Wood Mackenzie Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Wood Mackenzie CEO Stephen Halliday
Stephen Halliday

Pros
  • Work-life balance is solid, which is about the only pro (in 22 reviews)

• Great Benefits with some leeway to handle life issues (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture stresses work/life balance almost to a fault (in 3 reviews)

• Dysfunctional culture and weak senior management that tolerates such behavior with the brush-off, "That's Wood Mackenzie (in 4 reviews)

1. Possibly making positive changes

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance (sometimes this is a con), highly collaborative culture. Interesting time be in energy. If you are on the right team, challenging work that will help get you to your next position.

Cons

Company has very UK-centric often resulting in perplexing decisions with little global perspective. Very often, one gets the feeling that if an idea didn't come from the UK, it can't be any good. Too much fear of losing good employees rather than making it a great and inspiring place to work; not enough coaching and investment in employees. Literally stone-age technology and very little investment and support for IT. However, company has been going through several changes - which has led many shifts in leadership, long-tenured employees leaving - and in the short term, morale is low, but there is a possibility that the culture will turn around.

Advice to Management

Drive a culture of excellence; inspire your employees

Stepping stone for your career

Former Employee - Client Services in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Client Services in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great diversity at Wood Mackenzie. The majority of people who work there are very friendly and very knowledgeable in the industry. There is so much one can learn. Other than the people, I believe that the prime reason people stay at Wood Mackenzie is the benefits. You receive 5 weeks paid vacation, good health insurance and a company 401k match.

Cons

I have seen few opportunities for progression, and I have seen fellow colleagues passed up for promotions. As the company works towards being "more professional" less concern is given to the workers. Because of the lack of career progression and mundane work everyday, it's difficult to be motivated. Technology is also very slow. It's hard to get anything done when the systems are always stalled.

Advice to Management

Rather than hiring externally, give internal employees, who demonstrate desire to learn and grow, the chance to grow. Better decisions need to be made when promoting individuals to certain roles.

They Hire Petty and Mean People

Former Employee - Upstream Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Upstream Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie (More than a year)

Pros

About the only identifiable "Pro" is a decent salary -- but that has far more to do with the dynamics of the oil and gas industry than with Wood Mackenzie in particular.

Cons

I was very excited about working at Wood Mackenzie, because the position I took was perfectly suited for my skills and interests. I was sorely disappointed. My immediate co-workers were just awful people: petty, arrogant (without the real achievements that might justify being so), undermining, and often outright mean. The company also lied to me about a key parameter of my job during the interview/contract signing period. I felt insulted, devalued, and I voluntarily quit -- even though I expected at the outset to be at the firm at a minimum of several years. Finally, for a data-heavy information and analytics firm....WoodMac is light on technical skill. Co-workers kept talking about their "models" of upstream research, by which they just meant: Excel files, with no actual "modeling" component to it. Being a glorified Excel jockey is fine as a job, but the way WoodMac does it is shockingly inefficient and poor.

5. Great place to work amongst good people

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, interesting work, vacation, benefits, meritocratic culture with hardly any sense of hierarchy.

Cons

Internal technological systems are outdated and time consuming. Sometimes there seem to be more perks and resources for development in other companies within the energy sector.

Advice to Management

Leadership is very inspiring

Get out while you can

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time

Pros

5 week vacation, good health insurance

Cons

Lack of leadership, lack of strategy, no business focus, no career advancement or professional training. HUGE buddy-system, extremely UK centric - anything that doesn't come out of the UK it's seen as not good. C-executives have no clue of what they are doing, they have no knowledge of what's going on nor they care

Advice to Management

Remember your employees, use a merit system, GET INVOLVED

Enjoy it while it lasts

I worked at Wood Mackenzie

Pros

Great pay, 90% of the employees are nice and friendly. The nicest people are the lower-level house-keeping and maintenance staff.

Cons

Extremely cut-throat for contract employees. They will outright lie and make up a reason to get you out and not give prior notice.

Advice to Management

Be fair. Stop letting your favorite employees get away with murder. Get all the facts before you make a decision.

Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance. Great place to learn about the energy industry

Cons

A buddy system is in place. Very limited opportunities for advancement. Technology is slow and need improvement.

Advice to Management

They need to create more opportunities for advancement. They need to do research before moving into new areas or launching a new service.

9. Good place to work

I worked at Wood Mackenzie

Pros

Research is very market savvy, relaxed pace. Analysts are very smart, work well independently, and have access to good resources.

Cons

Research areas can be very siloed. Culture is very strong - maybe too strong. Portal system for giving data to clients is poorly designed and clunky.

Exit Stage Left

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401K match, 5 weeks of vacation. It was a place where your opinion mattered and if you applied yourself it would pay off. Not anymore

Cons

What you are told in the interview and what actually goes on is slightly skewed. Management loves to hear feedback but never execute on 95% of our concerns. I watch qualified individuals get passed up for a position because they weren't willing to relocate. Bell-Curve performance rating. Salary is not competitive. I WILL be cashing out and exiting once this acquisition is complete.

Advice to Management

You forgot about your mission statement --Employees first. For that you will lose the brightest and sharpest individuals but why do I even bother saying anything you DON'T listen to us anyway

11. Director of Admin

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie

Pros

awesome place to work love it. People are friendly and caring. Hours are fantastic and benefits are wonderful. Would recommend to anyone interested.

Cons

There could be more company functions so all employees can meet and mingle. Other than that, perfect.

RSS Feed </> Embed