Woodman's Food Market

Woodman's Food Market Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great company but lots of work

Cashier (Former Employee) Appleton, WI

ProsGreat pay. Supervisors were always nice (probably because my dad was their boss...). Good benefits and I was able to do different jobs everyday so it wasn't too monotonous. When I wasn't a cashier, I loved my job. Able to work every other weekend so I was able to attend school and keep up with sports.

ConsNot able to connect with customers because you have to treat them like a number because of the strict numbers that you have to make while cashiering.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a more personal experience for the customers and more will come.

Worst place to work!

Bagger (Former Employee) Janesville, WI

ProsThere's nothing about this place that's good

ConsScheduling is awful, if u need a day off its nearly impossible. There whole setup is wrong. There's no conveyer system so if u get a checker that doesn't push groceries down you're in for a long 9 hour shift. I developed severe back problems from bagging. If ur not a favorite you'll never move up to a checker. And there's to much to list

Good Opportunity, but not worth the scandals and demotivational attempts at motivation.

Utility Clerk (Current Employee) Oak Creek, WI

ProsThe pay, some of the crew.

ConsCorrupt supervisors who do constantly ride you and lie about your times and box rates so that they can get the numbers they need and put as much pressure on you as they need to get them. They make you stock even if you aren't a stocker and are still paid below $9.00 when the stocking position is $13.75 per hour. I went in with the impression (after reading these reviews) that If I give it my absolute all that I will succeed and I won't have the same issues as others but man was I wrong. They are able to dispose of the utility clerks as often as they'd like since the word gets out that you could be making $14 hourly after 45 days so they have enough of a waiting list to replace you. So if they have a problem or as simple as not liking your personality, looks, or anything at all they can fire of you. There's so much more negatives but I hope this gets to the point. Just know that their goal is to FAIL you, you heard me, not PASS you as they should be focusing on and there's no training to start out so they expect you to know everything and have you follow someone who is the worst case scenario of a worker but they don't fire him because he's worked here for so long and will help the cause of getting people to fail probation. I'm done now.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoney leads to corruption, corruption leads to failure to treat anyone with respect, get your priorities straight.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Their "every other weekend" program is good.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kenosha, WI

Pros"Every other weekend" program is great if you are in school or want a second job. You only get scheduled Saturday and Sunday every other week, and the pay is well above average for a grocery store. Plus, every Sunday is time and a half! And most holidays are double time that you can sign up for and maybe get picked (I don't know if it's based on seniority, corporate schedulers seem to have their heads up their ..., don't know how they do it), plus you get a little bonus on the side for each holiday.

And speaking of bonuses, I get random bonuses every couple of months including big ones around Christmas and a huge one in February based on a percentage of the prior year's wages earned.

If you can get in to a specific department, your life will be much better off here and the pros will most likely outweigh the cons for you.

ConsFront-end supervisors and store managers show blatant favoritism. If you are related to one, banging one, or banging someone who is related to one, you will rise much faster in the ranks here. This ties in to getting in to a specific department where you won't have to deal with them as much.

There are tons of silly rules that really serve no purpose. Such as the "guys must shave and have hair collar length" rule. There are grotesquely obese cashiers that can't move without waddling and that is acceptable, but if a guy wants to maintain a well-kept beard, he will be terminated unless he shaves it. Well he can keep a mustache, but that's it.

And there are holiday sign up sheets. If you want to switch hours or pick up hours during holiday weeks, you MUST sign up that you are available to work/switch on the certain days about a month in advance. But say you sign up on a certain day because you know you are going to be covering someone's shift that day... You may get scheduled that day since you signed up and then the person who was expecting to give their shift to you is screwed! All-in-all a screwy system that serves no purpose in my opinion.

Also, I have seen the store manager pushing around boxcarts filled with cardboard for entire days at a time. Shouldn't the store manager be doing more important things? Just my opinion, management here seems completely lost and out of touch.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the blatant favoritism, consider revising some of the pointless rules (I would also say learn how to do your jobs better, but I don't think they are capable of that)

Easy to get in, Hard to stay

Bagger/Cashier (Current Employee) Oak Creek, WI

ProsREALLY easy to get hired
    Starting pay is pretty nice (for bagger $8.10)
    Employees are sincere (at first)

ConsIt's all about speed.
    Managers don't know enough to be managers
    Scheduling is VERY inflexible
    Nearly impossible to get a day off and if you call in sick you get docked and have to make up that day
    It is REALLY easy to get terminated.
    Attendance is the biggest thing managers stress on

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the business a little more. You force your employees to know so much, but you don't necessarily know it.

If you can tolerate the rules and inflexibility, you can make a living wage with little to know education.

Grocery Supervisor (Current Employee) North Aurora, IL

ProsEnjoy the people that work there.

ConsThe scheduling is very inflexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the rules that serve no purpose except for making the employees life difficult. Such as the holiday sign up sheet.

Terrible place to work

Cashier (Former Employee) Kenosha, WI

ProsGood salary/hourly rate for someone with little to no education. Bonuses

ConsThe schedule is extremely inflexible
    They have a point system that can easily get you fired. I was a 4.0 student in high school and I got fired for getting the swine flu because I had to miss work two days in row, which deducted all of my points.
    Management are all rude, terrible people.
    Phill Woodman is also an awful human being
    Everything is about speed and not costumer care

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to act like tyrants.

Emplyees are angry - for good reason.

Third Shift Clerk (Former Employee) Carpentersville, IL

ProsThe pay is good, breaks are consistant and bonuses come regularly. I'm pressed to come up with enough to say for the 20 word minimum here.

ConsWoodman’s has insane time clock rules. You must not only clock in at the correct minute (according to Woodman's clocks) but the *first thirty seconds* of the exact minute or you start accumulating marks towards attendance points (you won’t be told about the first thirty seconds in training, the time clock rounds up your clock-in time if you clock in on the second half of the minute). If you get too many attendance points, you can't get promoted.

Also, all emphasis is on speed, nobody cares about quality. Be careful if you shop there to check the dates on all your food, especially dry goods. Some cereal boxes on the shelves are months past expiration. Employees are neither given the time, nor are they really expected to rotate stock and throw out expired food. Employees are timed on how many boxes (boxes of boxes - such as a box of cereal boxes) that they put up in a given time frame and they are expected to do upwards of two boxes per minute, including locating the item on the shelf, et cetera.

Also, Woodman's does *not* care about your personal needs. I saw one of the more senior women in the company get demoted to third-shift stock because she was having some personal medical issue with her child (can't remember the details) which made it hard for her to meet her schedule. Instead of supporting their long time employee and giving her special consideration, she was offered this position demotion as an alternative to termination.

Don't be fooled by the "Employee Owned" tagline. Woodman's is not a happy place to work. Walk through the store and interact with stockers. Try to be friendly with the cashier. Most of the people working there hate their jobs. My termination was one of the better things that could have happened to me. I’d rather return to working at Kirby than work there.

And oh yes, Woodman’s is very good about covering their asses if you apply for unemployment.

Good if in dire need of money.

Bagger/Cart Pusher (Current Employee) Appleton, WI

ProsFast hire
    Some good people
    Bonus checks every 3 months or so, enough for a tank of gas or 2 if youre lucky
    Thats about all

Conslies about pay scale, very overestimated, a trap to lure you in.
    incredibly bad hours, really bad. you cant really imagine until you work here
    low pay for the work they make you do
    you are just a number
    screwed up paper work all the time
    must get used to getting yelled at for the littlest things
    they hire anyone who can talk
    they will not give good reviews of you to other companies, so expect to stay here

Advice to Senior ManagementIts impossible to talk to anybody here, every manager is always in a rush, so the conversations might last 30 seconds if youre lucky.

Not a good place too work

Stock Clerk (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsProfit sharing smoke free inside checks from profit sharing, owner is ok phil Woodman
    If your a Clerk pay is good

Consemployee not friendly managers are rude hard time to get off to much gossip
    they will hire anybody they don't screen employee very good no control over Schedule
    Janesville schedule you not each store .

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need not to hire everyone that come through the door big problem with this I had to take
     a Personality test to get hired and a math test this is a big joke cashiers can't count
     And people are not friendly there what is the point of the test!!

Worked for Woodman's Food Market? Contribute to the Community!