Work Opportunities Unlimited

Add Photos

Stephen A Wood

Job Developer

Career Resource Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsSatisfying work when able to place a disabled person in the right job for them.

ConsToo much administrative work. Need to document EVERYTHING THAT IS DONE.

Advice to Senior ManagementSIMPLIFY MONTHLY GOAL SETTING PROCESS

Very high turnover, low pay and an aloof owner and management team

Career Resource Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsRewarding feeling at the end of the day when you're working on behalf of those who truly deserve a voice in the community. It is up to you to be the voice and the advocate for people with disabilities in this position

Some PTO/Holidays offered

ConsFirst, the management. I have not been working for them for very long, but the director here is scattered and seems to only care about making their bonus. Our director is very passive aggressive and knows just what to say when senior management pays a visit. Once they leave, it's game on again. But I also find the owner and "inner circle" also very disingenuous and all about the $, not retention of the CRS's.

The job could be a lot more rewarding and client centered, but the ongoing pointless meetings with no structure gets in the way of that. They put some out of reach demands on you every month, but then fill your schedule with meetings and you are still expected to achieve them. They throw a carrot at you every so often. They call it a bonus. What they don't tell you is that they will force you to split it with entire team, so that already low bonus becomes even lower for a lot of hard work you put in to that one client. So now you get $30, yay! Also it's true what the others have said about mileage reimbursement, embarrassing. They are aware of it, they just don't care.

There is also preferential treatment (some CRS's get more talent than others and are thus take less time to place), and really it is all about the bottom line and not so much on client services,which is disappointing. Excessive paperwork, no real lunch breaks (they were investigated by Dept of Labor for this I was told by one of my girlfriends), ugly stereotypes you must break in the workforce (this part can be rewarding), very poor benefits, and a revolving door of lowly paid CRS's.

In the end, there are better non profit jobs out there in social work than this FOR-profit business. Usually, it's the other way around. This company is super cheap and expect you to provide a personal laptop and a car to conduct business for them. I choose to continue to work for them because I need the money right now and I am in a bad financial situation, but I am jumping ship like the others before me first real chance I get. Until then, I'll continue to lean on my coworkers for support who share my frustration and avoid the director as much as possible.

There is always hope that the company and leadership will change their ways, but if you have another opportunity to pursue, TAKE IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the employees what they are worth. A B.A. or Masters degree does not deserved to be paid $30,000 a year. Get better benefits, stop turning a blind eye to unhappy employees and do something about it. Also give your directors more training and investigate just why there is so much turnover in some areas compared to others. Provide your own equipment and offer more room for advancement for women.

Never be surprised

ProsThe individuals you encounter, co-workers and the support personnel you meet are great. Excellent way to make connections.

ConsThe company is not as forthcoming with pay scales (not everyone with the same experience and skills receive the same pay scale). Vacations and time off is at the discretion of the Directors and if they deem you not worthy of bringing in enough $, then BEWARE.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake additional EEOC and HR management training classes, because it is a matter of time before someone you hire with passion, drive and generally a nice person will eventually take them to court over some of the violations that occur daily.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Team in Manchester

Career Resource Specialist (Current Employee) Manchester, NH

ProsRewarding position, great coworkers, flexibility. Teamwork is the key to surviving this challenging job!

ConsNobody can live on the wages paid in human services. Poor mileage compensation, potential for a lot of driving, and expectations/caseloads can change at a moment's notice. Management does not always understand the challenges that CRS' face in the field. There are days when one feels that "They don't pay me enough for this".

Advice to Senior ManagementDirectors and higher level management should take a more active role in working with clients and support the team when staffing is low. Those who transport clients need better financial compensation for use of their vehicles.

Great Learning Experience

Career Resource Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsI feel I learned excellent time management skills as well as professionalism pertaining to coworkers, superiors, clients, and client's family members/support

ConsSometimes can spill into personal time because schedule varies and changes/use of own cell phone. A lot of flipflopping in regards to expectations (push for client services, then discuss budgeting issues which ties to client services)

Advice to Senior ManagementStay consistent with goals, recognize and reward "A" work instead of asking why it's not an "A+"

Unstable

Career Resource Specialist (Current Employee) Manchester, NH

ProsDecent benefits, 401K's are offered after 1 year, full health benefits and paid time off is offered.
    Anything you do that is work related you will receive compensation for; Phone calls, e-mails, preparations, research etc.

ConsThey make you use your own vehicle with minimum compensation for mileage, 80 miles per day is average.

Whatever you signed on for is what your benefits package will reap no matter how many hours you work- I signed on as part-time and began working 40-60 hours per week once I graduated college; I requested the full-time benefits package and they politely told me "where to put it".

No raises in the first year, raises upon annual review need to be "hounded for".

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employee's, hard workers in this industry that will accept the compensation as is are hard to come by.

Career Resource Specialist

Career Resource Specialist (Current Employee) Lowell, MA

Prosadvcancement opportunities, open communication between managers and staff, clear goals are set monthly through "30 Day Objectives," team building is encouraged.

Conslimited compensation for mileage, amount of driving expected of all employees is at least 60 miles per day during the work day, salary is limited, expectations are set very high for top performers which can lead to burn-out...

Advice to Senior Managementto focus more on client services and not as much on the financials - although this is a for-profit company, the goals need to be centered around quality services for the individuals supported.

Never a dull moment

CRS (Current Employee)

Pros-Upper management very nice and work hard to equip employees for success
    -great 401K package. They match your investments
    -Holidays off
    -no nights or weekends
    -Bonuses for making job placements
    -variety of work

Cons-High pressure to perform
    -Poor communication at times between staff
    -Low mileage reimbursement and lots of driving adding wear and tear on your car
    -No room to move up the management chain
    -high turnover causing stress organizing coverage
    -Pay low for the high stress work required.
    -Career development workload difficult to accomplish while providing excellent services to clients.
    -lots of busy work including paperwork and evaluations

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify the roles of CRS to focus on one area of what the office does. Employees have to wear too many hats. We do many things to acceptable standards. Why not have each person do only a few things in excellence.

Buyer Beware...

Career Resource Specialist (Current Employee)

Prosfulfilling job to help others obtain employment
    no dull office job in a cubicle - field work
    schedule flexibility
    sales

Consvery low pay
    rigid compliance guidelines that almost take all the fun out of the job
    expectations are unrealistic
    working more than actually paid for
    every minute of time needs to be accounted for

Advice to Senior Managementstructure like a true sales time for job dev; assign account executives to pursue co.'s and account reps to work employers for leads and provide on-site support

Worked for Work Opportunities Unlimited? Contribute to the Community!