Wonga.com

1.9

Tim Weller
1 Rating

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Today is my last day, this is as honest a review as I can come up with

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are great. There is not a single person I have worked with at Wonga who I would not like to remain friends with in the future. Additionally, there are a number of people who I have worked with who are incredibly talented developers. In my 1.5 years at the company I have learned a great deal.

The way developers are managed by the business has not always been great historically, but the new management structure that has been put in place has already made a huge difference to the general morale. There is a constant drive to improve the way Software Development is being done, and in my time here, I have seen drastic improvements.

The salary and benefits package is competitive. There is also great potential for growth within the business, I received a very generous pay increase within my first year.

The main thing I have appreciated while working here has been the opportunity to learn an incredible amount. I was given the opportunity to learn new programming languages, work with cutting edge technology and learn from some of the best developers I've ever met.

Cons

The office is really noisy. This is a big problem. I tried really hard to get facilities to do something about it (we had some meetings) but no matter what was said, I really don't think they fully grasp the importance of quiet in an office mostly filled with Software Developers. I hope something does change in the future as I suspect productivity is reduce by at least 30% because of constant interruption.

The business moves really fast, and often this results in hard work going unnoticed, and very often results in effort being wasted (and later discarded). This can be demotivating - it happened to me a lot. I had 4 projects canned in my time at Wonga and this was the reason I ultimately decided to leave.

Moving from a "startup" style business to a corporate can be a painful experience for the staff at times. I am not sure if Wonga have handled it better or worse than other companies because I've never been part of that experience before.

Give more control to Software Development Managers and Tech Leads to control the speed and direction of Tech. Think about the individuals and how business decisions will affect them. I think this has started to happen already, and the difference is already noticeable.

Sort out the noise in the office. Putting developers in a cramped, noisy, open plan office is false economy.

avoid like the plague

Current Employee - Programmer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Programmer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is difficult to give a pro about this company, they had such an opportunity to create great technology and they lost it.

Cons

asked us to cancel our Xmas holidays to meet a deadline, this is not the first time they have done this to me.
    Never ask us our opinions on anything.
    code monkey mentality from the managers.
    moves people around teams every couple of weeks, no continuity.
    new senior management coming in, all from the same company and are begging to outsource everything.
    clueless communication, even if there is a plan(which i doubt) nobody knows what it is.

What is the point , they never listen

Avoid at all costs, worst technology culture ever

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly profitable company, expanding at a fast rate, good pay, nice new office, my peers were genuine and wanted to create a ethical company.

Cons

totally abysmal technology management, They have 100's of tech staff but appears incapable of making the slightest improvement. Everything is tied up in so much red tape that trying to make changes to the code base takes longer and longer, the product team have no concept of basic product ownership. constant deadlines and doing releases at unsociable hours was the last nail in the coffin

strip it back and start from scratch,

Unethical disintegrating company. Waste of some good talent.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some really good talent in Product and Engineering.

Cons

Unethical company that made hundreds of millions of dollars for founders and investors on (mostly) the back of financially strapped consumers.
    CEO founder impossible.
    Both founders, CEO, COO, Chairman of the Board, several Eng leaders, Product leaders gone.
    What's left?

Pivot or exit

Fast paced tech company that provides good opportunities

I have been working at Wonga.com

Pros

Tech group continually trying to improve. Company still has good startup spirit. Good benefits. A lot of smart people. And nice office.

Cons

It's a company just out of startup mode and is growing up fast. This means a lot of change as it becomes a corporate.

Do your best to keep the tech startup spirit alive!

Profitable company poor technology management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very profitable company. There are lovely intelligent staff. Really good ideas on how IT systems should be managed.

Cons

Technology is being run into the ground. We run from one fire to another, There is a large blame culture.
    IT systems appear to have an inability to actually change
    Every other level of the company seems to have a poor relationship with technology because of this.

Invest in proper technology managment. There is a wealth of frameworks or companies that could be used to help you out with this.

Good people, bad management

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff are good natured and there are some really smart engineers there. Dublin office is nice, has just been done up. London office is nice too but the Dublin lads got a better deal than us.

Cons

The politics. Senior management has created a toxic environment where everyone cuts each other's throats in order to get anywhere. Technology is as flexible as concrete. Competitors will very quickly eat wongas lunch as a result.

CTO is destroying the tech department. Developers are treated like children. He has his favourites which he rotates every so often. It's all command and control. Avoid.

Take a REAL close look at tech. Morale is incredibly low. If you're not careful you could have an exodus on your hands

Horrible management

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good location, team mates are generally nice, salary is ok.

Cons

Horrible management. No place to grow. No promotion from with in, unless you suck up to the bosses. No value to your work. When they let you go, they do it in a very unprofessional fashion, even though they don't think so. A lot of people leavening due to these things.
    If you see many ads on hiring the same positions all the time that tells you something.

Get rid of the ones you have, hire real professionals with experience in managing people. Value your employees and create a non suck up environment,

Questionable ethics, questionable leader

Current Employee - Engineering in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineering in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Profitable company, solid VC backing, some really smart & some really nice people (some are both)

Cons

The ugly stuff you read in the press about Wonga's business model is true and then some. Most of the business is based on people taking loan after loan and very likely borrowing from other short term lenders to pay back their loans with Wonga.

Stop the lies both inside and outside. The problems come from the top as some of the managers seem to genuinely want to introduce change and transparency but that minority is too silent or simply doesn't seem to stay long enough.

best place to work at

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

surrounded by great people who have amazing experiences and are not afraid to try new things.

Cons

office space and the way things are tested is a bit of a challenge at the min