Wonga.com

Add Photos

Wonga.com CEO Errol Damelin

Errol Damelin

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fast paced tech company that provides good opportunities

ProsTech group continually trying to improve. Company still has good startup spirit. Good benefits. A lot of smart people. And nice office.

ConsIt's a company just out of startup mode and is growing up fast. This means a lot of change as it becomes a corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your best to keep the tech startup spirit alive!

Horrible management

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood location, team mates are generally nice, salary is ok.

ConsHorrible management. No place to grow. No promotion from with in, unless you suck up to the bosses. No value to your work. When they let you go, they do it in a very unprofessional fashion, even though they don't think so. A lot of people leavening due to these things.
    If you see many ads on hiring the same positions all the time that tells you something.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the ones you have, hire real professionals with experience in managing people. Value your employees and create a non suck up environment,

Good people, bad management

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe staff are good natured and there are some really smart engineers there. Dublin office is nice, has just been done up. London office is nice too but the Dublin lads got a better deal than us.

ConsThe politics. Senior management has created a toxic environment where everyone cuts each other's throats in order to get anywhere. Technology is as flexible as concrete. Competitors will very quickly eat wongas lunch as a result.

CTO is destroying the tech department. Developers are treated like children. He has his favourites which he rotates every so often. It's all command and control. Avoid.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a REAL close look at tech. Morale is incredibly low. If you're not careful you could have an exodus on your hands

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Questionable ethics, questionable leader

Engineering (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsProfitable company, solid VC backing, some really smart & some really nice people (some are both)

ConsThe ugly stuff you read in the press about Wonga's business model is true and then some. Most of the business is based on people taking loan after loan and very likely borrowing from other short term lenders to pay back their loans with Wonga.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the lies both inside and outside. The problems come from the top as some of the managers seem to genuinely want to introduce change and transparency but that minority is too silent or simply doesn't seem to stay long enough.

best place to work at

Software QA Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prossurrounded by great people who have amazing experiences and are not afraid to try new things.

Consoffice space and the way things are tested is a bit of a challenge at the min

Worked for Wonga.com? Contribute to the Community!