Wood Mackenzie Reviews

69 reviews filtered by
2.8
Wood Mackenzie CEO Stephen Halliday
Stephen Halliday

Pros
  • Good Work Life Balance since the reach team don't have many deadlines to catch up with (in 22 reviews)

• Great Benefits with some leeway to handle life issues (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture stresses work/life balance almost to a fault (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of diversity in senior management (in 4 reviews)

1. Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie

Pros

Research is very market savvy, relaxed pace. Analysts are very smart, work well independently, and have access to good resources.

Cons

Research areas can be very siloed. Culture is very strong - maybe too strong. Portal system for giving data to clients is poorly designed and clunky.

Exit Stage Left

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

401K match, 5 weeks of vacation. It was a place where your opinion mattered and if you applied yourself it would pay off. Not anymore

Cons

What you are told in the interview and what actually goes on is slightly skewed. Management loves to hear feedback but never execute on 95% of our concerns. I watch qualified individuals get passed up for a position because they weren't willing to relocate. Bell-Curve performance rating. Salary is not competitive. I WILL be cashing out and exiting once this acquisition is complete.

You forgot about your mission statement --Employees first. For that you will lose the brightest and sharpest individuals but why do I even bother saying anything you DON'T listen to us anyway

3. Leading research and consulting firm specializing in bespoke bottom-up, fundamental analysis of the oil & gas industy

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie

Pros

good work life balance, exciting sector, five weeks vacation

Cons

management is slow with executing new initiatives, younger analysts have hard time moving up

A decent place to work, but the future doesn't look bright

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time

Pros

-Excellent benefits package (401k, health/dental insurance, vacation allowance)
    -Pretty casual work environment, filled with generally interesting and smart colleagues
    -Managers are flexible with what you do with your time. You can take time to do research or write a report on nearly whatever you want, as long as its related to your area and reasonably interesting. Though this isn't quite as good as it once was as we are getting saddled with more and more responsibilities (without any extra pay or thanks) and less time to do the research we want.
    -Adequate pay (once you take into account the benefits, relaxed environment and often 40-45 hr weeks)

Cons

-Management is a mess. Managers seem to be promoted based mainly on time served and having similar beliefs as existing managers, with qualifications taking a backseat.
    -Top management is totally focused on a near term IPO so they and other senior employees can cash out, at the expense of current work product. They are trying to do too much and do it too quickly in order to drive growth.
    -The company operates on an unspoken code of secrecy and things are often on a “need to know” basis and are passed to analysts only once decisions have already been made.
    -No analyst development programme. Also, goals in performance reviews are rather meaningless as ratings seem to be based on managerial preference and speed of progression between bands is inconsistent between a few chosen analysts and everybody else.
    -Research turnover has increased significantly in the past couple years which strains already overextended analysts.
    -Private equity ownership for the past few years has led to severe underinvestment in business processes, which results in inefficiency and an incredible amount of wasted time. The beyond awful IT systems fit in here. I feel bad for the guys responsible for supporting the unstable Jenga tower that is our IT system.

-Pay the people that make this company run (aka, the analysts) before they leave, particularly in the competitive job markets outside the UK. Without the analysts, the product is worthless. Which really is too bad because the products are great.
    -Give people who don’t own shares an incentive to stay through the IPO.
    -Don't be afraid to let people go who don't add value.

Summer Internship

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment; very friendly. If you are looking to build a career and expand your knowledge of the energy industry, Woodmac is the right place.

Cons

The hour salary wasn't very good. The summer internship program is quite new so they haven't link the program to further job opportunities or offers.

Link the summer internship program to full time offers after graduation.
    Increase the hour-salary

Not what I signed up for

Former Employee - Upstream Research Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Upstream Research Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A couple cool, nice analysts. Decent for the resume. No internet filters.

Cons

Where to begin....this company is just not as advertised. They say they provide a third-party, independent view on the industry when in reality the firm is more concerned about regurgitating whatever the oil companies are saying in an effort to appease their clients. This leads to the viewpoints being safe and behind the curve. By the time Wood Mackenzie says something it is so blatantly obvious to everyone that it means nothing.

The company has a serious management problem. The analysts are really the only thing holding this place together. Management is totally out of touch and does not even know how to solve simple problems. Maybe this is because upper management is more concerned about someone's race and gender when considering promotions, instead of intelligence.

This company is political and corrupt. Secrecy is common when dealing with basic issues that would be open in any other office environment. My manager was routinely rude to me and would single me out for no reason, this was obvious to all of my teammates. I went to HR to discuss what was happening...and I was fired the next day. Clearly, this place is corrupt. Clearly, this place is not concerned about analysts and their development.

Who should work here? Wood Mac is not a career destination, it is more of a stepping stone or resume filler, especially for someone without business experience (geologists, engineers, etc.). Working here straight out of school is a big mistake.

There is extremely high turnover here, and if your read what I wrote above I think it should be pretty clear why.

clean house

Good company with IPO plans

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time

Pros

Friendly culture, excellent vacation plan, lots of smart people, decent work/life balance. Can be a fun place to work if you are associated with the high growth/focus products and services.

Cons

The private equity owners are pushing for strong growth leading to changes in the 'friendly' culture. Company employs about 1000 people. It can be good place to work if you are associated with the right products/services, i.e those that the company is spending $$$ on and thus have a relatively bright future.

Fresh graduates welcome here!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, fresh graduate - friendly

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities ,

Unlimited potential constrained by senior management

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professed commitment to work/life balance--5 weeks of vacation you're expected to take, some flexibility on work hours otherwise as long as the job gets done, fabulous opportunity for industry exposure, collegial community. You couldn't do better as a

Cons

Prehistoric IT, glacial decision making, internally vs. client-focused management based in the UK, bad management in Houston in particular. Research is second-rate compared with sales and loosely-defined management.

Leadership in North America is still too internal and Wood Mac-centric. Get client-focused leaders who understand business opportunities rather than the Wood Mac culture. Recent changes have been positive, but please stay the course. Understand that good research products generate sales, not the other way around.

Not the same company anymore

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good insurance coverage and 25 days paid vacation

Cons

UK-centric, new ownership is moving the company in a completely different direction than what WM was when it earned Investors in People. Employees who still have shares in the company are stuck until the company goes public, but there's a clear sentiment across all departments that the company is changing and not for the better. Very little opportunity for career growth.

Wood Mackenzie Photos