Wood Consulting Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
CEO

Wonderful small company to work for that's led by a dynamo!

Former Employee - Data Analyst Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Data Analyst Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dr. Wood is an inspiring woman who has built a company from the ground up. She leads by example and handles many aspects of her business single-handedly, from HR to Business Development.

For the contract I was on, the salary and benefits were competitive, even against companies many times the size of Wood (i.e. publicly traded full-fledged consulting firms).

Cons

The challenges working here were just those specific to government contracting in general (uncertainty about long-term prospects, internally or otherwise). For self-directed people who value independence and don't need constant support and frequent interfacing with front office, this is a great company to work for (especially if you want to work as a government contractor).

Advice to Management

Just keep up the good work. If it weren't for a move that brought me to another state, I would have stayed at Wood.

2. Not Worth Your Time, Talent, or Value as an Asset to a Company

Pros

Pros:
    *You're employed and can pay your bills.
    *The education and training benefit has a value higher than typical to the DC market.

Cons

*Has paid workers less than they were supposed to by law and/or contractual agreement with a client, which led to a thorough investigation and ended with backpay for affected parties.
    *Hostile work environment
    *General sense of work-site management not trusting workers and workers not trusting work-site management and/or HQ/Executive leadership
    *Work-site management treats workers as though they are dispensible.
    *Favoritism runs rampant (and is not tied to quality/quantity of work products)
    *Work-site managers give conflicting direction to workers, which can vary day to day and have domino effects such as giving client impression that workers are unorganized/incompetent
    *HR doesn’t take action on issues that are reported.
    *Executive leadership doesn’t take action on issues that are reported.
    *HQ/Executive leadership is very disconnected from what happens at non-HQ work locations.
    *HQ/Executive leadership rarely, if at all, engages employees working at non-HQ work locations to gauge employee morale and job satisfaction
    *Very little room for career growth.

Advice to Management

Do more to show employees that you value them as assets to the company by paying them comparable to the DC job market for their skills and abilities and showing them that their voices matter so that they know they can trust you and aren’t just another body helping to pay overhead costs.
    Regularly engage employees at work-site locations to gauge their morale and job satisfaction, and take action when the results are not in your favor.
    Create and maintain a truly open door policy by reaching out to employees to see if there any problems, issues, or concerns that they have that you can help them resolve and if they do, then actually DO something to help them find a resolution.
    Open communication with your HR personnel to find out what issues have arisen at work-site locations each month and track those issues to resolution.

Stay Far Away

Former Employee - Technical Writer/Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technical Writer/Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The other technical writers were great to work with while they lasted, and helped alleviate stress about perpetual firings, high turnover, erratic decision making, and inconsistent workloads. After the company had to raise the pay rate the compensation became competitive for similar positions in DC (although over a year later promised back-pay reimbursement checks have still not been sent). The office is in a good enough location.

Cons

Where to begin?

Incredibly high turnover. 15+ employees rotated through technical writer positions in just over a year, either fired without warning in knee-jerk reactions to fluctuations in the workload or quitting for more stable jobs elsewhere. New employees were hired immediately after the firings to backfill for open positions, while those still at Wood kept an eye on the door.

Conflicting guidelines. The training materials and internal documents were an incoherent and error-riddled mess -not encouraging for a technical writing office! Editorial guidelines established many years earlier and never fully updated were constantly being amended with conflicting information at the whim of management/clients. This made ensuring correct content almost impossible.

Inconsistent workloads. Complicated editorial assignments often changed hands several times mid-project before completion as their original writers were fired or quit. This left some employees with too much work and others with almost none (one employee even slept at his desk on a daily basis).

Advice to Management

An outside point of view is needed, as management is too embedded to see the problems and solutions.

5. A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Wood Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WOOD Consulting Services, Inc. is a great place to work. Like most small businesses, the 2013 calendar year has been challenging. I like the fact that the President herself has step up and involved herself in all activities to include Human Resources. When asked why she is so involved ... her response was "Why Not". You as an employee is very important to WOOD and I am happy that the market changes now allow me the opportunity to get to know you personally and refocus the company strategically.

Cons

Working as a government contractor for 2012 and 2013 has been very challenging. Our customer has increased their priorities requiring us to work harder with fewer staff. I'm learning a lot but sometimes I have a lot of projects to coordinate during a short time span.

Advice to Management

Stay connected! We are moving in a positive direction.

A Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Associate Technical Writer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Technical Writer in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You don't have to work hard at all to get everything done here. You get to pick what time you want to come in and what time you want to leave after you've served your 8 hours.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. No HR department whatsoever. You know it's bad when HR jumps ship. High turnover, low salaries (compared to other local salaries), and constantly changing style guides. Technical writers are slaves to management's sporadic decisions and moods.

Advice to Management

I have no advise to management because, in management's own words, "There are some things that we will not change, period."

Wood Consulting Response

Oct 31, 2013President/CEO

It is important for everyone to understand the economy and decisions employees and employers make in running their business. WOOD has been operating with two full-time human resource professionals ... More

This place is bad. Wasn't going to review until I saw the recent, suspiciously positive ratings.

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Disclaimer: this review concerns the DC office of technical writers

This is an okay first job for new grads desperate for experience and willing to "pay their dues" in the hopes of getting a better job down the road.
    Good benefits.
    Convenient metro-accessible location.
    Friendly and eclectic coworkers.

Cons

Awful pay.
    Tense work environment.
    Highly unprofessional, disorganized, and inefficient people in management positions.
    Uneven distribution of work leaves a few employees overloaded and the others desperate for something to do.
    Bad relationship with clients due to the high employee turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Not sure where to start here... yikes. Bottom line, stop hiring people with 5 years experience and hoping they stick around. The work isn't challenging or interesting enough to retain them and the office environment is depressing. Entry-level is really the way to go.

Wood Consulting Response

Oct 31, 2013President/CEO

I'm happy the submitter noticed the "recent, suspiciously positive ratings" - its working! To address the "Awful pay" comments, WOOD is a federal contractor operating in an environment in which the ... More

Great Small Business

I have been working at Wood Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was on contract with wood for 3 years and enjoyed working for the company. I was hired right out of school and given great opportunities.

Cons

Can't think of anything right now. I have stayed this long for a reason.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The corporate staff really seems to be working to keep the company running and growing.

Couldn't be happier with WOOD

I have been working at Wood Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

family-like atmosphere, company really cares about you, senior management very interactive with employees, great benefits, great salary, great work/life balance, best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

can't think of any cons with this company.

Advice to Management

keep up the great work!

Great Company with awesome benefits

I have been working at Wood Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Been with the company for 5 years and have been promoted twice. The benefits are awesome, the staff is very friendly. Basically to not succeed at this company you have to be terrible at your job. If you work hard and represent the company in a positive way as well as work to better yourself by using the tuition reimbursement the sky is the limit.

Cons

At this point I don't have any cons about the company. It's run really well and going to work is fun.

No Communication and No Follow Thru

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Staff Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Staff Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Wood Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved my coworkers, loved my team at the FAA

Cons

No communication with HR. Horrible salary - they pay well beneath the standard with a promise to steadily increase - but never do. You can work there for years and they will never move you up of compensate you for your experience.
    I referred a friend to the company when I was leaving the company and they agreed to pay me a referral bonus up until the day that I should have been paid and then suddenly they found a new stipulation that made me ineligible. They were not willing to discuss the issue and refused to answer phone calls. I will NEVER refer another person to this company.
    When situations would happen while I was on contract HR was almost always unreachable and if they did answer the phone they were "unaware" of the situation or "not able" to fix anything.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better!

RSS Feed </> Embed