Work Opportunities Unlimited

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Stephen A Wood

Great company to work for

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time

Pros

Management listens to my opinions and comes up with creative ways to implement innovative ideas. The staff is caring and will go out of their way to support team members. It is a very fulfilling position and cutting edge for this type of work. I love working in the community and not at a desk job. The days fly by in a good way and all of my clients and team members are awesome to work with. I love working in the community for a business minded company with a non-profit feel. It's the best of both worlds.

Cons

Much is required of each team member because it is an outcome driven organization. However this is also a pro because of all of the individuals served lives who are bettered because team members are pushed for high results. (Maybe I should have written this under pro as well) If you want something really fulfilling and want to work hard to better others lives, this is a great fit. The pay starts out on the lower side but dedicated workers can work their way up. You have to prove yourself first. It is a great company to work for if you prove yourself and are a genuine person and hard-worker. I am wondering where the negative reviews are coming from? Maybe from those who don't understand the companies culture. This is not run like a non-profit organization. It is a good fit for those who want to incorporate structure and outcomes based results into a fulfilling human service field.

Advice to Management

My manager is fantastic! Upper management is supportive and really cares about it's employees from what I have seen.

2. probably the best company in this field

Former Employee - Washington in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Washington in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Executive director and administrative staff really cares about the mission, the clients, and the employees which I discovered is quite rare in this field. My experience was that everybody valued teamwork, innovation, and creativity. The supervisors I had did not micro manage and they allowed me the freedom to work and get results how I saw fit while always being available for support and consulting. I don't want to put personal identifying information on here so I'll just say that all of the supervisors, employees, and clients I encountered in every department and in every office was awesome in their own way. It was a very difficult decision to leave.

Cons

It's hard to list a con, but if I had name anything it would be the pay and advancement opportunities. It's a relatively small company so the opportunities for promotions in to a supervisor position is fairly slim. The pay is on par with and maybe even a little higher than the industry standard, however the industry standard is pretty low to begin with. You don't get into the social service field to make money though, you get into it because it enriches your soul..... what can I say, I'm an Idealist.

3. Job Coach

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time

Pros

Varied and interesting work. Supportive supervisors. Allowed for a high degree of flexibility and independence. Generous pay for level of responsibility. Collaberative team to work with.

Cons

A fair degree of travel requiring use of ones own car. Hours could be at inconvenient times or shifts. Large amounts of standing on concrete surfaces may be required.

Advice to Management

None

5. Employment Placement Specialist /Job Coach - Supported Employment

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well suited for any Philanthropist / Benevolent and beginner

Cons

While top management have considered "normal & decent" salaries, the base is mostly part-timers with little compensation for the heavy requirements and skills. The job's title is changed so often to attracting new part-timers - deceiving - no recommended if money is your primary motivation.

Advice to Management

Better to turn your structure into a None-profit org, at least we know potential job coach will know they are not in for the money

Supportive and fun place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working for Work Opportunities for almost six years now. The company is extremely supportive of the staff and the clients that we serve. Here is a highlight with just a few of the many pros to working for Work Opportunities Unlimited:
    -You get the opportunity to work autonomously in the community—Schedule can be very flexible.
    -The management team is supportive of professional growth.
    -The company truly cares about the success of our clients, and also our employees.
    -Extremely rewarding—The company is very passionate about their mission and core values. You leave work each day with a feeling of accomplishment.

Cons

This company continues to fit my personal and professional needs for job satisfaction. I have nothing negative to say. Working in the field of human services is not for everyone. If you enjoy sitting behind a desk, doing the same thing each day, this position is not for you. This position can be challenging at times, as most jobs are. I have found that with each challenge comes great rewards.

Mar 31, 2015

We're glad you are part of the team! It sounds like the role is a good fit for you and that your efforts are helping us create success in the workplace every day. Thanks for your input.

7. Fulfilling and fun place to work

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited

Pros

I worked for WOU on and off for 5 years. Management was always very accommodating with my school schedule. Days off were respected, meaning you weren't called or expected to check emails on your time off. Working with the individuals was the best part. Very rewarding and often fun. This job would be a great fit for someone who has lots of energy, enjoys solving problems creatively, likes working with people and is independent. Team atmosphere was very supportive! Director was very approachable and always made herself available to me for any concerns or questions I had. Overall a great place to work!

Cons

There is a decent element of paperwork involved in the job that employees are expected to complete out in the field. This wasn't always an option given the nature of the work and schedule. However management was always very accommodating in this regard.

Mar 31, 2015

We're glad you had a positive experience and that your position at WOU allowed the work-school-life balance that you needed during this time in your life. Thanks for posting!

Very fulfilling position.

Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Manchester, NH

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very professional work environment. Expectations of follow through and commitment. Opportunities for advancement and bonuses if you are willing to work for them.

Cons

At times time management expectations can be hard to complete. But, not impossible.

Mar 31, 2015

Thanks for your review. It appears that you are no longer working with us -- if you were, we would encourage you to talk with your Director or a member of the Management Resource Team so we can talk ... More

Great Place to work

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working for Work Opportunities Unlimited for a few years and my job is very rewarding. I love being able to help people achieve goals and change their lives. My manager is supportive and available to answer questions, and my coworkers are great to bounce ideas off of

Cons

Working in the Human Services field can be a stressful field

Mar 31, 2015

Thanks for your 5+ years of service! The work you do every day helps others be successful at work and in their lives. Thank you!

Beware of this company

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Independent work
    Satisfying
    Good to learn what kind of company you do not want to work for

Cons

Must use your PERSONAL CELL PHONE and lap top
    Use of your own car with minimum mileage (23 cents a mile where the federal minimum is 50)
    WILL NOT GIVE YOU A REFERENCE WHEN YOU LEAVE even if on great terms its "company policy"
    Everything must be billed (even your billing)
    Upper management does not just encourage but demands you over bill and double bill clients
    Poor Training
    Unable to voice concerns without being accused of being negative or not a team player
    For profit company and it shows

Advice to Management

I could give advice but the higher ups in this company do not care, they have the "everyone is replaceble" mentality. I have to say from what I experienced and witnessed they are sexist and just are not good people in general.

Apr 4, 2015

We're sorry that you did not have a positive experience with our organization. We want to have an environment that encourages feedback from team members and are sorry you didn't feel you could raise ... More

The worst most unprofessional company I have ever been involved with.

Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Providence, RI

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited

Pros

When actually doing the job (which exactly zero of my co-workers did) you have a wonderful opportunity to changes peoples lives for the better.

Cons

The worst upper management team on the planet. Lie to and hide information from employees. Company DOES NOT WANT employee to make job placements! They make more money and promote a non-working status! Upper management WILL make empty promises about raises, promotions, etc. in an effort to get free work hours from employees. WOU hires ONLY young, uninspired workers for very low pay. If you are hired, do not rock the boat, keep your enthusiasm to a minimum and DO NOT show more success than your superiors (they WILL make an example of you). WOU will remind you in MANY WAYS that you are replaceable in a moments notice! Do Not Trust Your Supervisors! The most dishonest company I have ever worked for. They steal funds from the disabled and line their (upper management) pockets with dollars earmarked for client services. Be wary, if you get involved with this company you may be indicted on their wrong doings. I left voluntarily when I saw the obvious (and not so obvious) theft and dishonesty. I feared legal action while employed here. This company is a scam.

Advice to Management

Find a new position within the fast food marketplace.

Feb 10, 2015Recruiting Manager

I strongly believe in free speech, and a person's right to express their opinion. I understand the internet has opened up new venues for individual people to freely express their opinions. Life and ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed