Woodward

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014

Woodward Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas A. Gendron
Thomas A. Gendron

Pros
  • Good money, great location, great benefits if you are single (in 13 reviews)

• 1 , some interesting technology, Good benefits/salary for the region (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • it is very difficult to work with upper management, specially with direct supervisor (in 6 reviews)

• Compensation is fair, but company is located in a high cost of living area (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive Experience at Woodward

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at Woodward

Pros

Innovative company with a great location close to Chicago. Interned there for a summer and was treated as a regular employee. Gave me many projects to sharpen my skills and advance my career.

Cons

People dedicated to their work. Not a lot of interaction within the cafe or outside the office.

Continue the intern program!

Not a mutual fit

I worked at Woodward full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Looked forward to doing something meaningful with a growing company

Cons

Did not connect with supervisor and other team members

A caste system

Current Employee - Account Manager in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Woodward full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

OK benefits but have been cut every year for the past few, blaming Obamacare wearing thin. Recently kicked spouses off the benefit package

Cons

If you are part of the elite (directors, VPs) you can do well, big bucks and they have amazingly extravagant leadership trips twice a year. If you aren't the elite, good luck. The past six years raises have not met the inflation rate. If you complain the mantra is: "be glad you even have a job"
    Complete separation of the management from the workers, if someone hadn't pointed out the sales director to me I wouldn't know who it was,

Share the wealth, come down & meet the people who get the work done, throw us a crust of bread now & then instead of "Let them eat cake"

Don't do it!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Woodward full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good money, great location, great benefits if you are single.

Talent is high and great to work with. Lots you can learn

Cons

The place is is just too lean and getting leaner.

More thought over stock price than quality or employee satisfaction. Note, HR is not there for you!

Zero training, be ready to be dropped on the deep side of the pool and expect to swim if you want to cut it.

Balance stock price with employee input and satisfaction.

Stop sacrificing quality at the cost of cheap suppliers who only lead to more product issues and unhappy customers.

Positive and Helpful Intern Experience

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Duarte, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Duarte, CA

I worked at Woodward as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This company was wonderful to intern at because it gave me an understanding of a variety of different careers and the possibilities involved in each one. As a mechanical engineer, I was able to actually make a difference in the quality control of the companies product and lean an incredible amount about everything involved in the process.

Cons

In the department I was working in, there were many regulations imposed by their customers that prevent much of any change to the product or manufacturing process in general.

Keep finding ways to improve the manufacturing! There is much more work to go!

Manufacturing experience at skokie location.

Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Woodward full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, insurance.there is 401k plan with employer match, dollar for dollar, disability plan is OK, vacation plan is OK.

Cons

it is very difficult to work with upper management, specially with direct supervisor. they do not recognize what new employee contribute to the organization, specially when employee is overqualified with many years of experience and skills, promotions are getting only friends,

recognize new highly skilled employees with good education with many years of experience

OK, if you don't pay attention to how things happen behind the scenes

Former Employee - Electronics Assembler in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Electronics Assembler in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Woodward full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good medical benefits for employees. Stable work environment. "Competitive" pay (not the lowest wage, but certainly not above the local average either).

Cons

Too little regard for employee happiness - we were expected to show up every day and do a great job and be happy we had a job at all. The few times people complained, they were met with hostility or open threats about being fired. The term "team building" was a foreign concept when I was working there. Very little training for my position, and virtually no new-hire orientation. Medical benefits for non-employee family members isn't any better than other companies in the area. Several positions in the company appeared to be filled by people who were either friends of the boss or "happened to be in the right place, right time" (i.e. under-qualified personnel in critical technical roles).

Take more time to train employees, listen to them and what they're concerned about. A happy employee is a hard working employee, but a disgruntled employee can destroy your company's reputation even after he/she has left.

Weak leadership, behind the times

Current Employee - Finance in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Finance in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Woodward full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Talented staff
    Positive financial outlook

Cons

Woodward is striving to be lean but has not properly invested in business systems that allow efficient processes outside the manufacturing floor.

They continue to make baby steps in the right direction, but the result is one system bolted onto another. Manual processes are still pervasive. Large projects are typically assigned to "members" to complete in addition to their standard workload and without project management training. Over-collaboration slows down progress and there is rarely a true decision maker.

If the desire is to continue with "One Woodward"...

Break the cycle of over-collaboration by empowering decision making below the executive level. It is not possible to obtain 100% approval 100% of the time. Too often, months of work is thrown out the door simply because one President or VP didn't like change.

Consider when "lean" has gone too far in the global support services environment.

Moving to new potential

I have been working at Woodward as an intern

Pros

Collaborative working environment, starting to move to new systems with the rest of the industry. Stable company with lots of opportunity for experience

Cons

team is scattered across country, all communication is via teleconferencing

Not as appealing to college hires

OK

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Woodward full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good medical benefits, good people to work with.

Cons

No long term vision, no plan for success.