Work for Progress

Robert Brand

Fulfillment

Former Employee - Recruitment Director, Campaign Director  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Recruitment Director, Campaign Director in Denver, CO

Pros

I worked on a campaign with Work for Progress in Denver and Massachusetts to help put progressive candidates in office. It is the most fulfilling work I have ever done. It is a great learning experience for all those interested in organizing and there are amazing career opportunities depending on your interests. It's democracy in action.

Cons

If you are not prepared to work hard you will not excel. The job is definitely demanding, but that is the reason we do it!

Worst Job in America - Don't believe any of the positive reviews, they write the reviews themselves

Former Employee - Assistant Canvass Director  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Canvass Director in Boulder, CO

Pros

You get to pretend to feel important

Cons

15 hour work days - 7 days per week, $24,500 a year salary which comes out to roughly $4.10/hr after taxes.

Work for Progress' entire strategy is hire as many people as they can and then work them to death until they quit or they have grounds to fire them. They have incredibly high quotas and hire innocent people thinking that they have a job. The problem is that you have to knock door to door so quickly that it is almost impossible to not meet the quotas.

I am not sure how this company gets away with blatantly violating labor laws but this company employs practices that would have made slave owners in the antebellum south tell them to calm down. They are weird, pushy, aggressive, uncompromising and only care about the bottom line.

Quit! Destroy this company! Even upper management isn't paid well. It is the head guys at the top that get the money. The best way to fix this organization is to stop it from existing.

A detriment to the Progressive Movement.

Pros

Can gain managerial experience as a recent college graduate if you are hired on to a managerial position. Unfortunately, it may involve selling your soul.

Cons

Work for Progress is closely aligned with Fund for the Public Interest. Work for Progress hires people to run unethical fundraising canvassing operations for the Fund for the Public Interest. These operations treat their canvassers as expendable. They have extremely fast turnaround because the job sucks. They have to make quota every night, regardless of weather (Canvass during rain and dangerously extreme heat) or the suitability of the neighborhood being canvassed. Even if a canvasser collects way above their quota for a few months, if they miss the quota for three days in a row, or miss their weekly average quota two weeks in a row, they are fired.

People often do not make quota, and are fired. Others quit after a couple weeks because to make quota, you must walk quickly from door to door for 5 hours straight in the hopes you find people willing to actually talk to you, and canvassers are often treated poorly while doing so by the residents they encounter. A canvasser makes minimum wage unless they collect more than their quota.

Since the job sucks so much, and since its hard to keep employee morale up when you fire them constantly, the Fund for the Public Interest pressures their employees to attend social gatherings after every single night of work. If you are a manager, this means that after 13 hours of work, you will be expected to pressure your employees to go eat out somewhere or have some drinks as a group. This is all in the hope that enough people will want to actually continue working theri so they can continue to see their co-workers, who they have likely developed friendships with.

Ultimately the Fund for the Public Interest, and as such Work for Progress, does not work with their employees on progressive issues. They use and exploit their employees for progressive issues. If you are actually progressively minded, and care for people, and for people's labor rights, you will not want to be hired by work for progress. Their partner Fund for the Public Interest has actually busted union efforts in the past.

Work for Progresses website acknowledges they are partnered with the Fund for the Public Interest. This is a very very close partnership. If you are hired by Work for Progress, you likely will be working with Fund for the Public Interest on one of their campaigns. The Fund for the Public Interest subsequently partners with organizations such as Environment America, US PIRG, Human Rights Campaign, FairShare Alliance. While these organization's stated ends may be of good substance, the methods the fund for the public interest uses to achieve them often are not justifiable. To get a good idea of the organization you will likely end up working for, Fund for the Public Interest, please look them up on this website. There are tons of reviews which provide a good warning.

Stop partnering with The Fund for the Public Interest. They exploit their employees, and are a detriment to the progressive movement. Even if you achieve some goals, how many potential true progressive leaders have been disillusioned due to the unethical methods they encountered with this unfortunately large organization? Have you gained some small goals while ultimately destroying our country's chance of having a society which is truly supportive of all people? The leaders you are cultivating are the type that are more interested in their own advancement then the rights and quality of life of the people. Reorganize with a structure which takes the worth and self interest of your workers and society to heart. Any organization which functions on manipulation rather than serving their workers true self interest is counter to everything the Progressive movement should and could be.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great organization where you learn a lot.

Former Employee - Campaign Director  in  Grand Junction, Mesa, CO
    Former Employee - Campaign Director in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

Pros

- Great management
    - Learn a lot with excellent year round training
    - Given important responsibilities from day one
    - Excellent growth opportunities
    - Good benefits and tuition reimbursement

Cons

-Must work for a year to be eligible for the 401k. On plus side you get health care benefits right away.

Regional Director

Pros

I go to sleep proud of the work I do every night. I'm organizing a movement and making a difference in my community and across the country. The travel is fun too.

Cons

It IS hard work, but if social change were easy, than this job wouldn't exist.

State Organizer

Pros

I see my work make a difference. I also get to travel all over the country to places that are brand new to me! I also get to go to bed every night knowing I make a difference.

Cons

It is hard work, as is expected with social change. You do have to come in some weekends, but if time is managed well, you shouldn't have to work 7 days a week!

More collaboration between senior campaign staff and the people in the states working in the field.

Working on Issues That Matter!

Former Employee - Campaign Director  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Campaign Director in Denver, CO

Pros

During the 2012 election, I was a Director with Work For Progress in several Colorado cities and congressional districts. I had a great experience working with a diverse group of people who were all motivated to make a difference in terms of progressive issues in our country. I made hundreds of new friends and had one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

1. Great experience working on issues I care about
    2. Excellent opportunities to take on leadership and responsibility early in my career
    3. Work with a motivated staff who work hard to make an impact on some of the nation's most progressive issues
    4. Develop strong communication, leadership and grassroots organizing skills that I have carried with me to Work For Progress partner organizations and life, in general

Cons

1. Pushed to work harder than I have at any other job. But to honest, I was working on an exciting election and came out of the experience gaining more than I expected

Bait & switch, slave labor

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Hiring large numbers of people.

Cons

Work 7 days a week, 15 hours a day, no days off. Very disorganized. They have people coming in to work literally 7 days a week, whether they have work for them or not. They hire people at 'management' position, then tell them they aren't needed in the role so they change title to 'Campaign Associate', pay just above min req salary for 80+ hr canvassing-less than min wage

Pay a decent salary, give people days off, lunch breaks. Don't lie in interview process. For an organization claiming to be 'progressive', working on issues like worker's rights, you sure treat yours like crap. Don't expect non-management, non-professional positions to work for a salary. Comply with federal labor laws.

Worked for Work for Progress? Contribute to the Community!