would be best to send out a detailed survey that asks for suggestions that we can fill out anonymously. This way we can give our individual and honest feedback and suggestions to you so you can make the best decision on how to turn things around at the fastest speed possible.

Engineering: Keep improving the Silhouettes, in my opinion and others they need to look as professional as Nextag.com. Your going in the right direction and keep being the awesome brains behind our business.

Sales: Whatever you do keep doing what you do, stop being so loud

Finance: Keep crunching those numbers

Mr.CEO: Thank you. Moving forward, we ask you to go to bat for us. This company has a lot of potential and it will only come if we as a whole are satisfied and unified. We understand that you have a large task in front of you.

Tip on helping us be satisfied: Please go to the board and request that we receive equity and bonus potential from the company. We can all bet that no one ever shook their head at a better pay structure, right? You are our voice and we know your up for the task.

Tip on helping us be unified: Monthly retreats/ activities/ get togethers

Also, work closely with HR to help chisel away the wall that prevents good ideas and opinions from being heard that pertain to improving the work environment.

The Board Members: I have personally walked by coworkers desks and seen at least 6 or 7 browsing on Indeed.com, Monster.com or Careerbuilder.com....if you were not aware those are all job sites. If certain measures are not approved to make our pay structure and work environment competitive within the next few months...you most likely will not have a board to sit on by the middle of 2015. You have major talent at your company and you need to take better care of it. That's not a threat...its a reality. A line has been crossed and Jeff Katz crossed it. The majority vote is that we are currently on the fence until we see what happens over the next 3 to 4 months. According to finance, we are a "Stable" company and we will believe it when we see it.

Last, make yourself more visible to us. Yes, your on the board and the hidden voice behind the company. Yet, would it hurt to introduce yourselves and socialize with us? We all know who you are by way of Linkedin, but all you are right now is a picture and a resume. Not much to run off of when you are wanting us to rebuild a company and create more value in your pockets.

Sinking Ship

I have been working at Wize Commerce full-time

Pros

Depending on the team you're on, some of the work can be very interesting. Food is okay-ish, though I guess it's free so can't complain too much.

Cons

- Business side is completely lost and confused. Google will eat you alive if you're trying to compete with them. You need a new business model that doesn't involve 1. competing with google. 2. Getting most of your traffic from google.
    - You need to have more patience with new products and try to innovate. You can't try a new project for a few months, not give it any resources, and scrap the entire thing if it wasn't a stellar success.
    - stop judging your revenue based on clicks or ad exposure. Try building a product that would get users to eagerly come and visit your website.

- Everything above. Get rid of the CEO, get more open exposure and communication with your employees.
    - Stop firing / making it uncomfortable for anyone who dares to express an opinion that differs from the CEO.

Excellent product based company with a lot of growth potential

Current Employee - Engineering Lead in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Engineering Lead in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Wize Commerce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- no office politics
    - loads of new stuff to learn all the time
    - relaxed atmosphere

Cons

- lacks the ambience of a premium work place
    - flat hierarchy

more opportunities for vertical growth

Company churns through employees

Former Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Wize Commerce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office is very clean and there are ping pong tables. There are still some decent people there even though they have fired anybody that disagrees with the CEO.

Cons

This company was formerly called Nextag. Read those reviews they speak for themselves. 2.5 Rating even with older good reviews. Senior management doesn't care about people and has destroyed a lot of the previous management's good work.

You need to find a business model that Google can't just take away from you.

Awesome culture, fast-paced interesting work, visibility to upper management

Current Employee - Finance & M&A in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Finance & M&A in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Wize Commerce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great people to work with, both younger and older employees mostly have a good attitude and are easy to approach & work with
    - Work is interesting and feels like a start-up even though the company is over 12 years old
    - Visibility to upper management is available and if you do a good job, it gets recognized by everyone on the team & many other teams as word goes around
    - People seem honest & tell it how it is
    - Work-life balance is good & good hours & sometimes work from home
    - Mobility within the company happens often so you get to work on various projects and teams if desired
    - Casual (jeans)

Cons

- No matching for 401K
    - Small selection of complimentary food with very little healthy options
    - Small cafeteria with not-so-good food, but it encourages people to go out to eat!

Continue to keep it feeling like a start-up =]