Wood Mackenzie

Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Wood Mackenzie CEO Stephen Halliday
Stephen Halliday

Pros
  • Good Work Life Balance since the reach team don't have many deadlines to catch up with (in 22 reviews)

• Great Benefits with some leeway to handle life issues (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture stresses work/life balance almost to a fault (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of diversity in senior management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Summer Internship

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great working environment; very friendly. If you are looking to build a career and expand your knowledge of the energy industry, Woodmac is the right place.

Cons

The hour salary wasn't very good. The summer internship program is quite new so they haven't link the program to further job opportunities or offers.

Link the summer internship program to full time offers after graduation.
    Increase the hour-salary

Not what I signed up for

Former Employee - Upstream Research Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Upstream Research Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A couple cool, nice analysts. Decent for the resume. No internet filters.

Cons

Where to begin....this company is just not as advertised. They say they provide a third-party, independent view on the industry when in reality the firm is more concerned about regurgitating whatever the oil companies are saying in an effort to appease their clients. This leads to the viewpoints being safe and behind the curve. By the time Wood Mackenzie says something it is so blatantly obvious to everyone that it means nothing.

The company has a serious management problem. The analysts are really the only thing holding this place together. Management is totally out of touch and does not even know how to solve simple problems. Maybe this is because upper management is more concerned about someone's race and gender when considering promotions, instead of intelligence.

This company is political and corrupt. Secrecy is common when dealing with basic issues that would be open in any other office environment. My manager was routinely rude to me and would single me out for no reason, this was obvious to all of my teammates. I went to HR to discuss what was happening...and I was fired the next day. Clearly, this place is corrupt. Clearly, this place is not concerned about analysts and their development.

Who should work here? Wood Mac is not a career destination, it is more of a stepping stone or resume filler, especially for someone without business experience (geologists, engineers, etc.). Working here straight out of school is a big mistake.

There is extremely high turnover here, and if your read what I wrote above I think it should be pretty clear why.

clean house

Admin Temp

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Wood Mackenzie as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Location, MidTown near major subway lines. When I said yes to this opportunity the HR person and the Wood Mack employees I met where very nice but once I actually started the job the rest of the staff was another animal.

Cons

The people I had to support were rude, made me feel like a peasant and I didn't enjoy coming to the office. This one sales guy, older balding man wore glasses, made me do all of his clerical work (which was not in the description) while I watched him take 2 hour lunches. I won't even discuss the "work trips" I booked for him which I knew a good portion of it was his vacation but I'm just a temp. Then I had my very own "Devil Wears Prada" I had to support. She made me put enter her business cards in her outlook and still kept the original, who still keeps business cards???
    No causal Fridays (while everyone walking in the lobby wore jeans) and very quiet office. This office didn't make me feel welcomed and I felt like an outcast for the time I was there.

Good company with IPO plans

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time

Pros

Friendly culture, excellent vacation plan, lots of smart people, decent work/life balance. Can be a fun place to work if you are associated with the high growth/focus products and services.

Cons

The private equity owners are pushing for strong growth leading to changes in the 'friendly' culture. Company employs about 1000 people. It can be good place to work if you are associated with the right products/services, i.e those that the company is spending $$$ on and thus have a relatively bright future.

Only good for employee benefits

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

28 vacation days, good health insurance, good work-life balance

Cons

No career development, extremely low salary, high turn-over, lack of leadership and strategy

Fresh graduates welcome here!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, fresh graduate - friendly

Cons

Lack of growth opportunities ,

Unlimited potential constrained by senior management

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professed commitment to work/life balance--5 weeks of vacation you're expected to take, some flexibility on work hours otherwise as long as the job gets done, fabulous opportunity for industry exposure, collegial community. You couldn't do better as a

Cons

Prehistoric IT, glacial decision making, internally vs. client-focused management based in the UK, bad management in Houston in particular. Research is second-rate compared with sales and loosely-defined management.

Leadership in North America is still too internal and Wood Mac-centric. Get client-focused leaders who understand business opportunities rather than the Wood Mac culture. Recent changes have been positive, but please stay the course. Understand that good research products generate sales, not the other way around.

Not the same company anymore

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good insurance coverage and 25 days paid vacation

Cons

UK-centric, new ownership is moving the company in a completely different direction than what WM was when it earned Investors in People. Employees who still have shares in the company are stuck until the company goes public, but there's a clear sentiment across all departments that the company is changing and not for the better. Very little opportunity for career growth.

Disorganized due to ego munching managers

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time

Pros

Great Benefits with some leeway to handle life issues
    They hire smart guys who know nothing of the areas they are working in.

Cons

They have an uncompromising determination to achieve excellence in everything they undertake, but lack the support to get there.

Someone should be the overall regional office head on location to ensure quality and take care of each units Head responsibility to produce results as requested by another Head, manager or senior analyst.

Poor leadership, undervalues employees, hierarchical

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Wood Mackenzie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The firm places a high priority on benefits besides financial - 5 weeks of vacation, good health insurance. That is about the only good thing.

If you are fresh out of university, this is a good place to learn and absorb content before moving on or returning to school. People who leave happy seem to be those who get out while the getting is good, usually less than two years.

Cons

Salary is well below comparable firms, there is always some excuse not to pay bonuses, they move targets mid year to avoid paying bonuses, leadership is quite poor, there is a disproportionate influence from Edinburgh (HQ) and from people who have never worked anywhere else, it is more important to spend time in place than to do go work, you get punished for doing too well and standing out, mid level management works very hard to defend territory and demotes managers who don't get with their program, the firm doesn't commit to anything fully and consequently never really does anything well.

Best advice for applicants - read the review thoroughly. The number of starts I see in the reviews doesn't truly reflect the tone of the review. The stars suggest positive reviews, but read between the lines in the text and you'll see people aren't very happy.

Get rid of the middle management layer who is holding the company back, allow people to advance based on ability instead of tenure, stop using the "we are a cheap Scottish company" as an excuse, create a transparent review process instead of one where we managers end up fighting for our team regardless of ability because we know centralized management takes the majority of the year's gains and leaves nothing for good performers outside of the UK.

Wood Mackenzie Photos