Work Opportunities Unlimited

Fulfilling and bureaucratic

Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist  in  Haverhill, MA
    Former Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Haverhill, MA

I worked at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time for more than a year

Pros

You make a visible difference in peoples' lives everyday with a team of people who really care about what they are doing.

Cons

There were a lot of statistical goals that didn't always reflect the good the team was doing.

Qualitative goals over quantitative goals.

Good company to work for, high professional standards, dedicated co-workers, and good work/life balance..

Current Employee - CRS  in  Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - CRS in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited part-time for more than a year

Pros

Sense of accomplishment when able to place a client in a job that is a good fit for them.
    Plenty of resources and training provided to employees.

Cons

Low compensation and mileage reimbursement. Required to use personal car to transport clients which could cause huge liability issues. Mandatory and regularly scheduled meetings are OFTEN cancelled on the day they are scheduled which is very frustrating.

Increase mileage reimbursement and consider getting some company vans to transport clients. Provide auto liability insurance.

Reality is not allowed to interfere with job performance

Current Employee - CRS

Pros

Excellent co-workers, highly motivated and dedicated to consumers. Opportunities for more training always available, though the time is not always convenient.

Cons

-Company likes to hire part time, and then consider you their property every possible working hour during the week, failure to cancel outside activities to cover new hours is considered being unreasonable and not a team player
    -Extra hours and duties added, with the message that there is plenty of time, failure to meet these additional duties is labeled as poor time management
    -Directors will say and promise anything with no intention of following through, if you don't have it in writing you will never see it
    -Your car will take incredible abuse for a ridiculous per mile compensation, attempts to have anything repaired that was damaged by consumers will be called "normal wear and tear"
    -no lunch, no breaks
    -Consumers are not as important as money, despite the noble goals the company claims, management will keep consumers in situations they do not enjoy, and attempt to place them in jobs they are not interested in to meet quotas and get bonuses, they will also ask you to falsify dates in order to get their own bonuses
    -vacations are at the whim of the director, and you must find your own coverage from a very limited pool of co-workers, if your schedule changes you must find coverage for the new hours, you are also expected to find your own coverage to use bereavement time
    -Company considers itself community based, which means one laptop and 1 desktop for use by the entire staff as well as meeting space being limited, you will hold business meeting with your consumers in Starbucks
    -Management seems to believe that everyone is trying to get away with something, requests for materials (paper for the printer, toner, first aid kit replacement) are ignored.
    -Management is unaware of actual job being done by CRS, often claiming that you can do your job, and paperwork for other consumers, at the same time, and don't forget to charge both for the time. Overtime is forbidden, as is working off the clock, but everyone admits it is the only way to get everything done to meet monthly review requirements.

Loosen up the purse strings, buy needed materials, pay CRS a living wage, Realize that when there is a high turn over it can't always be due to the employees being unreliable. Stop treating those that work in the field with the consumers with such contempt and disrespect. Work on improving communication, talking about how important good communication is, is not the same as actually have a plan to improve communication.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very high turnover, low pay and an aloof owner and management team

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time

Pros

Rewarding feeling at the end of the day when you're working on behalf of those who truly deserve a voice in the community. It is up to you to be the voice and the advocate for people with disabilities in this position

Some PTO/Holidays offered

Cons

First, the management. I have not been working for them for very long, but the director here is scattered and seems to only care about making their bonus. Our director is very passive aggressive and knows just what to say when senior management pays a visit. Once they leave, it's game on again. But I also find the owner and "inner circle" also very disingenuous and all about the $, not retention of the CRS's.

The job could be a lot more rewarding and client centered, but the ongoing pointless meetings with no structure gets in the way of that. They put some out of reach demands on you every month, but then fill your schedule with meetings and you are still expected to achieve them. They throw a carrot at you every so often. They call it a bonus. What they don't tell you is that they will force you to split it with entire team, so that already low bonus becomes even lower for a lot of hard work you put in to that one client. So now you get $30, yay! Also it's true what the others have said about mileage reimbursement, embarrassing. They are aware of it, they just don't care.

There is also preferential treatment (some CRS's get more talent than others and are thus take less time to place), and really it is all about the bottom line and not so much on client services,which is disappointing. Excessive paperwork, no real lunch breaks (they were investigated by Dept of Labor for this I was told by one of my girlfriends), ugly stereotypes you must break in the workforce (this part can be rewarding), very poor benefits, and a revolving door of lowly paid CRS's.

In the end, there are better non profit jobs out there in social work than this FOR-profit business. Usually, it's the other way around. This company is super cheap and expect you to provide a personal laptop and a car to conduct business for them. I choose to continue to work for them because I need the money right now and I am in a bad financial situation, but I am jumping ship like the others before me first real chance I get. Until then, I'll continue to lean on my coworkers for support who share my frustration and avoid the director as much as possible.

There is always hope that the company and leadership will change their ways, but if you have another opportunity to pursue, TAKE IT.

Pay the employees what they are worth. A B.A. or Masters degree does not deserved to be paid $30,000 a year. Get better benefits, stop turning a blind eye to unhappy employees and do something about it. Also give your directors more training and investigate just why there is so much turnover in some areas compared to others. Provide your own equipment and offer more room for advancement for women.

Never be surprised

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited

Pros

The individuals you encounter, co-workers and the support personnel you meet are great. Excellent way to make connections.

Cons

The company is not as forthcoming with pay scales (not everyone with the same experience and skills receive the same pay scale). Vacations and time off is at the discretion of the Directors and if they deem you not worthy of bringing in enough $, then BEWARE.

Take additional EEOC and HR management training classes, because it is a matter of time before someone you hire with passion, drive and generally a nice person will eventually take them to court over some of the violations that occur daily.

Great Team in Manchester

Current Employee - Career Resource Specialist  in  Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rewarding position, great coworkers, flexibility. Teamwork is the key to surviving this challenging job!

Cons

Nobody can live on the wages paid in human services. Poor mileage compensation, potential for a lot of driving, and expectations/caseloads can change at a moment's notice. Management does not always understand the challenges that CRS' face in the field. There are days when one feels that "They don't pay me enough for this".

Directors and higher level management should take a more active role in working with clients and support the team when staffing is low. Those who transport clients need better financial compensation for use of their vehicles.

Great Learning Experience

Current Employee - Career Resource Specialist

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited full-time for more than a year

Pros

I feel I learned excellent time management skills as well as professionalism pertaining to coworkers, superiors, clients, and client's family members/support

Cons

Sometimes can spill into personal time because schedule varies and changes/use of own cell phone. A lot of flipflopping in regards to expectations (push for client services, then discuss budgeting issues which ties to client services)

Stay consistent with goals, recognize and reward "A" work instead of asking why it's not an "A+"

Unstable

Current Employee - Career Resource Specialist  in  Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited

Pros

Decent benefits, 401K's are offered after 1 year, full health benefits and paid time off is offered.
    Anything you do that is work related you will receive compensation for; Phone calls, e-mails, preparations, research etc.

Cons

They make you use your own vehicle with minimum compensation for mileage, 80 miles per day is average.

Whatever you signed on for is what your benefits package will reap no matter how many hours you work- I signed on as part-time and began working 40-60 hours per week once I graduated college; I requested the full-time benefits package and they politely told me "where to put it".

No raises in the first year, raises upon annual review need to be "hounded for".

Listen to your employee's, hard workers in this industry that will accept the compensation as is are hard to come by.

Career Resource Specialist

Current Employee - Career Resource Specialist  in  Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Career Resource Specialist in Lowell, MA

I have been working at Work Opportunities Unlimited

Pros

advcancement opportunities, open communication between managers and staff, clear goals are set monthly through "30 Day Objectives," team building is encouraged.

Cons

limited compensation for mileage, amount of driving expected of all employees is at least 60 miles per day during the work day, salary is limited, expectations are set very high for top performers which can lead to burn-out...

to focus more on client services and not as much on the financials - although this is a for-profit company, the goals need to be centered around quality services for the individuals supported.

Never a dull moment

Current Employee - CRS

Pros

-Upper management very nice and work hard to equip employees for success
    -great 401K package. They match your investments
    -Holidays off
    -no nights or weekends
    -Bonuses for making job placements
    -variety of work

Cons

-High pressure to perform
    -Poor communication at times between staff
    -Low mileage reimbursement and lots of driving adding wear and tear on your car
    -No room to move up the management chain
    -high turnover causing stress organizing coverage
    -Pay low for the high stress work required.
    -Career development workload difficult to accomplish while providing excellent services to clients.
    -lots of busy work including paperwork and evaluations

Simplify the roles of CRS to focus on one area of what the office does. Employees have to wear too many hats. We do many things to acceptable standards. Why not have each person do only a few things in excellence.

Worked for Work Opportunities Unlimited? Contribute to the Community!