Women & Infants Hospital

Reset
3.4
CEO

1. Research Assistant Volunteer

Pros

Amazing opportunity to learn in this environment.

Cons

Stuffy post-docs that function as your boss.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what youre doing.

2. No Advancement / Favoritism

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Providence, RI

I have been working at Women & Infants Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The physicians are incredibly nice and easy to get along with. Good healthcare coverage.

Cons

Upper management will only promote you if you are a brown noser. Even if you're hard working, super intelligent, and have mastered your job, if upper management feels even remotely threatened or challenged by your skill set, you will be blocked from advancement by any mean necessary. This means written up without warrant. Also, don't ask for a promotion. The hospital will never ever give it to you. Also, you can get laid off if you're out on maternity leave...even though that is illegal.

Advice to Management

Get it together! The hospital is failing and you're the reason why!

3. Wonderful company, very meaningful and rewarding.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Providence, RI

I worked at Women & Infants Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Women and Infants is a very wonderful company, which I think is very committed to providing the best possible service to their patients and the scientific community. I really liked my coworkers there, everyone was very friendly, committed, and positive. The work was stimulating and I felt like I was contributing. Also, the benefits are outstanding, good insurance and a huge amount of paid time off right from the start!

Cons

I sometimes felt like there was a lot of pressure to go "above and beyond" the job description, and even what the patients wanted (calling on weekends and evenings to follow-up). Also the pay is manageable, but not great.

Advice to Management

I do wish their were less pressure, as described in the cons.

5. A Center of Excellence for Women and Infants' Health Resources

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Providence, RI

I have been working at Women & Infants Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent health care for women and infants including clinic service and research areas.

Cons

There is no internal career path

Waste of time

Current Employee - Research Associate in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Providence, RI

Pros

Foreigners can get immigration to US other than that there is no reason to work at this hospital as a scientist

Cons

No professional development No personal development No career development Research building has no windows Scientists are treated as third rate citizens

Advice to Management

Shut the research center or start treating the people with respect and generate opportunities for their personal and professional growth

7. Incredibly warm environment

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Women & Infants Hospital as an intern

Pros

The relationships formed with fellow employees and patients made my experience an invaluable one

Cons

Little communication about my main point of contact; sometimes supplied little to no direction in working on the unit

Has its ups and downs

Former Employee - Database Coordinator/Analyst
    Former Employee - Database Coordinator/Analyst

Pros

Comfortable work environment Good benefits Mostly pleasant co-workers who are easy to work with Good amount of autonomy (depending on position) Part of a larger organization, with ability to move around

Cons

Bureaucratic Little to no career development Some are more equal than others Unforgiving HR dept. Low pay relative to other industries Career progress/raises/promotions based solely on a black and white job description developed by HR dept, often outdated or inaccurate.

Advice to Management

Develop written guidelines for navigating the bureaucracy, provide career development and goals for receiving promotions, allow advancement based on merit rather than letters after a person's name.

RSS Feed </> Embed