Word & Brown

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
3.1

John M Word III & Edward "Rusty" Brown

Great place to work! They truly care for their employees.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Orange, CA

I worked at Word & Brown full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They go out of their way to make your work experience great. There are a number of employee activities and events.

Cons

To be honest, there are very few cons to working there. They promote a wonderful work-life balance and each department is like it's own little family.

Surprised we're still around

I have been working at Word & Brown full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with on the staff level. Fun events that will get you drunk and give you lots of things to talk about the following Monday (SHE stayed in Catalina with John?!)

Cons

Management doesn't know what they're doing. We often scramble to abide by their wishes. Compensation is LOW for the amount of work that is expected. Keeping people around after the acquisition for the sake of keeping them and putting them in roles they have no grasp on is pretty ridiculous. Very much a boys club. So much so that a former employee was sexually harassed and the harasser is still working in Finance. Promises are made and never kept leading to bad morale. I have seen some of my coworkers have commissions delayed due to poor management and delays in "approvals" which just shows you how much they value their employees.

Take a breath. Stop trying to start up new things to give your son a project (wbid/wbmb) do your due diligence before having all of us suffer to keep your pockets fat.

Too Little Too Late. ..

I worked at Word & Brown

Pros

Employee Appreciation - Catalina and Christmas Party. That about sums it up.

Cons

Ongoing theme here, nepotism at its finest. Too many family members in management positions within the same department. No matter how it's sliced and diced, this will always be a conflict of interest. There is a reason why this is listed in the employee handbook. Too bad it's not taken seriously.

Remember that it's the staff that keeps the lights on, not the stuffed suits. Policies should be enforced for all employees, especially the stuffed suits.

Was fun at first, but it's a "Boys Club" so you soon realize how bad the place is.

I worked at Word & Brown

Pros

Catalina trip & Christmas Party

Cons

Nepotism. Horrible senior management that gets away with terribly planned out business decisions that causes the company to lose money. Others lose their jobs because of it and the guys in charge keep on making bad decisions.

Clean up you executive team regardless of how long they have been there. If they are losing the company money let them go and not your hard working employees.

It was a good company until Neudesic got involved

I worked at Word & Brown full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Training and growth opportunity was available
    Fun parties if you loved to get drunk, stoned - if not then you avoided them like I did
    Technology grew at a good pace in IT

Cons

Too much nepotism
    If you were a good looking and did "favors" you got promoted fast
    Management fears people with technical knowledge
    Placed the wrong people in important positions.

I hoped you learned your lesson when you brought in Neudesic and swapped one bad CIO for another.

The Worst Place Ever.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at Word & Brown full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was close to my house. Other than that I cannot say strong enough that these people should be avoided.

Cons

Management staff full of liars.Recruited me over with promises that never materialized. Then laid me off when I was on vacation......via text message. Gutless management from Executive Suite on down. And the prior sexual harassment claim is spot on.

Hire people with success in the industry and keep them. Realize that leadership does not emanate from who succeeds at office politics. Also, devote your resources to more things than a Christmas Party. Like realistic compensation and proper training.

An Excellent Company with an Awesome Team of Caring Professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at Word & Brown full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The team you will work with at Word & Brown cares about their performance. They demand quality and are articulate in their communication of clear and concise requirements. Subject Matter Expertise abounds with many staff throughout the company with tenures of 10 or more years. This company has multiple divisions; some FAR better and some FAR worse to work for, choose carefully!

Cons

Upper management (not the owners, who are fantastic) have little leadership acumen and are either inserting themselves where they shouldn't, or excusing themselves where they are needed to make leadership decisions because they don't want the accountability. When projects go wrong leadership demands that everyone point fingers at each other and it makes it hard to trust leadership because they'd through anyone under the bus they can to maintain their position - which is why they are at the top. It's toxic.

Define your leadership by building camaraderie in your teams. When something goes wrong, YOU'RE to blame, not the team. Figure out what YOU did wrong and fix yourself.

Sep 9, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your response. We appreciate your feedback. With our new CIO on-board, we are confident that concerns will be heard and addressed.

Watch out who you work for

I worked at Word & Brown

Pros

For the most part- a family atmosphere...private companies will usually give you that. They try and do fun events every month, but since the downturn of their state exchanges/affordable care act- they've had to cut back a bit. The owners seemed like they really cared for their employees, but by the looks of things- it's not the same company as it was before. The pay might not be great, but they do pay for most of your health benefits.

Cons

If you are a cute girl, good luck. I've seen multiple coworkers harassed by upper management (yikes), job security is non-existent... it seems like there are company wide layoff every 8-10 months.

R&D everything before you implement it. It seems chaotic work atmosphere- no one knows what the other person is doing.

Jul 18, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. Word & Brown Companies is committed to maintaining a workplace that is free from sexual harassment. All complaints brought to HR are investigated and appropriate action ... More

It was good at first.

Current Employee - Small Building in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Small Building in Orange, CA

I have been working at Word & Brown full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has good benefits and the owners are good to the Employees. They do offer deals on classes that have to do with the industry, Christmas Party and a Trip. My Boss is nice...

Cons

50 % of Co-workers are stabbing each other in the back & throwing each under the bus like crazy thinking out they are making themselves look better but all they are doing is hurting the depts and company a whole. If you want to move up, certain department will block you from moving up. I see some people are hired and don't do anything for the company. The worst part is that some people are so irresponsible, they do what ever they want and do not get disciplined and their is a lot of favoritism.

You guys need to set a plan for upcoming things. You guys should find a way to speak to find out if your employees are content on how management is handling their employees. You have employees taking advantage of the fact they have been there longer and do nothing yet the people that are doing a great job are not acknowledged. Its not fair and someday someone will finally react to this. Watch the people that do for your company and make your company look good.

Jul 18, 2014HR Director

Thank for your response. We will take your feedback into consideration when we launch our Employee Opinion Survey.

Great company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at Word & Brown full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It truly feels like a family here. I've worked for many companies that don't respect their employees. That is not the case here. They truly show their employees that they are appreciated and respected.

Cons

Just like any other company there is a sort of politics here. If you don't let yourself get caught up in it you will have a much better experience here.

Aug 27, 2014HR Director

Thank you for your input. The Company strives to maintain a family culture that treats its employees with respect and professionalism.

Word & Brown Photos

Our offices are conveniently located in the City of Orange, near freeways, shopping, recreation, parks and restaurants.
8th Floor of the Word & Brown Building