Wood Group Mustang Reviews

Reset
3.7
Wood Group Mustang President Steve Knowles
Steve Knowles

Pros
  • Good work environment that is relatively low stress (in 14 reviews)

• Great for people with families looking for stable employment that supports work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are too many senior managers (over 35 Vice Presidents) that provide little to no value to the organization (in 3 reviews)

• Long reputed as being a family oriented company, its association with Wood Group has reduced it to just another profit and loss balance sheet (in 4 reviews)

1. Great company

I worked at Wood Group Mustang full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Work life balance, project driven, people oriented.

Cons

Limit to working over 40-45 hours

Advice to Management

Build a gym for your workers

2. Mechanical Facilities Engineer

Former Employee - Mechanical Facilities Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanical Facilities Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Group Mustang full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work, nice people to work with and very professional in all disciplines. I have worked at Mustang over six years 2005-2011 and then again 2013-2015. The folks at Mustang are the best in the Engineering Business and people should be proud to be a Mustanger.

Cons

I have no cons with Mustang. Mustang is the best engineering firm in Houston and offers the best engineers in the business

Advice to Management

Mustang management is also the best in the engineering business and should also be proud to be a Mustanger.

3. mustang

Former Employee - Senior Structural Design/Checker in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Structural Design/Checker in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Wood Group Mustang full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great atmosphere, above average pay, above average benefits, modern offices with state of the art office equipment, good location on the west side of houston

Cons

There is a definite inside clique based on seniority rather than talent, only materializes when the work load with projects gets slow creating a situation of many senior positions held by those who would be a liability at many other companies

Advice to Management

obtain more projects and be a bit more progressive with a keen eye on cultural differences with less arrogance

5. Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Wood Group Mustang full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, everyone works hard to help each other in work and outside of work.

Cons

Benefits aren't that great in comparison to other companies. PTO is at least a week less than other companies for a new employee. They don't have educational/tuition assistance for everyone.

Advice to Management

Increase PTO and offer tuition assistance to all employees.

6. Overall, great place to work...but lately it has changed

Current Employee - Structural Designer in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Structural Designer in Katy, TX

I have been working at Wood Group Mustang full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries, great benefits, good family/work balance, flexible schedule (choose to work 4-10s, 9/80 or 5 day work weeks). The company has the lowest turnover rate of any of the oil/gas competitors, they work extremely hard to keep good employees even when the workload gets slow. I've seen offshore people get transferred to onshore to keep them busy and also learn something new, and vice versa. Bottom line, if you're a good employee, you handle your business, they will do their absolute best to shift you around somewhere to avoid being let go. It's an effort on their part that I will never forget because, like most others, they could've easily sent so many people home right away when times got rough...but they didn't, they at least tried to find ways to keep people busy.

Cons

The Mustang culture that Mustang was renowned for, has gradually been phased out since the merger with Wood Group. All the perks, and employee goodies (such as employee anniversary appreciation gifts and company parties) have pretty much dissipated this year. Granted, I realize such things cost money and perhaps they have been cutting costs until work aggressively picks up again. But the fact that they never communicated to us what's going on, why those events and perks have been phased out is just something respectable. If it's to save money and costs, then just say so. But if it's to phase out a culture that made the old Mustang so one-of-a-kind, then we've become just like "the rest." An extremely notable weak link in the company, is employee development/training. I have been here for 7 years and so far it has been like pulling teeth to get any training sessions going. It's not that they never have them, it's just extremely disorganized. It's basically a learn as you go, or have someone on your project who knows a particular software come by and give you a crash course. It's one of the things I miss with Fluor, they'd regularly hold design training schools for new and existing employees.

Advice to Management

Don't have so many management positions, I have never seen so many upper management people in one company...and some seem like made-up positions that do not seem to serve a real purpose or benefit for the company. Don't phase out the original Mustang culture for good, it's what made "Mustang Engineering" different from the rest. Even when people left the company, they wouldn't think twice about being re-hired. You risk losing good people who will not think twice of moving elsewhere for more pay if the culture becomes the same as the rest, non-existent. They will think "well if it's going to be like the other companies, I might as well leave and get paid more...". Like I said, it could be a temporary "hiatus" since things are slow, but just be careful if your plans are indeed to phase out the original "Mustang" culture for good, that's all.

7. Just OK..

Former Employee - Automation Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Automation Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Wood Group Mustang full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Contracted work is typically time and materials. This means you get paid for every hour you work... Which is nice.

Cons

I never receive one performance review while employed at this company. It didn't seem to be part of there process.

Advice to Management

Take stock in the interests of your employees. They may get bored and quit.

8. Senior Piping Designer

Current Employee - Senior Piping Designer in Deer Park, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Piping Designer in Deer Park, TX

I have been working at Wood Group Mustang full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very family oriented. Longevity of employment.

Cons

Change in management. Pay lower than average.

Executive Assistant/ROW Agent I

Former Employee - Right of Way Agent I in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Right of Way Agent I in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Wood Group Mustang full-time

Pros

Great company, benefits, employees, managers, etc. Tons of room for growth and company really wants to see you thrive! Great pay with many opportunities for raises!!! Would work for them any day!

Cons

Don't always have a project to be on... But they work extremely hard to get you on one! Just comes with working in land services! So honestly... Best company I've ever worked for. No complaints!!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!! Amazing company : )

Not like it used to be.

Former Employee - Senior Structural Designer - PDMS Model Manager/Trainer in Katy, TX

I worked at Wood Group Mustang (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a great place to work and employees were treated great.

Cons

Not a small company any more. WoodGroup has really pushed out the culture of Mustang. Now it is more about the dollar than the people.

Advice to Management

Be more like the old company before WoodsGroup.

Leadership changes bringing a breath of fresh air

Current Employee - Texas in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Houston, TX

I have been working at Wood Group Mustang

Pros

Ongoing efforts to preserve 'original' culture while growing as a global company

Cons

Little formal employee development, training mostly focused on technical staff.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing employees

RSS Feed </> Embed