Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Director, President & CEO Jane Harman
Jane Harman

1. Staff/Scholar intern

Pros

The Wilson Center is a vibrant community of scholars, policy-makers, researchers, and students. As an undergrad when I interned there, I learned a lot from the scholars and conferences it held. Its location is great, right at the center of DC, where tons of activities and events can be explored.

Cons

Unfortunately the internships are unpaid. And the research assistant internship offers only a small amount of monthly stipend. Otherwise I would love to go back.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of interns come and go, but if they are more organized (e.g. with more collective events) in a way that they feel like in a community of interns, that would be better.

2. I was a research assistant there, helping a visitor scholar on her research.

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

The place is amazing. The research topics are awesome, there is always an even about something interesting happening where you can go to learn, to make networking or to have free food. Everybody there is helpful and I had a great supervisor.

Cons

As I wasn't an actual employee I didn't have major perks on working there. I think the only thing I could possibly complain is that they didn't pay the interns at that time.

Advice to Management

Everything went very well to me. I just couldn't complain. If I could, I would be working there until today. I couldn't stay more because I was on a semester program and I had to return to my university in Brazil.

3. Program Intern- Global Women's Leadership Initiative

Pros

Great Networking Opportunities Access to Events Great Staff

Cons

No potential for growth within the group

5. some of the smartest people you will ever meet!

Pros

loved that everyday i was exposed to some of DC's most brilliant; this think tank has a great reputation and is very active

Cons

the office i was in was very disorganized and staff were constantly staying late

6. Research Intern

Pros

Great place to intern if you want to pursue academia.

Cons

Almost no potential to become full-time.

Toxic environment

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars full-time

Pros

Program staff are smart and dedicated to work. Nice collegiality the further you are from C Suite. Interesting programs with great speakers. Opportunity to learn a lot about foreign policy.

Cons

Toxic management. Unpredictable CEO with unreasonable demands and an insatiable need to be in front of camera. Upper management bends to her every whim.

Advice to Management

Nothing will happen until there is change at the top.

Great staff, terrible senior leadership

Current Employee - Mid-level Staffer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Mid-level Staffer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people, junior-level staffers are generally close-knit, many opportunities for collaboration, good work-life balance for program staff, always a lot going on (in terms of both events and publications).

Cons

Few opportunities for promotion or professional development; low morale; high turnover. CEO of the Wilson Center is petty, tyrannical, and demanding. As such, a lot of needless stress and chaos is created — which leads to a bunch of unnecessary work and very high turnover rates; within the last 18 months, there have been a total of six VPs of Communications and/or Development, because there's just no pleasing the CEO and she treats people very poorly.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the current CEO. Be less of a top-down organization. Create more opportunities for junior-level people to move up.

Positive but disorganized

Pros

The program staff are very friendly and helpful. Salary is comparable to other Washington institutions, but promotion potential varies by department.

Cons

The workplace is generally disorganized and there is no documentation for day to day procedures and financial management. Junior staff will not have access to natural light.

10. GREAT

Pros

Intelligent people Relevant Research Respected by US government

Cons

Summer is a slow season

11. Great staff and scholarly environment, so-so management, limited professional development opportunities

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing hardworking staff and a great environment where you can network with international scholars and policy experts. Always something exciting going on and a great place to learn about policy.

Cons

Job experiences vary wildly between programs. Some are excellent and well funded, others have insecure funding, poor management, and unclear mission/goals. Senior management is all over the place. Talks a big game about improvements and supporting junior staff, but fails to put money where their mouth is. Program assistants are extremely underpaid for what they are asked to do, and there are little to no advancement or professional development opportunities. There is a distinct feeling that senior management is afraid if staff gains skills they will leave the Wilson Center, which they were going to do anyway since there is no promotion potential and most salaries are capped very low. There is also no staff training when you arrive and the bureaucracy is deeply confusing and arcane. Expect to spend 6 months just learning how to interact with the various departments and complete paperwork successfully. There are signs of improvement (updating website, new marketing tools, attempt to standardize budget tracking), but for every step forward new management takes, they seem to take two steps back.

Advice to Management

Improve benefits and support training and professional development of staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed