Woolpert Reviews

Michael R. Flannery

1. Lots of projects in lots of different states and countries

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Provides opportunities for AEs to work on both local and national/international projects. Working on projects in all areas of the country and Japan/Europe lets me learn many different ways of designing and preparing construction documents.

Cons

Management and organizational changes have been evolving over the past year. While change is not always embraced, it seems like things are on track now and the future looks very bright.

Advice to Management

Continue to get feedback from employees and make this a fun place to work.

2. Family Oriented Firm with Class

I worked at Woolpert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone in the company is like one big family and they truly do care for one another and look out for what's best for the firm and what's best for the individuals that it's composed of.

Cons

Management changes and firm organization changes have thrown people off and made things kind of sporadic and uncomfortable for some, but it's getting situated.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and make sure they're happy always.

3. 16 year career and still going strong

Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

I'm biased - I love my company! What's to love? Great people first and foremost! My colleagues are life-long friends - I enjoy working with them and succeeding together! Smart and interesting clients, and a new-renewed focus to become a progressive engineering company that blends architecture\engineering and geospatial services. Although we are a 100+ year old firm, we have a new strategic plan that is helping us operate and make decisions as a single firm (not separate silos). This is propelling us to new heights of performance where we are growing in size and in profitability and rewarding those that help move us forward.

Cons

Honestly, we still have work to do become one of the best firms in America...in the world...but we are going to get there...We are making significant headway. It pains me to read some of the negative comments about this firm I so love - but as much as we try, we will not please all the people all the time. Consistent performance that brings consistent rewards will help us realize company greatness faster. I think we are building the processes, retaining and hiring the right people, and have the passion to do this.

Advice to Management

Continue to support our people - they're the reason for our success. Take some of the disparaging anonymous glassdoor reviews with a grain of salt - we are not perfect, but we are working hard to build a better company together; sometimes that means we have to make tough decisions to protect the greater good to build a company with long-term sustainability. For those who collaborate with their teammates, produce quality, attain goals, and remain committed to building a better Woolpert - long and prosperous careers will continue to be built! I joined the company as a technical phase manager 16 years ago and am continuing to grow in my career alongside my colleagues...and having a fun time doing it!

5. Varied Work Schedule

I worked at Woolpert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to work on some cool project using the latest technologies.

Cons

The company is constantly reorganizing and has high turn over. Either they work you until you start to burn out or work in nonexistent and you begin to worry about your job status.

6. Top heavy.

I have been working at Woolpert full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

On top of Technology with great benefits

Cons

Lack of communication from top down. Too much pressure to do it all (sell, manage, and production) with out support.

Advice to Management

bring the company back to a more geographic based management tree.

Cheap company that promotes being in support of employees but not

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Woolpert full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Allows remote work. Nothing else to say here. Really, nothing at all.

Cons

Any time to save a penny they will do it. Won't supply needed equipment if it costs more than $20. Lays off long time employees with no warning and little or no severance. Places goals for utilization that you have no control over.

Advice to Management

Stop saying employer of choice. Nowhere close. Start taking care of your employees more and not just the bottom line.

8. Do not work here if you want to be an engineer

Former Employee - Transportation Engineer in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Transportation Engineer in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Woolpert full-time

Pros

Cool pricey technology that gives the feel the company is ahead of its time.

Cons

Horrible business ethics, poor treatment of employees, and lack of Subject Matter Experts managing projects pertaining to their field.

Advice to Management

Don't try to grow in the engineering sector if you are not ready to place the appropriate business mechanisms to do so. This company has a big problem with saying one thing then doing another.

9. Great place to work and grow in your career

I have been working at Woolpert full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to make a career

Cons

Lots to do and a lot of travel

This company is caught in vicious cycle of continuous reorganization

I worked at Woolpert (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is usually plenty to do for the industrious. The company has won some decent contracts in recent years...

Cons

Mediocrity is rewarded in spades irregardless of the industrious. Senior Management is disconnected and myopic.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Decide what really matters and commit for the long haul. A desire to grow takes more than a statement to that affect.

11. Good place to start and build a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Woolpert full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diversified business lines, broad experience and expertise of staff and upper managment

Cons

Sometimes disconnected from the needs of production groups

RSS Feed </> Embed