Woolworths Limited

www.woolworthslimited.com.au

Woolworths Limited Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014
Woolworths Limited – Australia – “Outside view of the Woolworths Limited…”

Grant O'Brien

Pros
  • Friendly environment, nice coworker, flexible hours(in 4 reviews)

• Good career opportunities for people who want to progress, don't have to play politics to get ahead like you do in many other companies(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of pressure to continually cut wages, very rarely receive positive feedback of higher management, terrible , terrible work/ life balance(in 3 reviews)

• Staying up late, hard work depending on store, balancing customer service duties with filling(in 3 reviews)

Great potential for career

Service Supervisor (Current Employee) Ballarat (Australia)

ProsPay is ok, good complaint system, great to interact with customers, friendly staff most of the time. flexible with hours, no prior skills needed. good store transfer system

Conscan have trouble with managers, but if you get a good one its ok, if not bad luck. customers can be difficult or talk down to your,

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure managers are nice, unpleasant managers wont keep staff

Long term employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay usually above award & great incentives to keep you working hard & putting up with the stress that comes with the job.

ConsLong hours, limited work/life balance, HR not supportive or any action taken against managers that bully & harass staff. Swept under the carpet, only options are to quit or asked to be moved.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork environment improves from the top down. People work harder for you when your treated well, given flexibility & can trust HR teams
    that keep staff's best interest at hand & not siding with just the manager to protect themselves from workers comp claims.

Great for first job - beware if it's a career you are after

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProvides a good entry into the workforce for school/uni students. These employees will learn customer service skills and discipline within a work environment.

ConsExtremely investor-driven, not customer-driven. This is evident in less skilled management, decreased store presentation standards, a decreased focus on exceptional customer service, and decreasing levels of floor staff to assist and delight customers.

Experience here does not hold any prestige or clout within the corporate world.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cost Cutting

ProsGood people, good uni/school job.

ConsCost cutting everywhere, not taking into affect that it will have on departments and there employees. Management are rude and arrogant.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul management

Hectic and rewarding

Project Manager (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsI enjoyed the fast pace of my work environment. The breadth of scope is wide and deep which allows for a lot of learning. I had the oppotunity to work with a lot of great and dedicated people who were customer centric. The multiple complex environments made work very interesting and the excellent benefits made it very rewarding.

ConsThe proverbial question 'How do you turn an elephant around in a bathtub?' applies to this organisation. The size and complexity of the environments made it difficult to react quickly. Changes are accepted but slow to be implemented because of the complexity and size of the organisation.

Great for part time job and flexibility

Longlife Assistant (Former Employee) Glen Waverley (Australia)

ProsFlexible hours for people who are studying or do not want full time work

ConsLate Night Shifts can ruin your sleeping pattern

Woolworths

Shop Floor Department Coordinator (Current Employee) Cape Town (South Africa)

ProsGood company to grow your career in retail, wasts is a good benefit and you also get a thireen cheque. Also you get a 13% discount on any item you buy

ConsBad management most of them have no people skills and work load is never fairly spread out. you always doing more than one persons job but when it comes to your yearly performance rating of 1 the lowest to 4 the highest, they only rate you on your job title and not of the other extra work you've done. The company also care more about customers than their staff no matter what position or how long you have work for them you do something wrong once that may be big, there is no mercy no they will dismiss you without feeling remorse.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more peoples skills training and learn to lead by example, encouragement, and recognition for those who put their extra effort in. Be fair and just. Those things is what makes a good manager and do not lead by E.R. paperwork

Good during university studies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNight shifts complements uni timetables, good pay during studies, casual shifts easily fits around uni calendar

ConsStaying up late, hard work depending on store, balancing customer service duties with filling

Advice to Senior ManagementFlexibility and understanding towards casual staff is conducive to a good working relationship

Bad!

Service Cashier (Current Employee) Redbank Plains (Australia)

ProsCan't really think of any pros. I guess you meet some new friends.

ConsNever enoghh hours! Bullying & harassment from other staff and even management !!!!! Tried asking to get trained in new things as I was looking to make a career but was rejected that chance. My deparemtent manager abuses staff and treats them like garbage and has left a number of staff in tears.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo visit some stores, do another all ears survey and have a box we can add comments to. Stop sending store managing away on overseas holidays because they cut budgets and wages leaving staff short of money and struggling to pay bills. A lot of annoyed customers because of waiting in line for upto 15minitues because of your budget cuts.

Great casual job for a student

Cashier (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsPay is on the upper end of scale for casual retail jobs for students which is always good. Great first job with flexible hours. If you get bored in the position you're hired for, its fairly easy to transfer to another department. First store I worked at was great - efficient and friendly management. Overall a fairly well run company.

ConsOnly thing I can think of is management varies store to store, location to location (which should be obvious). The first store I worked at was great, the second store I transferred to wasn't. Management was strict, inflexible and uncaring because/and leading to a high staff turnover. I quit after 2 months at the second store.

Worked for Woolworths Limited? Contribute to the Community!