Wolverine Trading

Updated Feb 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Ross Bellick

Company that cares about employees

ProsGreat benefits, perks and casual dress code. Flat structure that makes you feel very comfortable. Lots of very smart people.

ConsI don't really have anything negative to say at this time

Highly paid telecommuter

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsManagement that trusts its people

ConsStressful when money may be lost as a result of your poor decision.

Cons outweigh the pros, depending on what you're looking for as a trader

ProsA trading job is relatively stable, and seniority counts although the management will never admit it outright. They definitely take care of those who have been there since the beginning even if they never made it to principal or partner.

ConsLow compensation compared to similar firms, especially if you do not have the seniority. Bonuses are entirely discretionary by the partners, regardless of actual contact with the partners.

Some groups are "managed" by people almost entirely removed from day-to-day contact with traders/software engineers. Many of these people do not value traders with engineering backgrounds; they prefer the pit mentality.

The company is very top-heavy and there is a low amount of opportunity to advance.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a great place to work at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe free food and snacks, pretty good hours, people are laid back. It's a pretty flat structure, which I like, but that's typical for most prop trading firms.

ConsI was grossly misled on the nature of the job during my interview. My actual role ended up being a significant downgrade from my previous one in terms of responsibilities. I was literally learning nothing and felt like I was wasting my time. Prop trading in general is a deeply troubled industry. If you want to develop actual transferable skills and learn in-depth about finance, economics, and business, stay away from prop trading.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe annual discretionary bonus structure makes it difficult to attract and retain top talent.

Great owners, excellent working environment, flat structure has pros and cons

Chicago, IL

ProsOwners are terrific people. Smart, engaged, and really value their employees.
    Benefits and perks are excellent. Free food in the cafeteria, full time chefs making breakfast and lunch. Expect to put that "freshman 15" back on in the first couple months!
    Flat org structure reduces bureaucracy.
    Lots of bright, hard-working people there.

ConsIn some instances, a lack of management leads to stasis.
    Some software developers are more concerned with job security than with production.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstall a project management regime, with best practices.

Great people, awful upper management

(Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe inhouse Eatery has one of the best salad bars around. Good benefits for singles. Friendly and helpful coworkers. Sustainability within the markets.

ConsThe majority of really good people go unnoticed. You either have to screw up a lot or spend a lot of hours there to get noticed(nothing lie investment banking though). Upper Management is different across the company, just depends on who you fall under whether or not fairness and proper management is there.. Decisions seem to be made by a select few. the vets are easy to learn from and were really welcoming. The interview process was a little scattered. New ways of thinking aren't always willing to be heard. Review wasn't about me more about them and the firm, think I said 20 words while the person rushed thru and didn't seem to be interested in my return conversation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better attention to what upper management isn't doing to retain employees, repeat and repeat. Listen more to what employees have to say because there are some people there that you don't want to lose who live and breathe the culture. The one hall of your back office people have always been attentive and friendly. I like how long your firm has been around but it may not be for me. Best of luck.

A great place to learn the business

Trader (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat educational program for both beginners and senior traders make it a great place to learn the business. Fully stocked kitchen with chef, excellent benefits.

ConsThey describe the company as a meritocracy, but that is not the case. The majority of the bonus pool is controlled by a select few, and younger traders who are better than their senior peers spend years working their way up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your senior traders get so comfortable that they are complacent. Recognize younger talent before you lose it in order to keep the company growing.

solid shop...good people, honest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood people, try to be fair

Consdiscretionary pay only, office politics

Worked for Wolverine Trading? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wolverine Trading reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wolverine Trading CEO Robert Ross Bellick. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Wolverine Trading employees.