Woolpert

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael R. Flannery

I've learned a lot and this company has renewed my passion in surveying.

Survey Technician (Current Employee)

ProsVery flexible. Friendly coworkers. Lots of freedom to do what needs to be done. Get to see most of the country.

ConsExtensive travel. Very rarely in town. Pay not as high as I would like.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job. Perhaps focus on hiring more qualified persons.

Your title is more important than your skill.

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible work environment. Ability to relocate.

ConsVerbal / non official salary offers don't hold much water. Your title is more important than your skill level with too much focus on formal education and number of years experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate based on ability and performance or those employees that generate the profit will leave and generate it for a company that recognizes their value.

Was a great place to work at one time when it had a family attitude but now is being replaced with corporate culture.

Phase Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat people to work with. One of the few companies that has an advantage of employing techinically sound work force in a civil engineering field.

ConsSupervisors were switched a lot in the last few years. Restructuring the company has really not paid dividends. Company still expertimenting.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany upper management folks that need to either retire. Need to bring in more younger managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employee for over 10 years

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsI have had the opprotunity to work with production staff across all departments in many locations. With very few exceptions the production staff drives the company, are leaders in their industry and are the best I've worked with. It is common knowledge that they generate some of the best products in the industry.

ConsIn the last 5 years the company has become more cut throat from the top down. Good people are leaving at all levels with short or no notice, causing a big hit to moral. While production staff is working together better than ever managers are becoming more distant and difficult to work with every day.

Advice to Senior Management*Being an "employer of choice" takes more than a catch phrase and requies action at all levels.
    *Client focused project managers are numerous but there are no managers for internal projects to see that they also succeed on time and on budget.
    *Learn how to acqure a company and actually have staff from that company still on board after 12 months.
    *A company is built and succeeds with continuity at all levels. Upper management can not accurately make decisions that affect production without being in touch with production. The reverse is also true. More effort needs to be given to getting and staying on the same page.

One of the consulting firms in the industry that really pushes technology

Business Developer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work atmosphere. Tough business environment, but having the tech edge in a civil engineering community was an advantage.

ConsWhile sales is an important role, the typical engineering community does not really understand why sales and business development is a requirement. Woolpert had a large sales team, but when revenues dropped due to the economy, the sales team was downsized.

With many different service lines/products there was not a sole source strategy for a client.

It was a good company to work for, very friendly.

Structural Intern (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsVery friendly people work here, decent benefits. Manager was pretty nice. You had the option to do the 4-9-4 hour work week.

ConsIt got really slow at times, but you can not blame them for hearing about bids. Nothing else really too negative I would have to say.

Good company & good people but some corporate constraints

Phase Manager (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGood support services (HR, A/R, Admin services); managers subject to 360 reviews; wide variety of project types

ConsManagers might not always act on 360 review feedback. Corporate structure may be too rigid for some staff.

Group manager

Project Manager (Current Employee)

Prosmany local offices; decentralized control

Consmanagemnt distant at times; lukewarm support to new initiatives in terms of competitve market pricing.

Rollercoaster ride

Surveyor (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsOffice politics, not stable enough to make right decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a good job

Interesting place to work...if you're a geospatial guy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsLarge firm with offices across the country afford some opportunity to work in different locales. Geospatial department is always busy and constantly pulling in new work.

ConsGeospatial seems to be the only department that is busy. Seems that management is incapable of drumming up work for other departments. Very little work-sharing opportunities as offices try to preserve work for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your research before purchasing firms...especially those specializing in single and multi-family development in central Florida. And especially don't buy those firms when the market is cooling off.

Worked for Woolpert? Contribute to the Community!