Work for Progress Reviews

Crystal Bergeman

Meaningful Work

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Work for Progress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What I love most about Work for Progress is that the organization is devoted to doing good work, which means that the company culture is directed toward inclusiveness, friendliness, and support. I also like that the company strongly believes that anyone could succeed as an employee, as long as that person works hard and is devoted. The training program is also rigorous and keeps people sharp. I am consistently amazed at how quickly people learn skills and get promoted within the organization.

Cons

The hours can be long and, since it is a nonprofit, the compensation is not high. The company provides good benefits, however. Also, it takes a while to get used to the hours and the level of difficulty of the work.

Advice to Management

It would be great if the company would tailor some of the training to people with more experience at the beginning. Some of the training can be tedious for those with experience.

Great mission, weak operations

Former Employee - Assistant Campaign Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Campaign Director in Denver, CO

Pros

Employees here are smart, energetic, passionate and hard-working. It's exciting to work in an environment where we're always in full-throttle mode and have new, bigger goals.

Cons

Very very long hours, combined with low pay (even in the non-profit scale) can make it a hard place to work without burning out.

Manipulative and just sort of eh

Pros

Good pay for the effort, if you can handle the constant social interaction and the physical part of the job the pay is decent for what it is.

Cons

Managers are very pushy and very much try to cultivate a sort of "community" atmosphere to try to motivate people to work harder. They arrange outings after scheduled work hours for this same purpose. The lack of transparency is astounding.

5. Overall good experience

Current Employee - Field Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Field Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Work for Progress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent for the work you're doing. Coworkers and supervisors are all very friendly.

Cons

A little disorganized, but that could be due to the frantic nature of election season!

Nov 3, 2014 – Recruitment Managing Director

Thanks for your hard work!

6. The management team and co-workers made it very enjoyable.

Former Employee - Canvasser in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at Work for Progress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the exercise and knowing I was making a difference.

Cons

Walking so far for so long was very hard on my back.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management would be to set aside more time to rehearse the raps.

Nov 3, 2014 – Recruitment Managing Director

Thanks for your hard work and thanks for the feedback.

Worst Job in America - Don't believe any of the positive reviews, they write the reviews themselves

Former Employee - Assistant Canvass Director in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Canvass Director in Boulder, CO

I worked at Work for Progress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to pretend to feel important

Cons

15 hour work days - 7 days per week, $24,500 a year salary which comes out to roughly $4.10/hr after taxes. Work for Progress' entire strategy is hire as many people as they can and then work them to death until they quit or they have grounds to fire them. They have incredibly high quotas and hire innocent people thinking that they have a job. The problem is that you have to knock door to door so quickly that it is almost impossible to not meet the quotas. I am not sure how this company gets away with blatantly violating labor laws but this company employs practices that would have made slave owners in the antebellum south tell them to calm down. They are weird, pushy, aggressive, uncompromising and only care about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Quit! Destroy this company! Even upper management isn't paid well. It is the head guys at the top that get the money. The best way to fix this organization is to stop it from existing.

Jan 8, 2015 – Recruitment Managing Director

We're sorry that you had a bad experience. We are upfront about the work and especially when we are partnering with groups working on election campaigns, we're sure to tell candidates that they'll be ... More

A detriment to the Progressive Movement.

I worked at Work for Progress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can gain managerial experience as a recent college graduate if you are hired on to a managerial position. Unfortunately, it may involve selling your soul.

Cons

Work for Progress is closely aligned with Fund for the Public Interest. Work for Progress hires people to run unethical fundraising canvassing operations for the Fund for the Public Interest. These operations treat their canvassers as expendable. They have extremely fast turnaround because the job sucks. They have to make quota every night, regardless of weather (Canvass during rain and dangerously extreme heat) or the suitability of the neighborhood being canvassed. Even if a canvasser collects way above their quota for a few months, if they miss the quota for three days in a row, or miss their weekly average quota two weeks in a row, they are fired. People often do not make quota, and are fired. Others quit after a couple weeks because to make quota, you must walk quickly from door to door for 5 hours straight in the hopes you find people willing to actually talk to you, and canvassers are often treated poorly while doing so by the residents they encounter. A canvasser makes minimum wage unless they collect more than their quota. Since the job sucks so much, and since its hard to keep employee morale up when you fire them constantly, the Fund for the Public Interest pressures their employees to attend social gatherings after every single night of work. If you are a manager, this means that after 13 hours of work, you will be expected to pressure your employees to go eat out somewhere or have some drinks as a group. This is all in the hope that enough people will want to actually continue working theri so they can continue to see their co-workers, who they have likely developed friendships with. Ultimately the Fund for the Public Interest, and as such Work for Progress, does not work with their employees on progressive issues. They use and exploit their employees for progressive issues. If you are actually progressively minded, and care for people, and for people's labor rights, you will not want to be hired by work for progress. Their partner Fund for the Public Interest has actually busted union efforts in the past. Work for Progresses website acknowledges they are partnered with the Fund for the Public Interest. This is a very very close partnership. If you are hired by Work for Progress, you likely will be working with Fund for the Public Interest on one of their campaigns. The Fund for the Public Interest subsequently partners with organizations such as Environment America, US PIRG, Human Rights Campaign, FairShare Alliance. While these organization's stated ends may be of good substance, the methods the fund for the public interest uses to achieve them often are not justifiable. To get a good idea of the organization you will likely end up working for, Fund for the Public Interest, please look them up on this website. There are tons of reviews which provide a good warning.

Advice to Management

Stop partnering with The Fund for the Public Interest. They exploit their employees, and are a detriment to the progressive movement. Even if you achieve some goals, how many potential true progressive leaders have been disillusioned due to the unethical methods they encountered with this unfortunately large organization? Have you gained some small goals while ultimately destroying our country's chance of having a society which is truly supportive of all people? The leaders you are cultivating are the type that are more interested in their own advancement then the rights and quality of life of the people. Reorganize with a structure which takes the worth and self interest of your workers and society to heart. Any organization which functions on manipulation rather than serving their workers true self interest is counter to everything the Progressive movement should and could be.

9. Fulfillment

Former Employee - Recruitment Director, Campaign Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Recruitment Director, Campaign Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Work for Progress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked on a campaign with Work for Progress in Denver and Massachusetts to help put progressive candidates in office. It is the most fulfilling work I have ever done. It is a great learning experience for all those interested in organizing and there are amazing career opportunities depending on your interests. It's democracy in action.

Cons

If you are not prepared to work hard you will not excel. The job is definitely demanding, but that is the reason we do it!

Jan 8, 2015 – Recruitment Managing Director

Thanks for your review. It's definitely very hard work but we hope that you also found is fulfilling and worthwhile.

Great organization where you learn a lot.

Former Employee - Campaign Director in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO
    Former Employee - Campaign Director in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

I worked at Work for Progress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great management - Learn a lot with excellent year round training - Given important responsibilities from day one - Excellent growth opportunities - Good benefits and tuition reimbursement

Cons

-Must work for a year to be eligible for the 401k. On plus side you get health care benefits right away.

11. Regional Director

I have been working at Work for Progress full-time

Pros

I go to sleep proud of the work I do every night. I'm organizing a movement and making a difference in my community and across the country. The travel is fun too.

Cons

It IS hard work, but if social change were easy, than this job wouldn't exist.

RSS Feed </> Embed