Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

2.6

Dalton Philips

Pros
  • The only positive I got out of working for Morrison's was the staff Discount (in 29 reviews)

• Most of the staff are friendly and helpful however, not all of them (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low staff moral, no confidentially or trust in senior members of staff (in 11 reviews)

• Lack of staff was an issue whilst I was working there (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Pressures will always be there in retail, but I am contented with my job.

Current Employee - Shopfloor Systems Clerk ++ (and More)
    Current Employee - Shopfloor Systems Clerk ++ (and More)

Pros

Always a pleasure to speak to and serve the customers, always try to leave them with a smile on their face. Which leaves me with a sense of achievement. The job I do is pretty much on its own but love to interact with other colleagues and management if I feel I need to. Don't always get the response hoping for but at least its been said. Always worked in retail so have seen from other sides too, try to stay positive and understand the 'moving forward' in the business.

Cons

There will always be challenges within any job and business that has to move forward and improve. I try to accept whatever comes along and with new beginnings, it doesn't always seem to be right at first.
    There are things that have been brought in that haven't worked as well as the company probably would have expected and this can be frustrating as it can be seen the money could have been better spent.
    Ive never had an issue with work-life balance as i experienced long hard hours in a previous position, my hours I work suit me well. Likewise I've never had any issues with time-off for whatever reason. Although it would be nicer to organise holidays earlier. (Nov this year I will be discussing holiday for next year at home!).

Little bit of advice I would have for management is know your people, take time out (of your pressured day) to praise and thank for a job well done. Recognition and gratitude goes a very long way.
    Perhaps don't have the attitude youre better than anyone else .... there is no 'i' in team. We all play apart in the success of the business.

Overworked. Under appreciated

Pros

Staff discount. Perks with money off certain companies. Bonus.

Cons

Short staffed. To many staff being used as relief checkout operators. Department managers having to stay on late come in early and skip breaks to achieve work load.... very little support from seniors. Head office are swamping admin staff with new systems which do not work.... brand refresh. ... huge amount of extra price changes all planned at short notice for the same night..... then given 4 weeks to re ticket the complete store..... given extra help who ends up to checkouts their complete shift...... its a worry. .. staff can not keep up working over 50 hours a week... no consideration to home life and people are beginning to buckle under the pressure....... people are being paid of over coming months and yet morrisons are spending money on upgrades with so many issues and frankly do not work. .....

Senior team need to support department managers... we are left with too big a burden... The buck stops with them but we somehow are left carrying the responsibility. ..... its take take take and home life suffers.......

Part-time = Non existant

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Lincoln, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Lincoln, England (UK)

Pros

The customers were mostly lovely, as I was lovely to them. I did enjoy talking to them and delivering great customer service. The store manager was good, he was the only one that gave praise, others thought he was harsh but that is because they were lazy!

Cons

I worked harder and faster than anyone on my department, despite being part time. I believe this to be because people were allowed to not work very hard. I worked very hard and never got any praise, whereas if someone who turned up late every day came in on time one day out of the week they got praise. What is the point of trying?! Also certain shop floor managers would literally ignore me. I would ask him a question and if someone else was there he would respond to them, and if we were alone he just would look at me and walk away. Other people noticed he did this to many females in the store.

Acknowledge that the consensus with the staff is that they can get away with doing minimum work. Management need to be stricter with their staff, and if they are not performing up to standard, make them, or take further action. This will then result in people having to work harder, so when new staff arrive they see they need to work hard, and not just 'dally' around.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great company to work for 5 years ago lost its way now

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

Pros

was a great family business once

Cons

the new morrisons pretends to care and on paper it looks that way but at store level story is different and the customer as well as the staff is suffering

The job is good, the pay is good but the values have gone down hill as of late

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Felixstowe, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Felixstowe, England (UK)

Pros

moprrison is a good place to work as the staff in my store are all really friendly and we all get on . the beniffits are really good like the sick pay and the profit share. the salery is also really competative than alot of retailers. also the discount card wich is nreally helpful each mounth.

Cons

it is sad to say though at the moment there are more cons than pros at this moment in the company. the lack of staff we have is getting to a ponit where people are just calling in sick because they now when they get in there are gunna have to wto or three peoples jobs which they sshouldnt have to do as that not what they are paid to do. the IQM is also a waste of time and money as it messes up the all departments in the store and it has major knock on effect to all other departments with the waste and markdown and rotation. the aslo are looking more of a mess because staff are on tills and the avability is not there anymore like it used be back in ken morrisons days. there are also no overtime opportunities for full times which is a little frustrating. the people do wages and ILP need to get into stores and see how they are messing store up.

the G.M. and the duty manager need to spend more time with there deparment managers at the moment as alot arev feeling down and pressured due to cuts and redundences being made to them and staff and they need to worry less about things like IQM and clean and rotatat as departments are really suffering because of that and so are the stores

A struggle, each and every day, Morrison's need to strip back to basics and understand each store requirements.

Current Employee - Cafe Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cafe Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros

Most of the benefits as an employee i.e sick pay, flexi hours. Working with good collegues and managers. Profit share although its been disgustingly low lately, discount days (although discount should be higher)

Cons

People off sick regularly not being challenged, short staffed in all areas , low management pay, lack of decent working equipment (ovens , fridges) we need to get rid of the maintence company we use. IPADS!! Hand written orders are more efficient and ensure a good order is placed ipads are the worst piece of technology INVENTED!

Managers/ ADMS / SGMS are working like dogs,we are doing all we can to stop the failure of morrisons however it does not help when wages are cut, lack of recruitment, lack of overtime. Its simple get more staff in stores (London ones mainly) and you will get more customers happy and coming back based on the cleanliness and fullness of the shops it wont happen straight away but it will pay off in the end right now there too many customers who come in look at the state of the shop and walk out (cafes included - cant run a café with 2 people) if not I give it 2-3years until we get into deeper c**p.

Mixed Bag

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

Pros

Staff discount is really useful.
    Career path management is better than most places that I am aware of.

Cons

There seems to be a drive to promote young females. If that isn't you, you might struggle.

Appoint those who can do the job, not just those whose profile is politically acceptable. Positive discrimination turns you into the thing you are supposed to be fighting.

Very welcoming and was a great experience to work with an employer like Wm Morrison.

Former Employee - Deli Sales Assistant  in  Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Deli Sales Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)

Pros

The staff are all welcoming and get on with each other no matter what department you work on. They were always happy to help especially within my first few weeks as they could tell who was new to the store. I received lots of training and quickly was able to confidently get on with the job. The pay was very reasonable as I worked part time 15.5 hrs pw, but 8 on a Sunday so received the time and a third. The job was actually thoroughly enjoyable, It relaxed me on the close down shifts after a busy day at college.

Cons

You could sometimes encounter friendship groups within the store that weren't particularly friendly but you get that where ever you go. Sometimes there was a lack of cleaning products ordered so the equipment needed for the Deli close down was sparse and you had to go begging to borrow another departments equipment when they wanted to use it too.

Make sure the cleaning equipment supply is well stocked up. Hold more staff parties to allow gate ways for more staff to interact with each other creating a better environment.

I've had some tough times, but I feel I'm achieving something now I've started a bakery apprenticeship.

Current Employee - Bakery Apprentice  in  Colwyn Bay, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Bakery Apprentice in Colwyn Bay, Wales (UK)

Pros

There's plenty of opportunities to work your way up the ladder within the company, such as apprenticeships and MDI courses.

Cons

Staffing issues, namely lack of staff and some staff not doing their jobs properly yet not being disciplined.

Praise the people who work hard, and discipline those who don't. I see far too many colleagues doing very little, yet the only ones being told off are the ones who work hard.

Tough enviroment, tight targets, limited resources instores to make this achievable.

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

Pros

Plenty of opportunites to multi task instore with helping in other departments supporting "One Team". Current proposed rescructure arriving with opportunities to progress in the company. Good Profit Share scheme, staff discount, pension scheme and long service award. Never have "nothing to do".

Cons

Cuttting back a little too much on hours causing important duites not getting done correctly. Certain Senior Team members have no interest in their people, never show support or are even on the shopfloor supporting the teams. If they don't care then why should their staff? Adjusting schedules without asking the individual first and not taking "no" as an answer. Some have their priorities all wrong and "don't care". Don't have the right attitude for the job. Company changing the wrong things and delisting alot of stock that customers buy.

More support on the shopfloor please and help out a little more, if you can't help then at least attempt to and show your support.

Worked for Wm Morrison Supermarkets? Contribute to the Community!