Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Reviews

Updated April 7, 2015
36 reviews filtered by
3.8
Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Director, President & CEO Jane Harman
Jane Harman

1. Good opperunity, depending on what you make of it

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to essenitally create your own schedule and oppertunities, looks good on a resume.

Cons

Work can be boring and a litte unstructured

2. I was a research assistant there, helping a visitor scholar on her research.

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Pros

The place is amazing. The research topics are awesome, there is always an even about something interesting happening where you can go to learn, to make networking or to have free food. Everybody there is helpful and I had a great supervisor.

Cons

As I wasn't an actual employee I didn't have major perks on working there. I think the only thing I could possibly complain is that they didn't pay the interns at that time.

Advice to Management

Everything went very well to me. I just couldn't complain. If I could, I would be working there until today. I couldn't stay more because I was on a semester program and I had to return to my university in Brazil.

3. Program Intern- Global Women's Leadership Initiative

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Pros

Great Networking Opportunities
    Access to Events
    Great Staff

Cons

No potential for growth within the group

5. Great place for Staff Interns!

Former Intern - Staff Intern
    Former Intern - Staff Intern

Pros

I was a staff intern at the Wilson Center and I really enjoyed my experience. It does vary greatly by program, however, but all the staff interns I knew liked their work and found it challenging (even if the social media stuff got a bit boring once in a while). Scholar Interns were mixed on their experience-- really depends heavily on who your scholar is/the kind of work they do. Overall, full of incredibly nice, brilliant, and genuine people. The intern coordinator, Krisha, is fantastic, and really wants to see you succeed. Loved it there!

Cons

Not too many opportunities to get to know other interns. Also, experience really varies based on program and manager. Doesn't seem like there's much of an opportunity for career advancement either. Staff interns are also mostly unpaid.

6. With an incredible manager, it can be a great experience

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I had an incredible manger who allowed me the freedom and trust to do substantive work, both aiding the programs and learning a great deal along the way.

Cons

Depending on your team, you might have a very different experience than I did. Some teams seem to not provide their interns with the responsibility that I was given. There is also little opportunity for career advancement.

7. Scholar Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

Pros

Great hands on experience, worked on a variety of research assignments

Cons

Sometimes slow, but nothing major to speak on

8. some of the smartest people you will ever meet!

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Pros

loved that everyday i was exposed to some of DC's most brilliant; this think tank has a great reputation and is very active

Cons

the office i was in was very disorganized and staff were constantly staying late

9. Research Intern

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Pros

Great place to intern if you want to pursue academia.

Cons

Almost no potential to become full-time.

10. Great place for an internship

Former Intern - Research Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

Pros

Intellectual atmosphere, high quality research facilities and support, broad range of permanent programs and variety of research through its fellowship program. The research intern program is well coordinated; since you all work in a bullpen there is a lot of opportunity to meet other interns and learn about their projects and the scholars they are assisting. There are also organization-wide happy hours, which are a great way to meet permanent staff and scholars. The best part of working at the Wilson Center is the exposure to the incredible diversity of research and programming. I remember taking a break from my project to see a former Secretary of State speak for an hour. At how many places do you get to do that? Wilson Center also has a strong reputation as a truly nonpartisan think tank, which is increasingly rare in this town.

Cons

The scholar I worked for was great and very flexible with scheduling and time off, but it depends largely on the scholar's schedule and management style. The research internship is not really a viable avenue to permanent employment at the Wilson Center; you work for a visiting fellow or scholar, so the person you work with the most will be gone in six months. The best way to get to know permanent staff is to intern for one of the programs, but even so the Center doesn't hire for permanent positions very often. That said, the experience itself and the reputation of the Center is marketable. If you are in school, it's likely an unpaid internship. If you've recently graduated a VERY small stipend may be available.

Advice to Management

Pay your interns an actual hourly rate above the minimum wage.

Toxic environment

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars full-time

Pros

Program staff are smart and dedicated to work. Nice collegiality the further you are from C Suite. Interesting programs with great speakers. Opportunity to learn a lot about foreign policy.

Cons

Toxic management. Unpredictable CEO with unreasonable demands and an insatiable need to be in front of camera. Upper management bends to her every whim.

Advice to Management

Nothing will happen until there is change at the top.

Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Photos