Wm Morrison Supermarkets Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
271 reviews filtered by
2.7
Dalton Philips

Pros
  • The only positive I got out of working for Morrison's was the staff Discount (in 45 reviews)

• Most of the staff are friendly and helpful however, not all of them (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of staff was an issue whilst I was working there (in 10 reviews)

• expected to work unpaid after your 8 hour shift by senior management in instore , (in 17 reviews)

1. Not the worst, not the best

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

profit share, sick pay, ok wages

Cons

disorganised management, lack of progression, poor communication between staff

2. Extremely strong team that follow work ethics.

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Numerous internal opportunities and training. Communication within the organisation is extremely good - colleagues are informed about the future plan of the business.

Cons

Management only look at the quality and quantity of the products rather the welfare of the employees.

3. Really good

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Great working community, good training

Cons

New reconstruction provides little room for career growth

More room for growth

5. Horrendous Times

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant
    Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Staff Discount and Friendships on the Shop Floor

Cons

Rubbish Senior Management, absolutely no Career progression, way too much take to do for the money, I come out of the store feeling extremely angry at times, the company is directionless

Promote the right people

Enjoyable experience, although don't feel I was pushed to increase skills.

Current Employee - M-Local Team Member in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - M-Local Team Member in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy job, regular training, work in team of 20 staff. Also given staff discount and raise money for local community charities.

Cons

Sometimes understaffed, or overstaffed when new stores bring trainees to store.

7. Inept store management and company has no real clue about its customers.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Warminster, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Warminster, England (UK)

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Occasionally they have 20% discount days.

Cons

Very poor inept senior managers, that have to be right no matter what!

Very poor and overly complicated systems.

No real focus on what the customers want, i.e. To buy things!

Stores run on nowhere near enough staff.

Area and regional managers delusional.

A lot of staff get away with doing very little work.

HR department is atrocious, focus is only on itself.

Poor training at all levels.

Too much focus on departments that do not make any money, I.e. Tills and market street.

Could go on!

Learn, listen and think! You are an embarrassment to the world of retail!

8. Great Time

Former Employee - Produce Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Produce Sales Assistant

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

great team effort, lovely working atmosphere, excellent lower level middle management and working hours are great, no real pressure, always home on time

Cons

no real strategy in place and a real need to take care of staff who work hard. If you are physically proactive you will not get promoted until well after you've already thought about moving on in your career. If you are disinterested but do what you need to do to get by chances are you will be promoted to manage the hard workers who are willing to 'graft' during their shift. Part time workers also suffer bad hours usually always evenings until 10 or 11pm.

Re-imagination of structure of the company and focus on targets. A new approach to the structure of the store employment tree as a whole, and implement regular random drug testing because it was clear during my time there that this was heavily needed due to the class of people employed.

9. Been working for Morrisons for one year and I am soon leaving the company.

Current Employee - M-Local Team Member in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Staff discount. Holidays are good. 30% of customers are friendly. I have a job is a positive. . . . . .

Cons

Did a promotion interview and was told it went well but 3 months later told that I'll need to take it again;useless rude area managers. staff discount too small. Not enough staff. Don't vary roles;Part timers on till all shift. Worked to the bone and boss says I'll have to leave my break today because store is busy. I work 9 hours 5 out of 7 days and my shift times are awful, i don't have a life. same people stealing and nothing is done about it.

i think managers should only get the job if they have had some previous supermarket experience because my manager complains to staff about code checking and other jobs and he's never done it himself, its a joke.

10. Hell on earth !

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent holiday leave 6.2weeks, sick pay ,staff discount and a yearly profit share, although it's shrinked a lot lately.

Cons

The place is an absolute joke! May as well just abandon ship! The staffing levels over the last few years are laughable. When people leave theirs no replacement usually. More and more is expected of you every week until your that stressed you literally could explode. Theirs constant rule changes ' which usually last about a week because their so dam stupid!
    The rotas are ridiculous and a lot of the time are changed without mentioning it to you, so don't bother making plans! It's usually the senior management though, they seem to think we don't have lives outside work, and if you challenge it those famous words are thrown at you..... Wait fo it..... Sorry it's the needs of the business!

The senior management are to be honest, over paid idiots who couldn't care less what you've to say even if it could benefit the business. They like to constantly move the goal posts and often use bully tactics to get you to do things , The shop floor only really gets attention from them when were due a visit from the area manager or higher.

Health and safety is to be honest very poor and often major accidents are usually brushed under the rug, if you report something that's potentially a major hazard to the senior management it's often dismissed, that is until an accident actually happens.

Open your eyes and actually listen to what we have to say. Treat us like human beings not scum like you all seem to do.

11. Great people at head office. Challenging mgmt

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Fantastic people
    Good atmosphere
    Reasonable work life balance

Cons

Feel as though owned by senior bosses.
    Some bullying culture still remains
    Poor management decisions, which whilst allegedly making sure ROI is achieved, ignore hidden costs and challenges from less senior staff to save face. This results in bad decisions which cost the company money.

Start to look at the real costs of projects!