WordStream

Updated Jan 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ralph J Folz

Established company with a startup culture

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsCompany is expanding rapidly
Flexible hours
Great People
Implements Employee Feedback on Culture
Unlimited Vacation
Room for Career Development

ConsSalary is competitive but could be slightly higher stock options can compensate.

Great tech startup, lot of growth, solid executive team.

Sales (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time for more than a year

ProsLot of intelligent people that are great at what they do. Quickly growing company, great for anyone in sales. The company is also flexible, if you're good at what you do they'll go out of their way to offer bonuses and incentives as you progress. The product has seen a lot of growth over the past year, and the future outlook for the company is very bright. Lot of potential...

ConsCan be difficult to move up not because the company doesn't have a good career path, but because the teams are well structured and tightly organized. Not a lot of room for more managers because the company is lean. On the plus side they almost always promote from within. Sales team is growing quickly, few kinks to iron out but honestly if you're good at what you do and know how to sell you will be successful and make great money.

The individual that posted the negative review was only an employee for several months (not a year), and had no idea what he was doing. Not a good fit for the company, not sure he'll be able to make it elsewhere either.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better career paths. Not a bad job doing so thus far, but to retain top talent you'll want to offer more options sooner rather than later.

Wordstream is a great company to work for

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat place to work / awesome people / amazing location. Not sure who the person is who wrote the 1 star review but pretty sure its one of the few people that have been fired from here who not only sucked at their job but life in general. I think everyone knows a few of these folks - especially in sales. If you're good at your job - like having fun and working with a great bunch of like minded people, enjoy making money and being rewarded for performing well than it doesnt get much better. I'm not in management so I'm not trying to write an overly sugar coated review of the company. With that being said I've also been in sales for over 10 years and I can tell you from experience that there are alot of aweful places to work out there and this is far from one of them. Every job will have some things about it that aren't fun but the pluses far outweigh the negatives at Wordstream.

ConsTypical start up issues around processes, systems, and procedures that continually evolve but to be expected with a newer company trying to find the right path for itself and its employees

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Two faced, and a joke.

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at WordStream full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat smart folks to work with. Great location in back bay.

ConsThey make a concerted effort to focus on sales, instead of focusing on the software. The sales dept is a mess, and the team doesn't respect the VP of that dept. They have a massive issue with clients churning because the software just doesnt work. Management doesn't get it. If a bucket has a hole in the bottom, you cant fix it by putting more water in the bucket, you fix the hole. Their long term success is bleak.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent. Better training, and be fair with the distribution of leads. FIX THE SOFTWARE, and stop trying to be Hubspots doppleganger. There is only 1 hubspot, and attempting to copy their every move wont work for you. Hoping that you can mask your issues with the software by making more sales will never work if clients keep churning.

A good startup experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at WordStream full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great people - everyone is very intelligent, energetic, nice, willing to help
- Company is doing a good job of working on culture so that people have an opportunity to socialize outside their department (i.e. Summer and winter company outings, Yankee swap, monthly happy hours)
- Growing quickly with solid performance
- Good leadership - open to ideas to drive the business forward, willingness to be transparent
- Low turnover, generally happy employees

Cons- As a startup the focus is on getting your immediate job done, not much exposure to projects outside of your specific area of responsibility.
- It's a startup so the pace is fast - that's to be expected just know that when you apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind opportunities to create cross-functional team projects to help employees grow. Culture is positive, now consider ways to provide employee growth and cross-functional exposure.

Worked for WordStream? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WordStream reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for WordStream CEO Ralph J Folz. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by WordStream employees.