Woodruff-Sawyer & Co.

4.5

Charles Rosson

Boutique Culture with Large Brokerage Clout

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial environment, self-pace career advancement opportunities, flat management structure, great benefits and work-life balance

Cons

Fast paced growth environment with a strong dependence on technology solutions may be challenging for some

Might consider 100% casual dress policy

Woodruff Is Amazing!

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co.

Pros

This company is a hidden gem in certain areas of Northern CA. Because it is employee owned, we can do what is best for clients, without levels of politics. Employees are genuine and make this seem like a family. They give you every tool and more that you need to do your job well!

Cons

They need to market in certain areas of Northern CA. Outside of SF, clients think we are lawyers.

Fun environment, exceptionally talented people & fantastic leadership all focused on superior levels of service

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunities if committed, passionate, willing to work hard and truly care about the clients first. Flexible and engaged leadership team. Strong push to be a leader in technology for our clients. Fiercely independent. Enjoy working in a service oriented, collaberative environment with fantastic people.

Cons

As with any service organization there are times of stress around meeting deliverable deadlines with renewals and anniversary dates. Just the nature of the industry. Some times during the year are busier than others requiring longer hours to get the job done. Nothing out of the norm though.

Continue to focus on training and personal development to maintain high levels of job satisfaction and engagement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A breath of fresh air for the brokerage business...

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

After spending years working for one of the big box brokers, working at WSandCo has been an amazing breath of fresh air. This company is very client focused, and if it makes sense for the client, it gets done. This is an old school brokerage house that feels like how broking was done 20 years ago...done right! Senior Management is very involved and no one is left feeling alone and unsupported. Great people, great support and great work/life balance.

Cons

Absolutely none - coming from a big box broker with a lot of issues/cons, there is nothing to complain about regarding WSandCo!

Don't change a thing. Your involvement in accounts and people's careers sets you apart from the competition - employees are happy and clients are happy!

Great Culture!

Current Employee - Senior Acct Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Acct Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture, work environment and investment in employees are above any other competing firm out there! They provide every other Friday off for those who are Senior Account Managers and below. Autonomy is rampant but expectations are that you will perform your best. Many who take a position here as their first job have no idea how great this company is.

Cons

They could have a training program for producers and account executives- no formal plan.

An Insurance Brokerage that truly embraces entrepreneurial spirit

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Open door management style, a very supportive environment for new ideas and willingness to try new things
    -Flextime
    -Charitable contribution matching, good benefits, 401k match
    -plenty of impromptu margarita parties and great co-workers!
    -company has exciting things on the horizon

Cons

-currently no gym membership or wellness program

Great Place to Work. Great Life/Work Balance

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible hours, great communication, great management

Cons

None as management is wonderful

None

Good Experience - Great People

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Woodruff-Sawyer is not only a good place to work, but has great employees. People are generally passionate about what they do and creating a better experience for their clients and colleagues.

Some of the biggest positives include:
    -- Passionate employees and senior leadership
    -- Great work-life balance (some people have every other Friday off)
    -- Fun opportunities to socialize outside of work (company picnic, Halloween Party, etc.)
    -- Knowledgeable staff - there is always more to learn from other’s expertise
    -- Good benefits
    -- Entrepreneurial spirit - there are opportunities to get in-front of leadership with different project or group ideas

Cons

While I enjoy working for WS, there are a few things that could be improved. Some of this depends on the opportunities within a department.

For me these would include:
    -- Internal teams can be small and busy, sometimes it takes longer than expected to get internal projects done
    -- Limited growth – this really depends on your department/interests, I wanted experience I couldn’t gain through my role
    -- Limited “fun” benefits – WS offers great health and life benefits, I would have enjoyed more on gym discounts, wellness benefits, or PTO vs sick and vacation. This again is personal preference

Good upper management, poor middle management

Former Employee - Client Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Client Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Terrific benefits and work atmosphere

Cons

middle management is pleasant but fairly incompetent

Great place to work short-term.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co.

Pros

Above average pay, fantastic benefits, great work/life balance, located in the midst of the financial district, easy to get to from BART.

Cons

Tend to have favorites, hard work does not get recognized, unreasonable expectations, employees not respected, spend too much time with gossip.

Worked for Woodruff-Sawyer & Co.? Contribute to the Community!