Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution

Add Photos

Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution President & Director Susan K. Avery

Susan K. Avery

Great

Research Engineer (Current Employee)
Woods Hole, MA

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFamily life . . .

ConsSalary . . . .

Advice to Senior Management.

Beautiful location

IT Systems Assistant III (Former Employee)
Woods Hole, MA

I worked at Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMany dynamic and smart staff. Everyone is friendly with each other. Found the Titanic Ship that sank in the Atlantic ocean.

ConsDriven by research and grant money from places like NSF. With the economy the way it is, many cutbacks occurred.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage more with your employees in a positive way. Many times, I felt like I was left out at Sea with only a lifeboat and a life-line ( my mind ); especially doing IT Support.

Challenging work, good people, difficult living environment for single folks

Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee)
East Falmouth, MA

I worked at Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution as a contractor for more than a year

ProsWHOI has some really wonderful people-as scientists and co-workers. There is a lot of freedom in terms of individual research, and deep expertise in many different fields. The community is very friendly which is great for new people showing up.

Salary was competitive or better with other institutions of the same caliber. For post-doc positions the duration of the fellowship is too short, it really only works for someone who already has a job coming in, or is ready to start prepping grants within 6 months of arrival.

ConsThe relentless pressure of fundraising can be overwhelming, depending on the person/program they are relying upon. Also, the Cape is pretty isolated in the winter and the dating situation is pretty bleak if you are single.

Advice to Senior Management2year post doc fellowship! Give someone enough time to concentrate on getting work done and getting a real job! Also, I felt like I heard way too much gossip about hiring and promotion for a non-tenure track scientist. I think if would be better for everyone if those discussion truly stayed private.

WHOI is a great place to intern and build research skills.

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution

Pros-Interesting work
-Travel opportunities are possible if desired
-Friendly people
-Employees have high levels of autonomy
-Great location

Cons-Low pay
-Work for an intern can be repetitive at times

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport mid career and younger scientists more, they help to make WHOI the place it is.

Used to be a great place to work, but new top management is causing a lot of dissatisfaction and concern.

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution

ProsSmart, hard-working, and mostly collegial workforce that enjoys a generally relaxed work environment. Excellence is the norm. Salaries and benefits are reasonable to good for the geographic area and the industry.

ConsNew top management is undermining morale in a variety of ways: ineffectual, secretive, doesn't follow official policies and procedures when it doesn't suit them, doesn't seem to appreciate the challenges of being a completely "soft money" enterprise, especially the implications for attracting and retaining top-notch scientific and technical staff. Tensions that barely existed before are steadily increasing between the scientific/technical staff and the ever-growing administration. We appear to be undergoing a tacit shift in authority from the scientific to the financial leadership that is bound to undermine our mission and reputation if it isn't corrected.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something to demonstrate that official policies and procedures apply to everyone at the Institution, including yourselves. Stop announcing major organizational changes and newly created titles and positions after the fact. Stop the trend toward an increasingly top-heavy organization.

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution - Great Science, High Stress, Little Administrative Support and Below Average Pay

Research Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution

ProsThe science. Few places in the world compare to Woods Hole. The combination of a very active scientific staff and the superior skills of the technical staff produce top flight world class data.

ConsThe funding and salary structure. The institution is an eclectic collection of entrepanuers (some more successful than others) that would benefit from a more administrative involvment. In most instances the scientific and technical staffs are left to fend for themselves. WHOI is a soft money institution in which the overhead costs are high. It seems as if we are not getting the bang for our overhead buck in most cases.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement seems to focus exclusively on the scientific staff - meetings with the technical and graded staff have been few and far between over the past 20 years. I would suggest a more hollistic approach that includes rather than excludes the technical and graded staff at WHOI.

Interesting job to see the world.

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution

ProsGet to travel the world and see interesting things. Work with leaders in their field. Flexible time off when needed.

ConsLittle room for advancement unless people retire or leave above your current position. Long time at sea. Dead in the winter.

The scientists are exceptional, as are the postdocs and students.

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution

ProsThe scientists, the postdocs, and the students. Opportunities for collaboration are incredible. People are enthused about the science. The reputation is outstanding.

ConsSoft money place, so scientists must fund all of their own salaries. The high multiplier makes this difficult. Benefits are good but not exceptional.

Incredible science and travel opportunities

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution

ProsGreat people and very engaging work, with many opportunities to travel. Flexibility in terms of being able to work on multiple projects.

ConsSalary not the best, recent changes in benefits. Not much long term job security (job linked to individual scientists grants)

Lots of room for improvement

I have been working at Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution

ProsGreat work environment; intellectually stimulating

ConsWeak leadership and too many fiefdoms

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan more strategically, don't get mired in the tactics.

Worked for Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution CEO Susan K. Avery. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Woods Hole Oceanographic Instuitution employees.