Wood Consulting

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Wood Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

WOOD Consulting Services, Inc. is a great place to work. Like most small businesses, the 2013 calendar year has been challenging. I like the fact that the President herself has step up and involved herself in all activities to include Human Resources. When asked why she is so involved ... her response was "Why Not". You as an employee is very important to WOOD and I am happy that the market changes now allow me the opportunity to get to know you personally and refocus the company strategically.

Cons

Working as a government contractor for 2012 and 2013 has been very challenging. Our customer has increased their priorities requiring us to work harder with fewer staff. I'm learning a lot but sometimes I have a lot of projects to coordinate during a short time span.

Stay connected! We are moving in a positive direction.

A Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Associate Technical Writer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Technical Writer in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

You don't have to work hard at all to get everything done here. You get to pick what time you want to come in and what time you want to leave after you've served your 8 hours.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. No HR department whatsoever. You know it's bad when HR jumps ship. High turnover, low salaries (compared to other local salaries), and constantly changing style guides. Technical writers are slaves to management's sporadic decisions and moods.

I have no advise to management because, in management's own words, "There are some things that we will not change, period."

Wood Consulting Response

Oct 31, 2013President/CEO

It is important for everyone to understand the economy and decisions employees and employers make in running their business. WOOD has been operating with two full-time human resource professionals ... More

This place is bad. Wasn't going to review until I saw the recent, suspiciously positive ratings.

Former Employee - Technical Writer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Disclaimer: this review concerns the DC office of technical writers

This is an okay first job for new grads desperate for experience and willing to "pay their dues" in the hopes of getting a better job down the road.
    Good benefits.
    Convenient metro-accessible location.
    Friendly and eclectic coworkers.

Cons

Awful pay.
    Tense work environment.
    Highly unprofessional, disorganized, and inefficient people in management positions.
    Uneven distribution of work leaves a few employees overloaded and the others desperate for something to do.
    Bad relationship with clients due to the high employee turnover rate.

Not sure where to start here... yikes. Bottom line, stop hiring people with 5 years experience and hoping they stick around. The work isn't challenging or interesting enough to retain them and the office environment is depressing. Entry-level is really the way to go.

Wood Consulting Response

Oct 31, 2013President/CEO

I'm happy the submitter noticed the "recent, suspiciously positive ratings" - its working! To address the "Awful pay" comments, WOOD is a federal contractor operating in an environment in which the ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Couldn't be happier with WOOD

I have been working at Wood Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

family-like atmosphere, company really cares about you, senior management very interactive with employees, great benefits, great salary, great work/life balance, best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

can't think of any cons with this company.

keep up the great work!

Great Small Business

I have been working at Wood Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Was on contract with wood for 3 years and enjoyed working for the company. I was hired right out of school and given great opportunities.

Cons

Can't think of anything right now. I have stayed this long for a reason.

Keep up the great work. The corporate staff really seems to be working to keep the company running and growing.

Great Company with awesome benefits

I have been working at Wood Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Been with the company for 5 years and have been promoted twice. The benefits are awesome, the staff is very friendly. Basically to not succeed at this company you have to be terrible at your job. If you work hard and represent the company in a positive way as well as work to better yourself by using the tuition reimbursement the sky is the limit.

Cons

At this point I don't have any cons about the company. It's run really well and going to work is fun.

Atmosphere you can cut with a knife.

Current Employee - Associate Technical Writer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Technical Writer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Wood Consulting as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

If you live downtown DC, it's very centrally located.

Cons

Most employees are drastically underpaid.
    Lay-offs with short notice and no explanation mean everyone is on-edge.
    Internal guides are constantly changing- there is no consistency.
    Project manager is too busy to do her own job.
    Annual raises barely cover inflation.
    Extremely high turnover before lay-offs ever started.
    The company is still living in the stone age re: hard copy edits and fear of the computer.

Replace the project manager with someone who can streamline the entire process.

No Communication and No Follow Thru

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Staff Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Staff Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved my coworkers, loved my team at the FAA

Cons

No communication with HR. Horrible salary - they pay well beneath the standard with a promise to steadily increase - but never do. You can work there for years and they will never move you up of compensate you for your experience.
    I referred a friend to the company when I was leaving the company and they agreed to pay me a referral bonus up until the day that I should have been paid and then suddenly they found a new stipulation that made me ineligible. They were not willing to discuss the issue and refused to answer phone calls. I will NEVER refer another person to this company.
    When situations would happen while I was on contract HR was almost always unreachable and if they did answer the phone they were "unaware" of the situation or "not able" to fix anything.

Treat your employees better!

Three Years.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Technical Writer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Technical Writer in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthy Salary, Insurance Benefits, Annual/Sick Leave as a Federal Government contractor. It appears like a permanent position. Reimburses education.

Cons

No interactions with contractors and clients together. Terrible 1950's read-the-binder training. Too far away from Washington DC. Left empty handed.

Wood Consulting is loosing good reliable contractors.

Thoughts from a contractor

Current Employee - Technical Writer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Wood Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Once you've been there for a few months, there are many opportunities to take on new responsibilities. Great benefits package. Really nice people.

Cons

I had little to no work to do each day during my 3 month training period and the following few months. There is a lot of turn-over of employees, which means having to take on other people's projects when they leave. Infrequent opportunities for raises or promotions.

Concentrate on keeping the employees you have rather than replacing them.

Worked for Wood Consulting? Contribute to the Community!