Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Reviews

Updated October 6, 2014
Updated October 6, 2014
3.7

Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Director, President & CEO Jane Harman
Jane Harman

Research Intern

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Pros

Great place to intern if you want to pursue academia.

Cons

Almost no potential to become full-time.

Great place for an internship

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Intellectual atmosphere, high quality research facilities and support, broad range of permanent programs and variety of research through its fellowship program. The research intern program is well coordinated; since you all work in a bullpen there is a lot of opportunity to meet other interns and learn about their projects and the scholars they are assisting. There are also organization-wide happy hours, which are a great way to meet permanent staff and scholars. The best part of working at the Wilson Center is the exposure to the incredible diversity of research and programming. I remember taking a break from my project to see a former Secretary of State speak for an hour. At how many places do you get to do that? Wilson Center also has a strong reputation as a truly nonpartisan think tank, which is increasingly rare in this town.

Cons

The scholar I worked for was great and very flexible with scheduling and time off, but it depends largely on the scholar's schedule and management style. The research internship is not really a viable avenue to permanent employment at the Wilson Center; you work for a visiting fellow or scholar, so the person you work with the most will be gone in six months. The best way to get to know permanent staff is to intern for one of the programs, but even so the Center doesn't hire for permanent positions very often. That said, the experience itself and the reputation of the Center is marketable. If you are in school, it's likely an unpaid internship. If you've recently graduated a VERY small stipend may be available.

Pay your interns an actual hourly rate above the minimum wage.

Learning experience as an intern.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

Pros

The location was beautiful and there was a food court in the building which made lunch time and coffee breaks convenient.

Cons

I learned here that as a research assistant that I need customer/client interaction. I spent days and nights researching and analyzing data by myself. I missed the interaction with people. This was a real learning experience for me personally. The center was great, the pay was decent, the scholar was amazing who taught me so much.

Toxic environment

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars full-time

Pros

Program staff are smart and dedicated to work. Nice collegiality the further you are from C Suite. Interesting programs with great speakers. Opportunity to learn a lot about foreign policy.

Cons

Toxic management. Unpredictable CEO with unreasonable demands and an insatiable need to be in front of camera. Upper management bends to her every whim.

Nothing will happen until there is change at the top.

Great staff, terrible senior leadership

Current Employee - Mid-level Staffer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Mid-level Staffer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of smart people, junior-level staffers are generally close-knit, many opportunities for collaboration, good work-life balance for program staff, always a lot going on (in terms of both events and publications).

Cons

Few opportunities for promotion or professional development; low morale; high turnover. CEO of the Wilson Center is petty, tyrannical, and demanding. As such, a lot of needless stress and chaos is created — which leads to a bunch of unnecessary work and very high turnover rates; within the last 18 months, there have been a total of six VPs of Communications and/or Development, because there's just no pleasing the CEO and she treats people very poorly.

Get rid of the current CEO. Be less of a top-down organization. Create more opportunities for junior-level people to move up.

Great internship

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars as an intern

Pros

Flexible time, great people there

Cons

No compensation for the hard-working interns.

Positive but disorganized

Pros

The program staff are very friendly and helpful. Salary is comparable to other Washington institutions, but promotion potential varies by department.

Cons

The workplace is generally disorganized and there is no documentation for day to day procedures and financial management. Junior staff will not have access to natural light.

GREAT

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Pros

Intelligent people
    Relevant Research
    Respected by US government

Cons

Summer is a slow season

Wilson Center Internship

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I have been the intern there for one year now. It is a very warm working environment with specialists around the world It has been ranked as the NO.10 think tank in the world think tank ranking. Personally I really there especially the building. The only building you can see the sky from its roof near National Mall. People working there are the experts of their field. Very passionate about their research and every week they invite cool guests there. I saw my idle Greenspan there. And they take a professional profile picture for every intern for free. You can post that for LinkedIn Bio! Definitely recommend Wilson Center. Apply for it!

Cons

Unpaid. And it is not that easy to become a official staff from interns there. Have to be more than one year. Somebody two.

Great staff and scholarly environment, so-so management, limited professional development opportunities

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing hardworking staff and a great environment where you can network with international scholars and policy experts. Always something exciting going on and a great place to learn about policy.

Cons

Job experiences vary wildly between programs. Some are excellent and well funded, others have insecure funding, poor management, and unclear mission/goals. Senior management is all over the place. Talks a big game about improvements and supporting junior staff, but fails to put money where their mouth is. Program assistants are extremely underpaid for what they are asked to do, and there are little to no advancement or professional development opportunities. There is a distinct feeling that senior management is afraid if staff gains skills they will leave the Wilson Center, which they were going to do anyway since there is no promotion potential and most salaries are capped very low. There is also no staff training when you arrive and the bureaucracy is deeply confusing and arcane. Expect to spend 6 months just learning how to interact with the various departments and complete paperwork successfully. There are signs of improvement (updating website, new marketing tools, attempt to standardize budget tracking), but for every step forward new management takes, they seem to take two steps back.

Improve benefits and support training and professional development of staff.

Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Photos