Wonga.com

Updated January 16, 2015
2.0

Tim Weller

Badly lost its way..

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great office, which is in a great location. The salary and benefits are good, but not on a par with many other large companies in Dublin. There are still some fantastic people working there. There will be plenty of opportunity for the willing over the coming months as some folks leave..

Cons

Cancelled Christmas party for no good reason apart from blind panic. Morale is as low as I have ever seen in any workplace, and honestly no one cares. Letting key skilled staff leave. No clear direction as to where company is heading into the new year makes it very hard to recommend as a place to work.

Stop the panic, stop good people leaving, communicate some kind of company direction..

If I knew now....

Current Employee - Technical in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time

Pros

Amazing people, they are some of the most talented people I have had the pleasure of working with. Also you will learn how not to do things.

Cons

The management is lacking direction, vision and won't ask for information. And, the backlash you get when you tell anyone where you work; you'll quickly learn to say Finance not Wonga.

Listen to your staff, they are an incredible group of people and you have sidelined them when making decisions, use the data available to you when making decisions don't just act on instinct, keep your promises.

Such Potential wasted

Former Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, I can't stress this enough, the developers who work (or worked in many cases as so many have left) are amazing.

In my time at Wonga I learned more then I had at any other company, I dealt with new challenges every day and worked with amazing people along the way.

The Dublin office is also a great space to work in, its unique, modern and has alot of nice benefits. The London office I'll mention in Cons...

The salary and compensation is generally very good, if you're a good developer and prove yourself to be valuable they will reward you.

Cons

The culture, its gone, there was one when I started but its been killed over time in favour of growth at any cost.

The management team, there are a few good eggs in there but in general they don't listen to employees, make decisions behind closed doors and ask too much of some employees and not enough off others.

The CTO, this has to be mentioned, the man is a curse to the business, his attitude towards employees stinks, he doesn't listen and spouts opinion without any validation of his ideas, he started as the interim CTO because they couldn't keep one because the role is so challenging and they settled for him as they couldn't find someone else, he single handedly is killing the tech culture.

The London office, beautiful location but I'm not sure who they had in to do the work and design but it just doesn't work, all hard surfaces means for a very noisy office, long corridor type feel to the entire place means you'll completely miss people.

Start prioritising your employees again, please, this was a great place to work at one time but sadly employees are no longer the priority and this is killing them and your culture.

The CTO, if you could make one change today that will change things for the better its remove him.

Today is my last day, this is as honest a review as I can come up with

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are great. There is not a single person I have worked with at Wonga who I would not like to remain friends with in the future. Additionally, there are a number of people who I have worked with who are incredibly talented developers. In my 1.5 years at the company I have learned a great deal.

The way developers are managed by the business has not always been great historically, but the new management structure that has been put in place has already made a huge difference to the general morale. There is a constant drive to improve the way Software Development is being done, and in my time here, I have seen drastic improvements.

The salary and benefits package is competitive. There is also great potential for growth within the business, I received a very generous pay increase within my first year.

The main thing I have appreciated while working here has been the opportunity to learn an incredible amount. I was given the opportunity to learn new programming languages, work with cutting edge technology and learn from some of the best developers I've ever met.

Cons

The office is really noisy. This is a big problem. I tried really hard to get facilities to do something about it (we had some meetings) but no matter what was said, I really don't think they fully grasp the importance of quiet in an office mostly filled with Software Developers. I hope something does change in the future as I suspect productivity is reduce by at least 30% because of constant interruption.

The business moves really fast, and often this results in hard work going unnoticed, and very often results in effort being wasted (and later discarded). This can be demotivating - it happened to me a lot. I had 4 projects canned in my time at Wonga and this was the reason I ultimately decided to leave.

Moving from a "startup" style business to a corporate can be a painful experience for the staff at times. I am not sure if Wonga have handled it better or worse than other companies because I've never been part of that experience before.

Give more control to Software Development Managers and Tech Leads to control the speed and direction of Tech. Think about the individuals and how business decisions will affect them. I think this has started to happen already, and the difference is already noticeable.

Sort out the noise in the office. Putting developers in a cramped, noisy, open plan office is false economy.

avoid like the plague

Current Employee - Programmer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Programmer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is difficult to give a pro about this company, they had such an opportunity to create great technology and they lost it.

Cons

asked us to cancel our Xmas holidays to meet a deadline, this is not the first time they have done this to me.
    Never ask us our opinions on anything.
    code monkey mentality from the managers.
    moves people around teams every couple of weeks, no continuity.
    new senior management coming in, all from the same company and are begging to outsource everything.
    clueless communication, even if there is a plan(which i doubt) nobody knows what it is.

What is the point , they never listen

Avoid at all costs, worst technology culture ever

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly profitable company, expanding at a fast rate, good pay, nice new office, my peers were genuine and wanted to create a ethical company.

Cons

totally abysmal technology management, They have 100's of tech staff but appears incapable of making the slightest improvement. Everything is tied up in so much red tape that trying to make changes to the code base takes longer and longer, the product team have no concept of basic product ownership. constant deadlines and doing releases at unsociable hours was the last nail in the coffin

strip it back and start from scratch,

Room for improvement

Current Employee - Customer Support Agent in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Customer Support Agent in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My customer support team mates. Wonga is full of intelligent staff with a wealth of experience and they are an absolute joy to work with. Wonga are trying to create a good work environment and striving for the feel of the larger American companies out there. They started well and constantly provided little treats to keep motivation and energy up and celebrated whenever they could. Unfortunately since moving building in Mar 14 a lot of the perks have disappeared. Teams have scattered to different parts of the building rarely to be seen and the shared joy of our free lunch Friday has been replaced by a 'subsidized' canteen that offers no atmosphere and little relief from the day work. Wonga would greatly benefit from revisiting the previous company attitude they had just a few months ago that made the whole company feel like a team rather than the separate clogs of the big machine they are attempting to become.

Cons

I can only speak about the customer service dept - The brilliant staff are undervalued and progression is near impossible. There is no attempt to show appreciation for the staff and while promises of staff consideration and better opportunities are spoke of often the reality is that these changes are a while off yet. Wonga need to start hiring on mass and stop letting valuable staff and their vast knowledge walk out the door. Needs dictate that Wonga concentrate on their customers rather than staff but this has meant a complete disregard for current employees. They were previously on the right track but since moving buildings they have got rid of free lunches, celebrate nothing, the free drinks on Friday have been confined to the tech and possibly fraud as the games room is on the other side of the building to the customer service agents. All the elements are there to make this a good place to work but there is no time offered to enjoy the facilities. They have also revoked internet access on agents PCs removing the option to spend your break at your desk using the internet.

Staff development. Meet with your staff and find out how they are feeling and what they require. You have intelligent staff who could be used to fill supervisor/team lead roles but instead these roles remain empty? Utilise the people under your nose. If asked they would tell you that they want to get ahead, that they would be happy to stay here and remain loyal to Wonga. But if that respect is not reciprocated you will find yourself with no tenured agents and you will lose valuable knowledge regarding account and customer handling. Turn your attentions inwards and start appreciating your current staff before they all walk out the door.

I have approved the current CEO Tim Weller, good man so far.

Unethical disintegrating company. Waste of some good talent.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some really good talent in Product and Engineering.

Cons

Unethical company that made hundreds of millions of dollars for founders and investors on (mostly) the back of financially strapped consumers.
    CEO founder impossible.
    Both founders, CEO, COO, Chairman of the Board, several Eng leaders, Product leaders gone.
    What's left?

Pivot or exit

Fast paced tech company that provides good opportunities

I have been working at Wonga.com

Pros

Tech group continually trying to improve. Company still has good startup spirit. Good benefits. A lot of smart people. And nice office.

Cons

It's a company just out of startup mode and is growing up fast. This means a lot of change as it becomes a corporate.

Do your best to keep the tech startup spirit alive!

Profitable company poor technology management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very profitable company. There are lovely intelligent staff. Really good ideas on how IT systems should be managed.

Cons

Technology is being run into the ground. We run from one fire to another, There is a large blame culture.
    IT systems appear to have an inability to actually change
    Every other level of the company seems to have a poor relationship with technology because of this.

Invest in proper technology managment. There is a wealth of frameworks or companies that could be used to help you out with this.