WordStream Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Ralph J Folz

Supportive, Innovative, Agile, Positive Moral and More...

I have been working at WordStream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

WordStream sees value in their employees which is huge to me. I was hired back in August at 18 weeks pregnant. Most companies would shy away (even though illegal, it's hard to prove during the interview process) from recruiting a pregnant employee knowing that they’d need to take a maternity leave soon. But not WordStream. They support employees with families and my experience from day 1 through returning from maternity leave couldn't have been better. I never felt pressured nor did ever feel alienated because of the pregnancy, and the support from my team and boss was way more than I expected. I have been treated like every other employee here and that's what I had hoped. In fact, I returned from leave with praises from my boss from day one about the transition. I believe this type of treatment is rare to find in the workplace today and I am bringing this up first because it sets the stage for all things great about this company. It helps drive long term loyalty and productiveness from its' employees. The environment – as another reviewer mentioned, “WordStream is neither a bootlegged startup, nor a super-corporate cube farm. We're in that perfect sweet spot. ” and I will second this. I have previously worked for both and am really happy with the spot WordStream is at currently but also looking forward to seeing it develop further. Everyone has an opportunity to grow and help shape the company - input matters and ideas are considered. Voices are heard. Team members are supportive, smart, innovative, and motivating. Morale is great. Everyone brings something interesting and unique to the table in their skillset and background which helps drive and shape things internally. There are many social events to facilitate mingling among different departments and overall togetherness. Also, there are many perks similar to other companies and startups in the area (but I don’t think you need to know of those little things because those aren't the things that will drive you to get out of bed in the morning to go to a job you love). They are just icing on the cake. This is an environment/company that you will want to come to everyday and be a part of. Management – I trust them. I believe that they put the safety and the lives of the people in the organization first. They treat us like human beings. They know the industry, they are innovators, smart and agile people. They are true leaders. They COMMUNICATE with us about all things you can imagine (the future of the company, the industry, internal processes and projects, etc), and they remember things about you personally and professionally. They praise you and support you in every which way and I believe that too goes a long way.

Cons

It's not WordStream's fault that I live where I do and that the office is where it is, but my only con is that the office is off of the E line. The E line is very unreliable sometimes and granted management is completely understanding for tardiness situations, it's just a pain in the butt that you can't rely on it if you have meetings and what not that you care to attend (because as I mentioned previously, you will care to attend and be on time for the meetings for the mentally stimulating conversations, ideas and more). If you drive, walk, bike (or heck, take any other line to Copley and walk) then you don't have to worry about it!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

2. Great place to learn, grow, and be challenged

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are some of the smartest I've ever worked with. A truly impressive collection of diverse talent, from engineering, to marketing, to sales, to customer support. The leadership team is very involved and invested, and the executives are incredibly approachable. There are social activities that you can be involved in or skip. No pressure either way. You can be a loner or a joiner or somewhere in between and you'll still be welcome.

Cons

As with any small and growing company, there are some pain points. There's a lot of work, a lot of demands, and a lot of change.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome communication!

3. Love the company

Pros

Career Advancement, Autonomy, Great Compensation, Leadership Opportunities, Fantastic Product and Services, Awesome Executive Team

Cons

A little more transparency between the departments, but not too many I can think of.

5. WordStream is neither a bootlegged startup, nor a super-corporate cube farm. We're in that perfect sweet spot.

Current Employee - Customer Success in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time

Pros

Super-transparent and approachable management team, incredible co-workers, flexible schedules, great location

Cons

We're growing quickly, so we're encountering some growing pains when it comes to nailing down new processes.

Advice to Management

Would love to see additional paths to promotion and more attainable bonus plans

6. Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company Culture, Growing Fast! Would recommend this to anyone.

Cons

Not a bad thing to say

Sounded good in theory, content sweatshop in practice

Former Employee - Content Writer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Content Writer in Boston, MA

I worked at WordStream part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job paid decently for what it was and the people I worked with were nice, except for one who ruined it for everyone by being a sociopath.

Cons

Sociopathic management literally looking over your shoulder. Having to crank out nearly-identical content over and over and over for the sake of long-tail keyword landing pages. A freezing cold cube farm where nobody took a lunch break and played the game of 'get in the earliest and stay the latest' for no reason.

Advice to Management

Be nice. Have empathy. Don't make people cry.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

Pros

The CEO seems like a really smart guy and if he knew what was going on upstairs in his sales department, I think he would be very disappointed.

Cons

Working here was one of the biggest mistakes I have made for my career, but a great learning experience. I clearly did not do my due diligence prior to taking the job, and that is a mistake I will not make again. Company Culture: You get into the office, sit in a dingy cubicle and call terrible leads all day. You eat lunch at your desk and clock in/clock out. Sometimes there are events after work- for instance the softball team that none of the new reps were invited to. There are also "happy hours" where you sit in your cube and drink beer while looking at your computer. The "work hard, play hard" culture that they sell simply doesn't exist. The Leads/Quota: They called them "Sales Qualified Leads," which to a salesperson who is used to cold calling sounds amazing- warmed up leads! Instead these are just people who have visited the website once and are considered hot leads. The quota is also completely absurd. They have multiplied their salesforce by at least 3x and have not increased the amount of leads that are coming in... and yet, they still operate with the same quota system. While I was there, only 2 or 3 (very senior) members of the team hit their goal. No one else was paid commission. Management: there is no training, guidance or encouragement. When I started I sat down in my cube and was told to read a pamphlet about AdWords. We talked a lot about trainings that would be helpful... and then never did them. My manager was discouraging, selfish, rude, and consumed with his own issues. He contradicted himself daily, set new expectations hourly, and showed up late to meetings. Managers should be there to foster the growth of their employees, not worry about their own quota and blame their reps when things aren't going right. It is a tough job and is certainly not for everyone- so don't promote one of your best reps just because there is no where else for him/her to move.

Advice to Management

Hire new management. Think about what makes a good manager. Is he a team player? Does he care about other's needs before his own? Does he have a clear plan?

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, benefits, perks, personal growth, fast-paced environment, company culture, team cohesion, caring management, good advancement procedures, fair work environment

Cons

Single points of knowledge failure, insular teams that require more cross-pollination, lack of software focus, personal employee overfocus on departments' missions instead of knowledge growth in the missions, structures, and requirements of other departments in the company.

Advice to Management

To win big: Continue the cross-pollination of teams and understanding of the disparate positions in the company. Encourage that all the teams in the company departments shadow some folks in other departments so as to have them understand our jobs easier and what we're dealing with. Make sure that the product has a laser focus in doing one thing and doing it well. Embolden employees to learn more about what other departments do and how do they do it and the knowledge required to make a department run.

10. Ok place to work

Pros

People, some benefits. location, etc

Cons

repetitive, not interesting, unrealistic, benefits

11. Great place to work

I have been working at WordStream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people with drive and passion

Cons

Startup pay and growing pains

RSS Feed </> Embed