Wolters Kluwer Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.7

Wolters Kluwer Chairman, Executive Board and CEO Nancy McKinstry
Nancy McKinstry

Pros
  • I really can't conjure up anything positive other than work life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Very flexible work schedule, ability to work from home (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management have little real understanding of the end user/consumer/market (in 27 reviews)

• Intense pressure from senior management to meet aggressive goals (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior Management Operates In Shadows

I worked at Wolters Kluwer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great products and for the most part good people to work with. @ CCH you have some one of the best reputations in the industry and you are able to leverage that every day.

Cons

Always some change on the horizon and the communication of those changes is almost always poorly done and unknown until the very last minute when senior management announces the change. Transparency is a farce at the company and once you are in one business unit it is very difficult transfer into another so you find yourself stuck in neutral.

Please communicate better with your front line managers so they can in turn not look so silly in front of their teams when these changes come down the pipe line.

Loved working with them in Law School

I have been working at Wolters Kluwer part-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with the company. They always provided a lot of information about new products.

Cons

I didn’t find anything to be a real negative except for wanting more information on certain tasks.

Direct Sales

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Wolters Kluwer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great team of operations and management that are friendly and willing to make time to help you be successful

Cons

similar sales roles at other companies seem to pay higher

From my experience I've seen the company hire from outside rather than promoting from within. Investing and taking advantage of the strong employees that the company has trained would be a good idea.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Where do I start?

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wolters Kluwer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Customer Support is solid. Only the Analyst. Highly skilled and patient. Solid company, but not as a whole. Good Profile

Cons

The Provation MD suite has so many problems. 1. They come out with a new version every 13 weeks, problem is the bugs from previous versions are not fixed, so many time the new updates are pulled back. Customer Support Analyst are treated like modern day slaves as all management cares for is how fast calls are answered. Many do not have time to actually work on service tickets because answering the calls in a timely manner is most important. If there are more than 2 calls waiting, analyst are urged to not leave their desk for bathroom ot other breaks. Because of this, Analyst are not allowed to attend company wide all employee meetings, and if food is served, they are given a few minutes to get food and hurry back to answer more calls. The reason for the calls is again the software is not stable and rarely works as designed. In the Winter of 2014, the office was closed because of bad weather 4 to 5 times. The Customer Support analyst were requied to risk their safety and come to the office while every other dept enjoyed the day off. There's so much more that's wrong in that area and it all pretty much stem from the person in the corner office.

Understand that the Customer Support Analyst are HUMAN and not robots. Call after call after call after call will burn you out quick and all you care about is how fast calls are answered. WAKE UP PLEASE!!

Declining corporate culture

Current Employee - Managing Editor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Wolters Kluwer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The option to work from home was attractive at first, although some managers have reduced this option substantially in the last few years. Plus, more companies are now offering the option to work from home. The vacation time is another very nice benefit, but many parts of the company are understaffed; as a result, most of the people I work with (in Medical Research) are unable to use much of their vacation days. When they do take PTO, most of my colleagues must work several hours per day on vacation in order to keep up. All unused vacation time is lost at the end of the year, and none of it can be taken as pay.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement. The current corporate culture, at least in Medical Research, involves continually increasing the workload while almost completely eliminating raises--even those that simply cover cost-of-living increases. Management is generally a revolving door of people with very little investment in the company who are paid and promoted to slash budgets. They stay for a couple of years, instill the latest fad in management, and then leave. Another major downside to this company is the terrible communication between teams--much of the work was outsourced/offshored without adequate oversight from within the company. As a result, processes that went smoothly when I first started at WK are now full of snags and errors. I've been here long enough to see the deterioration.

WK went from being a good place to work to being the worst place I've worked in my career, in large part because of the quality of senior management. Maybe something is wrong with the hiring process. I do know that the hiring process within our department (when positions aren't eliminated but actually filled) is poor--the company generally finds terrible candidates for the positions we want to fill. We end up having to place ads and carry out even the preliminary aspects of the selection process ourselves; maybe the hiring process for management is just as bad and the compensation not competitive.

Deteriorating Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Wolters Kluwer

Pros

Compensation is decent. Work-from-home is offered (to some) as well as a flexible schedule. Work is interesting and fast paced. Office space is nice. The company hires good people.

Cons

Very poor management, especially at the middle management level. Constant policy changes without much notice or explanation. Work policies applied subjectively and inconsistently. Pressure to succeed and meet metrics at the expense of implementing a good product. Culture shifting to one of extreme competition that eroded trust and cooperation among employees. Management did not do a good job listening to the employees working on the front lines. A lot of "silo" mentality; sales, operations, and development were not put in a good position to work collaboratively.

Address problems with middle management. Good people are leaving the company due to issues at the middle management level.

No light at the end of the tunnel

Current Employee - Customer Support  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Wolters Kluwer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

ProVation does many things well, Making software is not one of them. Customer support is solid. Medical content is thorough. Software design and execution is minimally functional.

Cons

Huge disconnect between the various groups and departments. I might as well be speaking Chinese. Dont you dare say anything negative - you have to be a YES man around here.

This business unit is way overdue for a major restructuring. Shake some dead weight off. Or just sell it off to a large EMR who could better utilize the medical content.

Global company that feels like a much smaller company...

I worked at Wolters Kluwer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good portfolio companies with great products across numerous vertical markets...many good ops for talented people. Usually a good work / life balance.

Cons

Slow to move culture. Focus on centralization of services (shared service model) has not always been smooth and has been a major focus of company instead of externally on customer.

Not enough development optys for mid-level employees. Need to focus more resources externally on market to keep pace with customer needs.

Graduate Level Internship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Wolters Kluwer as an intern

Pros

Direct access to leaders, regular feedback, work autonomy, treated with respect of a full-time employee, if necessary - ability to work from home.

Cons

Office culture is very formal depending on team, silo style work environment.

Build a network across interns of all levels.

Don't take a sales job here unless you are desperate

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Wolters Kluwer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generous vacation time. Health benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Poor training, poor management, no product R&D

Need to re-evaluate go to market strategy of products.

Worked for Wolters Kluwer? Contribute to the Community!