Woodward Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014

Woodward Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas A. Gendron
Thomas A. Gendron

Pros
  • Great benefits, great reputation in the Fort Collins community (in 12 reviews)

• 1 , some interesting technology, Good benefits/salary for the region (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • if you dont increase peoples wages to balance out the high insurance costs and the cost of living in this area (in 3 reviews)

• A little too much short term thinking by upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Moving to new potential

I have been working at Woodward as an intern

Pros

Collaborative working environment, starting to move to new systems with the rest of the industry. Stable company with lots of opportunity for experience

Cons

team is scattered across country, all communication is via teleconferencing

Not as appealing to college hires

Great products, great people, engaging work, not sure it's a career

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Woodward full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging and interesting problems to solve, as an engineer, difficult to ask for better
    Strong values with lots of sincere emphasis on integrity
    Great business outlook; energy, controls and aviation are great markets at the moment
    Multinational
    Work-life balance, on the whole, is pretty good
    Some solid managers (they just need to be pushed up the ladder)
    Fast organic growth
    Manufactures large percentage of products, and investing heavily in additional manufacturing capability
    Enjoy working with my peers
    Colorado north front range is hard to beat

Cons

Many of the below are likely due to the fast growth, but still need to be addressed
    Vague advancement roadmap
    Vague roles and responsibilities, which is actually quite interesting as a decent amount of emphasis is placed on defining roles and responsibilities in charts and spreadsheets, however, the follow thru is lacking
    Following from above, excessive micro-management
    Upper management goal statements do not reflect action (I attribute this to management not fully understanding the implications of the stated goals due to rapid growth taking them out of their areas of expertise)
    Low emphasis on individual continuous improvement (education), within engineering
    Very slow to change (but could be said of my last employer as well, pretty much a given with any company that provides product for highly regulated industries (commercial power generation/aerospace)
    Poor reception of ideas originating from relative outsiders

Trust the talent you hired. We also want the company to succeed, and have some pretty good ideas to advance that common goal.

Lots of learning...slow to change

I have been working at Woodward full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to improve your professional development. I truly believe they live their values. They have a great reputation in the community and is still a desired place to work. Their benefits package is the best I've ever seen, though it is being pared down to meet Wall Street expectations.

Cons

Very slow to change. Leadership has a hard time saying no to projects. Couple that tendency with restrictions on hiring for the past two years and it leaves you with more work than can possibly get done. This has a demoralizing effect on the workforce.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, great products, growing fast

I worked at Woodward full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people to work with, global company so opportunity for a lot of interaction with diverse cultures, growth over last 10 years has been amazing, solid long term strategies

Cons

Fast growth and related growing pains - change can be hard, training is self-directed for most roles so starting with little experience can be challenging for some

Ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Woodward full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people, decent overall company view, yearly bonuses, week off for winter holiday, excellent medical benefits, strong company standing in the market

Cons

Poor procedures in place, poor company structure, excessive redundancies in office environment across all divisions, poor clarity on person responsible for tasks

Get procedures in place and hold people accountable for them.

Woodward

I have been working at Woodward full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growth on the horizon. Positioned well to take advantage of broad based market growth.

Cons

Significant capital expenditures in anticipation of growth

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Woodward full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are great, and the work environment is comfortable. Most all the employees are easy to get along with. Working with managers to get time off is relatively easy, and they are accommodating to your schedule as long as you get your work done.

Cons

Office gossip can be bad. There are also a lot of cliques. Many of the perks and benefits that Woodward has been known for are starting to go away.

Pay attention to employee concerns.

Was better...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Woodward full-time for more than a year

Pros

Engineers will gain a lot of experience quickly. I have been able to work on a lot of different projects and learned a lot while here.

Cons

Instead of hiring when people leave, everyone is just required to work more at this location. It's very difficult to have a work-life balance.

Start treating employees like people rather than unlimited resources. Moral is constantly going down and many that I know are considering leaving.

Love the Company and Love the Culture

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Woodward as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone you meet at Woodward is extremely friendly and will always make an effort to greet you. Many employee's are happy to help if you have a question but of course at any company the opposite is true as well for some people. Everyone has great ethics as well as being extremely happy and proud to be working at the company. I know that some people would probably be bored doing some of the jobs but for most people it is a great company to work for and the pay is good too! Great company values, training procedures, and overall flow.

Cons

Sometimes it felt that there might be a disconnect between the upper level employees and the lower level workers. This probably isn't true for other departments though. I don't know how it is with other companies but I always like being on time to meetings and events but it seems like that isn't the case at Woodward.

We know you have a lot of work to do, please take the time sometimes to check on how much work we have to do and if we are able to get it done on schedule.

Shareholders up, employees down

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Woodward full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some talented engineers, for now

Cons

Allowing attrition w/o replacement. No raises. With ACA their number one draw; good benefits are not so good anymore. Many people working multiple positions, burn out a real problem.

Hang on to your talent....$ work well

Worked for Woodward? Contribute to the Community!