Wood Mackenzie Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.2

Wood Mackenzie CEO Stephen Halliday
Stephen Halliday

Pros
  • Good Work Life Balance since the reach team don't have many deadlines to catch up with (in 20 reviews)

• Great Benefits with some leeway to handle life issues (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture stresses work/life balance almost to a fault (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of diversity in senior management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company with IPO plans

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time

Pros

Friendly culture, excellent vacation plan, lots of smart people, decent work/life balance. Can be a fun place to work if you are associated with the high growth/focus products and services.

Cons

The private equity owners are pushing for strong growth leading to changes in the 'friendly' culture. Company employs about 1000 people. It can be good place to work if you are associated with the right products/services, i.e those that the company is spending $$$ on and thus have a relatively bright future.

Fresh graduates welcome here!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, fresh graduate - friendly

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities ,

Unlimited potential constrained by senior management

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professed commitment to work/life balance--5 weeks of vacation you're expected to take, some flexibility on work hours otherwise as long as the job gets done, fabulous opportunity for industry exposure, collegial community. You couldn't do better as a

Cons

Prehistoric IT, glacial decision making, internally vs. client-focused management based in the UK, bad management in Houston in particular. Research is second-rate compared with sales and loosely-defined management.

Leadership in North America is still too internal and Wood Mac-centric. Get client-focused leaders who understand business opportunities rather than the Wood Mac culture. Recent changes have been positive, but please stay the course. Understand that good research products generate sales, not the other way around.

Not the same company anymore

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good insurance coverage and 25 days paid vacation

Cons

UK-centric, new ownership is moving the company in a completely different direction than what WM was when it earned Investors in People. Employees who still have shares in the company are stuck until the company goes public, but there's a clear sentiment across all departments that the company is changing and not for the better. Very little opportunity for career growth.

Vacation is about the only perk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

5 week vacation
    401K matching
    They encourage you to take your vacation days, because it use it or lose it.

Cons

PreHistoric Operating System...Windows 97 anyone.
    Salary is NOT competitive to the companies in the area
    No gym membership stipend, okay they offer like $100 for the year - thru the health insurance only, that might work in Houston but not anywhere else in the country. Pony up the money WoodMac and get your employee healthy.
    No room for growth! Now I know I am going to get a lot of slack for this but, if you are in Houston, London or Edinburgh, you have ZERO chance of growth. HR post the jobs via the intranet but you must be willing to relocate. They are NOT willing to work with you at your current location. So I have to uproot my whole family if I want to grow my career????

Start listening and really take action on what your employees want. Without us, you wouldn't have a company.
    Yes, I know I can take my business elsewhere, but stop thinking that SALES is your only golden buddha. You have a lot of people in different departments that work really hard and you NEVER give us a 2nd look. And if I can do my job from home, I should be allowed to. Oh, Finance, stop busting my balls for my missing receipts while the sales guy next to me is taking a vacation on WoodMac dime, he called it a "BUSINESS" trip to Miami in February.

Disorganized due to ego munching managers

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time

Pros

Great Benefits with some leeway to handle life issues
    They hire smart guys who know nothing of the areas they are working in.

Cons

They have an uncompromising determination to achieve excellence in everything they undertake, but lack the support to get there.

Someone should be the overall regional office head on location to ensure quality and take care of each units Head responsibility to produce results as requested by another Head, manager or senior analyst.

Poor leadership, undervalues employees, hierarchical

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The firm places a high priority on benefits besides financial - 5 weeks of vacation, good health insurance. That is about the only good thing.

If you are fresh out of university, this is a good place to learn and absorb content before moving on or returning to school. People who leave happy seem to be those who get out while the getting is good, usually less than two years.

Cons

Salary is well below comparable firms, there is always some excuse not to pay bonuses, they move targets mid year to avoid paying bonuses, leadership is quite poor, there is a disproportionate influence from Edinburgh (HQ) and from people who have never worked anywhere else, it is more important to spend time in place than to do go work, you get punished for doing too well and standing out, mid level management works very hard to defend territory and demotes managers who don't get with their program, the firm doesn't commit to anything fully and consequently never really does anything well.

Best advice for applicants - read the review thoroughly. The number of starts I see in the reviews doesn't truly reflect the tone of the review. The stars suggest positive reviews, but read between the lines in the text and you'll see people aren't very happy.

Get rid of the middle management layer who is holding the company back, allow people to advance based on ability instead of tenure, stop using the "we are a cheap Scottish company" as an excuse, create a transparent review process instead of one where we managers end up fighting for our team regardless of ability because we know centralized management takes the majority of the year's gains and leaves nothing for good performers outside of the UK.

Current Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and good people. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Still very UK centered even though Houston office is as large and will continue to grow.

Let go of "old" way of doing things and let the US management team manage.

Research Analyst

Former Employee - Upstream Research Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Upstream Research Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The level of clients you interact with is unmatched, particularly relative to other junior roles. Your coworkers are extremely intelligent. You are constantly learning. Your presentation and analytical skills improve immensely through working there.

Cons

The work gets mundane after 18 months. The type of work does not change. The managers are not very encouraging. Their Scotish culture is very "glass empty". There is limited opportunities to transfer between research groups. The culture stresses work/life balance almost to a fault. Nothing ever gets done. The product outputs move at a snails pace. The technology that is meant to support your job is awful and forces tasks to take much longer than necessary.

Be more upfront with junior analysts on where they rank amongst each other. You need end up wasting an employees career by refusing toe either fire them or allow them to transfer groups. You keep many junior analysts in career limbo.

In terms of corporate strategy, have some sense of urgency, your competitors are putting out better products. Quite allowing everyone to leave by 4pm. Successful companies push their employees. You are allow your workers to become complacent and lazy.

You need to have a rotational program for your junior analysts or they end up getting bored and leaving.

Senior Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-Life balance, global reach, family like atmosphere

Cons

European centric management, little technology support

Transition to global management and need non-UK based upper executive managment

Wood Mackenzie Photos