Woodruff Arts Center Reviews

2.3
Virginia Hepner

1. 15+ year veteran of the Arts Center

I have been working at Woodruff Arts Center

Pros

Good benefits, smart coworkers, nice facilities, well-known

Cons

Low salaries, few raises, pressure, low budgets

2. A great place to gain experience.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers in an upscale non-profit environment.

Cons

Occasional weekend and evening work hours.

3. Great Non-profit committed to excellence

Current Employee - Woodruff Arts Center Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Woodruff Arts Center Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working for a non-profit that does so much in the community. It's a great organization with good values and good leadership running it. We have had some positive leadership changes in the past 1/1.5 years and I see things only getting better.

Cons

Average pay-probably consistent for non-profits. Probably low for corporate america. Also not enough vacation time for the amount of hours put in.

Advice to Management

Do more company appreciation. HR doesn't really have the resources to do many HR related team-building initiatives. Usually these team building activities are organized by the department you are part of.

One of the worst jobs in my career

Former Employee - Intermediate Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intermediate Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They paid very well. The people (direct coworkers) are very nice to work with. Other than that there is not much I can say that is nice. I was happy when my contract ended.

Cons

IT software and technology is extremely dated. Most software is 10+ years old. That alone will set back your career as a developer. So do not expect to learn anything new and exciting. The management and director level staff is clueless for the most part. They have directors that are in way over their heads. Ex: Managers that are managing departments that they have no clue what the department actually does on a day to day basis. They hire paper pushers for all the management positions so explaining technology to them is like explaining quantum physics to an orangutan. The upper level managers treat their departments like fiefdoms and there is always infighting about resources. This place turned me off from ever working at a non-profit again.

Advice to Management

Fire most of the managers/directors and hire new management that knows what they are managing.

Dysfunctional organization, traditional and unchanging

I worked at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Every now and then there are real gems in the works of art produced. The people involved on the artistic side of things are inspiring

Cons

Culture is strictly top-down hierarchical and innovation does not flow much because senior leadership is clueless of the inefficiencies and self-interest perpetuated by middle management. The longer you stay at this organization the longer your skills go unused and you forget what it feels like to be a valued employee. Innovation was not fostered here.

Advice to Management

Change leaders, removal of middle management as needed to foster a inclusive and innovative work environment. Progress is stymied by rampant self-interest, unskilled, and "CMA" personalities. Organized chaos.

Great Company, Low pay

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Woodruff Arts Center as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Low pay and micro managed

3 Years and You're Out

I worked at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some amazing and dedicated staff members. Great art (when they're not shilling 2nd and 3rd class art that belongs to other museums). A good community of supporters for certain departments.

Cons

The directors of the HMA are a JOKE. You'll start working here thinking "they're not that bad" and leave realizing they are the devil incarnate. The head of the HMA keeps everyone fearing for their jobs so no one wants to take risks or speak up. Those that do will promptly find themselves looking for a new job. Case in point - when the new HMA opened in 2005 they hired 3 new curators who were promised great things. All 3 left within 5 years, mainly because the directors wouldn't let them do their jobs. I worked at the museum, but as far as I've heard, the whole WAC is deeply flawed.

Advice to Management

LEAVE and don't come back. Oh wait, no other museums in their right mind would hire you.

The WAC was THE worst place I ever worked.

Former Employee - Administration - WAC in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Administration - WAC in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Inspiring surroundings, nicer people in the Divisions (High, ASO, etc.)

Cons

60+ hours a week, with no overtime, a fight to take vaca days you're entitled to, leaving your desk for lunch is "frowned upon"; No recognition of good performance; Inept (at best) people at the top of management; discriminatory management ... Overall, a completely depressing, unfulfilling and denegrating place to work.

Advice to Management

Fire the top managment in Strategy and Inititatives and start all over again.

Completely Dishonest Organization

I worked at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The actual day to day workers are awesome people to work with but they are scared of their jobs.

Cons

Horrible. Completely dishonest. If only the public new how horrible the inside inner-workings of this organization is. They do a great job at protecting themselves with high powered attorneys and great separation packages to keep you quiet. The truth about this fraud of an organization will be revealed soon.

Advice to Management

Management???
    They all should be in jail. All I can say is what they have done as of recently will bring this organization to its knees.

Management doesn't value their employees. No job growth

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Woodruff Arts Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This organization has a lot of potential and a great mission. Employees are regularly offered free tickets to events.

Cons

1) Managers and leadership are not stepping up to address and improve the communication and collaboration disfuntion that is rife through out the organization 2) there are no growth opportunities 3) Employees are extremely frustrated by their lack of a voice 4) Managers do not support their staff to move up in the organization

Advice to Management

Management needs to get in touch with how everyday staff and employees feel about their work environment. Most employees are frustrated and feel under valued with little to no opportunity for growth. There are problematic leaders and policies that need to be fixed or let go but nothing is being done to change and/or remove bad people and policies.