Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014
3.7

Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Director, President & CEO Jane Harman
Jane Harman

Learning experience as an intern.

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The location was beautiful and there was a food court in the building which made lunch time and coffee breaks convenient.

Cons

I learned here that as a research assistant that I need customer/client interaction. I spent days and nights researching and analyzing data by myself. I missed the interaction with people. This was a real learning experience for me personally. The center was great, the pay was decent, the scholar was amazing who taught me so much.

Great staff, terrible senior leadership

Current Employee - Mid-level Staffer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Mid-level Staffer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of smart people, junior-level staffers are generally close-knit, many opportunities for collaboration, good work-life balance for program staff, always a lot going on (in terms of both events and publications).

Cons

Few opportunities for promotion or professional development; low morale; high turnover. CEO of the Wilson Center is petty, tyrannical, and demanding. As such, a lot of needless stress and chaos is created — which leads to a bunch of unnecessary work and very high turnover rates; within the last 18 months, there have been a total of six VPs of Communications and/or Development, because there's just no pleasing the CEO and she treats people very poorly.

Get rid of the current CEO. Be less of a top-down organization. Create more opportunities for junior-level people to move up.

Great internship

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars as an intern

Pros

Flexible time, great people there

Cons

No compensation for the hard-working interns.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive but disorganized

Pros

The program staff are very friendly and helpful. Salary is comparable to other Washington institutions, but promotion potential varies by department.

Cons

The workplace is generally disorganized and there is no documentation for day to day procedures and financial management. Junior staff will not have access to natural light.

GREAT

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Pros

Intelligent people
    Relevant Research
    Respected by US government

Cons

Summer is a slow season

Wilson Center Internship

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I have been the intern there for one year now. It is a very warm working environment with specialists around the world It has been ranked as the NO.10 think tank in the world think tank ranking. Personally I really there especially the building. The only building you can see the sky from its roof near National Mall. People working there are the experts of their field. Very passionate about their research and every week they invite cool guests there. I saw my idle Greenspan there. And they take a professional profile picture for every intern for free. You can post that for LinkedIn Bio! Definitely recommend Wilson Center. Apply for it!

Cons

Unpaid. And it is not that easy to become a official staff from interns there. Have to be more than one year. Somebody two.

Great staff and scholarly environment, so-so management, limited professional development opportunities

Former Employee - Program Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing hardworking staff and a great environment where you can network with international scholars and policy experts. Always something exciting going on and a great place to learn about policy.

Cons

Job experiences vary wildly between programs. Some are excellent and well funded, others have insecure funding, poor management, and unclear mission/goals. Senior management is all over the place. Talks a big game about improvements and supporting junior staff, but fails to put money where their mouth is. Program assistants are extremely underpaid for what they are asked to do, and there are little to no advancement or professional development opportunities. There is a distinct feeling that senior management is afraid if staff gains skills they will leave the Wilson Center, which they were going to do anyway since there is no promotion potential and most salaries are capped very low. There is also no staff training when you arrive and the bureaucracy is deeply confusing and arcane. Expect to spend 6 months just learning how to interact with the various departments and complete paperwork successfully. There are signs of improvement (updating website, new marketing tools, attempt to standardize budget tracking), but for every step forward new management takes, they seem to take two steps back.

Improve benefits and support training and professional development of staff.

So much to learn around knowledgable and motivated people

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

There were many opportunities to learn from influential people. The Wilson Center has cultivated an inspirational environment. I learned something new every day.

Cons

There was often too much administrative work that did not require brain power.

Make the intern experience more structured

Great place to work in foreign relations

Former Employee - Staff Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly and knowledgable coworkers, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Slow work pace, limited budget

What to expect while working at the WWC

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The amount of detailed as well as cohesive materials published and presented via live/webcast events is like no other place. In addition, the ties the Center has with local, national and international thinkers, politicians, professors and experts is paramount to the current success of the Center.

Lastly, staff members will treat you like if you were part of their families.

Cons

The WWC website is not very user-friendly and does not display the best products the Center has to offer, 'hiding the lede.'

The organization lacks synergy among the various programs.

Worked for Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars? Contribute to the Community!