Woolworths Supermarkets

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Customer Service

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Auckland (New Zealand)

ProsBest customer service, best company to care about their employees.

ConsMaking money for the company and thinking about innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is the main tool to success.

Good to work as a part time, Not a good place for a career

Service Supervisor (Current Employee)

Pros1. Very decent pay and industry standard penalty pay
    2. Follows rules and regulations properly
    3. Try to give the best in customer service and help staff when they make decisions to help customers
    4. Try to make very safe work place and have its own rules apart from government rules to protect workers and customers
    5. Very good leave and sick leave system, try to help the workers to keep a very good work life balance.
    6. Promote private health care, gym membership and more through company HR website.
    7. Young work force with energy and fun, sometimes even 15 year old will be working giving the store a fresh look.

Cons1. Too much of politics in the management. Management gives promotions based on friendships and favours rather than talent and experience.
    2. Institutional racism exits in most of departments, Specially in service departments. Tend to employ people from same racial backgrounds.
    3. Performance measurement methods really outdated, hard working people goes unnoticed very easily.
    4. Due to inexperience managers and supervisors, very high level of waste and unhappy staff. trying follow very ineffient cost saving methods making customers really unhappy due to long queues.

Advice to Senior ManagementHead office needs to address and influence individual stores more often, specially in Human Resources. Hiring, Firing and Promoting process needs to be more centralised. Performance evaluation should not be based on department managers decisions alone. proper trained human resource personals needs to be in the store to identify individual talents without being biased. more efficient staffing mechanism needs to be implemented
    Have less part time and casual staff and employ more full time staff who is committed to the work and success of the company. specially who is really committed to retail as their choice of career industry.

Sensational

Replenishment (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsAwesome managers, awesome staff team mates, flexible roster, safety was the highest priority.
    Can't rave on about the managers anymore, they understand that happy staff = productivity.

ConsSome of the rude customers who are just out there to ruin your day because they have had a bad day themselves.
    Sometimes they can overload you with hours during inconvenient times

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to start a career

Service Cashier (Former Employee) Gympie (Australia)

ProsGet to practice a range of hard and soft skills. Opportunity for varying work. Dealing with the general public everyday. Coworkers are friendly. I wasn't witness to any negative office politics. Non-public staff facilities were dated, but I have been informed they have been modernized since departing. Staffing levels during off-peak hours can sometimes seem insufficient.

ConsPaid overtime can be difficult to get approved. Dealing with the general public. Shift hours can vary wildly week to week.

Generally a nice work environment

ProsReasonable work environment. Generally diverse co-workers. Decent pay.

ConsSometimes management positions are filled with nasty people. Hour cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck out your managers more. Too many cases of boss does what he wants and everyone else gets over it

Work-life balance was a plus

Nightfill (Former Employee) Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

ProsAs a part-time night fill staff during my Uni days, flexibility around work schedule was an important factor for me lasting 4 years there. Management is understanding of this, as all night fill staff were basically students.

ConsThere needs to be a proper structure to mentor part-time staff who wants to make a jump into graduate positions in the company.

great place to work

Duty Manager/4ic Checkout (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Prosi started a year ago and i am already a duty manager .Hard work does pay

ConsIts a great place to work but some people just look down on people which is not good .

Deli Assistant

Deli Assistant (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsFlexible working hours, suitable for people who doing full time study

ConsThese 3 years, Wow keep cutting working hours for every department, that means every staff getting less working hours and more work to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe department manager need to be very organised, because the staff working hours are getting less and less.

Store culture needs work.

Store Team Member (Former Employee) Adelaide (Australia)

ProsFlexability in shifts. Reasonable pay. Occasional free food.

ConsManagers/supervisors petty and would take offence when asked basic questions. Ridiculous amount of interview questions for entry level job. Managers would often disregard SDA agreement when scheduling shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the bureaucratic nonsense and let people get on with customer service.

Poor interviewing skills

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt has a good variety of food choices.

ConsThe intake of new possible employees in some cities is completely unprofessional. Spinning around on a chair and passing notes between yourself and your co-workers saying "you do it! "no you do it!!" to each other in-front of a prospective employee during an interview is NOT ACCEPTABLE and VERY unethical.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your staff better, or employ people who have respect and are able to confidently conduct a professional interview with any prospective employee's. The lack of respect and work ethic from your current employee's is appalling, it runs down the good name I am sure your company would like to maintain.

Worked for Woolworths Supermarkets? Contribute to the Community!