WordStream

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
3.9

Ralph J Folz

Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company Culture, Growing Fast! Would recommend this to anyone.

Cons

Not a bad thing to say

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People, benefits, perks, personal growth, fast-paced environment, company culture, team cohesion, caring management, good advancement procedures, fair work environment

Cons

Single points of knowledge failure, insular teams that require more cross-pollination, lack of software focus, personal employee overfocus on departments' missions instead of knowledge growth in the missions, structures, and requirements of other departments in the company.

To win big: Continue the cross-pollination of teams and understanding of the disparate positions in the company. Encourage that all the teams in the company departments shadow some folks in other departments so as to have them understand our jobs easier and what we're dealing with. Make sure that the product has a laser focus in doing one thing and doing it well. Embolden employees to learn more about what other departments do and how do they do it and the knowledge required to make a department run.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at WordStream

Pros

The CEO seems like a really smart guy and if he knew what was going on upstairs in his sales department, I think he would be very disappointed.

Cons

Working here was one of the biggest mistakes I have made for my career, but a great learning experience. I clearly did not do my due diligence prior to taking the job, and that is a mistake I will not make again.

Company Culture: You get into the office, sit in a dingy cubicle and call terrible leads all day. You eat lunch at your desk and clock in/clock out. Sometimes there are events after work- for instance the softball team that none of the new reps were invited to. There are also "happy hours" where you sit in your cube and drink beer while looking at your computer. The "work hard, play hard" culture that they sell simply doesn't exist.

The Leads/Quota: They called them "Sales Qualified Leads," which to a salesperson who is used to cold calling sounds amazing- warmed up leads! Instead these are just people who have visited the website once and are considered hot leads. The quota is also completely absurd. They have multiplied their salesforce by at least 3x and have not increased the amount of leads that are coming in... and yet, they still operate with the same quota system. While I was there, only 2 or 3 (very senior) members of the team hit their goal. No one else was paid commission.

Management: there is no training, guidance or encouragement. When I started I sat down in my cube and was told to read a pamphlet about AdWords. We talked a lot about trainings that would be helpful... and then never did them. My manager was discouraging, selfish, rude, and consumed with his own issues. He contradicted himself daily, set new expectations hourly, and showed up late to meetings. Managers should be there to foster the growth of their employees, not worry about their own quota and blame their reps when things aren't going right. It is a tough job and is certainly not for everyone- so don't promote one of your best reps just because there is no where else for him/her to move.

Hire new management. Think about what makes a good manager. Is he a team player? Does he care about other's needs before his own? Does he have a clear plan?

Ok place to work

I have been working at WordStream

Pros

People, some benefits. location, etc

Cons

repetitive, not interesting, unrealistic, benefits

Great place to work

I have been working at WordStream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people with drive and passion

Cons

Startup pay and growing pains

Solid Company That Cares

I have been working at WordStream full-time

Pros

The company is solid and still has a start-up vibe. Really works to uphold the corporate values such as transparency, winning together, etc. And, the company truly does care about its customers and employees. The experience I have gained here is second to none due to the transparency. You can really see how things work and the give and take needed to keep a company successful. Benefits are good. And, the open vacation policy is really great.

Cons

Very fast paced and data driven. CEO is an ex-engineer and very black and white. This isn't necessarily a con but makes it difficult and very challenging to make headway in some instances. He is very reasonable but if you don't have the data, wait.

Continue the cross-pollination of teams. And, continue to invest heavily in the Product and Engineering team. The product is good but it could be fantastic. There is a lot of data. Make the Product and Engineering teams live that data and strike a balance between new features and improving/replacing old.

Good experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at WordStream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at WordStream, I've always felt like I was in a position to succeed. People, for the most part, seem to take pride in their work and are interested in bettering themselves as well as the people around them. Employees here are top notch. Management, as well as non-executives have done a good job of fostering a culture of transparency.

Cons

Not a lot of cons that I can think of

Cross-pollination inter and intra departments is key to preserving culture as the company scales.

Established company with a startup culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at WordStream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company is expanding rapidly
    Flexible hours
    Great People
    Implements Employee Feedback on Culture
    Unlimited Vacation
    Room for Career Development

Cons

Salary is competitive but could be slightly higher stock options can compensate.

Great tech startup, lot of growth, solid executive team.

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lot of intelligent people that are great at what they do. Quickly growing company, great for anyone in sales. The company is also flexible, if you're good at what you do they'll go out of their way to offer bonuses and incentives as you progress. The product has seen a lot of growth over the past year, and the future outlook for the company is very bright. Lot of potential...

Cons

Can be difficult to move up not because the company doesn't have a good career path, but because the teams are well structured and tightly organized. Not a lot of room for more managers because the company is lean. On the plus side they almost always promote from within. Sales team is growing quickly, few kinks to iron out but honestly if you're good at what you do and know how to sell you will be successful and make great money.

The individual that posted the negative review was only an employee for several months (not a year), and had no idea what he was doing. Not a good fit for the company, not sure he'll be able to make it elsewhere either.

Offer better career paths. Not a bad job doing so thus far, but to retain top talent you'll want to offer more options sooner rather than later.

Wordstream is a great company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work / awesome people / amazing location. Not sure who the person is who wrote the 1 star review but pretty sure its one of the few people that have been fired from here who not only sucked at their job but life in general. I think everyone knows a few of these folks - especially in sales. If you're good at your job - like having fun and working with a great bunch of like minded people, enjoy making money and being rewarded for performing well than it doesnt get much better. I'm not in management so I'm not trying to write an overly sugar coated review of the company. With that being said I've also been in sales for over 10 years and I can tell you from experience that there are alot of aweful places to work out there and this is far from one of them. Every job will have some things about it that aren't fun but the pluses far outweigh the negatives at Wordstream.

Cons

Typical start up issues around processes, systems, and procedures that continually evolve but to be expected with a newer company trying to find the right path for itself and its employees

Keep up the good work