Wonga.com Reviews

Reset
2.8
Tim Weller

1. Great people

Pros

Really smart people Used to have a great product Strong international team There's a lot to improve Nice office Good location

Cons

Bad management Bad culture No values Regulation is pretty much trying to kill the industry Future doesn't look bright

2. Great people, changing culture and direction

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonga is full of smart people trying to build innovative financial products. It is both a tech company and a finance company, and you'll be working with people with great experience in both areas.

Cons

Wonga's culture is changing thanks largely to new management. It's something that's going to take a while and there's a lot of uncertainty in the meantime. On the tech side of things, they're overstretched. Everyone wants to do good work, but it doesn't always happen.

Advice to Management

Invest more in the tech stack, enable more innovation.

3. Was a good company

Former Employee - Decision Science Analyst
    Former Employee - Decision Science Analyst

Pros

It was a good company with great ambition, well organized sprint planning and retro, easily to access management. Very smart people

Cons

Since regulation, it became more and more like bank without innovation. Cannot see the great plan. Maybe licence is more important than anything else

5. Decision Scientist

Former Employee - Decision Scientist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Decision Scientist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very smart team and - Good exposure to business - Analyst get responsibilities quite fast

Cons

- Lack of good direction from management - Trailing issue due to past decision

Advice to Management

- Listen more from lower level analyst - Strengthen feature before starting new ones

Fraud

Pros

Learn lots which aided devolopement

Cons

No solid career career path

Advice to Management

More structured career path

7. A great experience with awesome people

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some patches of really excellent technology Lots of strong engineering talent (even though a lot has left) Interesting, intelligent people across the business Exposure to high end practises, multiple technologies and programming languages Cool offices I personally had a great time, experiencing rapid growth with interesting technology

Cons

Recent board level management has unfortunately damaged the culture Technology is no longer at the centre of the business

Advice to Management

I hope once Wonga is back on it's feet it resurrects it's technology roots and genuinely attempts to disrupt the finance space once again.

If I knew now....

Current Employee - Technical in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time

Pros

Amazing people, they are some of the most talented people I have had the pleasure of working with. Also you will learn how not to do things.

Cons

The management is lacking direction, vision and won't ask for information. And, the backlash you get when you tell anyone where you work; you'll quickly learn to say Finance not Wonga.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, they are an incredible group of people and you have sidelined them when making decisions, use the data available to you when making decisions don't just act on instinct, keep your promises.

9. Today is my last day, this is as honest a review as I can come up with

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great. There is not a single person I have worked with at Wonga who I would not like to remain friends with in the future. Additionally, there are a number of people who I have worked with who are incredibly talented developers. In my 1.5 years at the company I have learned a great deal. The way developers are managed by the business has not always been great historically, but the new management structure that has been put in place has already made a huge difference to the general morale. There is a constant drive to improve the way Software Development is being done, and in my time here, I have seen drastic improvements. The salary and benefits package is competitive. There is also great potential for growth within the business, I received a very generous pay increase within my first year. The main thing I have appreciated while working here has been the opportunity to learn an incredible amount. I was given the opportunity to learn new programming languages, work with cutting edge technology and learn from some of the best developers I've ever met.

Cons

The office is really noisy. This is a big problem. I tried really hard to get facilities to do something about it (we had some meetings) but no matter what was said, I really don't think they fully grasp the importance of quiet in an office mostly filled with Software Developers. I hope something does change in the future as I suspect productivity is reduce by at least 30% because of constant interruption. The business moves really fast, and often this results in hard work going unnoticed, and very often results in effort being wasted (and later discarded). This can be demotivating - it happened to me a lot. I had 4 projects canned in my time at Wonga and this was the reason I ultimately decided to leave. Moving from a "startup" style business to a corporate can be a painful experience for the staff at times. I am not sure if Wonga have handled it better or worse than other companies because I've never been part of that experience before.

Advice to Management

Give more control to Software Development Managers and Tech Leads to control the speed and direction of Tech. Think about the individuals and how business decisions will affect them. I think this has started to happen already, and the difference is already noticeable. Sort out the noise in the office. Putting developers in a cramped, noisy, open plan office is false economy.

avoid like the plague

Current Employee - Programmer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Programmer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Wonga.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is difficult to give a pro about this company, they had such an opportunity to create great technology and they lost it.

Cons

asked us to cancel our Xmas holidays to meet a deadline, this is not the first time they have done this to me. Never ask us our opinions on anything. code monkey mentality from the managers. moves people around teams every couple of weeks, no continuity. new senior management coming in, all from the same company and are begging to outsource everything. clueless communication, even if there is a plan(which i doubt) nobody knows what it is.

Advice to Management

What is the point , they never listen

Avoid at all costs, worst technology culture ever

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Wonga.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly profitable company, expanding at a fast rate, good pay, nice new office, my peers were genuine and wanted to create a ethical company.

Cons

totally abysmal technology management, They have 100's of tech staff but appears incapable of making the slightest improvement. Everything is tied up in so much red tape that trying to make changes to the code base takes longer and longer, the product team have no concept of basic product ownership. constant deadlines and doing releases at unsociable hours was the last nail in the coffin

Advice to Management

strip it back and start from scratch,

RSS Feed </> Embed