Work Opportunities Unlimited Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
19 reviews filtered by
Stephen A Wood

Supportive and fun place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working for Work Opportunities for almost six years now. The company is extremely supportive of the staff and the clients that we serve. Here is a highlight with just a few of the many pros to working for Work Opportunities Unlimited:
    -You get the opportunity to work autonomously in the community—Schedule can be very flexible.
    -The management team is supportive of professional growth.
    -The company truly cares about the success of our clients, and also our employees.
    -Extremely rewarding—The company is very passionate about their mission and core values. You leave work each day with a feeling of accomplishment.

Cons

This company continues to fit my personal and professional needs for job satisfaction. I have nothing negative to say. Working in the field of human services is not for everyone. If you enjoy sitting behind a desk, doing the same thing each day, this position is not for you. This position can be challenging at times, as most jobs are. I have found that with each challenge comes great rewards.

2. Fulfilling and fun place to work

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited

Pros

I worked for WOU on and off for 5 years. Management was always very accommodating with my school schedule. Days off were respected, meaning you weren't called or expected to check emails on your time off. Working with the individuals was the best part. Very rewarding and often fun. This job would be a great fit for someone who has lots of energy, enjoys solving problems creatively, likes working with people and is independent. Team atmosphere was very supportive! Director was very approachable and always made herself available to me for any concerns or questions I had. Overall a great place to work!

Cons

There is a decent element of paperwork involved in the job that employees are expected to complete out in the field. This wasn't always an option given the nature of the work and schedule. However management was always very accommodating in this regard.

Very fulfilling position.

Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Manchester, NH

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very professional work environment. Expectations of follow through and commitment. Opportunities for advancement and bonuses if you are willing to work for them.

Cons

At times time management expectations can be hard to complete. But, not impossible.

Great Place to work

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working for Work Opportunities Unlimited for a few years and my job is very rewarding. I love being able to help people achieve goals and change their lives. My manager is supportive and available to answer questions, and my coworkers are great to bounce ideas off of

Cons

Working in the Human Services field can be a stressful field

6. Beware of this company

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Independent work
    Satisfying
    Good to learn what kind of company you do not want to work for

Cons

Must use your PERSONAL CELL PHONE and lap top
    Use of your own car with minimum mileage (23 cents a mile where the federal minimum is 50)
    WILL NOT GIVE YOU A REFERENCE WHEN YOU LEAVE even if on great terms its "company policy"
    Everything must be billed (even your billing)
    Upper management does not just encourage but demands you over bill and double bill clients
    Poor Training
    Unable to voice concerns without being accused of being negative or not a team player
    For profit company and it shows

I could give advice but the higher ups in this company do not care, they have the "everyone is replaceble" mentality. I have to say from what I experienced and witnessed they are sexist and just are not good people in general.

The worst most unprofessional company I have ever been involved with.

Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Providence, RI

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited

Pros

When actually doing the job (which exactly zero of my co-workers did) you have a wonderful opportunity to changes peoples lives for the better.

Cons

The worst upper management team on the planet. Lie to and hide information from employees. Company DOES NOT WANT employee to make job placements! They make more money and promote a non-working status! Upper management WILL make empty promises about raises, promotions, etc. in an effort to get free work hours from employees. WOU hires ONLY young, uninspired workers for very low pay. If you are hired, do not rock the boat, keep your enthusiasm to a minimum and DO NOT show more success than your superiors (they WILL make an example of you). WOU will remind you in MANY WAYS that you are replaceable in a moments notice! Do Not Trust Your Supervisors! The most dishonest company I have ever worked for. They steal funds from the disabled and line their (upper management) pockets with dollars earmarked for client services. Be wary, if you get involved with this company you may be indicted on their wrong doings. I left voluntarily when I saw the obvious (and not so obvious) theft and dishonesty. I feared legal action while employed here. This company is a scam.

Find a new position within the fast food marketplace.

Work Opportunities Unlimited Response

Feb 10, 2015Recruiting Manager

I strongly believe in free speech, and a person's right to express their opinion. I understand the internet has opened up new venues for individual people to freely express their opinions. Life and ... More

Great hours

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited

Pros

Love my hours and great pay.

Cons

There were none just wish it was permanent.

Would love to come back

9. Fulfilling and bureaucratic

Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Haverhill, MA
    Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Haverhill, MA

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You make a visible difference in peoples' lives everyday with a team of people who really care about what they are doing.

Cons

There were a lot of statistical goals that didn't always reflect the good the team was doing.

Qualitative goals over quantitative goals.

Good company to work for, high professional standards, dedicated co-workers, and good work/life balance..

Current Employee - CRS in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - CRS in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sense of accomplishment when able to place a client in a job that is a good fit for them.
    Plenty of resources and training provided to employees.

Cons

Low compensation and mileage reimbursement. Required to use personal car to transport clients which could cause huge liability issues. Mandatory and regularly scheduled meetings are OFTEN cancelled on the day they are scheduled which is very frustrating.

Increase mileage reimbursement and consider getting some company vans to transport clients. Provide auto liability insurance.

11. Reality is not allowed to interfere with job performance

Current Employee - CRS
    Current Employee - CRS

Pros

Excellent co-workers, highly motivated and dedicated to consumers. Opportunities for more training always available, though the time is not always convenient.

Cons

-Company likes to hire part time, and then consider you their property every possible working hour during the week, failure to cancel outside activities to cover new hours is considered being unreasonable and not a team player
    -Extra hours and duties added, with the message that there is plenty of time, failure to meet these additional duties is labeled as poor time management
    -Directors will say and promise anything with no intention of following through, if you don't have it in writing you will never see it
    -Your car will take incredible abuse for a ridiculous per mile compensation, attempts to have anything repaired that was damaged by consumers will be called "normal wear and tear"
    -no lunch, no breaks
    -Consumers are not as important as money, despite the noble goals the company claims, management will keep consumers in situations they do not enjoy, and attempt to place them in jobs they are not interested in to meet quotas and get bonuses, they will also ask you to falsify dates in order to get their own bonuses
    -vacations are at the whim of the director, and you must find your own coverage from a very limited pool of co-workers, if your schedule changes you must find coverage for the new hours, you are also expected to find your own coverage to use bereavement time
    -Company considers itself community based, which means one laptop and 1 desktop for use by the entire staff as well as meeting space being limited, you will hold business meeting with your consumers in Starbucks
    -Management seems to believe that everyone is trying to get away with something, requests for materials (paper for the printer, toner, first aid kit replacement) are ignored.
    -Management is unaware of actual job being done by CRS, often claiming that you can do your job, and paperwork for other consumers, at the same time, and don't forget to charge both for the time. Overtime is forbidden, as is working off the clock, but everyone admits it is the only way to get everything done to meet monthly review requirements.

Loosen up the purse strings, buy needed materials, pay CRS a living wage, Realize that when there is a high turn over it can't always be due to the employees being unreliable. Stop treating those that work in the field with the consumers with such contempt and disrespect. Work on improving communication, talking about how important good communication is, is not the same as actually have a plan to improve communication.