Wolf Camera

company liquidated

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Wolf Camera

Pros

Always changing, Get to see new cameras

Cons

company liquidated, no longer active

Don't buy things you're never going to sell, like cell phones in a camera shop or a million $ in photo frames.

Sucks

I have been working at Wolf Camera

Pros

Great customers, printing, Co workers, location

Cons

Upper level management, pressured sales, rude regional management, pay

A great place to work while in college.

Former Employee - Camera Sales & Lab Tech in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Camera Sales & Lab Tech in Dallas, TX

I worked at Wolf Camera part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job was easy but looked good on a resume. I started working at Wolf right when film development was on the way out so it was a lot of digital printing processes. I worked part time but also made commission.

Cons

Management was usually horrible. Especially upper management.

Loved it.

Former Employee - Camera Sales & Lab Tech in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Camera Sales & Lab Tech in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Wolf Camera part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Experience, People are nice to work with.

Cons

Pay & Growth Opportunity, irate customers due to lack of available product.

Great job.

Unfocused

Current Employee - Camera Sales & Lab Tech in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Camera Sales & Lab Tech in Denver, CO

I have been working at Wolf Camera part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get to work with digital equipment.

Cons

Had too many programs being pushed on customers. Inventory was old and always out of stock.

Focus on creating an experience for customers

It was good in the past

Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Wolf Camera full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The customers, some people working for the company, it's selling and selling can be fun. A few but not really good employee discounts, not too bad health insurance.

Cons

The decisions upper management made contributes to the failure of the company. There are also some indication (search online) that upper exec's paid themselves very nicely. As a store manager 55 to 65h per week was normal. 45 was the minimum mandated, 40 were paid and for each paid holiday payroll deducted 8h regular pay and added 8h holiday pay. So bottom line no paid holidays.

Go back to school

Huge responsibility did not eve come close to matching pay-scale

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Wolf Camera full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Occassional partnerships with vendors allowed for discounts on products and sales contests allowed for nice prizes.

Cons

Salary scale was very poor, work requirements did not match the pay-scale

None, they are going out of business

20+ year associate who knows the good and the bad...

Current Employee - Store Manager in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Wolf Camera

Pros

You have minor control over your pay if you are a store associate. As a manager I have some control over my schedule. Being around photo equipment and dealing with customers is fun.

Cons

Goals are very unrealistic most times which means that you cannot get bonuses. The store budget is about 15-20 hours less than the store needs. You get more hours if you sell more imaging but when you sell more imaging you need more people, so it doesn't matter. The Zone Manager can shuffle hours from store to store to help lessenthe stress at higher end stores but it's a shell game. I am convinced that they get paid off being under budget. Which means that they will short one store in order to beef-up another store. What is crazy is if you are under budget by 10 hours one week, that doesn't mean you can use another 10 hours next week. If someone goes on vacation, you have to make up the difference... even if you can use P-T people to make up the difference because you have to count the vacation hours as work time on the budget!! I could understand that if you could "bank" some hours over the course of the year if you stay under budget but you can't.

The economy has done a lot to the business but I'm tired of working more and making less. No ability to move up becuase unless someone quits or dies your pretty much stuck.

No money to fix lab equipment that is old... same issues for YEARS.

I love my company, But I don't feel as if I can make any money anymore. Pay more for selling imaging. Make reasonable goals. 15% up when almost every store is running 10%-25% down is ridiculous. I mean, we get/see the forecast reports all the time... it's not like we can't see the big disconnect with the trends.

This is a great place to work for someone who isn't concerned with making money or advancing their career.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Wolf Camera

Pros

Working with very friendly and easy to get along with people. The schedule at this location has very flexible hours. There are good benefits right now with a very reputable insurance company. Wolf Camera sells some very nice cameras and equipment.

Cons

Wolf Camera does not sell Canon Products (Most Popular Camera Company) and will not sell their products any time in the near future. The hourly pay is not just bad but TERRIBLE. There is almost no opportunity for advancement. The store managers are not treated very well (even the ones that have been here 10+ years). They no longer match 401k contributions and have raised the price of health insurance significantly.

Get Canon back and you might be able to save this business from yet another bankruptcy. Do away with the "Network" scam. If employees are not allowed to be photographers on the side then you need to raise their pay. Your associates can go anywhere else and in most cases get paid more than they are currently getting. Start matching the 401k contributions again.

I learned a lot at Wolf.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Wolf Camera

Pros

You learn about labs and cameras and everything that goes into photography. Its helpful information for the rest of your life.

Cons

It was hard working around others schedules to get off. The manager always had priority no matter what the situation.

Management was not good or fair where I worked. Know the district manager in case of anything, he was always helpful.