Wolverine Trading Reviews

4.1
Robert Ross Bellick

1. Software Engineer 5+ years

I have been working at Wolverine Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The trading staff completely trusts the software engineers to solve problems in a way that works best with our technology. I enjoy the creativity and freedom that this provides. The people at Wolverine are really what makes Wolverine special to me - I enjoy working with my team and I think everyone is very intelligent.

Cons

The company hierarchy is very flat so the environment doesn't always feel very structured. I think more resources should be devoted to keeping up with current technology and upgrading legacy applications.

2. 7 years and counting!

I have been working at Wolverine Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at the company for 7 years now (pretty standard here actually) so that says a lot in itself ! Some of the things I love about working at Wolverine are having complete ownership over all my projects, being able to have (and create) responsibilities in addition to my main role as a software engineer and working with smart, creative and motivated people!

Cons

Wolverine is a flat company and there isn't any micromanaging, if you are looking for a job with a lot of structure this isn't for you.

3. Challenging work in an empowering environment

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wolverine Trading

Pros

Very flat organizational structure, so great ideas get heard and implemented quickly. There is significant autonomy among teams to drive the product in an innovative and profitable direction, using input from developers to business partners. Communication is open. Small failures are "safe": a failure is useful if we learn from it is the mentality. It is fun to be able to think outside the box and try different types of management techniques and technology here.

Cons

High growth in some business units hasn't been matched by enough hiring, until recently. Though I do see this changing.

5. A great place to develop a career

I have been working at Wolverine Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wolverine provides a collaborative environment full of highly intelligent and entrepreneurial individuals that are all working together toward solving challenging problems. Some of the things that really stand out about the company include:

1) The people.
    I enjoy working with my co-workers. In general, they are very intelligent and highly motivated individuals. And I can't stress enough how well everyone works together. The environment is extremely collaborative.
    2) The projects.
    The projects I've worked on during my tenure at Wolverine are both interesting and challenging. I feel like I have been growing in many areas especially in the areas of finance, technology and project management.
    3) The opportunity.
    There is no shortage of opportunities at Wolverine. The firm has really provided me with opportunities to grow as an individual and develop my career. And there is plenty of opportunity for everyone to develop their careers.
    4) The benefits.
    Wolverine provides free breakfast and lunch and keeps the kitchen stocked with snacks and drinks at all times! This is one of my favorite perks. In addition, there are regularly scheduled events like our monthly expiration parties and the occasional Whirley Ball tournament, volleyball tournament and team dinners. The pay and benefits are also extremely competitive.

Cons

I really don't have any major complaints about Wolverine. I've really enjoyed my time at the firm. If I have to pick something it's that we can't hire people fast enough and as a result sometimes have to backlog projects.

Although Wolverine offers great continuous education opportunities, I think the firm could expand the offerings to include offerings that are a little more forward looking.

6. Interesting work/Great environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wolverine Trading full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are empowered to make decisions. Very flat organization with many smart and talented people. Diversity in business lines and offerings so you can learn a lot about different aspects of the business. Great perks like free breakfast and lunch; social events; and benefits.

Cons

More frequent communication about goals and objectives outside of the specific business unit you work in. Does not feel like it is intentional, just overlooked.

7. A great place for tackling challenging technical problems in a supportive and nurturing fast paced environment.

I have been working at Wolverine Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Prior to Wolverine, I worked in larger corporations. I found that while I enjoyed the work, I had to jump through hoops to truly make progress at the rate I wanted to. Innovation seemed stagnant and bureaucracy hampered a lot of technical development. I wanted a faster paced environment where I could truly make an immediate impact without having to "dance the dance". I also wanted to work on interesting high performance systems and eventually landed at Wolverine, never to look back. Some pros:

Great work life balance in a family oriented environment where everyone truly cares for each other
    Interesting and challenging technical problems where software engineers are truly given freedom to create something new or augment an existing partial solution
    In-house kitchen that serves breakfast and lunch, but not dinner; for a reason!
    Many company sponsored and employee coordinated events outside of work
    Flat organizational structure gives direct access to anyone including partners
    Dedicated education department to foster technical and personal growth. Take classes to learn more about trading, programming, public speaking, etc.
    In business for 20 years and running; the business is well diversified.
    Total compensation is commensurate with contributions

Cons

In a lot of ways, you truly define who you are in the company. The flat hierarchy allows you to carve your own way and if you have identified a problem, you are often encouraged to also find a solution and spread the knowledge. This may go against the general grain of identifying and elevating a problem for management to solve. Depending on personality types, more passive people may struggle while more assertive people may thrive. That's not to say that management doesn't fix problems, just that they encourage everyone to be assertive in identifying and fixing potential problems.

The company already has a great family atmosphere with very low turnover because of the value placed on each and every employee. Continue to reward and empower individuals who make positive contributions and identify potential leaders early on to help nurture their continued growth. Management has done a great job of listening to employees and making constructive changes to address any concerns; continue to listen make necessary changes.

8. A trading firm where you can build a lasting career

Current Employee - Options Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Options Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wolverine Trading

Pros

I genuinely enjoy going into work every day, which makes it possible for someone such as myself who is not a morning person to wake up at 6am each morning. I started my career at Wolverine as a trading intern 6 years ago, and being impressed by the firm's approach and openness, decided to join permanently thereafter. Some of the many things I enjoy about the firm include:
    1) Overwhelmingly, I have seen employees at the firm quote a sense of being part of a team and enjoying working with their coworkers as one of the things they like most about the firm; I agree. Don't fool yourself into thinking that is a common thing in the typical workplace.
    2) Your career trajectory is defined by your personal contributions and willingness to put your ideas out there; they will be heard even if you are junior, I have seen and experienced this on many occasions.
    3) We consider ourselves very much a technology firm, and while I started on the trading side, I also have a passion for technology and Wolverine allows me to bridge the gap between both sides of the business. I get to work on challenging problems and learn from developers and technologists who are more experienced than I am.
    4) Benefits, vacation, and comp are extremely fair

Cons

I can only speak from my own experience, but there truly are not any major cons. For the sake of offering something up, if you require a lot of structure the flat culture at Wolverine is less likely to offer it. That is not to say that there isn't plenty of feedback, just that the entrepreneurial environment can be difficult for people who are not willing to put their ideas out there and be proactive.

Continue to innovate our education offering as our business grows and we hire new talent

9. Opportunities abound to tackle challenging problems in an entrepreneurial environment

I have been working at Wolverine Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy working at Wolverine because I continue to be challenged with interesting projects and am given the freedom and tools to tackle them in the best way possible. With that, the company actively works towards minimizing bureaucracy and fights against the natural creep of implementing new processes to satisfy some managerial benchmark. Other things which stand out at Wolverine (in my opinion): 1) Very flat organization allows me to discuss my ideas with anyone in the company (partner or otherwise), 2) Wolverine has a proven track record of fostering continued innovation which has allowed the company to stay in business for as long as it has (which is unusual for the trading industry), 3) the company is very well diversified (not driven by a single trading strategy), 4) we actually enjoy real work/life balance with generous vacation packages and reasonable working hours, 5) many outside of work company sponsored activities which can be initiated/coordinated by anyone, 6) an active in-house education department dedicated to teaching employees about new technologies, ideas, products, etc., 7) a collection of smart individuals (traders and developers) from whom you can learn and who will continuously push you to get out of your comfort zone, 8) a strong effort by the firm to recognize the work of each individual in the firm, 9) awesome benefits.

I've been with Wolverine for almost 6 years now and, in terms of tenure, I am not the exception. Given that there's a tendency in the software industry for people to leave a company within a couple of years, I think Wolverine is getting a lot of things right.

Cons

I honestly don't have any major cons. With any problem/concern that I have encountered, I have been encouraged to find solutions to the problem and to improve the company in the process. So, while no company is perfect, Wolverine encourages everyone to speak up if they see something that doesn't make sense and to fix the problem.

With the continued growth of the company, we need to continue to instill the importance of minimizing bureaucracy and to empower individuals to speak their minds (in a constructive fashion).

10. Great place to work

I have been working at Wolverine Trading

Pros

Insightful peers and challenging environment makes Wolverine a company I want to work for.

Cons

Any shortcomings are opportunities yet to be discovered.

You're doing a great job! Continue to grow.

11. Current Employee

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Wolverine Trading full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, lots of clever people and diversified business. Lots of opportunity to develop tech skills and flexibility to experiment with different trading strategies.

Cons

Approach to business often conservative, under resourced tech dev. Often takes long to enter new markets due to latency with development.

Need to be more aggressive with respect to technology investments.