Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution President & Director Susan K. Avery
Susan K. Avery

Excellent place to work.

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Pros

Innovative exciting work.
    You get to be on the cutting edge of ocean technology which includes ship technology, submarines, AUVs, and ROVs. There is an abundance of work if you are proactive about networking. And for the most part everyone is very happy to work together.
    Casual - people bring their dogs to work as long as they are behaved, no dress-code

Cons

Lower pay than industry.
    Woods Hole is very quiet during the winter months. Some people get bored with the community but Boston is only an 1-1/2 to 2 H hour drive North.

Great

Current Employee - Research Engineer  in  Woods Hole, MA
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Woods Hole, MA

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Family life . . .

Cons

Salary . . . .

Exciting research, completely inept management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woods Hole, MA

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-best oceanographic work in the world
    -lots of opportunity for collaboration with very bright, skilled people
    -great engineering to go along with the science
    -communications dept. offers excellent public outreach training & experience

Cons

-financial mismanagement on epic scale; the institution is in major trouble
    -current director (Avery) is completely self-centered and treats employees with disdain. She has ignored looming financial problems throughout her tenure. She also can't say a coherent sentence that hasn't been written for her by someone else, and sometimes not even then.
    -Because the scientists are all on soft money, there's a prevailing attitude of "every man for himself," with little effort or attention put into the institution in general.
    -General assumption that your personal life is not nearly as important as work. People who stake out evenings and weekends as personal time are second-class employees.

-Get a new Director.
    -Make decision-making more transparent. Too many big decisions are simply announced, and nobody knows what "facts" were used to make them.
    -Improve communication within the institution: Require dept. heads and directors of the institutes to sit down with each other a few times a year.
    -Get a development group that can do its job. The efforts here are feeble at best.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Beautiful location

Former Employee - IT Systems Assistant III  in  Woods Hole, MA
    Former Employee - IT Systems Assistant III in Woods Hole, MA

I worked at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Many dynamic and smart staff. Everyone is friendly with each other. Found the Titanic Ship that sank in the Atlantic ocean.

Cons

Driven by research and grant money from places like NSF. With the economy the way it is, many cutbacks occurred.

Engage more with your employees in a positive way. Many times, I felt like I was left out at Sea with only a lifeboat and a life-line ( my mind ); especially doing IT Support.

Always exciting and doing good in the world.

Current Employee - Institute Administrator  in  Woods Hole, MA
    Current Employee - Institute Administrator in Woods Hole, MA

Pros

Family like atmosphere. People who value your work. Contributing to the greater good. Scientists are amazing people and fun to work with!

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to get funding for projects, particularly in the current economic situation but we make the best of it.

Challenging work, good people, difficult living environment for single folks

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar  in  East Falmouth, MA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in East Falmouth, MA

I worked at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

WHOI has some really wonderful people-as scientists and co-workers. There is a lot of freedom in terms of individual research, and deep expertise in many different fields. The community is very friendly which is great for new people showing up.

Salary was competitive or better with other institutions of the same caliber. For post-doc positions the duration of the fellowship is too short, it really only works for someone who already has a job coming in, or is ready to start prepping grants within 6 months of arrival.

Cons

The relentless pressure of fundraising can be overwhelming, depending on the person/program they are relying upon. Also, the Cape is pretty isolated in the winter and the dating situation is pretty bleak if you are single.

2year post doc fellowship! Give someone enough time to concentrate on getting work done and getting a real job! Also, I felt like I heard way too much gossip about hiring and promotion for a non-tenure track scientist. I think if would be better for everyone if those discussion truly stayed private.

WHOI is a great place to intern and build research skills.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Woods Hole, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Woods Hole, MA

I worked at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Pros

-Interesting work
    -Travel opportunities are possible if desired
    -Friendly people
    -Employees have high levels of autonomy
    -Great location

Cons

-Low pay
    -Work for an intern can be repetitive at times

Support mid career and younger scientists more, they help to make WHOI the place it is.

Used to be a great place to work, but new top management is causing a lot of dissatisfaction and concern.

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Pros

Smart, hard-working, and mostly collegial workforce that enjoys a generally relaxed work environment. Excellence is the norm. Salaries and benefits are reasonable to good for the geographic area and the industry.

Cons

New top management is undermining morale in a variety of ways: ineffectual, secretive, doesn't follow official policies and procedures when it doesn't suit them, doesn't seem to appreciate the challenges of being a completely "soft money" enterprise, especially the implications for attracting and retaining top-notch scientific and technical staff. Tensions that barely existed before are steadily increasing between the scientific/technical staff and the ever-growing administration. We appear to be undergoing a tacit shift in authority from the scientific to the financial leadership that is bound to undermine our mission and reputation if it isn't corrected.

Do something to demonstrate that official policies and procedures apply to everyone at the Institution, including yourselves. Stop announcing major organizational changes and newly created titles and positions after the fact. Stop the trend toward an increasingly top-heavy organization.

I disliked working at WHOI based on my responsibilities, but I am extremely happy to have the experience as a whole.

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Pros

Prestige, experience, location, personal relationships : WHOI is an excellent place to work (just not for me personally)

Cons

Personally not interested in the work I was tasked with, so it seemed dull and tedious

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution - Great Science, High Stress, Little Administrative Support and Below Average Pay

Current Employee - Research Specialist
    Current Employee - Research Specialist

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Pros

The science. Few places in the world compare to Woods Hole. The combination of a very active scientific staff and the superior skills of the technical staff produce top flight world class data.

Cons

The funding and salary structure. The institution is an eclectic collection of entrepanuers (some more successful than others) that would benefit from a more administrative involvment. In most instances the scientific and technical staffs are left to fend for themselves. WHOI is a soft money institution in which the overhead costs are high. It seems as if we are not getting the bang for our overhead buck in most cases.

Management seems to focus exclusively on the scientific staff - meetings with the technical and graded staff have been few and far between over the past 20 years. I would suggest a more hollistic approach that includes rather than excludes the technical and graded staff at WHOI.

Worked for Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution? Contribute to the Community!