Women's Initiative

Women's Initiative Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Women's Initiative

WI has a strong culture - WI staff are very committed and passionate about their work.

Intern (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsThey provide weekly trainings for interns to gain a baseline understanding of each department/service at WI. You can choose projects that you are most interested. Interns are under professional supervision. A great place for learning!

ConsLanguage Competency: They only hire bilingual (English & Spanish) candidate since 40% of their clients speak spanish.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Excellent company helping amazing Women in the bay Area

Intern (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsNice people. It is been such a nice pleasure to work with an amazing team of people and Incredible customers that do everything to start her business and improve their professional development. It is been an excellent experience to learn and help community.

ConsLimited resources and capabilities. The company is highly dependent on Donations. There is a highly rotation of staff. IT systems are limited and it makes difficult to work efficiently. The salaries are not outstanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine, a clear strategy and make sure that all the departments of the company are well aligned following the same direction.

The work was menial

Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe San Jose office is very beautiful. The employees are also very friendly and after one is settled, it becomes like a second home. While working for Women's, not only will your work be benefiting your company, but it will also expand your horizons and give you many connections in the business world.

ConsThe job gives you lots of busy work. During my time at Women's Initiative, even though I had a college degree I was forced to make flyers and make very basic level jobs. This was the kind of work that should have been given to an intern by I was forced to do it all.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe make the work a little more challenging and give the busywork to the interns.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rich and learning experience to all sides of the non profit world.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was a tight and friendly connection with colleagues in the offices. We had really good benefits and always exposed to direct contact with the clients.

ConsDue to the economy and challenges for making the annual budget the older management team made strategic decisions that prioritized quantity over quality, and thereby lost part of its potency in fighting for the clients and its employees, focusing too much on the money making for a non-profit.

Smart people, passionate and mission-minded organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- smart people, dedicated to the mission of empowering low-income women
    - great mission!!
    - big vision to expand and help more women

Cons- could use some help with the administrative/business side of things to become even more effective in pursuing their mission

Advice to Senior Managementget books/administration in order before expanding to other locations. make sure what you're doing right now is excellent before replicating.

Pressure, pressure, pressure.

Development (Current Employee)

ProsThe mission is one that grabs you and holds you.

ConsWISE was a dream job that turned into a nightmare. The company is continuously pushing to expand operations to other major metro cities while their cash situation is so poor that we can't keep the copier running consistently. Sr. Mgmt has huge expectations for all of their employees, but the tools to reach the goals just aren't in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake accountability for your own actions instead of blaming staff and looking for someone to shift the burden to. Forego the retreats and team building crap until your financial house is in order.

Worked for Women's Initiative? Contribute to the Community!